Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1958772 07/26/22 08:08 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Justice Dept. investigating Trump’s actions in Jan. 6 criminal probe

People familiar with the probe said investigators are examining the former president’s conversations and have seized phone records of top aides

The Justice Department is investigating President Donald Trump’s actions as part of its criminal probe of efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, according to four people familiar with the matter.

Prosecutors who are questioning witnesses before a grand jury — including two top aides to Vice President Mike Pence — have asked in recent days about conversations with Trump, his lawyers, and others in his inner circle who sought to substitute Trump allies for certified electors from some states Joe Biden won, according to two people familiar with the matter. Both spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

The prosecutors have asked hours of detailed questions about meetings Trump led in December 2020 and January 2021; his pressure campaign on Pence to overturn the election; and what instructions Trump gave his lawyers and advisers about fake electors and sending electors back to the states, the people said. Some of the questions focused directly on the extent of Trump’s involvement in the fake-elector effort led by his outside lawyers, including John Eastman and Rudy Giuliani, these people said.

In addition, Justice Department investigators in April received phone records of key officials and aides in the Trump administration, including his former chief of staff, Mark Meadows, according to two people familiar with the matter. That effort is another indicator of how expansive the Jan. 6 probe had become, well before the high-profile, televised House hearings in June and July on the subject.

The Washington Post and other news organizations have previously written that the Justice Department is examining the conduct of Eastman, Giuliani and others in Trump’s orbit. But the degree of prosecutors’ interest in Trump’s actions has not been previously reported, nor has the review of senior Trump aides’ phone records.

A Trump spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A Justice Department spokesman and a lawyer for Meadows both declined to comment.

The revelations raise the stakes of an already politically fraught probe involving a former president, still central to his party’s fortunes, who has survived previous investigations and two impeachments. Long before the Jan. 6 investigation, Trump spent years railing against the Justice Department and the FBI; the investigation moving closer to him will probably intensify that antagonism.

Federal criminal investigations are by design opaque, and probes involving political figures are among the most closely held secrets at the Justice Department. Many end without criminal charges. The lack of observable investigative activity involving Trump and his White House for more than a year after the Jan. 6 attack has fueled criticism, particularly from the left, that the Justice Department is not pursuing the case aggressively enough.

In trying to understand how and why Trump partisans and lawyers sought to change the outcome of the election, one person familiar with the probe said, investigators also want to understand, at a minimum, what Trump told his lawyers and senior officials to do. Any investigation surrounding the effort to undo the results of the election must navigate complex issues of First Amendment-protected political activity and when or whether a person’s speech could become part of an alleged conspiracy in support of a coup.

Many elements of the sprawling Jan. 6 criminal investigation have remained under wraps. But in recent weeks the public pace of the work has increased, with a fresh round of subpoenas, search warrants and interviews. Pence’s former chief of staff, Marc Short, and lawyer, Greg Jacob, appeared before the grand jury in downtown Washington in recent days, according to the people familiar with the investigation. Both men declined to comment.

The Justice Department efforts are separate from the inquiry underway by the House committee, which has sought to portray Trump as responsible for inciting the Capitol riot and for being derelict in his duty for refusing to stop it. Both Short and Jacob have testified before the committee, telling lawmakers that Pence resisted Trump’s attempts to enlist him in the cause.

Unlike the Justice Department, the House panel does not have the power to launch criminal investigations or charge anyone with wrongdoing.

The Justice Department probe began amid the smoke, blood and chaos at the Capitol and has led to criminal charges against more than 840 individuals, expanding to include an examination of events that occurred elsewhere in the days and weeks before the attack — including at the White House, in state capitols and at a D.C. hotel.

There are two principal tracks of the investigation that could ultimately lead to additional scrutiny of Trump, two people familiar with the situation said, also speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

The first centers on seditious conspiracy and conspiracy to obstruct a government proceeding, the type of charges already filed against individuals who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 and on two leaders of far-right groups, Stewart Rhodes and Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, who did not breach the Capitol but were allegedly involved in planning the day’s events.

The second involves potential fraud associated with the false-electors scheme or with pressure Trump and his allies allegedly put on the Justice Department and others to falsely claim that the election was rigged and votes were fraudulently cast.

Recent subpoenas obtained by The Post show that two Arizona state legislators were ordered to turn over communications with “any member, employee, or agent of Donald J. Trump or any organization advocating in favor of the 2020 re-election of Donald J. Trump, including ‘Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.’ ”

*** - See article for Subpeona doc. - ***

No former president has ever been charged with a crime in the country’s history. In cases when investigators found evidence suggesting a president engaged in criminal conduct, as with Richard M. Nixon and Bill Clinton, investigators and successive administrations concluded it was better to grant immunity or forgo prosecution. One goal was to avoid appearing to use government power to punish political enemies and assure the tradition of a peaceful transfer of power.

Attorney General Merrick Garland has vowed that the Jan. 6 investigation will follow the facts wherever they lead and said that no one is exempt or above scrutiny, while refusing to divulge information outside of court filings.

Garland told NBC News in a Tuesday interview that the department pursues justice “without fear or favor. We intend to hold everyone, anyone, who was criminally responsible for the events surrounding January 6th, for any attempt to interfere with the lawful transfer of power from one administration to another, accountable — that’s what we do. We don’t pay any attention to other issues with respect to that.”

The Jan. 6 investigation is by some measures the largest ever undertaken by the Justice Department. While investigators in nearly every part of the country have been involved, the lion’s share of the work is being done by three offices: the U.S. attorney’s office in the District of Columbia, and the criminal and national security divisions at department headquarters.

In the probe’s first year, prosecutors focused largely on the people who breached the Capitol, some of them violently, charging hundreds with interfering with or assaulting police or obstructing an official proceeding.

This year, the fake-elector scheme has become a major focus of the Justice Department inquiry. After Trump lost the election, lawyers and others close to him urged GOP officials in key states to submit alternate and illegitimate slates of electors to reject the results of the state vote totals. Those would-be electors were aided in their effort by Trump campaign officials and Giuliani, who said publicly that the rival slates were necessary and appropriate, and has been described as overseeing the strategy.

Last month, federal agents fanned out in multiple states to serve grand jury subpoenas, execute search warrants and interview witnesses — a significant escalation of overt investigative activity. As part of that effort, agents searched Eastman’s electronic devices, and conducted a search at the home of Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department official who enthusiastically embraced some of Trump’s last-ditch efforts to stop Biden from becoming president. Many of those who received subpoenas were told specifically to turn over their communications with Giuliani.

The Justice Department inspector general is also an important player in the investigation, as it examines Clark’s role as a department official in allegedly furthering the efforts.

In a call on Dec. 27, 2020, witnesses have said, Trump told acting attorney general Jeffrey Rosen that he wanted his Justice Department to say there was significant election fraud, and said he was poised to oust Rosen and replace him with Clark, who was willing to make that assertion.

Rosen told Trump that the Justice Department could not “flip a switch and change the election,” according to notes of the conversation cited by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“I don’t expect you to do that,” Trump responded, according to the notes. “Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the Republican congressmen.”

The president urged Rosen to “just have a press conference.” Rosen refused. “We don’t see that,” he told Trump. “We’re not going to have a press conference.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/07/26/trump-justice-investigation-january-6/

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/26/22 08:34 PM.

Legend
Legend
Are people really pro-insurrection?? I think those who participated in the insurrection should be prosecuted... I think this whole Jan 6 committee crap is a complete farce... I think if the DOJ can charge Trump with a crime related to the jan 6 insurrection they should and he should be tried in front of an actual court of law... but are there people that are actually pro-insurrection besides extremists?

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: 40YEARSWAITING
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jaybird
Are people really pro-insurrection?? I think those who participated in the insurrection should be prosecuted... I think this whole Jan 6 committee crap is a complete farce... I think if the DOJ can charge Trump with a crime related to the jan 6 insurrection they should and he should be tried in front of an actual court of law... but are there people that are actually pro-insurrection besides extremists?

I would never have thought so jaybird, but here are people on here acting like it was a hoax, just sightseeing tourist, and any other thing they can say to downplay it. I would call that defending the coup.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Joe must have just realized his numbers are down. Smh. Hey, Joe, don't politicize the hearings and give Trump's camp more "it's all a political attack" ammo.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I would never have thought so jaybird, but here are people on here acting like it was a hoax, just sightseeing tourist, and any other thing they can say to downplay it. I would call that defending the coup.

Agree with you there... anyone calling it a hoax is blind... though I disagree that it was a legit coup... might have been an attempted one but there was zero chance they would get anything significantly accomplished...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Joe must have just realized his numbers are down. Smh. Hey, Joe, don't politicize the hearings and give Trump's camp more "it's all a political attack" ammo.

I'm pretty sure it's someone on his team... I doubt Joe can figure out how to unlock his iPhone on his on at this point...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
but there was zero chance they would get anything significantly accomplished...

I respectfully disagree, jaybird.

They were able to achieve their goal, for a number of hours. They successfully halted the ceremony that peacefully transfers power from one admin to the next. That was 45's goal all along. He tried in the courts, he tried strongarm backroom tactics, he tried to defraud the election by trying to send fake electors, and when all that failed, he whipped the mob into a frenzy and aimed them at the Capitol- at the time the count was to take place. The electoral cound wasn't concuded unti 3AM on 1/7. That, in my book, is significant enough- and too close for comfort.

And according to the timeline laid out by the 1/6 committee and sworn testimony from 45's GOP aides, career staffers, secserv agents and law enforcement, they came damned close to getting their hands on the VP- they literally missed him by less than two minutes. That sounds to me like a coup attempt that just barely failed.

The 1/6 committee has dotted a LOT of I's and crossed a TON of T's in their presentation to the public. Thousands of hours of research, depositions and testimony went into this. Much of it has been truly eye-opening, with the receipts they've brought.

Just another .02 from someone who watched all the hearings.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: PitDAWG, dawglover05
Legend
Legend
I would feel better about the hearing if it was actually bipartisan or if there was cross exam or at least a voice from the other side... being so partisan I'm don't trust what any of their findings are... I know they've spent a ton of time and money on the hearings, but I think it's a completely farce because it's completely partisan...

don't disagree that the insurrectionists were able to halt the count for a few hours, but there was no way they were truly going to prevent or reverse Biden becoming president... I do think it could have been significantly worse if they had become more violent...

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: 40YEARSWAITING
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Here's how I feel about it. GOPers had the opportunity to put normal members on the committee, but they opted to put disruptive Trump loyalists up. Jim Jordan and Jim Banks were rejected by Pelosi and McCarthy pulled the rest. GOPers could have had 5-7 members on the committee but they wanted to make a spectacle rather than investigate Trump. McCarthy was in this up to his neck too, so that could be why.

McCarthy pulls his 5 GOP members from 1/6 committee after Pelosi rejects 2 of his picks

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/21/politics/nancy-pelosi-rejects-republicans-from-committee/index.html

Why Jim Banks and Jim Jordan Were Blocked From the Capitol Riot Panel

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she was barring them from a committee scrutinizing the attack based on Democrats’ concerns about their “statements made and actions taken” around the assault.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/us/politics/jim-banks-jim-jordan.html

And I am 100% on board with Pelosi not allowing it to become a sideshow of whataboutisms, misdirection, and trial by denial. McCarthy, I think out of fear, screwed the pooch yet again. AND there are two non-Trumpian Republicans who had the guts to join. Their lives have become hell over this. Threats to themselves and their families (CHILDREN!) have been reported numerous times. Attacks from Trump, attacks from Trumpian-led State GOP leaders, and relentless attacks from Trump supporters. They have been politically ostracized. And to be honest, before Trump, you didn't get much further right than Liz Cheney and still be considered sane.

Absolutely not a farce. People don't get to be involved in investigations of themselves as the investigators. And having somebody like Jim Jordan, who may be in trouble himself over this, sit and "cross examine" witnesses is just ridiculous. That would have been the farce. So when McCarthy pulled his list, the next move was to point fingers and scream partisan. Cheney isn't out here pushing dem policies, she's out here pushing American safety and a normal conservative (before Trump anyway) POV on what happened. I give her major props for that because it will probably cost her, at minimum, her political career in the short term. Additionally, who gets to cross-examine criminal cases before you get into court. Trump will get an opportunity for all of that if and when the DOJ charges him, they all will. Then they can cross-examine, testify, rebut, debunk, or anything else you can do in legal proceedings. These public hearings are about telling the people of this country the facts because the lies are ever present within the NEW GOP. I think they have done a fine job, since most of the testimony and witnesses are REPUBLICAN. I'm struggling to think of a dem who has testified unless it's the Capitol police officers or one of the DOJ officials. NOPE, I definitely disagree your idea of it being a farce.

And I agree it could have been worse. If Trump wasn't scared of being removed by the 25th amendment later that day, he would not have called them off. Think about that, a POTUS attacked his own government and did not want to end the violence. And yes, they would never have changed the outcome, but they might have kicked off bloodshed across America, over lies. So I think it was pretty damn serious but could have been much worse.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
McCarthy put forward some of the more notorious flame throwing Trump supporters hoping the throw a monkey wrench into the investigation.

It was a shallow attempt to stop the Jan 6 investigation. Senate Republicans blocked an independent non partisan Warren or 911 type investigation because they feared the results. So that is why we have a house investigation.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Legend
Legend

Are people really Pro-insurrection? Have you listened to Bannon at all.. All they talk about is tearing down the whole government and rebuilding it the way they think it should be.

Yes, I do believe that many many people are REALLY Pro-Insurrection. And it's more than Just extremists., Look at all the politicians that figured HEY, this is a way to win and keep winning, so they jump on board.

The J6 Committee is anything but a Farce. They are showing what really happened on J6. They are clear about it. No farce there.. None at all.. If you are saying it's one sided, you may have a point, but all the defenders of Trump gotta do is show up and testify in the open, live, UNDER OATH.. If they think they are right, what's the harm.. innocent people don't hide.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
How is it partisan when the testimony is from trump appointees?

When the questions asked come from republicans?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think those who participated in the insurrection should be prosecuted... I think this whole Jan 6 committee crap is a complete farce...

So you want people to be prosecuted, but you don't want the investigation that would get that done to do their thing? Or do you just want the prosecutions to target the goons that were dumb enough to post their locations, actions, and intentions on their social media and not anyone working behind the scenes that have enough intelligence to NOT deliver a prosecutor all the required evidence in a nice digital package?

Or do you want to be able to say an investigation happened when it really got buried by beauracratic maneuvering?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I can't really say if a lot of people are pro-insurrection or not. I honestly don't think people think critically at all. Now, it's just reaction.

"So-and-so said something so it must be bad."

"These people are doing something and I'm not supposed to like them, so it's a farce!"

People have entrenched themselves so horrifically in the modern era that many conclusions are drawn without much thought or much deduction at all.

Basically, that's to deduce it all and say I don't even think a lot of people even have the critical thought capacity to know that they're pro-insurrection.

Last edited by dawglover05; 07/27/22 11:05 AM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just the fact that trump would be considered a candidate is astounding.

Never won the popular vote. Twice impeached.

Turned his back on covid and told the public it would go away as thousands died.

Sat in the dining room for over 3 hours and did nothing as the capitol was attacked by people he directed.

And there are people who would vote for him.

That is gut wrenching and tells so much about where some peoples heads are at.

Legend
Legend
I would feel better about the hearing if it was actually bipartisan or if there was cross exam or at least a voice from the other side... being so partisan I'm don't trust what any of their findings are... I know they've spent a ton of time and money on the hearings, but I think it's a completely farce because it's completely partisan...

don't disagree that the insurrectionists were able to halt the count for a few hours, but there was no way they were truly going to prevent or reverse Biden becoming president... I do think it could have been significantly worse if they had become more violent...

This thinking drives me nuts.. If you want the other side of this, all that has to happen is when you are called on to testify, you don't run and hide like Bannon, Rudy, Powell, McCarthy, Meadows, Stone, Eastman and even Trump. If Trump want's his side of it brought out, then show up, LIVE, UNDER OATH and tell everyone why this isn't bipartisan. Tell us all how unfair it is! Tell us why you didn't do what we all saw them do! Tell us about our lying eyes and ears. This I gotta see!

None of them will ever testify live on TV under oath..... Unless they are forced and then, like Eastman, they'll take the 5th..... Someone remind me what Trump said about the 5th......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Agree with you there... anyone calling it a hoax is blind... though I disagree that it was a legit coup... might have been an attempted one but there was zero chance they would get anything significantly accomplished...

And that's a significant point. Attempted murder isn't the same thing as murder. I mean even if the attempted murder was attempted poorly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems like what it is you don't trust must be all of the Republicans. They're the people who are testifying. Let's face it, there are also two Republicans on that panel. The two that seem to be going hard in the paint on this. Republicans just thought it would be convenient to disown them and pretend they're no longer republicans. What is it about these over 40 Republicans who have testified, including those from trump's own inner circle, Pences inner circle and others that you distrust so much?

It's not the democrats that are testifying with all of this evidence. It's Republicans.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
A Capitol rioter was sentenced to 5 years in prison for breaking a pole on a cop's riot shield, then grabbing a heavier pole and attacking police again

A capitol rioter was sentenced to 63 months in prison for assaulting three police officers on January 6, 2021.

Mark K. Ponder, a 56-year-old from Washington, D.C., was sentenced in the District on Tuesday, making his one of the longest prison sentences anyone from the Capitol riots has faced thus far.

Ponder was accused of assaulting officers on the Capitol's West Plaza after rioters broke through the police barrier in the area, according to court documents.

He first swung a thin pole at an officer, which broke when it hit the officer's riot shield, court documents said.

Ponder then grabbed a second, "sturdier" pole — one with red, white, and blue stripes — court documents said, and swung the new pole at a second officer.

According to court documents, about fifteen minutes later, Ponder traveled to the Capitol's Upper West Terrace where he assaulted a third police officer with the same sturdy pole.

After assaulting the third officer, Ponder was taken down by police, court documents said. But those officers were unable to arrest him and were forced to release him because they could not get a transport vehicle back to the Capitol grounds.

Ponder was told to leave the Capitol at this point, but instead returned to the Lower West Terrace to re-join the mob confronting other officers at the mouth of the tunnel, according to court documents.

Ponder was finally arrested on March 17, 2021 and pleaded guilty to assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers using a dangerous weapon on April 22, 2022, a release from the Department of Justice said.

In addition to his prison sentence, he will placed on three years of supervised release following his time served, and he will also have to pay $2,000 in restitution, according to the release.

So far, over 850 people have been arrested for crimes related to the January 6 Capitol insurrection.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cap...lhrcAYj1enjpMMxamSaRUoMn_Shx8Q_kbDBwRLac

After three hours of watching this all unfold, watching the violence inflicted upon the Capital Police this is how trump responded to this at 4:17 p.m.

"I know your pain. I know your hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us. It was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side. But you have to go home now," Trump said in the minute-long video.

"We have to have peace. We have to have law and order. ... So go home. We love you, you’re very special. ... I know how you feel. But go home and go home in peace.”

Here is Tweet he sent out less than two hours later at 6:01 p.m. which he deleted....

“These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!”

And he claims to be the law and order president.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There is so much info like that Pit.. So much. Too much to be ignored. But some will still ignore it all.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Trump says he was Just doing his job as President

https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-2657745152/

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Polls show most Americans don't care about J6. They realize its just the Dems trying to get Americans mind off what they are doing to the country.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Which polls specifically and post the links because I have not seen that anywhere. And you asking your friends and relatives is not a poll.

The desire for a fascist state runs deep in Trumptopia.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/27/22 07:33 PM.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Which polls?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty
Polls show most Americans don't care about J6. They realize its just the Dems trying to get Americans mind off what they are doing to the country.

So I saw this post and the first thing I did is look for a poll that says this. Can't find it... So., please, can you provide this polling source.

By the way, Ive seen a ton of polls that show that 64% of all americans say the Jan 6 Riots were planned. Worse yet, they were planned by then President Trump and his minions..

SO, please, show me the polls that say that...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
More GOPer lies. If you don't have facts to back it up, throw out some BS and pretend it's fact.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Did you know that polls say I'm the best looking DTer?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Polls or polecats?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yes

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was not surveyed.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
When the Washington Post stated: "trump is unworthy to be Chief Executive again."

I had a conversation with my sister a former republican with a law degree.

I asked her "do you think that fox tv broadcasts will change allegiance from trump?"

I made the comment they would and soon. I thought they would begin a slow transfer to Desantis. Maybe it will be Pence?

The station whores at fox will do as they are told.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I was not surveyed.

Must have been Polls then. wink

P
Legend
Legend
P
Jan. 6 rioter accused in attack of Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick pleads guilty

A January 6 rioter accused in the assault of Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick pleaded guilty on Wednesday to disorderly conduct and entering and remaining in a restricted area in connection to the US Capitol attack.

George Tanios, who purchased two cans of bear spray and two cans of pepper spray prior to the riot, faces up to a year behind bars according to his plea agreement, which was read aloud in court Wednesday. He will be sentenced in December.

According to court documents, Tanios brought bear spray to the Capitol that day, which his co-defendant, Julian Khater, used to assault a line of officers, including Sicknick.

Washington, DC’s chief medical examiner determined that Sicknick suffered several strokes and died of natural causes on January 7, 2021. The medical examiner, Francisco Diaz, told The Washington Post at the time that the Capitol attack and “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

In a video recorded that day and cited by the government, Khater can be heard saying, “Give me that bear s**t.”

“Hold on, hold on, not yet, not yet… it’s still early,” Tanios said, before Khater approached a line of officers, including Sicknick, with the spray, court documents say. Attorneys for Khater have argued he only attacked officers after being sprayed first.

Tanios and Khater were initially charged with 10 counts, including conspiracy to impede or injure officers and assaulting officers with a dangerous weapon. During Wednesday’s hearing, prosecutors said they have offered a plea agreement to Khater, which would require him to plead guilty to two counts of assaulting police with a dangerous weapon.

If accepted, Khater’s sentencing guidelines would range from 78 to 97 months, one of the highest sentences a Capitol rioter who has pleaded guilty has faced.

The case has garnered political attention in recent months, particularly in the public hearings held by the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, attack.

When Caroline Edwards, a US Capitol Police officer who was attacked with chemical spray alongside Sicknick, testified to the committee, she recalled the moment she saw Sicknick holding his head in his hands after being sprayed.

“He was ghostly pale, which I figured at that point that he had been sprayed, and I was concerned,” she told the committee in June. “My cop alarm bells went off because if you get sprayed with pepper spray, you’re going to turn red. He turned just about as pale as this sheet of paper.”

Sicknick’s family was also present at the hearing that night.

During Thursday’s prime-time hearing, Rep. Elaine Luria detailed a Jan. 9, 2021, conversation about Sicknick’s death and former President Donald Trump’s days-long silence on the matter between two of Trump’s top campaign officials.

“Also [censored] not to have acknowledged the death of the Capitol Police officer,” Tim Murtaugh, Trump’s former director of communications texted Matthew Wolking, one of Murtaugh’s deputies.

Wolking responded, saying he was enraged and that everything Trump said about supporting law enforcement “was a lie.”

“You know what this is, of course, if he acknowledged the dead cop, he’d be implicitly faulting the mob. And he won’t do that because they’re his people,” Murtaugh replied, adding if Trump acknowledged Sicknick’s death, it could imply acceptance that “what he lit at the rally got out of control.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/poli...OuWVkVmbyZSWzjirOykYDmCS8eiEooix9cyS7GyY

Trump "“We love you. You’re very special.”

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I already put you down as an obvious "yes."

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/30/22 12:24 AM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus January 6th Fallout p6

Link Copied to Clipboard