OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
He was a class act. Never understood how we let him go.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Respected him when he played for us. Quality. The tail end of his career disappointed me. Proof that it is a business. Enjoy retirement.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He had an opt out clause and exercised it. I don't think we wanted him to leave, but sometimes you can't stop them from doing so.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I never could understand why Alex would have wanted to leave here. All those wonderful seasons here, the rock solid stability and not to mention the great coaching. Some guys just don't know when they've got it good!!! rolleyes

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 06/03/22 08:16 PM.
1 member likes this: AZBrown
T
Legend
Legend
T
A Nothing event imo. And almost nobody retires as a Brown, a sign of (not) keeping a team together.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Throw, I think I know why. It's got to be the Cleveland weather!!!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I remember at the time Joe was trying hard to get him to stay.

I cannot say I blame him for leaving.

But who can ever forget:

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Mack is sorrowful reminder of how far Eric Mangini set this franchise back with his idiotic
Trade downs In that Draft.Browns had the 5th pick in that Draft and that Belichek wanna be
Wanted to show the NFL he could be a incredible judge of talent Also.
Mack very solid career. Super smart center. But you draft centers at 22 to turn a franchise around

V
Legend
Legend
V
Mack left because Sashi was deliberately tanking. End of story.

Legend
Legend
Class act... wish he was a life long brown...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I always thought Mack's performance in Draft Day was outstanding!

Cheers on retirement. Great career.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I am not sure about that. Mack played here through the 2015 season. I am pretty sure Brown became the GM in 2016.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
He was a class act. Never understood how we let him go.

We didn't let him go. We never wanted him to go. He opted to go.

I am not casting shadow on the guy, I just remember something a little sticky about how he left.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I am not sure about that. Mack played here through the 2015 season. I am pretty sure Brown became the GM in 2016.

Mack visited with the Browns in February. He met with coach Hue Jackson, director of football operations Sashi Brown and new offensive line coach Hal Hunter to see the direction of the Browns.

Brown said talks were about Mack's role and the new leadership's "vision for winning."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14884993/cleveland-browns-alex-mack-opting-contract

That was Sashi's first year. He had said it was important to keep our free agents and then we lost Mack, Schwartz, Gipson, and Benjamin.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Soooooo much missing context there ^...anyway...

We tried to get Mack to stay...Joe T tried to get Mack to stay...he wanted out...and he couldn't be stopped.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree that they wanted him to stay, but I actually chose that passage because I thought it provided a ton of context. The key phrase was "the new leadership's 'vision for winning." The Browns were about to cut salary and plan to acquire more draft capital. They were in no way trying to win in those first couple of years.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree that they wanted him to stay, but I actually chose that passage because I thought it provided a ton of context. The key phrase was "the new leadership's 'vision for winning." The Browns were about to cut salary and plan to acquire more draft capital. They were in no way trying to win in those first couple of years.

Ok...this is what I was referring to as lacking context:

"That was Sashi's first year. He had said it was important to keep our free agents and then we lost Mack, Schwartz, Gipson, and Benjamin."

Mack signed a contract with the Jags the year before his ultimate Browns opt-out in March 2016. We matched the Jags offer and brought Mack back. He wanted out the year BEFORE he was able to leave (without us stopping him)...so in 2015. Sashi was put in charge of football ops in January 2016. So...by that time, Mack had already tried to get out. Farmer was the GM until Jan 2016...Mack tried to escape in 2015...Pettine was the HC pre-2016 (and was a flop)...Hue Disaster was hired Jan 2016.

The Schwartz situation was mishandled by us AND his agent. We lost a very good player and Schwartz lost a ton of $$$. We offered him more money than anyone else and more than he signed-for elsewhere. That debacle was NOT about ^ "The Browns were about to cut salary and plan to acquire more draft capital."

Gipson had ONE good year in his entire career. He was - and remained - just a guy. He wanted - and got - paid way more than any team should have paid. That wasn't a salary cut and we got no draft capital back after he left. That was simply not seeing eye-to-eye on value...just like with Jarvis Landry last month.

Benjamin was always a 4th-5th WR who managed to get paid like a #2 in his second contract. Cut-and-paste to follow: He was - and remained - just a guy. He wanted - and got - paid way more than any team should have paid. That wasn't a salary cut and we got no draft capital back after he left. That was simply not seeing eye-to-eye on value...just like with Jarvis Landry last month.

2 members like this: mgh888, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks for the clarity. I now remember it playing that way as well.

Either way, it is old news and no need to hash over all that stuff.

A good player retired. I wish him well.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I think if you go back and check, Ray Farmer had more to do with Mack leaving then anyone else...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wasn't Ray Farmer the one that matched the contract Jacksonville offered that had the 2 year out?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Wasn't Ray Farmer the one that matched the contract Jacksonville offered that had the 2 year out?

Yes, and it also had a poison pill clause... Mack played one year, then in the second year, was injured and missed the rest of the season.. then left

Either way, Sashi didn't seem to have anything to do with it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V

Have you even bothered to read all the posts in this thread? Good God, man!

I don't want to talk about Sashi anymore. He's gone. But please, don't make things up.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wonder if Mack would have used the out if it wasn't Sashi and Hue. That's one that no one can really say. He might have realized the burn down and wanted out. This is one of those stories we will never hear the full of but I'd love to know more about.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good question. I don't know, but I do know when it went down and I provided proof, no matter what Daman says. And again, I am not going to get into a Sahsi argument. He's gone.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Lots of people are gone. Some I miss, some not so much.

I do wish Mack well, I never faulted him for leaving and I never felt like he crapped on us when he left.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
...I don't want to talk about Sashi anymore...

Well...you introduced Sashi to this thread.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm pretty sure Mack wanted out of here and we complied. He followed Shanahan.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by eotab

We did not comply...by signing the offer sheet that Jacksonville offered, we basically made Mack our property when he wanted gone. The next chance he got without being tied to us...he left.

1 member likes this: eotab
Legend
Legend

Have you even bothered to read all the posts in this thread? Good God, man!

I don't want to talk about Sashi anymore. He's gone. But please, don't make things up.

if you didn't want to talk about Sashi, why did you bring him up in the first place?

As for Sashi's role in Mack Leaving, it was Brown that set it up and literally gave up.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Congrats Alex. He was one of our good draft picks and players. Great career

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Mack visited with the Browns in February. He met with coach Hue Jackson, director of football operations Sashi Brown and new offensive line coach Hal Hunter to see the direction of the Browns.

Brown said talks were about Mack's role and the new leadership's "vision for winning."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14884993/cleveland-browns-alex-mack-opting-contract

That was Sashi's first year. He had said it was important to keep our free agents and then we lost Mack, Schwartz, Gipson, and Benjamin.

After offering Schwartz, and I believe Mack as well, record contracts at the time.

Gipson proved to be an average to slightly above average FS, not anywhere near what he wanted, and Benjamin was never more than average WR who was a decent returner.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by eotab

I think this is key. Mack played for 3 teams. All had Shanahan coaching them in some capacity. After playing for Shanahan, he followed him every chance he got.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by cle23

After offering Schwartz, and I believe Mack as well, record contracts at the time.

Gipson proved to be an average to slightly above average FS, not anywhere near what he wanted, and Benjamin was never more than average WR who was a decent returner.

IIRC, we would've killed for "slightly above average" at both FS and returner after those last 2 left.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Former Brown, Alex Mack, Retires

Link Copied to Clipboard