Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1950570 06/14/22 10:12 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
This is a good take on the flaws of the North.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I watched the video last night - I thought it was interesting and very fair.

If the Ravens RB's are as nicked up as he seemed to suggest - that could be a major issue for the Ravens.
I agree with his take on Pickett - my NFL comp for Pickens at draft time was Mason Rudolph. Guess we may get a real feel for just how good Tomlin is this year.
Bengals weakness on D has traditionally been their LB core. I don't know what their secondary looks like this year but from a friend who is a fan, they are in the best situation at LB they have been at for a while.
With the Browns - I was expecting a slight nod to the depth at WR. But again, what he highlighted was fair.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like this guy's videos. He made a lot of good points. Here are my takes on the weakest areas of each team.

Ravens: I think their pass protection is poor. I think they gave up the second most sacks in the league last year. I also don't think they have any pure pass rushers on the DL and have to rely more on blitzing.

Steelers: I think their OL was awful last year. They were near the bottom of PFF's OL rankings last year. I do agree that the QB situation is poor, especially there are so many good QBs in the AFC.

Bengals: They made some changes on the OL this off-season, but they were horrific last year. I gotta see them actually play better on the field before I can say they are not a weakness. Also, Burrow has had some injury concerns and he seems to fall awkwardly quite a bit. Who is the Bengals' backup? Brandon Allen?

Legend
OP Online
Legend
IMO Trubisky is way better than Pickett.

Before the Watson deal I wanted to sign Trubisky. I thought he was ruined by the Bears. He came into the NFL young and very inexperienced.

He was thrown into a offense that was not suited to his skills and he was vastly unprepared. And he was not all that bad under horrible circumstances.

He is a strong athletic guy with good movement skills. He is tough. And his teammates and coaches love the guy.

He may not be real accurate but in the right system he could do well.

Pickett did not impress me. He is like a lot of college qb's. Not far from Rudolph or AJ McCararron.

The Browns. If they had to go with Brissett all year. It would not shock me if we still made the playoffs.

IMO the Bengals are good. A lot went their way last season. But they have a good offense. I believe in Burrow. There holes are on defense.

I have great respect for Harbaugh. His teams are prepared and play hard. Lamar has faults but he also has strengths.

If DW plays the full season. In my mind the Browns are the best team.

Brissett with this team is an unknown. He is better than Case. But it is doubtful he could win in the playoffs against playoff teams.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I have ton of respect for Harbaugh too - before we got KS, there was crazy talk about Harbaugh leaving the Ravens as they had apparently struggled for a season or two. I don't know how serious that talk was - but he was top of my list of preferred choices if he ever did become available.

Bengals are going to be a super interesting team to watch this year - post Superbowl let down? or have the significant additions to their OL done enough to turn a lethal offense into an unstoppable offense? Someone scoffed at me last year when I mentioned how good Joe Mixon is ... he isn't Nick Chubb good, imo, but he is top 6. Their WR weapons are insane. I'd easily make a case they are the best core in the NFL. Good job we have Newsome, Greedy and Ward !

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The North battles will be intense as usual.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Mixon is incredibly underrated, and it's crazy how young their offensive core is.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: AZBrown
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I think the Ravens have some shortcomings at WR.
Is Bateman ready to claim that #1 role ?
Duerany (sp) is plenty fast. He is there line up all over
The field kinda WR . Jet sweep here there etc
That WR they drafted from OSU..he barely saw the field last
Year. Right now I just don't see any Ravens WR that makes
You lose sleep in trying to cover
The Ravens LBers historically a strength are kinda so so
Patrick Queen haa been not as advertised

The Steelers to me lack RB depth behind Harris
Snell and McFarland are very average
Their front 3 on defense could struggle minus Tuitt and Heyward
Getting a bit older

The Bengals weakness I believe is their lack of cohesion
On the oline , not talent. But Karas is very intelligent as
He was coached well in NE. Collins is a monster at RT.
Dallas will miss his intelligence and leadership
The only weakness I see proven talent behind Wilson and Pratt
But those 2 are seriously good LBers.they made plays
In the playoffs when needed

The Browns weakness In my opinion is how do they escape
The shadow of really being a inept franchise since
1999. 2 playoff appearences since then
The same issues have plagued this team this year as it has since
1999...questions at QB and WR.
When was the last time the Browns had a dangerous combo
At QB and WR for multiple years
Like Big Ben and AB...Manning and Harrison ...Ryan and Jones
Allen and Diggs...Burrow and Chase ...
I think WR is the biggest weakness on this team
They don't have a true number 1.
It's Cooper and a bunch of WRs you hope can emerge
As legit threats.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
Legend
Legend
I think the OL for the steelers will be an undoing. Their defense is very stout obviously, but they’re going to have to win games 13-10.

Baltimore will always be tough with good coaching and culture, and Cincy’s offense is so dynamic. I see both as big time threats, though I’m more scared of cincy due to Baltimore’s lack of passing game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Lamar Jackson has a social-media message for the world (or at least the Ravens): “I need $”
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2022, 11:48 AM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...the-world-or-at-least-the-ravens-i-need/

The Ravens have been ready to give quarterback Lamar Jackson a big pile of money. Until recently, he hasn’t been ready to take it. He apparently has now developed a real sense of urgency.

Both Jackson’s Twitter page and his Instagram page have a photo with this message: “I need $.”

Jackson may not appreciate the attention that the gesture will generate, but what does he expect? After months of not wanting to reach into owner Steve Bisciotti’s wide-ass-open vault, Jackson now seems ready to have the Brink’s truck back up to his doorstep.

He clearly deserves a second contract. The challenge becomes selecting the right dollars and structure. The Browns gave quarterback Deshaun Watson $230 million over five years, fully guaranteed. Why shouldn’t Jackson, the 2019 NFL MVP, expect the same deal — if not more?

The Ravens surely don’t want to fully guarantee five years at $46 million annually, given the possibility that the wear and tear from playing the position in a very physical way will catch up to him before the next five years expire. And that’s one of the biggest drawbacks of long-term, fully-guaranteed contracts. If the player can’t earn the money, the team needs someone else to play. And the team has less cap space for rewarding those other players who are playing, given the resources given to someone who is either too injured to play or no longer on the team.

Regardless, Jackson seems to be ready to get a deal done. The best way to do it would be to hire a good agent. The best way for the Ravens to make that happen could be to offer to gross up the contract value to cover the percentage of the compensation that gets paid as a fee — if as many believe Jackson doesn’t have an agent simply because he doesn’t want to pay one or two or three percent of the total amount to the person who negotiates it.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
When was the last time the Browns had a dangerous combo at Qb and WR for multiple years?

Tim Couch to Kevin Johnson was pretty cool.

Bernie Kosar to Webster Slaughter was pretty cool.

Baker Mayfield to Rashard Higgins.' "I woke up feeling dangerous."

(Browns' and odd first names? Did ya ever notice? Otto Graham. )

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg
Lamar Jackson has a social-media message for the world (or at least the Ravens): “I need $”
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2022, 11:48 AM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...the-world-or-at-least-the-ravens-i-need/

The Ravens have been ready to give quarterback Lamar Jackson a big pile of money. Until recently, he hasn’t been ready to take it. He apparently has now developed a real sense of urgency.

Both Jackson’s Twitter page and his Instagram page have a photo with this message: “I need $.”

Jackson may not appreciate the attention that the gesture will generate, but what does he expect? After months of not wanting to reach into owner Steve Bisciotti’s wide-ass-open vault, Jackson now seems ready to have the Brink’s truck back up to his doorstep.

He clearly deserves a second contract. The challenge becomes selecting the right dollars and structure. The Browns gave quarterback Deshaun Watson $230 million over five years, fully guaranteed. Why shouldn’t Jackson, the 2019 NFL MVP, expect the same deal — if not more?

The Ravens surely don’t want to fully guarantee five years at $46 million annually, given the possibility that the wear and tear from playing the position in a very physical way will catch up to him before the next five years expire. And that’s one of the biggest drawbacks of long-term, fully-guaranteed contracts. If the player can’t earn the money, the team needs someone else to play. And the team has less cap space for rewarding those other players who are playing, given the resources given to someone who is either too injured to play or no longer on the team.

Regardless, Jackson seems to be ready to get a deal done. The best way to do it would be to hire a good agent. The best way for the Ravens to make that happen could be to offer to gross up the contract value to cover the percentage of the compensation that gets paid as a fee — if as many believe Jackson doesn’t have an agent simply because he doesn’t want to pay one or two or three percent of the total amount to the person who negotiates it.

Lamar is going to Miami in 2023. Take that to the bank.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
This is a comically bad take IMHO.

Greg Roman is somewhat of a genius constructing an offense to fit Lamar's skill set. He is not an NFL level passer. The only reason he is successful passing is because of the extreme overcompensation his running ability forces on a defense. If Lamar leaves, he will regret it. Whoever signs him to a longterm deal will regret it. I think he has maybe a couple more years barring injury before his athletic edge is diminished and then he is toast.

Browns Weaknesses:

1. Morally bankrupt institution
2. Comically ignorant FO and owner
3. Worst QB situation in the division
4. One of the weakest receiving cores in the NFL. Washed up Cooper is the supposed star. Schwartz is a track star not a football player. DPJ is a slow No. 3 option. David Njokui is completely unreliable. Rookies?
5. Oline is the supposed strength yet they have not been healthy one year in the last three and the coach shows no ability to adjust.
6. Two great running backs, one of which is always hurt, and a coach that will not run them like Baltimore would.
7. Total loser franchise among total winner franchises, and the one other loser franchise has the best QB and leader in the division.
8. My prediction Browns dead last in the division as usual.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Receiving corps.

Corps refers to a group, such as the Marine Corps. Its spelling does not change in the singular or plural, but it is pronounced \KOR\ when singular and \KORZ\ when plural. Core can be a noun, verb, or adjective, but usually refers to the center or most important part of something. < definition. <

(pronounced like core when singular, or pronounced like cores when plural. )
spelled Corps either way.
spelled corps when singular Spelled Corps when plural.

When just one it's spelled corps and pronounced like core.

When More than one is referred to it's spelled corps, and pronounce like Cores. So it's corps either way.
Lamar Jackson. 2 years 75 million fully guaranteed. ... makes too much sense for both sides, so it won't happen.

To call yourself Baker Dawg doesn't even make sense anyway, because a Quarterback doesn't play defense and that is the ackronym of DAWG.
Originally Posted by Insignificant Hater
7. Total loser franchise
That's it Go Back to Oklahoma with no pro sports. Your quarterback plays in Carolina now, you never liked the Browns anyway
Thank you please drive through

Go buy a house underwater. Go burp a baby in a new shirt.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
There are lots of Browns fans that appreciate what Baker did for the team. But at the moment you are posting like a petulant 7 year old. Sign up at the Panthers forum and let them know how good Baker is going to be. No need to post here anymore as you clearly aren't Browns fan.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct. Baker is not with the Browns anymore.

Your post could be directed at those select few that are still bashing Baker, in every post, not?

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
You remind me of all those teenage "Couchgirl1999" types that flooded these boards in the beginning.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I don't believe I personally attacked any poster with my reply. In fact everything I said is verifiable with hard facts, with exception of number one and second.

Regarding number one, no problem if you don't think signing the "allegedly" most notorious sexual deviant in the history of professional sports to be the leader of your team and give him a quarter of a billion dollars, is something repugnant, you have the right to think that way.

Regarding number two, if you think doing number one is cool, then I understand how you disagree with me there too, no problem.

My post simply stated that I think the Browns will be as usual among the worst teams in the NFL this year, to put the damper on everyone's enthusiasm with a few facts. I also don't hold against you personally attacking me, but its more fun if you can make a coherent argument as to why I am wrong.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Correct. Baker is not with the Browns anymore.

Your post could be directed at those select few that are still bashing Baker, in every post, not?

To some extent. But I'll happily express my opinion of why posters trashing Baker are wrong. Trashing the team/franchise "just coz" is childish. The poster I addressed isn't a fan of the team, he is a BM fan. Great - I'm a BM fan and appreciate him. Hell I live in Charlotte and don't think I've ever watched a Panthers game in the 10 years I have lived here .... I will now. But the churlish abuse directed at all things Browns is not justified or welcome.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
You remind me of all those teenage "Couchgirl1999" types that flooded these boards in the beginning.
What about coach B?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Browns' and odd first names? Did ya ever notice?

Fair Hooker comes first to mind.

The best name currently on the field? Without doubt, Equanimeous St. Brown, GBP
His brother's name is Aon-Ra DET

This would is filled with colorful, creative people.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Baker_Dawg
Browns Weaknesses:

1. Morally bankrupt institution
2. Comically ignorant FO and owner
3. Worst QB situation in the division
4. One of the weakest receiving cores in the NFL. Washed up Cooper is the supposed star. Schwartz is a track star not a football player. DPJ is a slow No. 3 option. David Njokui is completely unreliable. Rookies?
5. Oline is the supposed strength yet they have not been healthy one year in the last three and the coach shows no ability to adjust.
6. Two great running backs, one of which is always hurt, and a coach that will not run them like Baltimore would.
7. Total loser franchise among total winner franchises, and the one other loser franchise has the best QB and leader in the division.
8. My prediction Browns dead last in the division as usual.

Originally Posted by mgh888
There are lots of Browns fans that appreciate what Baker did for the team. But at the moment you are posting like a petulant 7 year old. Sign up at the Panthers forum and let them know how good Baker is going to be. No need to post here anymore as you clearly aren't Browns fan.

Go ahead and say I'm not a Browns fan, mgh888, I pretty much agree with his points. But be ready for my reaction when you say it.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/10/22 11:44 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Baker_Dawg
I don't believe I personally attacked any poster with my reply. In fact everything I said is verifiable with hard facts, with exception of number one and second.

Regarding number one, no problem if you don't think signing the "allegedly" most notorious sexual deviant in the history of professional sports to be the leader of your team and give him a quarter of a billion dollars, is something repugnant, you have the right to think that way.

Regarding number two, if you think doing number one is cool, then I understand how you disagree with me there too, no problem.

My post simply stated that I think the Browns will be as usual among the worst teams in the NFL this year, to put the damper on everyone's enthusiasm with a few facts. I also don't hold against you personally attacking me, but its more fun if you can make a coherent argument as to why I am wrong.

Don't pay any attention to them. They are clueless about all things in MY reality and earn a good schooling every now and then. wink They can justify rooting for a predator all they want, we don't have to and we can point them out like a turd in the pool every Sunday. Good times and silver linings in a crappy situation. I'm not going to leave the team I've rooted for the last 50 years just because they signed a deviant.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum AFC North team flaws

Link Copied to Clipboard