Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1949995 06/11/22 10:38 AM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'm going under the knife for a TKR on 6/20. I have a good idea what I'm in for, but if any of you have experiences or tips to share with recovery I'd like to hear them. I'm really interested in how long it took before being able to get around and be active, like doing yard work, walking, cycling, etc.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have never had a knee replaced. My barber did and he recovered quickly. I'll ask him about it and get back to you. You've had a lot to deal w/lately. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

I guess I can offer a little advice. I have had two surgeries on my neck, one involving my carotid artery and another knee surgery. Try to be as physically strong as possible before the surgery and have a positive outlook. I did everything the docs said and asked my PT to push me as hard as possible. I recovered from all three much faster and better than anticipated. I know a knee replacement is different, but attitude goes a long way. Again.................best of luck.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My 86 year old mother had both knees replaced. The doctors had her walking on it the day of surgery!

I don't know how long it will take to do yardwork, etc... I think once the soreness and inflammation heal, not long.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no idea about knee replacement surgery but I wish you well and hope for you to have a speedy recovery.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good luck. I hope all goes well. I will pray for a successful procedure, and a speedy recovery.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I had both hips replaced 5+ years ago (3 months apart), and I'm guessing, since I believe you work in healthcare, that you have probably thought of or know about anything I might tell you. But here goes, anyway ...

Pain management - once you get to post-op, its going to hurt; use the morphine pump they'll most likely provide - but use it judiciously. If you use it all, they won't give you more. Once you get home, get off the oxy as soon as possible. I asked my doc to switch me to percocet after a week of oxycodone. It didn't work as well, but I felt much better. The oxycodone gave me bizarre dreams when I slept, and flopsweat and nausea when awake. Percs are much easier to wean yourself off of.

Living arrangements - until your PT rehab is well established, make sure you have a 1st floor place to sleep, hopefully close to the bathroom. In the bathroom, some handholds in the shower and near the toilet are helpful and will help assure you don't fall. You do not want to fall. Think about getting a shower chair until you're strong enough to hold yourself up. I'm older than you, well into my 60s, so peeing a lot at night was problematical. I ordered some plastic jugs that truck drivers use on long trips. They're cheap, and avail on Amazon or Ebay. Search "pee bottles for truckers".

PT - do your daily exercises faithfully. This, more than anything else, will get you back to your normal activities.

Last - your sworn enemies, post-op, are 1. infection and 2. blood clot (DVT). Keep the incision/stitches as clean as possible, take your temperature often, keep the leg elevated and iced. Get out of the hospital as quickly as possible - my doc says that's where most infections originate. To avoid blood clots, try to get up and walk around every hour or so. After my left hip was done, my doc scheduled a routine ultrasound exam on both legs. Turns out I had a blood clot behind my left knee. Had to go on an aspirin regimen until it tested clear.

That's it ... Best of luck, JF ... wishing you the best.

Legend
Legend
Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I've got nothing for you. My dad worked at a hospital for 48 years. He refused a knee replacement.

Have an uncle that just had it done perhaps 2 months ago? He did fine.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jfanent
I'm going under the knife for a TKR on 6/20. I have a good idea what I'm in for, but if any of you have experiences or tips to share with recovery I'd like to hear them. I'm really interested in how long it took before being able to get around and be active, like doing yard work, walking, cycling, etc.

Good luck with all of that.

Psst..If I was you I would be good to go for everything, but would drag out the yardwork part as long as possible. thumbsup

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Lol, wish I could. I have one of those yards where, if you don't stay on top of things, it will be overgrown with weeds in no time. 3/4 acre with lots of edges and boundaries.....patio, picnic area, flower beds, dog area, driveway circle, etc. All the neigborhood kids and my son are grown up and moved out. Used to be able to flash a 20 when I had odd jobs and they'd all be fighting over who got to do it. I'll do a good weed whacking right before the surgery and that should be good for 2-3 weeks and my neighbor will cut the grass.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Let us know how it goes. I would like to get one knee replaced. My wee knee

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Let us know how you do with this my prayers for you and your doctors to have a good day. I haven't had a TKR, but am recovering from a BTK. It is a daily struggle. My wife had two totals and had to go back for an "adjustment" on one after PT couldn't do enough (they force and break the scar tissue). Avoid that if possible. We learned as we went. Keep pain covered up with meds. Limit them if you can. Taking them early at first may help, but step down the type and frequency. We/she learned about icing properly. Also do your PT and your daily exercises. She walked day one or ASAP. Try to get some extra sleep for a couple days before you go in; hospitals are insanely hostile around the clock when you need to rest. There will be pain; suffering is optional. I am just getting more viable with multiple devices; she was in about three months. The vigorous work can be done now, but the squatting, kneeling, crawling on your knees will never feel "right" after.

Keep it clean and dry. Get out of the hospital ASAP. Get help if you see something happening that you don't understand. Everything you probably know already. You can do this and get beyond it. Be strong!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Knee replacements aren't nearly as bad as reading this board !

Seriously , you're gonna hurt and rehab will suck. So be ready for some work and pain.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Wish you luck J and a speedy recovery. Never had a knee done but I've had both hips done. First one was a little tough the first 3 or 4 days after surgery. The 2nd one was a lot better. I was operated on at 8 in the morning and home by 4:30 in the afternoon. I actually woke up halfway through the surgery was laying on my side. I could hear the hammering and sawing going on and asked the nurse what time it was. He told me and the next thing I knew I was in recovery. The Doctor must have said knock this clown out again!!!!

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Same here. If everything goes well, I'll be going home same day also. That must have been a helluvan experience, waking up during the surgery. I would freak the eff out!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Wish you luck J and a speedy recovery. Never had a knee done but I've had both hips done. First one was a little tough the first 3 or 4 days after surgery. The 2nd one was a lot better. I was operated on at 8 in the morning and home by 4:30 in the afternoon. I actually woke up halfway through the surgery was laying on my side. I could hear the hammering and sawing going on and asked the nurse what time it was. He told me and the next thing I knew I was in recovery. The Doctor must have said knock this clown out again!!!!

[Linked Image from media3.giphy.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: oobernoober
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Honestly, they did tell me it could happen. I only received a spinal for my 2nd replacement. 1st time it was a general anesthesia if I remember correctly. I was in the hospital for 2 days for my 1st one. The 2nd was easier, and I recovered quicker and like I said went home the same day. 3 years between the 2 operations. Guess the techniques got better. Anyways the banging and sawing didn't bother me. I wasn't awake any more than 30-40 seconds and I was in no pain.

L
Legend
Legend
L
No advice to give because I’ve not had a knee replaced, but I know a few people who have and all said the same thing: once the post-op pain recedes - and there will likely be pain - all were glad they had it done.

Good luck, Jfan.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Hey buddy, good luck with the surgery. thumbsup

My only experience is my MIL, she had both replaced and came through with flying colors. What I will say about her experience is that she followed rehab to a "T". If they said one hour -- she set a timer... If they said three times a day, she set a schedule to divide her day evenly. Over-the-top adherence to the program, but it all paid off.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1950454 06/13/22 07:10 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, very important in any rehab.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
In and out in 1 day. I am absolutely shocked at how little pain there is. I had a nerve block that will last 24-36 hours and I'm sure it will not be so pleasant after that. I had the surgery at 9am, and was out of the hospital at 6:30pm. They had me do 2 bouts of physical therapy to make sure the new joint was functioning correctly, assess the range of motion and to teach me the exercises and everything I have to do at home to hasten the recovery. I'll be using a walker for a few days, but I actually can climb steps. Right now, the knee hurts much less than it did prior to sugery, and my range of motion is really good according to their charts. I just took a Percocet as recommended by PT as a pre-emptive measure (along with lots of icing), but I'm not having much pain. Hopefully I won't be regretting this post in the morning, lol.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
6 members like this: TTTDawg, PitDAWG, 3rd_and_20
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Glad everything went well for you...good luck.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Glad you're doing well.

People react to surgeries differently. I know that I have had less pain post surgery in almost every surgery I have gone through. (1 knee, 2 shoulders, and a carpal tunnel) My doctor said that he's had patients all over the scale, often 2 patients, with identical symptoms, x-rays, etc ..... and different surgical outcomes, pain levels, and so forth.

I spoke to my pain doctor, and she said that some people processsurgical pain differently than others.

Just be happy you';re on the good side of things. laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow! That's awesome.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Glad to hear, Bubba.

You will be back to good in no time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
One of my best friends had a knee done recently.

He said it was painful and it took some time to feel good. Lots of rehab but it improved greatly.

My sister had her hip done. It did not go well. She had to have it operated on again.

It has been over a year and she still is on a cane and struggling.

Kind of case by case thing. Knee replacement is pretty common now. So, in most cases it goes well.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Glad it went well - good luck with your rehab. thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sounds great so far. Once the nerve blocker wears off I think the pain might increase a bit but even if it does, it will ease over time. Please keep us updated.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I had both knees replaced at the same time.Titanium thumbsup

They were going to do one knee and schedule the other after the first knee
healed up somewhat(painwise).

Nyet. Nada. Nein. Nope. I opted for both at the same time. My thinking was, you wouldn't have "twice" the pain if they did both knees instead of one. You'd just be in pain.

Best decision I've ever made.

GodSpeed on your surg.

Last edited by TTTDawg; 06/21/22 09:13 PM.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Glad things are going well so far. you're in health care, so you know full well "follow what you're told." Hope things continue well for you.

Legend
Legend
Great news! We found that ice is your best friend. Getting that thing's pain covered up before bedtime and icing down later will help you rest well. Better soon, I am sure. Doing this will make the morning better as well. Heal, dude!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Great news! We found that ice is your best friend. Getting that thing's pain covered up before bedtime and icing down later will help you rest well. Better soon, I am sure. Doing this will make the morning better as well. Heal, dude!

Yep, keeping it iced down big time. (big bag of frozen peas works better than ice). I wasn't expecting this much swelling, my leg is huge, even with the icing. I was reassured that this is normal and will last 3-5 days. It really cuts down on the range of motion, though. It hurts and it takes a lot to loosen up after sitting/lying awhile, but the pain is manageable. PT said I'm right where I should be.

TTT, that's impressive having both done at the same time. I rely an awful lot on the good side to stabilize everything with transfers and the exercises.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Did your doctor talk to you about one of those one of those electric cold therapy machines? I used one after my knee surgery and it was very helpful. My wife probably asked for it when I was still under anesthesia. I think they cost a little less than $200.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
They sent me home with one of those Polar units., but I prefer a large bag of frozen peas in a gallon Ziploc baggie.. It stays cold longer and molds perfectly around the knee .

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
All this talk about swelling makes me think I should get that surgery I mentioned earlier. naughtydevil

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jfan...hope all is going well and hopefully the swelling and pain levels have subsided a bit..?

Any updates..

mac #1954349 06/30/22 01:03 PM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
jfan...hope all is going well and hopefully the swelling and pain levels have subsided a bit..?

Any updates..

Thanks. Things were going really well until day 6, Saturday morning.....I have a bad case of cellulitis going down my shin from just below the incision to the top of my foot, with quite a bit of swelling. I called the doc and went to the ER Sunday morning when it looked like it was getting worse. It burns and hurts worse than anything that the surgery could dish out. I was doing the exercises religiously and had 2 PT sessions until this kicked in. I'm on some antibiotics and some meds to control the burning pain from the cellulitis, and I'm getting up and walking once an hour and stretchching to keep the ROM I've gained. It's still red and burning, and I have a follow up tomorrow morning. Other than the cellulitis, the knee pain isn't really bad, I don't need any assistance to walk. I never really needed the walker or cane, even on the first day. I can fully straigten the knee and and can easily get it past 90 degrees once it loosens up. Between the cellulitis, swelling and residual bruising, it's not a pretty sight though. I just want to get thru this and get to the serious recovery training.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man jfan, you have had a lot to deal w/recently, including the Covid bout.

Wishing you well...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hope things turn around quickly for you.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jfan...I just did a bit of research to understand what cellulitis was. From what I've read cellulitis is not uncommon but it can take a while to cure and as you have already pointed out..it can be painful. Just what you need, dealing with bit more pain. Maybe you can talk the Docs into giving you the 'good stuff'.. grin

Keep us posted and good luck..

Last edited by mac; 06/30/22 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Knee replacement

Link Copied to Clipboard