Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
888: Huge Baker fan. Does not like Watson.

How I feel about Baker does not impact how much I like Watson - not one iota.
How I feel about Baker does not impact the allegations that were levied against Baker.
How I feel about Baker *might* impact how I view the trade. But the trade - in my opinion - is a bust if DW is suspended for more than 10 games.

Despite liking Baker - the NFL is a business. When he played Watson was 'elite' at the most important position on the team. I can like Baker but embrace a new QB that is elite and gives the team a better chance to win a SB. But not one with 26 accusations that were levied against him. Who paid off a Spa owner's as if she was a pimp. A QB who already had a bad reputation with the team therapist for his conduct with therapists she booked. Who made therapists cry and acts like that's normal and nothing to do with him. Who shows zero remorse or empathy.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/23/22 07:46 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Floquinho
Legend
Legend
Never having been in a situation like Big Ben and Watson I can't say for sure what I would do, but I'd like to believe that if I knew I was innocent and being railroaded, that I would chose to fight rather than settle..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

WTF kind of hard drugs did you all consume last night?

We found some strange mushrooms spilled on the floor in Fantasy & Gaming.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Fate...not sure what might have gotten into some folks last night, but it sure is quiet this morning... grin

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: FATE
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Just booze. My mother-in-law passed away and my wife was w/her up in PA. I should not have come on here while being wasted. I apologize for all my dumb-ass posts.

Legend
Legend
I can only speak for myself...

BOZAL CUISHE
One of the most physically distinct species of agave, the Cuishe, a subspecies of the Karwinskii Family of agave, grows vertically as a single stalk with its leaves spreading at the top. Due to its unusual structure, and the stalk containing the firmer piña material, the Cuishe can be difficult to harvest and to work with in general. This agave offers aromas full of tropical fruit with a dry piney and mineral finish.

100% AGAVE KARWINSKII
PUEBLO: SAN LUIS AMATLÁN, OAXACA
PRODUCTION: ARTESANAL METHOD, COPPER POT STILL

On the steep precarious hillsides of Oaxaca, Guerrero and Durango varieties of agave, indigenous to the region, grow wild and are heavily sought after by the local mezcaleros. These varietals produce flavors that are exotically intense, with rich earth tones and savory smokiness. From the heart of the maguey these flavors are traditionally extracted to produce mezcal that is wildly refined. Because we at bozal believe that something wild produces a far richer spirit.

TASTE
Driven by intense citrus and strong minerality, the Cuishe has a dry entry. As is experienced in the rich tropical fruit on the palate that moves to sweet potato on the front. Green vegetal notes in the mouth and a dry smoky finish then follow. A complex flavor profile that proves quite enjoyable.

1 member likes this: mac
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Just booze. My mother-in-law passed away and my wife was w/her up in PA. I should not have come on here while being wasted. I apologize for all my dumb-ass posts.

Sorry for your loss.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My condolences to you and your wife.

Take care of you and yours first...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Milk: No longer a Baker fan. Views on Watson changing day by day as more info becomes available.

Bull: Same, I think?????

Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, I have a bit of a buzz on and I apologize if I missed anyone who has been vocal.

Kind of. Baker is kind of that attractive woman you didn't like because she was kind of bitchy and didn't give you the time of day. Then she starts to give you attention and you convince yourself that, hey, she's an attractive woman, why not. Unfortunately, spend any time around her and you realize she's a vapid narcissist, and you can't get away fast enough. She's still an attractive woman, but you'd much rather have her be someone else's problem day to day while occasionally enjoying the view.

I'm still in the don't know what to think of Watson off the field because none of the information feels concrete or it can be interpreted multiple ways, and the majority of the coverage has a very witch hunty feel. All the on the field/team culture stuff sounds good. So, I hope he's innocent and try to see ways that that could be the case because I'm not the kind of fan that wants to be miserable and spread misery around.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
To: OCD and Vers,

You both basically asked for my answer to "so... what now?" If I got that wrong, let me know.

I'll try to lay this out as clearly as possible. There are lots of gut feelings driving this that make it hard to logically talk through. "I feel how I feel, and that's just how it is." I just can't say for sure if I can root for a team with a sexual predator in such a visible role. It's something I really don't have an answer for... I don't know how I'm going to feel Week1 (or whenever he takes the field). Many of the details that were included were REALLY bad. Disgusting. I never got any sort of satisfaction from seeing Pittsburgh drawn into the Big Ben rape controversy, but I DID think really hard to myself "man, I'm so glad we don't have any of THAT on my team". Anecdotally, I've heard there is a contingent of Squeeler fans who have an asterisk next to the seasons he played.

It's tough to figure out. I have a lot of conflicting feelings. I'll just say that I had a personal situation that kinda runs parallel to this, which is why I think I'm stewing over this so much. To one of Vers's points... I do understand that we're talking about a pro athlete here. No team, ever, was made up of choir boys (except maybe those Mangini teams, and we saw how that turned out). Like I said before, Ray Lewis has a statue, as does Jim Brown. Dan Snyder probably, when all is said and done, come away with all his stuff with a slap on the wrist. Jerry Jones (IIRC has similar allegations as Snyder) probably won't have to deal with anything at all. That WR that basically never knew a woman he didn't want to hit just got a bajillion dollars to play in Miami... and never really had to be accountable to what he did. It's not right, but the reality is that the bar is MUCH lower for pro athletes (NFL players, in particular).
But that doesn't really clarify anything for me because I never had to cheer for those guys (usually cheered against them because of it).

Vers,
Knowing more facts could've led to me believing his side of the story more. That's what I was hoping for.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I really enjoyed this take on it.

I got a good laugh with your analogy.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE
"Knowing" what really went on was intersecting with a point on the graph known as "dumpster fire football team"; and I'll trade not knowing.

I don't need the gory details. Somewhere lost in the endless arguments between "but, but... a court of law..." and "22 women!!!" is a fact. I've said it many times, I'll say it again. Deshaun is a pervert. Plain and simple. And really, as the stories have unfolded, one of the biggest pigs in the (reported) history of the league. You don't really need to examine every case under a microscope to understand that.

As much as we all grew weary of Pit's "22 women!", he was 100% correct in one simple aspect... that doesn't happen by accident. It wasn't just a bandwagon. Regardless of any courts "decision" this lands squarely in the territory of "Houston, we have a problem".

Was he enabled? Maybe.
Was he unclear that he was crossing boundaries? Maybe at the beginning.
Was he clouded by the fact that many of these "sessions" resulted in him getting what he wanted? Good chance.
Was he warned that things were getting out of hand? YES. Yet he continued.

Is he remorseful? We'll find out.
Will time heal this wound? Time always does.

I've heard enough to know everything I need to know... #24 had me waving the white flag. It's not about "guilt" anymore, it's about what he does going forward. And truth be told, if his demeanor, beyond the timetable of the remaining litigation and suspension, is "I didn't do anything wrong"... there are not enough championships to make me respect him as a man.

Well said, and I do agree. Believe me, reading through these threads over the past few months, I was thinking to myself, "after 1-31, Holmgren, Mangini/Kokinis, Pettine/Farmer, the Shanny exit, the Manziel/Gordon/Kizer/Quinn v Anderson/etc sagas, is this really going to be the thing that breaks my fandom?" I'm still here after all that....

It would definitely help my feeling on the situation if he were to seek help and take his problem seriously. All reports prior to all this getting going was that he was an A+ human being.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Never having been in a situation like Big Ben and Watson I can't say for sure what I would do, but I'd like to believe that if I knew I was innocent and being railroaded, that I would chose to fight rather than settle..

Sometimes that is the smart thing to do, sometimes that is a dumb thing to do.

Of all the systems, I say being charged by a federal prosecutor results in more innocent people behind bars than anywhere else.

They simply work on deals. They don't want to try crap. Even if innocent, the circumstantial evidence against you leaves you with a decision of take 5 years, maybe out earlier, or go to trial where you might get a firm 20 years. It's easy to say you would take the risk, but would you??

In this case is there really a way to clear Watsons name. OJ was found not guilty and he never cleared his name. There are multiple others.

The system isn't set up for people to clear their name. The attorney for the plaintiff can paint any picture he or she wants before trial. Opinions in the public are made there. At some point people just want to get the nightmare over, guilty or not. Not to point at you so much, but your comment proves my point.

You also need to consider that cases like this usually aren't brought up because unless a lot of money is going to possibly be awarded, no attorney is going to take the case on contingency or pro bono. If it is just Joe Blow accused and it dies in or before criminal court, it never goes civil, it just goes away.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My mother-in-law passed away and my wife was w/her up in PA.

Vers - deepest condolences to you and your family on your loss.

We lost my mother-in-law not even 2 weeks ago, so I know what you're going through. Take care.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Sorry to hear that, Vers. Condolences.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Report: Settlement talks between NFL, NFLPA, and Deshaun Watson “fell apart”

Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2022, 1:17 PM EDT
link

Last week, we pointed out that a negotiated resolution of Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson‘s discipline was possible, but not likely. The problem was that Watson, as of last week, was determined to clear his name.

With Watson settling 20 of the 24 cases pending against him, that possibly will lay the foundation for a settlement between the league, the union, and Watson.

Josina Anderson of CBS Sports reports that negotiations have indeed occurred. However, talks “fell apart” regarding the extent of the punishment.

Negotiated discipline is not unprecedented. The outcome is announced as the punishment being final, with the player waiving his appeal rights.

Complicating matters for Watson is the fact that there’s no precedent for the new procedure that starts with the NFL proposing a punishment, continues with an independent Disciplinary Officer setting the discipline, if any, and the Commissioner having jurisdiction over any appeal from the player or the team. Unless the Disciplinary Officer decides to impose no discipline at all, Goodell gets the final crack at determining the punishment.

The best outcome for Watson would be to settle everything. Settle the lawsuits. Settle the discipline. Serve the suspension. And then come back, play good football, win games, stay out of trouble, and in time much of this incident will be forgotten. Just like it was for Ben Roethlisberger.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
To be honest...I need to find out more about what exactly 'fell apart'.

The first question that came to me was about 'negotiating discipline' ... I thought I heard the NFL proclaim that the discipline imposed by the NFL is not part of the settlement discussions where it was announced that 20 of the 24 cases were to be settled.

Reading the article leaves me with the impression that the NFL has engaged in exactly what they said would do...it sure appears that the NFL is tying the settlement talks into the business deal of settling 20 of the 24 lawsuits against Watson. I did say that 'it appears' that the NFL is linking punishment/settlement talks together...and I will say, this is where I need more details about what exactly fell apart and why.

Looking for more info...

P
Legend
Legend
P
I could be wrong, but I am a good reader. Have an advanced degree in English. For those of you who don't know, English at that level has almost nothing to do w/grammar, punctuation, etc. It's about interpreting the written word across a plethora of genres.

Watson's comments read more like he has been under a lot of pressure due to the public scrutiny and the weight of the accusations he is facing. He wan't to ensure that he is at his best mentally and emotionally on the field of play and to help him deal w/the negative attention. It does not read as an admission of guilt no matter how much some wish it to be true.

Exactly. I have no idea how or why the conversation went in the direction it has if one actually reads what he said. And I'm quite certain anybody needs an advanced English degree to see that. Or at least they shouldn't. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm just saying in this case his words aren't that nuanced nor complicated to understand.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't need the counseling, I just find it odd that one week after once again saying he was innocent, he settled and agreed to get counseling. But if he was innocent and just wanting to CLEAR his name, why did he need counseling?

Did we even read the same statement from watson? NOTHING in his statement even hints that this counseling is related to sexual issues or that it's something he "agreed to". It actually indicated it was more about the stress and pressure he's been under with the lawsuits. I have no idea how you came up with such conclusions based on his statement. And if you look at it, it appears the counseling has been ongoing and isn't new.

His statement about getting counseling came before the settlement, not after.

Now you can say that he claimed he didn't need counseling, which he did. But the setting was in regards to him needing counseling surrounding and involving the sexual allegations. Which nothing in his statement claims he is doing.

"It's been a long year and half, I can say that," Watson said. "Personally, it's been tough. And since I came here and since I became a Cleveland Brown, I've been able to use all the resources that this organization has. I've been able to start using counseling and talking with someone just to make sure that my mental is straight so I can be prepared to walk on this field and be as sharp as I possibly can.

"And I'm going to continue to do that, be the best person and grow as an individual, grow as a human being, and just be able to be the best citizen, best person that I can be outside this field, and also when I walk out of this building, be the best teammate and player that I can be."

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
There were 13--14 other teams who wanted to "bring him in."

Only four teams made any serious attempts to "bring him in". Even you know that no matter what you are posting here. To be nice I'll call that deceitful at best.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
He still has on-going cases, so he's really not going to say anything (at least anything he can't walk back).

It doesn't take a huge leap to connect the two, though.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
And my brother, pit? Can't stand him, but actually, it was 26 women I believe.

Where's the brotherly love man? I'm tellin' mom!

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Report: Deshaun Watson Suspension Negotiations 'Fell Apart' over Number of Games

JOSEPH ZUCKER
JUNE 23, 2022
link

Recent discussions over the length of the suspension that will be issued to Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson for violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy "fell apart," according to CBS Sports HQ's Josina Anderson.

Anderson reported the NFL, NFL Players Association and advisors for Watson were unable to reach an agreement over how many games he would be suspended.

Amid numerous allegations and 24 civil lawsuits accusing Watson of sexual assault or misconduct during massage therapy sessions, he missed the entire 2021 season with the Houston Texans. But the league has yet to render a final judgment after launching its own investigation into the allegations.

In May, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league was "nearing the end" of its inquiry. However, the New York Times' Jenny Vrentas reported on new allegations against Watson, a story that also implicated the Texans.

Per Vrentas, Watson said in a deposition he had alerted Houston's director of security, Brent Naccara, after a woman said she "could really expose you" in reference to the three-time Pro Bowler after he allegedly touched her and made unwanted sexual advances without her consent during massage sessions.

Watson said Naccara subsequently left a nondisclosure agreement in his locker, which he then began taking with him to massage appointments.

Per Vrentas, Watson also said in a deposition that the team had provided him with a membership to a private club and hotel where multiple massage therapy appointments were held and that membership was not in his name. One woman who had a massage appointment with Watson at the hotel said the room was under the name of a member of the Texans' training staff.

Vrentas' report led many to wonder whether the NFL's investigation would extend further or lengthen Watson's punishment.

The Washington Post's Mark Maske reported on June 17 the NFL believes Watson violated the league's personal conduct policy and should get a "significant" suspension. A season-long ban was cited as a possible outcome.

Mike Jones of USA Today also reported one year was the expected period of time.

Under the terms of the most recent collective bargaining agreement, the NFL cannot unilaterally hand down a suspension for Watson. An independent disciplinary officer—currently former district court judge Sue L. Robinson—weighs in as well, though the commissioner can amend the disciplinary officer's ruling when a suspension is deemed appropriate. Any suspension would also be eligible for appeal by the NFLPA.

"This first case being resolved under the new disciplinary system is a high-profile matter," Maske wrote. "A person on Watson’s side wondered whether Goodell might be reluctant to overturn the neutral arbitrator’s disciplinary ruling in the first case."

In the meantime, Watson has settled the majority of the civil lawsuits against him. Tony Buzbee, who represents the plaintiffs, said on Tuesday 20 of the 24 suits have been settled.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Exactly. I have no idea how or why the conversation went in the direction it has if one actually reads what he said. And I'm quite certain anybody needs an advanced English degree to see that. Or at least they shouldn't. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm just saying in this case his words aren't that nuanced nor complicated to understand.

I really, really doubt they are his words.... they are the words of hired help paid to improve his image by saying the right things. jmo but the odds are very strong.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
A
Legend
Legend
A
She disowned you.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Plese correct me if I am wrong. Also, I have a bit of a buzz on and I apologize if I missed anyone who has been vocal.

Consider yourself corrected. You refuse to admit that the reason everyone on your list objects to watson being the QB here is strictly due to the sexual allegations of 24 women. Most everyone on your list believes and has stated that watson is he better QB "on the field". I'm sure everyone on your list wants or wanted to see the Browns win a SB which the odds are certainly better with watson.

So according to your reasoning everyone on your list just hates watson and they're ire is because they love Baker?

Yes, consider yourself corrected.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
He still has on-going cases, so he's really not going to say anything (at least anything he can't walk back).

It doesn't take a huge leap to connect the two, though.

Exactly. I just find it hard to believe that people would actually read his statement and try to connect so many dots that aren't even there.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
yeah, I thought about correcting him as far as his assessment of me, but decided not to do that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
She disowned you.

She told me she disowned you. There she goes playing us against each other again.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
No, I didn't have everyone hating Watson and loving Baker.

Regardless, I was drunk on my ass and should have never posted last night. I apologize for all the BS I stirred up.

Legend
Legend
So sorry for your loss Vers. My sympathies to you and your family.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My deepest sympathies to you and your family Cap.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks to you and others who offered sympathies. You guys are kind. However, I don't want anymore of that. I feel bad for my wife and I drank too much. I just brought it up to apologize for my behavior last night. I was out of line. Hopefully, people can forgive and we can move on.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Watson be the Browns Starting QB...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard