Print Thread
#1958575 07/25/22 09:26 PM
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Feel for this kid... can't catch a break... first an ACL and now leukemia

hasn't played a game in the NFL yet and may never get too... praying he heals

Houston Texans’ Canadian draft pick John Metchie III diagnosed with leukemia, ‘likely’ to miss entire NFL rookie season

Canadian receiver John Metchie III will not be able to take part in his rookie season with the Houston Texans after being diagnosed with cancer.

The Brampton, Ontario native announced the heart-wrenching news with a statement on the team’s Twitter account Sunday, sharing that his prognosis is positive.

“Recently I was diagnosed with APL (Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia), the most curable form of Leukemia. I am currently receiving great medical care, am in good spirits and I expect to make a recovery at a later point in time. As a result of this diagnosis, I will likely not be playing football this season. My main focus will be on my health and recovery. Thank you in advance for your support and well-wishes. I cannot wait to COME back stronger than ever. God bless.”

The Texans drafted Metchie in the second round, 44th overall, of the 2022 NFL Draft after a stellar collegiate career at the University of Alabama and signed him to a four-year deal worth over $8 million. He was expected to start this season in a paper-thin Texans receiving corps.

Metchie III first burst onto the NCAA scene in 2020 as a key component of an Alabama receiving group that featured two first-round picks, including Heisman winner DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. The six-foot, 195-pound Canuck caught 55 passes for 916 yards and six touchdowns as a sophomore, becoming the first Canadian in 17 years to win an NCAA national title.

Projected by many as a first-round pick entering the 2021 season, Metchie started 13 games for the Crimson Tide as a true junior and earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honours. He recorded a team-high 96 receptions for 1,142 yards and eight touchdowns, before suffering a torn ACL in his knee during the SEC Championship game and seeing his stock fall.

The two-time winner of the Jon Cornish Trophy as the top Canadian player in the NCAA was expected to be medically cleared in time for training camp but now faces a far more gruelling recovery.

His older brother Royce Metchie, the starting safety for the Toronto Argonauts, was scheduled to play the Saskatchewan Roughriders this evening but has been absent from the team since Wednesday due to personal reasons.

https://3downnation.com/2022/07/24/...emia-will-miss-entire-nfl-rookie-season/

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Wow.
He was the player I had hoped the Browns would select, and he was selected with the 44th pick, iirc, the one originally that was the Browns' pick.
Get Well Soon.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Tough news, no doubt. Life has twists and turns and this is no doubt a twist and turn.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
My prayers go out to him and his family. Cancer sucks.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Man that's a tough deal there. So sad really... GOOD LUCK YOUNG MAN

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
prayers out to the kid. I'm sure he will have good results in catching this early.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, this poor kid has had to endure a lot w/in the past year.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
“Recently I was diagnosed with APL (Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia), the most curable form of Leukemia. I am currently receiving great medical care, am in good spirits and I expect to make a recovery at a later point in time. As a result of this diagnosis, I will likely not be playing football this season. My main focus will be on my health and recovery. Thank you in advance for your support and well-wishes. I cannot wait to COME back stronger than ever. God bless.”

Young man, obviously you have already shown that you have what it takes to overcome adversity (ACL) and now you are facing a cancer diagnosis...that is about as serious as it gets.

Thoughts and prayers..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Saw this yesterday. The kid has gotten some tough breaks. Hopefully all of the adversity will only serve to make him stronger. At this point a quick recovery is all any of us can hope for.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Tough news for him. I’m hoping for a speedy and healthy recovery

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum John Metchie III

Link Copied to Clipboard