Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Some posters keep stating that they think he is going to get off for little or no punishment based on lack of criminal charges and/or specific evidence from each case.

Name those posters. You can't!

People only bring up Watson not being convicted or charged w/a crime when other posters refer to Watson as rapey, a predator, a bad dude, a sexual deviant, etc.

Stop making crap up.

Versatile Dog and hitt to name a couple.

I know I am calling you guys out, but come on, at some point you have to admit, he obviously did some things that are not ok..even if he can't be criminally charged for them.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Would YOU be ok with a male walking into your place of work, showing you his junk and asking if you want to touch it?

I think to keep it in proper context, you would need to say "a female walking into your place of work, showing you her junk and asking if you want to touch it?"

Just saying.

I disagree...

It is offensive no matter what the gender is, but let's be realistic, the typical male would not be overly offended by a woman doing something like this, whether it is nature or what ever. The same is not true when it comes to the same sex. The reality is, gender does not matter. The act alone is offensive to people, that is all that matters.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
...All Browns fans want this Watson mess to be over..!

But once Judge Robinson renders her decision , the mess 'will not' necessarily be over...

Next, the NFL commissioner will judge Watson's conduct and render his judgement...then it's over, right?

IMO, the Watson mess is going to continue, regardless of the decision Roger Goodell renders.

...What does the NFL do if Buzbee files more lawsuits against Watson..?

...News flash: Buzbee did just that, bringing the total to civil suites 26.

...But Watson settled 20 of 24 civil lawsuits...but, does that mean that the evidence from the settled lawsuits can not be considered by the NFL to determine whether or not Watson will be suspended? I haven't heard the NFL comment about the 20 lawsuits Watson settled...4 lawsuits were not settled.

...Two more lawsuits have been added since Watson settled 20 of 24 cases bringing the total to 26. Is the NFL including the information contained in these 2 additional cases..? ..or does the NFL simply establish a cut off number of 24 and ignore any additional cases that are filed by some of the additional message therapists that Watson interacted with..?

...Hopefully Browns fans can start to recognize the potential problems facing The Browns and Deshaun Watson. What does the future hold for the Browns and Watson..?

...Consider this, it has been reported that Watson booked massage sessions with 66 different women from the fall 2019 through the spring 2021. With 20 of those 66 potential cases already settled, it still leaves 46 potential cases yet to be settled or taken to court.

...also, Buzbee is sitting on case #25, stating that it will be filed "in due course". This case was referred to Buzbee by an attorney from Atlanta, GA. The question that comes to mind..if this case originated in Georgia could Watson potentially be facing 'criminal charges' being filed in GA. and begin the process of Grand Jury proceedings similar to the two Texas cases..?

...How many potential cases will Watson face and will it force the NFL to continue to act upon those future cases to determine punishment..?

...Finally, what happens when a massage therapist from Cleveland accuses Watson of inappropriate conduct during a therapy session..?

...Watson is the Browns QB..but he does come with a ton of baggage..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
I understood your point. I also don't totally disagree with your broad point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by IrishDawg42
Some posters keep stating that they think he is going to get off for little or no punishment based on lack of criminal charges and/or specific evidence from each case.

People only bring up Watson not being convicted or charged w/a crime when other posters refer to Watson as rapey, a predator, a bad dude, a sexual deviant, etc.

Stop making crap up.

I know I am calling you guys out, but come on, at some point you have to admit, he obviously did some things that are not ok..even if he can't be criminally charged for them.

I have never once said that. You make up lies to win an argument. I want to make sure that others understand my stance.

I completely understand the Personal Conduct policy. I understand the NFL's right to punish players under that policy. Is that clear enough?

I have argued that the PCP also includes the owners and that precedence is a strategy that is being used to defend Watson. I think that is clear.

I have brought up that Watson has not been convicted or charged w/a crime. However, I don't bring that up to dispute the Personal Conduct policy. I bring it up when folks convict Watson of crimes in the forum of public opinion. Assigning labels such a predator, rapey, bad dude, sexual deviant, etc are unjustly assigning guilt to a man who has not been charged or convicted of a crime. I think that is clear, but it won't stop others from perpetuating lies.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by hitt
This situation just stinks. The NFL sure has painted itself into a box. How does a league punish "only players" for different cultural morals. Wonder if they'll start to suspend guys or gals who have kids out of wedlock. If you are a nudist we'll suspend you for 4 games because we don't like that image. JMHO, humanity is very diverse and who says what is "normal". Innocent until proven guilty- no force, no foul- zero games.....GO Browns!!!

rofl

Yeah, it's the same thing. What isn't "normal" is having 24 women saying you did something wrong.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by IrishDawg42

Stop making crap up.

I have never once said that. You make up lies to win an argument. I want to make sure that others understand my stance.

I completely understand the Personal Conduct policy. I understand the NFL's right to punish players under that policy. Is that clear enough?

I have argued that the PCP also includes the owners and that precedence is a strategy that is being used to defend Watson. I think that is clear.

I have brought up that Watson has not been convicted or charged w/a crime. However, I don't bring that up to dispute the Personal Conduct policy. I bring it up when folks convict Watson of crimes in the forum of public opinion. Assigning labels such a predator, rapey, bad dude, sexual deviant, etc are unjustly assigning guilt to a man who has not been charged or convicted of a crime. I think that is clear, but it won't stop others from perpetuating lies.

You have consistently said this is a Witch Hunt. By definition that means you believe Watson is being wrongly persecuted. Therefore you believe 26 women were lying. It doesn't work any other way. You aren;t interested in truth or justice - you already believe DW is innocent and the victim. Here's just one post:

Originally Posted by mgh888
I have opined that this was a public witch hunt. I never once believed those that said the Browns did not do their due diligence and didn't investigate the case. Our FO is way too intelligent to not do so. The Browns and Watson's camp have been confident in the end results "once the facts come out."

Which is the opposite of what you claimed - that you didn't "take sides" and that you had not judged DW or the Women/allegations ... but lo - here you are proclaiming it't a witch hunt. Ergo the women were all lying.

Hitt has written multiple posts claiming the women all had consensual sex and there Watson is 100% innocent.

The only person lying here is Versatile Dog. You can claim to not know or be neutral - but as soon as you say it's a witch hunt, you have chosen a side. Anyone reading these boards and has read so many posts all in deference and defence of DW would know there was an agenda at play.

Last edited by mgh888; 07/13/22 12:31 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Im swamped tomorrow ...

Hey 05, I know you are busy. However, if you get a chance, will you please give me your thoughts on the following?

From time-to-time, the subject of what will the NFL do if other women of the 66 mentioned by the NY Times or the 26 that Buzbee is representing after the NFL renders their decision? I have read the CBA and I'm not sure how to interpret the one-time penalty part of the document. Will you please take a look at it and give your opinion on if the NFL would consider these new charges or part of the investigation they have already performed?

Here is the link to the CBA: https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/46

Here is the part about one penalty.

Section 4. One Penalty
The Commissioner and a Club will not both discipline a player for the same act or conduct. The Commissioner’s disciplinary action will preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any Club for the same act or conduct.

I can make an argument for both sides after reading that. Thus, I'm unclear as to what it actually means. LOL Do you think that all the cases [both current and future] would fall under the one penalty rule or do you think the new cases would be treated separately?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Ask Josh Gordon.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Im swamped tomorrow ...

Hey 05, I know you are busy. However, if you get a chance, will you please give me your thoughts on the following?

From time-to-time, the subject of what will the NFL do if other women of the 66 mentioned by the NY Times or the 26 that Buzbee is representing after the NFL renders their decision? I have read the CBA and I'm not sure how to interpret the one-time penalty part of the document. Will you please take a look at it and give your opinion on if the NFL would consider these new charges or part of the investigation they have already performed?

Here is the link to the CBA: https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/46

Here is the part about one penalty.

Section 4. One Penalty
The Commissioner and a Club will not both discipline a player for the same act or conduct. The Commissioner’s disciplinary action will preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any Club for the same act or conduct.

I can make an argument for both sides after reading that. Thus, I'm unclear as to what it actually means. LOL Do you think that all the cases [both current and future] would fall under the one penalty rule or do you think the new cases would be treated separately?

I know you do not believe that certain individuals could possibly be right in posts that you are on the other side of, but I did give you an explanation of what this rule means and you just blew me off - a normal response from you.

The One Penalty rule is in place so that a player could not be disciplined by the team and then by the league. A league discipline will always preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any club. For example, if the Texans had suspended Watson from team activities because of his off the field issues, the league could not come back and suspend him again or if he was serving a 6-week suspension and the league decided on 8-weeks he would only serve 2 additional weeks because the team had already suspended him. It's for this exact reason that teams do not normally suspend their players if the NFL is investigating because soon as they are, they supersede any team action. It's also the reason most if not all teams turn their players in when they suspect something that could cause an investigation.

Your other question has nothing to do with this Section. Additional civil suits, criminal charges, guilty civil judgements and convictions are in addition to what Judge Robinson is looking at now. If in the civil trial evidence surfaces that Watson is guilty of sexual abuse and loses the civil suit, the prosecutor could still take that new evidence and present it to a Grand Jury to indict him for sexual abuse. The NFL could not ignore those charges. Likewise, if 20 women come forward with additional claims of sexual misconduct, those would be new claims against Watson and would have to not only be litigated but the NFL would have to take action - again. Case in point, if E. Elliott beats up his girlfriend again under the exact same circumstances is your thinking it's card blanche for Elliott since he already served a suspension for that previously? Or that Hunt has the leeway to beat the hell out of the same woman again since he already served a suspension for doing that already? We won't even get into the event if Big Ben was accused of allegedly raping another woman.

That has been the question that a lot of us concerned fans have about Watson and his current hearing. Watson has had 24 alleged sexual misconduct suits and 2 alleged sexual abuse suits filed against him to date. 20 of those alleged sexual misconduct suits have been settled out of court and while the settlements do not admit guilt but certainly in the smallest of terms does not mean he's innocent of the claims brought against him. Judge Robinson is not the trial or civil judge. She is the person who is going to make the determination is Watson's conduct violated the NFL's PCP. She has to look at the entire package to make that determination. That means she has to look at not only the 20 settlement cases but the 4 that were active at the start of the hearing.

Now it's just my opinion but I believe that the reason why the NFL had to present the 4 active cases is because Judge Robinson must be fully aware of what could transpire with those 4 cases going forward. She also has to be aware of the possibility of future cases being filed and what that will do to the image of the NFL. I've read the same articles plastered all over the internet just as you have. I see where the talking heads are predicting a 4-6 game suspension for Watson's conduct. However, how is the NFL going to respond to the public outrage if the civil complaints keep coming and/or criminal charges when they had the same information that we have that Watson was with at least 66 women and as high as over 100 women during the 17-month period and let him off on a 4-game suspension? That they knew the risks and allowed a player to play after exhibiting unprecedented conduct that has already generated 26 civil suits and never sought out these additional women for depositions? What about the reported claim that there is now a woman from GA (another state) that is claiming sexual misconduct? Remember, this is NOT a hearing as to the innocence or guilt of Watson, that is not Judge Robinsons position. What this is supposed to be is a hearing that is to determine if Watson's conduct was of a proper higher standard as an NFL player, and right now there doesn't appear that his conduct can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of the fans. JMHO

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
The One Penalty rule is in place so that a player could not be disciplined by the team and then by the league. A league discipline will always preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any club.

Your explanation makes sense.

I was working, but the TV was on and I heard Graziano talking about how the league couldn't try Watson twice. I didn't catch it all. Perhaps I misheard?

P
Legend
Legend
P
For additional infractions? That makes no sense.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I think when saying...what if another lawsuit is brought up after the NFL decision...would it be cause for a second hearing.

Well lets think about that in a different way...If The League suspends Josh Gordon for Smoking weed 10 times between October 10th and October 15th....Josh Gordon serves his time and is back...or possibly is in mid suspension. If it is uncovered that he actually smoked weed 12 times during that period...does the NFL bring Josh back for more suspension or not. That is essentially the crux of the question here.

Is the hearing being held for specific numbers of individual offenses, or for his actions within a certain timeframe??? Frankly, I don't have an answer to that question.

But since the NFL only provided 4 cases out of 12 they interviewed and out of 24 in Buzbee's clients....And Robinson cannot rule upon those other cases...She cannot rule on an ALLEGED 66-100 women...she can only rule on FOUR. And if those 4 cases don't sway her to that 51% of it being against the Conduct policy...you may not like it, but Watson might not get any suspension....THAT IS A POSSIBILITY. As we don't know what was presented, and only opinion that no "proof" was shown, we don't know how big of a possibility it is...And Frankly if the NFL did not provide the information...with all of the resources available...then no suspension is probably the right decision...Or I should say the CORRECT decision... Right implies a measure of morality. And this is not about whether Watsons actions were, were not, or are moral...it is about whether his PROVEN actions, in those 4 cases, violate Judge Robinsons interpretation of a written stipulation.

It is my guess that unless new criminal charges stick, or an event outside of the established timeline (also being in the future of from that timeline...) any new lawsuits will not bring new charges as it pertains to the NFL Code of Conduct Policy. But that is just a guess.

Your entire argument was not really about the process but about how you can try to fanangle an interpretation in order to punish Watson more...

And you keep forgetting the importance of the word ALLEGED. You continually forget that there is a difference between what you believe, what you think , and what you KNOW.

And frankly I don't think Robinson gives a single iota as to the PR of the NFL or the player (nor should she...that isn't her job). And POSSIBLE FUTURE cases means absolutely NOTHING as it pertains to FACTS in the case brought before her. She is not a swami and she cannot rule on what MIGHT happen in the future. If she is who I believe I have read her to be, she is going to interpret the Conduct Policy as it pertains to the evidence that was brought before her...PERIOD. She will be careful as this is the first ruling and it will set precedence. She will consider prior precedence doled to players as well as owners, but that does not mean she won't blaze her own trail. She will be completely thorough with her ruling opinion. Because any appeal has to abide by her findings and reasoning regardless if the suspension is raised or lowered in the end....So Goodell just can't say, I don't like 8 games...lets make it indefinite with applying for reinstatement after three years (or whatever...number you want to place) The appeal...any appeal...has to find something wrong with her reasoning and opinion.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
P
Legend
Legend
P
She also can't consider or rule on any cases that are not in front of her. Even if those cases are in the past. She is ruling on what's in front of her. I've never heard of any such ruling that constitutes a time frame instead of the infractions that are currently under consideration. I'm not saying that's impossible but it would be very unusual and nothing I can think of would compare with that.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think there is a difference between smoking weed and violating or transgressing against people.

If the NFL rules and makes a decision based on today's cases and allegations, and in the future new and different persons came forward, then I think the reaction might depend on a couple of different scenarios:

- If they were from the same time frame and took an agreed settlement from DW, I could see that being part of this same issue.
- If they came forward and had sufficient evidence that a GJ wanted to prosecute - then I think there would be a further investigation and the new incident(s) treated separately from what we see now, possibly irrespective of the verdict.
- If it went to civil court - any action by the NFL migh depend on an outcome: Not-Guilty/Liable - no action. Guilty/Liable - I think the NFL would treat that as a separate issue.

No idea how that aligns with legalize or conduct policy - but it would seem to make some sense.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not arguing one way or the other. I am genuinely curious. I just went over Article 46 of the CBA line by line. It's hard to find the answer.

I guess what has me confused is if you are trying a man for sexual misconduct that allegedly occurred during massage sessions, would future claims about the very same subject be considered new? I fully understand that if Watson is charged w/rape or physically restraining or hurting a woman that it would be a new case. I just don't know if additional cases of the very same charges warrants a new charge?

I'd like to know that answer because it's important.

I do think that is why the NFL is pushing for an indefinite suspension. It makes sense, right? If new information comes out, they can address that information as they decide his punishment. It seems like it might be tricky to try him again for the same accusations that he has already been tried for previously. But again, I don't know the answer and I really wish we had a legal expert who could provide us w/that answer. Hell, I wish a reporter would question the league about this very topic because I think we may all agree that the threat of future punishments is a very large deal.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Something I just thought regarding what happens if the NFL ends up giving DW a light suspension, at least from a lot of peoples' perspective, especially normally disinterested non-football fans. For this particular question, say he gets 4 games, and at the stadium for game 5 there are rather large protest crowds and a few nasty signs inside the stadium.

I could see this having a significant impact with the NFL should one of the civil cases ends after this season, even in DWs favor, but less than flattering things are "uncovered". Would the NFL be under added PR pressure to place additional game suspensions to protect the image of the NFL?

I am not looking to start any arguments or keep any going, so please don't turn this personal against me or to continue current arguments with other posters. I just assume when his suspension ends, there will at minimum be signs that will be visible during the broadcast or at least on ESPN coverage. I also would expect some sort of protest that will just draw additional attention.

Does anyone else see this happening?

2nd String
2nd String
I am not arguing one way or the other. I am genuinely curious. I just went over Article 46 of the CBA line by line. It's hard to find the answer.

I guess what has me confused is if you are trying a man for sexual misconduct that allegedly occurred during massage sessions, would future claims about the very same subject be considered new? I fully understand that if Watson is charged w/rape or physically restraining or hurting a woman that it would be a new case. I just don't know if additional cases of the very same charges warrants a new charge?

I'd like to know that answer because it's important.

I do think that is why the NFL is pushing for an indefinite suspension. It makes sense, right? If new information comes out, they can address that information as they decide his punishment. It seems like it might be tricky to try him again for the same accusations that he has already been tried for previously. But again, I don't know the answer and I really wish we had a legal expert who could provide us w/that answer. Hell, I wish a reporter would question the league about this very topic because I think we may all agree that the threat of future punishments is a very large deal.

I agree, I also think that is why the NFL is calling for an indefinite suspension.

I do NOT believe if other cases (of nearly similar nature, since all but a couple of the 26 known women who have spoken out are of similar nature) from the same time period come out, that it will warrant a new investigation and/or suspension if a finite number of games are handed down by Judge Robinson. Like you said, if the new cases warrant a criminal act, or are of a different nature, then yes I think it would warrant a new investigation. For instance, if there was a video that emerged, post suspension announcement, etc.. I don't think any suspension is closed similar to a legal case being closed and no double jeopardy. If new information comes out, then the accused lied to the NFL and they can take action.

Similarly, if he moves to Cleveland and does the same thing here, it would warrant a new investigation due to the new time period.

I think THIS investigation is based on a timeline that has been established and any new acts that come up during that pre-established timeline, and of similar nature, will just be thrown into the mix. If the Judge gives him 6 games and another (2) civil cases stating the same thing as the other 22 of 24 cases, then I don't think they come back and say they are adding another game or 2.

But, then again, I know as much as you or any other person that doesn't have a clue knows...

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Something I just thought regarding what happens if the NFL ends up giving DW a light suspension, at least from a lot of peoples' perspective, especially normally disinterested non-football fans. For this particular question, say he gets 4 games, and at the stadium for game 5 there are rather large protest crowds and a few nasty signs inside the stadium.

I could see this having a significant impact with the NFL should one of the civil cases ends after this season, even in DWs favor, but less than flattering things are "uncovered". Would the NFL be under added PR pressure to place additional game suspensions to protect the image of the NFL?

I am not looking to start any arguments or keep any going, so please don't turn this personal against me or to continue current arguments with other posters. I just assume when his suspension ends, there will at minimum be signs that will be visible during the broadcast or at least on ESPN coverage. I also would expect some sort of protest that will just draw additional attention.

Does anyone else see this happening?

My simple answer..YES I definitely see protests occurring at every game Deshaun Watson participates in, as long as there are remaining cases open. Once the cases are resolved, I don't think it will linger very long. It's the nature of the beast. Out of the news cycle takes away the will to fight. Once there are no more cases, it will be out of the news cycle.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We see it in a similar manner, but like you said at the end:

But, then again, I know as much as you or any other person that doesn't have a clue knows...

That's why I would like to know for sure. I can understand the logic behind both arguments. It just seems like it's very important moving forward.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Neither does deciding to punish him when he has pending cases and may have more coming... especially when you consider that his trials are being delayed, at this point, because of the football season. There are so many parts of this process that seem completely arbitrary.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think there will be protests and negative pub. I think some will be outraged if Watson gets off "easy." I think it will die down rather quickly w/always some snark thrown in. Similar to the Ben thing, I guess.

I will say that I have been reading the comments after a lot of these videos and articles and already, many Brown's fans are changing their tune. Things like "Free Watson" are popping up more and more.

Legend
Legend
I am not so sure.

Fans want to watch football. Those who are outraged may simply quit going to games.

Once a decision is made there will be "talk" for days. Then it will fade. If a suspension is handed out say 4-6 games. When he returns to the field imo there may be a few but by the second or third game. I doubt that there will be any.

I talk with friends who are not Browns fans. The people who I have talked to don't think it is a big deal. The sample size is small so I don't have a pulse on the whole NFL world.

There could be some signs when the Browns play away?

Will the attention match the Astros for cheating? I highly doubt it.

I am not giving a position on what should or should not happen. I simply stating how I believe will respond.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm so confused from where some of you are coming from. Just because Watson settled 20 of the cases, that in no way excuses his conduct during those encounters. The settlement doesn't admit guilt but it sure doesn't make him innocent. The hearing with Judge Robinson is supposed to be to determine if Watson's conduct was unacceptable to the guidelines of the PCP. According to what some have expressed, the NFL wouldn't even be having a hearing if Watson had been able to get all 24 women to settle out of court, thus they are in the past and can't be scrutinized. That thought process tells me that there's now a belief that any NFL player can mistreat any number of women at their leisure as long as they have the means to settle with them before it goes to court and the NFL has a hearing.

The NYTimes identified 66 women Watson had encounters with over the 17-month period and stated that it could be more than 100. The making of arrangements (and even using the teams reserved hotel room) to receive massages from women unlicensed in massage therapy at a rate of 4 to 5 a month while having an in-house team of massage professionals available to you is not questionable conduct. JMHO, the thought processes like that are the exact reason the NFL PCP is so screwed up. Again, JMHO, Watson might not have violated any Texas Laws at this point, but his overall conduct and the way he trolled the social media sites looking for potential "Happy Endings" is not acceptable conduct for a player in the NFL.

This is something every Pee Wee football player should be told now. Watson is a Brown idol and face of the franchise now and if you can make it to the NFL, it's open season on women as long as you have the money to shut them up.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
jc

Would the scrutiny and criticism directed at Watson and the team be this intense if he would have been picked up by NO or ATL? I really don't think so.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, the people who will protest are probably the same ones who dislike/hate NFL for the obscene paychecks given guys throwing a ball/ tackling a man. And the same ones who dislike the drinking, cussing, unmarried hookup resulting in births....that type of behavior which they judge people by. I don't think there will be many of them, nor will it last long. New or more ammo from DW, same thing, short time span and small numbers. No legal crime....no punishment.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Neither does deciding to punish him when he has pending cases and may have more coming... especially when you consider that his trials are being delayed, at this point, because of the football season. There are so many parts of this process that seem completely arbitrary.

I think the NFl needs to take the lump of what they have and rule on that. They interviewed 4, they did not interview more. I think once a decision is made it needs to be done.

If he continues to do stupid things in the future, then that opens a new "incident" so to speak. But they got to choose what they wanted to pursue this time around and it was 4 cases. Suspending him then holding old stuff over him is wrong, especially if they decide to rationalize a long suspension by "24 women can't be lying".

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jfanent
jc

Would the scrutiny and criticism directed at Watson and the team be this intense if he would have been picked up by NO or ATL? I really don't think so.

If it was a CEO of a corporation or a politician - do you think they'd have a job now? And yes, wherever he went I believe the scrutiny and media spotlight would be 100% as bright.

Last edited by mgh888; 07/13/22 06:25 PM.

Legend
Legend
"The settlement doesn't admit guilt but it sure doesn't make him innocent."

True. Then why assume quilt?

The cases that settled - why? We don't know. Leave it there. If a woman felt violated and wanted justice why settle? We don't know. Does everyone have a price? Did they feel that they could not win and wanted to move on? Did they want to move on and felt they would never be really heard?
Did they want it over and not want to be in the public eye?

We don't know.

"This is something every Pee Wee football player should be told now. Watson is a Brown idol and face of the franchise now and if you can make it to the NFL, it's open season on women as long as you have the money to shut them up."

I don't think that is true. Watson is not an idol at this time. Nothing has been decided. IMO people are waiting for a decision by those who have been privy to all information.

This investigation has been going on for a long time. And it has been done by many eyes from various organizations and media. It has taken a lot of time and money.

Maybe those who have been charged with making a decision will get it right.

You seem to be on a campaign to prove him guilty. Maybe I am wrong there. I don't know. But you seem hell bent upon on displaying him in only a guilty light and you want him vilified.

Legend
Legend
jc

Would it be as intense HERE? No.
Would it be the same with the fans of whatever team he went to? I have no doubts at all that it would, just as I have no doubts that the national media isn't simply "keeping the story going because they hate CLE". It's a big, real, story that impacts a major high-profile player and a blockbuster trade.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

3 members like this: PitDAWG, oobernoober, mgh888
Legend
Legend
Thanks Vers... works been crazy so I haven't had time to actually pay attention to the timelines or what's be going on

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
jc

If it was a CEO of a corporation or a politician - do you think they'd have a job now? And yes, wherever he went I believe the scrutiny and media spotlight would be 100% as bright.

The reason I asked, is that I was listening to Sirius NFL today and they were focusing on how NO and ATL really missed the boat by not getting DW, and how much he would have immediately helped each franchise. The sexual accusations were barely mentioned as an afterthought. They made no mention at all of how a suspension would be dealt with there, it's like they didn't think it would be an issue. Yet when they talk about the Browns, it's the lead story.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's because we don't have the respect that a lot of the other franchises have. Let me rephrase that MOST of the other franchises have.

M
Legend
Legend
M
There are fans and people I know that don't care if DW is guilty or not as long as we win a SB ... I'm guessing there are others who feel the same way who root for other teams. The vast majority of what I have seen, the off field issues are significant .

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Steve...the reason Robinson can only rule on 4 women has nothing to do with the settlements. The NFL interviewed 12 of Buzbees clients...went to present on 5 women and ended up only providing their case on 4 women. we don't even know if it is the same 4 women that did not settle. The number outside of the NFL has NOTHING to do with what Judge Robinson has to decide. heck the number could be 3000....and it still would not matter because only 4 cases were presented by the NFL.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
O
Legend
Legend
O
Who thinks DW will not do this again if he gets off easy? Serious question as many have pondered if he has a sex addiction. The guy thinks he done nothing wrong, if he gets no suspension or fine, I could see him continuing his habit here.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's a big story, but not nearly as big as it is on this board. The ESPN and NFL Network shows are talking more about Baker than Watson. I think that the New Orleans and ATL markets would not have reacted as negatively towards signing Watson as the Cleveland market did. Carolina is hard to predict. It's the Bible belt, but folks are not all that passionate about pro sports down this way. They care more about collegiate sports.

Obviously, the national media was going to talk about Watson no matter what. I do believe that the initial reaction at the PC and Florio's daily articles changed the tone of the coverage. This has nothing to do w/the national media hating Cleveland. It's about how perceptions affect ratings and clicks. I do want to reiterate that it would have been a big story no matter where he went. People like to make things black and white and they rarely are. I'm just of the opinion that the tone and intensity would have been different had Watson signed w/Atlanta or New Orleans.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Gauging Browns expectations if Deshaun Watson is not suspended in 2022

Updated: Jul. 12, 2022, 3:45 p.m. | Published: Jul. 12, 2022, 8:26 a.m.

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Whenever the Browns learn of Deshaun Watson’s suspension fate, it will finally bring some clarity for the 2022 season. But for now, we’re left wondering just how many games – if any – Watson will play at quarterback for the Browns this season.

Any suspension will impact expectations for the season. We’ve spent plenty of time on the Orange & Brown Talk podcast wondering how many games the Browns could win with and without Watson. Or, more specifically, what Jacoby Brissett might be able to provide in his absence.

It’s tough to analyze such a thing, but the argument usually revolves around the length of a suspension and the belief that the early part of the Browns’ schedule is not filled with the NFL elite.

Predicting how the Browns’ season will go is tricky business, with Watson’s potential suspension hanging out there. But once all is known, predictions will begin to flow.

With that in mind, I decided to ask Football Insider subscribers how many games they think the Browns would win in 2022 with Watson as the quarterback. In other words, let’s say Watson was not facing suspension and he was headed toward the season as the starter. Period.

How many games do the Browns win? The idea was to create a baseline for expectations.

To say fans would be optimistic in such a scenario is an understatement.

Here’s how the voting went.

12 games: 43%

11 games: 25%

13 games: 16%

10 games: 9%

14 games: 3%

I included options to vote for any win total, but the rest of the possibilities didn’t clear 3% of the vote.

We’re left with the top five vote getters all pointing to double-digit wins. To me that means playoff expectations because there’s little doubt – outside of maybe the 10-win option – that the Browns qualify under these win totals.

So that’s where we’re starting with expectation – playoffs. Any suspension would potentially chip away at that expectation. How much chipping it does remains to be seen.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...aun-watson-is-not-suspended-in-2022.html

F
Legend
Legend
F
jc

To those of us outside the Cleveland Media area, the only place I hear about this is on sports channels and here. It's not something that comes up on my local news.

If I were not someone who followed sports media, I probably would have forgotten about it all by now.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
jc

Would it be as intense HERE? No.
Would it be the same with the fans of whatever team he went to? I have no doubts at all that it would, just as I have no doubts that the national media isn't simply "keeping the story going because they hate CLE". It's a big, real, story that impacts a major high-profile player and a blockbuster trade.

It's kinda interesting that all this sorta stayed on ice until the trade machine finally started moving. IMO, the spark that really ignited the fire was the contract... and since at least one team was allegedly miffed that the they weren't given the opportunity to match what Cleveland offered, I think the outrage would've been the same.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshawn Watson News

Link Copied to Clipboard