Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Pit, it's not that I'm dissatisfied, I'm leery of Manchin and the fine print. I just heard Manchin say his staff wrote the bill. This is not the BBB plan, it's parts and it's been through the grinder, who knows what is really in it. But I am a little more hopeful since other dems are celebrating it.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Associated Press

What’s in, and out, of Democrats’ $739 billion inflation-fighting package
Published: July 27, 2022 at 11:50 p.m. ET
By Associated PressFollow

Surprise legislation agreed upon by Manchin, Schumer

WASHINGTON — What started as a $4 trillion effort during President Joe Biden’s first months in office to rebuild America’s public infrastructure and family support systems has ended up a much slimmer, but not unsubstantial, compromise package of inflation-fighting health care, climate change and deficit reduction strategies that appears headed toward quick votes in Congress.

Lawmakers are pouring over the $739 billion proposal struck by two top negotiators, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and holdout Sen. Joe Manchin, the conservative West Virginia Democrat who rejected Biden’s earlier drafts but surprised colleagues late Wednesday with a new one.

What’s in, and out, of the Democrats’ 725-page “Inflation Reduction Act of 2022” as it stands now:

Lower prescription drug costs
Launching a long-sought goal, the bill would allow the Medicare program to negotiate prescription drug prices with pharmaceutical companies, saving the federal government some $288 billion over the 10-year budget window.

Those new revenues would be put back into lower costs for seniors on medications, including a $2,000 out-of-pocket cap for older adults buying prescriptions from pharmacies.

Money would also be used to provide free vaccinations for seniors, who now are among the few not guaranteed free access, according to a summary document.

Help paying for health insurance
The bill would extend the subsidies provided during the COVID-19 pandemic to help some Americans who buy health insurance on their own.

Under earlier pandemic relief, the extra help was set to expire this year. But the bill would allow the assistance to keep going for three more years, lowering insurance premiums for people who are purchasing their own health care policies.

‘Single biggest investment in climate change in U.S. history’
The bill would invest $369 billion over the decade in climate change-fighting strategies including investments in renewable energy production and tax rebates for consumers to buy new or used electric vehicles.

It’s broken down to include $60 billion for a clean energy manufacturing tax credit and $30 billion for a production tax credit for wind and solar, seen as ways to boost and support the industries that can help curb the country’s dependence on fossil fuels.

For consumers, there are tax breaks as incentives to go green. One is a 10-year consumer tax credits for renewable energy investments in wind and solar. There are tax breaks for buying electric vehicles, including a $4,000 tax credit for purchase of used electric vehicles and $7,500 for new ones.

In all, Democrats believe the strategy could put the country on a path to cut greenhouse gas emissions 40% by 2030, and “would represent the single biggest climate investment in U.S. history, by far.”

How to pay for all of this?
The biggest revenue-raiser in the bill is a new 15% minimum tax on corporations that earn more than $1 billion in annual profits.

It’s a way to clamp down on some 200 U.S. companies that avoid paying the standard 21% corporate tax rate, including some that end up paying no taxes at all.

The new corporate minimum tax would kick in after the 2022 tax year, and raise some $313 billion over the decade.

Money is also raised by boosting the IRS to go after tax cheats. The bill proposes an $80 billion investment in taxpayer services, enforcement and modernization, which is projected to raise $203 billion in new revenue — a net gain of $124 billion over the decade.

The bill sticks with Biden’s original pledge not to raise taxes on families or businesses making less than $400,000 a year.

The lower drug prices for seniors are paid for with savings from Medicare’s negotiations with the drug companies.

Extra money to pay down deficits
With $739 billion in new revenue and some $433 billion in new investments, the bill promises to put the difference toward deficit reduction.

Federal deficits have spiked during the COVID-19 pandemic when federal spending soared and tax revenues fell as the nation’s economy churned through shutdowns, closed offices and other massive changes.

The nation has seen deficits rise and fall in recent years. But overall federal budgeting is on an unsustainable path, according to the Congressional Budget Office, which put out a new report this week on long-term projections.

What’s left behind
This latest package after 18 months of start-stop negotiations leaves behind many of Biden’s more ambitious goals.

While Congress did pass a $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill of highway, broadband and other investments that Biden signed into law last year, the president’s and the party’s other priorities have slipped away.

Among them, a continuation of a $300 monthly child tax credit that was sending money directly to families during the pandemic and is believed to have widely reduced child poverty.

Also gone, for now, are plans for free pre-kindergarten and free community college, as well as the nation’s first paid family leave program that would have provided up to $4,000 a month for births, deaths and other pivotal needs.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...ghting-package-01658980250?siteid=yhoof2

Last edited by Jester; 07/28/22 04:20 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Wow is that it? Is that all we can get done? For Christ sake the government trips over themselves again and the stalemate continues.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Good video. I am of the belief the Fed knows they screwed up and are acting aggressively to counter it. It may be too late in some respects, but I don't expect them to back off anytime soon. The stock market appears to disagree, we'll see how this turn out.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Tension is rising as Mexico City locals have noticed the growing trend of American remote workers flocking to take advantage of the “cheap amenities."

The sudden influx of Americans to the area has sparked an outcry from locals claiming this migration of remote workers as "neo-imperialism" and citing the damaging trend of gentrification as the reason for the economic imbalance.

Article - https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...-city-some-mexicans-want-them-to-go-home

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, Mexicans don't like legal Americans going to their city/cities?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

it seems like they don't like Californians lol

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Which is really crazy since

Hispanic and Latino Californians are residents of the state of California who are of Hispanic or Latino ancestry. As of the 2020 U.S. Census, Hispanics and Latinos of any race were 39.4% of the state's population, making it the largest ethnicity in the state of California.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Which is really crazy since

Hispanic and Latino Californians are residents of the state of California who are of Hispanic or Latino ancestry. As of the 2020 U.S. Census, Hispanics and Latinos of any race were 39.4% of the state's population, making it the largest ethnicity in the state of California.

Was referencing the ones moving to Mexico City.

Heritage has nothing to do with it

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Maybe someone will run for office there who wants to build a wall and get us to pay for it wink

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Yet you don't know how many of those Californians who may have moved back were of latino heritage. Why would they hate any of those 39.4 percent who might have moved back? and if they don't hate them but only hate the non latino's then it is about Heritage.

Legend
Legend
brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yet you don't know how many of those Californians who may have moved back were of latino heritage. Why would they hate any of those 39.4 percent who might have moved back? and if they don't hate them but only hate the non latino's then it is about Heritage.

did you actually read the article or are you just throwing up percentages without knowing what the article actually said?

Legend
Legend
I read the article. Are you just assuming that no latinos have money?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hmmmm... Well, when you are addressing a person who supports a man that says something like this.... "They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."... it's not hard to understand why they may think that way.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

anti-gentrification is universal. they don't have a problem with americans, they have a problem with the higher cost of living that tends to come afterwards.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I read the article. Are you just assuming that no latinos have money?

I didn't assume that at all nor has anything I have said indicated that.

Legend
Legend
Did you not say that they
it seems like they don't like Californians

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

When I lived there, in Mexico, they didn't really get along with their 'cousins' that were Mexican-American. There was always a culture clash. Hell, I went to jail for a night in Tijuana for defending a mouthy Mexican-American from my ship, when he got jumped by the Mexicans that he was acting like he was better than. So, at least back then, I was familiar with the way native Mexicans treated Mexican-Americans and Gringos.

No, what this looks like IMO is hard-working Mexicans seeing everything cost more and blaming the surge of Americans who have moved there for their financial woes. Sounds just like Americans who are struggling and their response to immigrants here.

Legend
Legend
Praise the lord... sorry you wont agree with that lol... Finally I can agree with one of your posts 100 percent bro. It's been a while.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did you not say that they
it seems like they don't like Californians

I 100% said that it seems like Mexicans do not like Californians.

Somehow, in your brain, you made the connection that Californians who go to Mexico 39.4% of the time are Latinos who have no money.

That's not very woke of you.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
The inflation Reduction Act that Schumer and Manchin are pushing is another corporate handout, smh. One man in Congress speaks the truth without deviation, he tells us about this deal:

Legend
Legend
Do I have to start drawing you pictures since you can't seem to follow written words?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
From a closed thread https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthre...s-what-they-have-become-pt-5#Post1957193

I found out today the promotion I got the promotion I applied for, with a nice pay bump to boot.

8 members like this: dawglover05, Clemdawg, GMdawg
Legend
Legend
congrats on the promotion bro!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks man.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

In case you haven't noticed, the national average price nationally for a gallon of gas is now under $4

https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

E
Legend
Legend
E
Probably because they read the actual bill and arent gullible like libtards.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Probably because they read the actual bill and arent gullible like libtards.

It's like trying to train a mosquito.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: EveDawg
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

I guess some things are just a matter of better perception.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I am married to a person who only beats me 2x a week. My old spouse beat me 5x a week.

Things are better!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I am married to a person who only beats me 2x a week. My old spouse beat me 5x a week.

Things are better!

if the only thing you attract is abusive women, than the lower amount of ass beatings is an upgrade.

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
jc

so we have a ton of jobs, and inflation still a big issue but the prices starting to level out a bit. right now the biggest problem are these REITs and other corporations buying up single family homes, but i'm not exactly sure what the government can do about that without being called commies.

i wish this country would get together and have a serious national discussion on residential and commercial zoning. the housing market is really volatile. interest rates drop a % for a few weeks then went back up. one issue that's crazy is how builders and buyers are backing out of home construction contracts. from the buyer end, appreciation increase means that a lot of buyers can't afford the mortgage on the home at closing. on the builder end, supply chain crunches are forcing them to back out of contracts in favor of sub divisions due to cost and shortage of labor.

overall, talks of recession damn near disappeared, and americans are back to the typical bickering we do, highlighting all the 1st world problems we have this country. ya know, violent video games, some celebrity saying dumb crap, legalese drama in congress, and feminism lol.

business as usual.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
jc

overall, talks of recession damn near disappeared

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/22/economy/nabe-economists-recession-inflation/index.html

By Matt Egan for CNN Business

Updated 10:55 AM ET, Mon August 22, 2022

72% of economists expect a US recession by the middle of next year

P
Legend
Legend
P
The same thing that was predicted about last months drop in the job market? You know, before it was announced there were 528k jobs were created in July?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Trump isn't in the White House,, we're way better off.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by Swish
jc

overall, talks of recession damn near disappeared

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/22/economy/nabe-economists-recession-inflation/index.html

By Matt Egan for CNN Business

Updated 10:55 AM ET, Mon August 22, 2022

72% of economists expect a US recession by the middle of next year

wait, so we moved the recession back from this year to next year?

will it start at the same time the civil war does?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Sigh…the economy... Part 3

Link Copied to Clipboard