Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Hope to live long enough to meet "The Jetsons"!!!!! thumbsup

Scientists have picked up a radio signal 'heartbeat' billions of light-years away
July 14, 20225:06 AM ET
AYANA ARCHIE

This image released by NASA on Tuesday, July 12, 2022, combined the capabilities of the James Webb Space Telescope's two cameras to create a never-before-seen view of a star-forming region in the Carina Nebula. Captured in infrared light by the Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam) and Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI), this combined image reveals previously invisible areas of star birth.
NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI via AP

Astronomers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have picked up repetitive radio signals from a galaxy billions of light-years from Earth.

Scientists have not been able to pinpoint the exact location of the radio waves yet, but suspect the source could be neutron stars, which are made from collapsed cores of giant stars.

The signals have been occurring steadily and last up to three seconds, researchers say. Most fast radio bursts, or FRBs, only last a few milliseconds.

"Within this window, the team detected bursts of radio waves that repeat every 0.2 seconds in a clear periodic pattern, similar to a beating heart," MIT said in a statement.

On Dec. 21, 2019, researchers at the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory in British Columbia, Canada, picked up a signal of a potential FRB, according to the MIT statement.

"Not only was it very long, lasting about three seconds, but there were periodic peaks that were remarkably precise, emitting every fraction of a second — boom, boom, boom — like a heartbeat," said Daniele Michilli, a postdoctoral researcher in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research. "This is the first time the signal itself is periodic."

Sponsor Message

Data on the bursts, including their frequency and how they change based on where the source is located in proximity to Earth could help researchers determine at what speed the universe is expanding.

The announcement about the repetitive radio signals follows the release earlier this week of the first images of the universe from the James Webb Space Telescope. Those images reveal some galaxies formed more than 13 billion years ago.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/14/1111...adio-waves-signals-galaxy-lightyears-mit

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Outer space talk is creepy in many ways.

Life of some kind must be there. Just that alone is difficult to fathom.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I find it to be quite the opposite. We are just one small galaxy in a sea of galaxies. Our galaxy in and of itself is like a grain of sand on the beach. I find the human race is often times too self absorbed and have this feeling there couldn't possibly be anything in this giant universe to rival them/us. And I'm certainly not trying to say that there is. But the possibility of such is there when looking at the vastness and galaxies which have the possibility to support life.

I think it's naive of human beings that don't believe there is life out there in space somewhere. I have no idea what type of life or life forms that exist or how intelligent they may or may not be. That's all speculative at best. But the odds of life existing in some form on other planets I think has very good odds of being real.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: TTTDawg, FATE
Legend
Legend
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, AZBrown
P
Legend
Legend
P
I mean if there is intelligent life out there we don't have to worry about it. After watching earth for a short period of time why would anything intelligent want to come here?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You misinterpreted my meaning.

"Life of some kind must be there. Just that alone is difficult to fathom."

Of course there is life out there. What kind? And if we ever find that life what will it do to our ideas of religion and science?

That is the part that is difficult to fathom.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What kind is a good question because I'd venture to say that we can't fathom what that might be. As far as religion is concerned I've considered that possibility before. The conclusion I've come to is that the Bible only tells us "our story". It does not address in any way that there is or isn't life on other planets in different galaxies. The context of the Bible doesn't preclude any other places than earth from sustaining life. As far as science goes I can't think that holds any impact either. For ever since I can remember science has questioned life being out there somewhere. It seems they have always searched for an answer to that question.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The life and the science of that life.

Leaves me mystified.

So many questions. But this radio signal is the first of it's kind. At least that I have heard.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I find it to be quite the opposite. We are just one small galaxy in a sea of galaxies. Our galaxy in and of itself is like a grain of sand on the beach. I find the human race is often times too self absorbed and have this feeling there couldn't possibly be anything in this giant universe to rival them/us. And I'm certainly not trying to say that there is. But the possibility of such is there when looking at the vastness and galaxies which have the possibility to support life.

I think it's naive of human beings that don't believe there is life out there in space somewhere. I have no idea what type of life or life forms that exist or how intelligent they may or may not be. That's all speculative at best. But the odds of life existing in some form on other planets I think has very good odds of being real.

I've said as much for decades. Not that everyone isn't entitled to opinion, as we have yet to find cold, hard facts... but looking into that "sea" and thinking we are the only intelligent life is truly the most arrogant of human beliefs.

Not that I want to start this argument, but just a side note: so many times over the years Christians have made some argument (at least with me) that there can't be life out there because it wasn't mentioned in the bible. Thinking God is obligated to tell us about "the others" may be even more arrogant.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So are these radio signal naturally accruing? It doesnt mean they have been created by beings its just that they exist.

Joe Thomas #73
T
Legend
Legend
T
How self centered it is for human scientists to think things in space to be observed would fall into humanities observations of time.
"fast radio bursts" Fast? compared to what?
See we're back to it being relative to what humans observe, and looking for it in the human timeframe, is so self centered.

Who is to say, life, real galatic life, doesn't exist in a reality that occurs much too slow for humans to ever witness. If you are really limited to a physical world of galaxies and space, who is to say it must be in the tiny frame that would be the size and witnessable time of what humans could observe.
Nearly nothing about outer space interests me.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
So you are commenting why?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
3 members like this: TTTDawg, AZBrown, jfanent
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How self centered it is for human scientists to think things in space to be observed would fall into humanities observations of time.
"fast radio bursts" Fast? compared to what?
See we're back to it being relative to what humans observe, and looking for it in the human timeframe, is so self centered.

Who is to say, life, real galatic life, doesn't exist in a reality that occurs much too slow for humans to ever witness. If you are really limited to a physical world of galaxies and space, who is to say it must be in the tiny frame that would be the size and witnessable time of what humans could observe.

We are making the observation, therefore it will be our frames of reference. A different species in a different place will reference their observations in their frame. It is self-centered but that isn't a bad thing.

We don't even know what we don't know at this point of how it all works. We can only observe in the ways we have, and be open to new ways when, and if, we discover them.

Space is fascinating and mind boggling.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
One has to have a mind to have it boggled.
Read into that what you will. Lol

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Are you just here to fight?

naughtydevil

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

It's there a specific place for people to use when trying to start crap? I wonder where it might be.

T
Legend
Legend
T
To anyone who knows the LORD GOD, outer space would not be interesting to them. Outer space is unreal and probably a fake observation, one can look up with their eyes and see the stars in the sky. The heavens declare the glory of God.
One can look up with their eyes and see the stars in the sky, but it is important not to lose sight of the reality that life is spiritual, and mans physical reality ain't squat. So people should not get caught up chasing fake false whatevers,
so why? To say, Don't focus too much on this outer space stuff.
and as with all why questions,
the eventual answer is because God is a Holy God.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's a little less of a scientific explanation, but if you are comfortable with it have at it.

I grant there is so much about the universe we don't know it is boggling. I will point out most of what we accept about it are theories. We don't have many laws of the universe, I doubt we ever will. Observation of a system from inside the system is difficult and it is likely impossible to fully understand that system.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ

It's there a specific place for people to use when trying to start crap? I wonder where it might be.

That jab wasn’t meant for you. Sorry if you construed it that way.
Like you, I find space mind boggling. Other’s in this thread… well.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 07/17/22 02:50 PM.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FrankZ

That jab wasn’t meant for you. Sorry if you construed it that way.

S'ok. Sorry if I shot back.

It said you replied to me, so hopefully you understand my confusion on it.

1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
To anyone who knows the LORD GOD, outer space would not be interesting to them. Outer space is unreal and probably a fake observation, one can look up with their eyes and see the stars in the sky. The heavens declare the glory of God.
One can look up with their eyes and see the stars in the sky, but it is important not to lose sight of the reality that life is spiritual, and mans physical reality ain't squat. So people should not get caught up chasing fake false whatevers,
so why? To say, Don't focus too much on this outer space stuff.
and as with all why questions,
the eventual answer is because God is a Holy God.

So we as humans are to have no desire to explore the world/universe around us? Are we still supposed to be living in dirt floored cob house and reading scripture all day while our kids die of cholera because no one is looking towards ‘worldly things’ like science and medicine?

How about this?… God DID create all of this. He also created us with complex brains we can use to navigate our way around His creation and think beyond just one book. Maybe He created all of this FOR us to explore and be brought to wonderment by. Maybe it’s an insult to Him if we sit in a cave and live dogmatic lives only willing to look to the sky in hopes of seeing Him while ignoring all the He created.

God or no God, how space doesn’t bring some sense of wonder to a human is frankly… weird.

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: bonefish, PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I seriously have my doubts about us exploring the universe except through a lens. It saddens my, but the distances really are vast. Currently with our best propulsion the nearest star is 80k years travel. I hope this can be overcome at some point, but I have my doubts. We have achieved a mere .05%c (IIRC). To make it to Alpha Proxima at .1c is still 40+ years. We need to get above .5c to make a realistic trip just there. The energy requirements for that are staggering.

I do want to believe we can do it, I just am not sure it will ever happen.

At least we now have JWST to give us a look.

Legend
Legend
The more information that continues to gather, the more likely there is other civilizations out there. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but at some point we’ll have interactions

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think the odds that we are the only life in the entirety of the cosmic stew are pretty remote. The problem is how insignificant we are in the grand scheme, I doubt we ever make contact. It took Voyager what, 35-40 years to even break out of our own solar system? We are just one of billions in our own galaxy let alone the millions of others we can see.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Scientists have picked up a radio signal 'heartbeat' billions of light-years away

Link Copied to Clipboard