Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
I have read that Cooper is supposed to be an outstanding route runner and very good at shedding DBs to get open at the line of scrimmage. I am certainkly not qualified to evaluate and don't watch the Cowboys much so can anyone shed light on this?
Cooper is a feast or famine WR. Last year in game 1 he had 130
Yds receiving, then didnt register a 100 yd game the rest of
The season. Yeah hes a upgrade over Landry but thats not
Saying much.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have read that Cooper is supposed to be an outstanding route runner and very good at shedding DBs to get open at the line of scrimmage. I am certainkly not qualified to evaluate and don't watch the Cowboys much so can anyone shed light on this?

Cooper is known as one of the best route runners in the league. I'm not sure about how he does in regards to getting off of press coverage at the LOS.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually he had another game for over 100 yards vs Minnesota on 10/31.

8 receptions on 13 targets for 122 yards.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Actually he had another game for over 100 yards vs Minnesota on 10/31.

8 receptions on 13 targets for 122 yards.
I stand corrected.
I think.Cooper will need to produce more than.2-100 yd
Games in order to help this offense ascend.
He cant produce 126 1 week than the next 3 weeks
He totals 120 yds.
The Browns have lacked a home run.threat for years
Now at WR. Cooper needs to put fear in a secondary

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with you. It will take more than name recognition.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
In the years 2020 and 2021, Landry and Beckham combined for two 100 yard games.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Cooper is a feast or famine WR. Last year in game 1 he had 130
Yds receiving, then didnt register a 100 yd game the rest of
The season. Yeah hes a upgrade over Landry but thats not
Saying much.
My big concern with Cooper is his ineffectiveness outside of Dallas. he was always very good at home and very pedestrian on the road

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Happy voting.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Option 4 over Option 1 just slightly. Just the helmet on the 50 yd line, please.

Last edited by AZBrown; 07/30/22 03:40 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Cooper is known as one of the best route runners in the league. I'm not sure about how he does in regards to getting off of press coverage at the LOS.

The professionals don't necessarily agree with your amateur scouting report.
https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ne...-not-to-sign-dallas-cowboys-amari-cooper

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article263841342.html

https://fantasysixpack.net/2022-fantasy-football-overrated-players/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-dallas-cowboys-release-amari-cooper-free-agency-2022

https://twitter.com/pff/status/1208881199390887936?lang=en

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: atgolds
B
2nd String
2nd String
B

Cooper is an aging number 2 receiver. If he is drawing the other teams best DB, he is in trouble

Legend
Legend
...and Baker is a washed up number 2 qb.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: atgolds, FL_Dawg
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted by jfanent

We'll see in a couple of years if that is true or not, now that he is freed from the most dysfunctional, moralless organization in sports

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... Cooper is 28 and in his prime right now

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by steve0255

The professionals don't necessarily agree with your amateur scouting report.
https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ne...-not-to-sign-dallas-cowboys-amari-cooper

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article263841342.html

https://fantasysixpack.net/2022-fantasy-football-overrated-players/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-dallas-cowboys-release-amari-cooper-free-agency-2022

https://twitter.com/pff/status/1208881199390887936?lang=en

Really?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-amari-cooper-one-nfl-best-route-runners

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015acooper.php

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...aking-his-route-running-to-another-level

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...e-are-3-ways-he-does-it-film-review.html

https://www.nfl.com/videos/amari-cooper-s-double-move-on-sluggo-route-creates-29-yard-gain

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...port-cowboys-got-potential-game-breaker/

Btw----how is Carolina's board?

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not sure, never visited - How's Watson's OnlyFans board?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Baker_Dawg
Originally Posted by jfanent

We'll see in a couple of years if that is true or not, now that he is freed from the most dysfunctional, moralless organization in sports.

Not looking good. He was outperformed by the 3rd and 4th string qb's yesterday. Maybe the receivers were running the wrong routes down there too, or he's having a hard time motivating the guys just there for a paycheck. Good thing that Cheesecake Factory is nearby.

charlotteobserver.com

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by steve0255
Not sure, never visited - How's Watson's OnlyFans board?

Great! You should join.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

"We like to put as many guys on the ground as possible, just because the act of picking yourself up off the ground takes something out of ya."

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
2 members like this: jfanent, Versatile Dog
T
Legend
Legend
T
He's not superman just because the Browns have nobody else on the team and so no one else to talk about; That doesn't make the only guy you have suddenly become superman.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for posting that. Unlike Kyler Murray, I love watching game film. Our OL is something special.

Three quick notes:

That first clip where Conklin is blocking Chris Jones of the Chiefs. The coach mentions Jones' left arm as a weapon. Conklin did a great job, but it might have been smart to have Hunt chip Jones because his left arm was exposed.

The second thing is about Teller. Everytime I watch him, it is amazing just how freaking strong that man is. He freaking manhandles people.

Finally, watch how Teller is stepping. His lead foot shoots out first. Believe it or not, you really have to teach that. Think about track guys and how their back foot comes out of the blocks first. Watch how Teller goes to his right and steps w/the right foot first. Later, he does the same thing w/his left foot when moving left. This helps a blocker get his hat across a man's body and aides in coming out of the shoot as well as balance. It takes quite a bit of practice to commit it to muscle memory.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Throw.......your constant negativity is a thing, but I'll post what I want. I did not say he was "Superman." I said he was a good route runner in regards to a question Fort asked awhile back and I then provided links to back-up my claim after it was challenged.

Legend
Legend
Notes: DL coach Chris Kiffin says Myles Garrett more ‘locked in’ than ever, sees DPOY award in his future

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/07/...than-ever-sees-dpoy-award-in-his-future/

BEREA — Chris Kiffin is in his third season coaching defensive end Myles Garrett. Kiffin has never seen his superstar quite like this.

“I know it’s (early in) camp, he’s been locked in more so than I’ve ever seen,” Kiffin, the defensive line coach, said Saturday before practice. “He’s out early to everything, he’s really taken the next step, as far as in our defensive line room being the leader. Obviously he does that for the team. But he knows that room is his now — he had some older guys when he first got in there — and he’s really locked in right now.

“Obviously the talent continues to keep getting better year to year.”

Garrett said Wednesday one of his personal goals for his sixth season is to “get some more DPOY votes.” Despite being a first-team All-Pro the last two years and totaling 28 sacks, he’s never received a vote for Defensive Player of the Year. He’s always wanted to win the award and is the betting favorite this season.

“I absolutely see that in his future,” Kiffin said. “I think he does, too.

“His time will come, and hopefully it’s this year.”

Kiffin was surprised Garrett hasn’t received any DPOY votes and didn’t have an explanation.

“I can’t speak on that. I would vote for him if I had a vote. I love coaching the guy,” Kiffin said. “I mean, why wouldn’t he get votes? He does everything we ask him to do. He plays the run, he’s all over the field, he hardly comes off the field, he impacts the game a number of different ways, he’s unblockable, has been as advertised, he’s gone through three guys before. So, yeah, I’ll vote for him.”

Garrett will be joined for the second straight season by Jadeveon Clowney at the other end. After waiting a good chunk of the offseason, Clowney re-signed on a one-year, $10 million contract.

“As you guys see, he’s happy right now,” Kiffin said. “He’s very happy to be out here. So we’re excited. When JD’s happy, everyone’s happy.

“Obviously he’ll get a little tired here when we start getting into the dog days of camp, make sure he has that same energy. But the guys are happy to have him back, he’s happy to be back and we expect the same results as last year, if not better.”

Clowney had nine sacks, 19 quarterback hits and two forced fumbles.

THE NEW GUY

The Browns acquired Chase Winovich from the Patriots in March in a trade for linebacker Mack Wilson. Winovich played outside linebacker in New England and will shift to defensive end, competing with rookies Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas and veterans Stephen Weatherly and Isaac Rochell for playing time behind Garrett and Clowney.

“He’s learning the techniques, he’s learning how to line up and things like that,” Kiffin said. “We’ve got to see when we put the pads on and get going if he’s a scheme fit and how he falls into line.”

BETTER BY THE DAY

When starting tight end Austin Hooper was cut in March, David Njoku moved into the No. 1 role and Harrison Bryant became No. 2. Bryant, a fourth-round pick in 2020, has 45 catches for 471 yards and six touchdowns in 31 games.

“Oh, my god, night and day,” Njoku said of Bryant’s improvement. “Even when he came here as a rookie, he was very, very good. Each day, the route-running, the catching, the blocking, everything, as an overall tight end, he’s improving every day.”

New tight ends coach T.C. McCartney said Bryant’s production through two years isn’t what anyone wanted but his performance has been solid.

“He does a lot of things that don’t show up on the stat sheet necessarily, but we expect him to take the next step, as well,” McCartney said.

BUCKEYE BACKUP

Defensive tackle Tommy Togiai, a fourth-round pick out of Ohio State in 2021, had a quiet rookie season, totaling 16 tackles, a half-sack and a pass defensed in six games. He’s slotted to back up starters Jordan Elliott and Taven Bryan.

“Right now, he’s a rotational guy for our two-deep on the depth chart,” Kiffin said. “I was pleased with Tommy’s rookie year. When his number was called, he was always around the ball making plays. He does everything right in our scheme. He’s got to take the next step like all these guys do.

“He’s a very, very strong individual. That gives you a chance to keep blockers off you, locate the ball, get off of guys like he does and get to the ball.”

INJURY REPORT

Receiver Isaiah Weston (6-foot-4, 214 pounds) was carted off the field with a knee injury. He’s an undrafted rookie from Northern Iowa.

The Browns finished practice down four receivers. Rookie third-rounder David Bell (foot) remains on the physically unable to perform list, Javon Wims is out with an illness and Anthony Schwartz strained his left knee Thursday. Schwartz wasn’t on the field for the second straight practice.

** Weatherly (knee) missed his first practice and wasn’t on the field.

** Right tackle Jack Conklin (knee), cornerback Denzel Ward (foot), defensive tackle Sheldon Day (back), linebacker Anthony Walker Jr. (groin) and Bell again worked on the side.

EXTRA POINTS

Former left tackle Joe Thomas was at practice and received big cheers from the crowd.

** Clowney made it through the line and rejected a pass from Watson.

** Garrett “sacked” Jacoby Brissett in one of his reps with the first-team offense.

** Rookie sixth-round receiver Michael Woods II adjusted to catch a slightly underthrown deep ball from Brissett.

** The Puppy Pound is back for an eighth season, and 10 puppies were adopted.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
'The glue': Safety Grant Delpit becoming a leader among Cleveland Browns defensive backs

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...-harrison-lsu-interceptions/10144328002/

BEREA — As he begins his second season in Cleveland, free safety John Johnson III could barely contain his excitement.

He feels a better vibe with the continuity on the Browns’ defense. He envisions one of the league’s best safety trios as he teams with Ronnie Harrison Jr. and Grant Delpit. And Johnson sees a new “glue” in the defensive backs’ room.

Surprisingly, Johnson gave that designation to Delpit, the second-round pick in 2020 who missed his rookie season after rupturing his Achilles in training camp. Delpit started seven of the 15 games he played last season, was voted by teammates as the winner of the Ed Block Courage Award and was a standout in the Browns’ June minicamp.

“I think he's like a mixture of myself and Ronnie. I feel like he can do pretty much everything, and he has done it,” Johnson said of Delpit before Thursday's second training camp practice. “Even you go back to his LSU days, he pretty much did everything for them.

“Can take the ball away, he's explosive, he's a good leader, I think people sleep on that. He works hard, does everything right. I think he's just like the glue to the safety room, and honestly to the DB room.”

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski believes the fact that Delpit is starting to show leadership is a product of his understanding of the defense.

“Any leadership probably comes from him being more comfortable out there on the grass,” Stefanski said. “Natural leaders, that starts to come out of them when they can process information quickly and can react quickly and are doing their job.”

Johnson, 26, who signed as an unrestricted free agent from the Los Angeles Rams in 2021, has high expectations for Delpit, 23. Last season, Delpit totaled 66 tackles, three for losses, one sack, one interception, a forced fumble and three pass breakups in starting seven of his 15 games.

“I mean, he could be one of the best, like period,” Johnson said. “In the game that we got today, our safeties we don’t really get mentioned in those top tier safeties. I think this is an opportunity for us — we know each other and we feed off each other — [to] be ... one of the best trios. I think we can be the best trio in the league and I’m just looking forward to it.”

The Browns return nine starters on defense, replacing two defensive tackles and nickel back Troy Hill. That’s why Johnson was enthused.

“It’s a lot different, like the vibe is way better,” Johnson said. “I don’t know if it’s just me, but everyone feels that same vibe, like we got a lot of guys back, that continuity is huge, especially on defense. It’s fun and we’re enjoying it and we can’t wait to get out on the field.”

That familiarity and the defensive backs’ versatility could allow defensive coordinator Joe Woods to play three safeties more often.

“That brings me back to last year when we were talking, ‘Oh, we’ll put three safeties on the field, how is it going to work’? We had a lot of ups and downs, but toward the end of the year we kind of meshed given whatever position the core safeties were playing,” Johnson said.

Asked if that look can be effective, Johnson said, “Oh, absolutely. Sometimes you want to bring more corners up there.

“I think bringing the safeties up there, especially with our skill types we can do pretty much anything — Ronnie and Grant they can play nickel. They play dime. They play whatever you ask them to do. So I think us three on the field, even whatever the offense gives us, I think we can stand up and play any type of defense.”

Johnson is just as confident about the Browns’ defense, which ranked fifth in the league last season, its highest since 1987 and the third time since 1970 it had cracked the top five. It was also fifth in pass defense, its highest finish since 2011.

Johnson believes his unit can build off how it played in the second half of last season.

“Towards the end of last year, we were like really rolling,” he said. “At the beginning of the year, we were kind of thinking a lot, we’re trying to get adjusted but even now it just feels natural.

“We don’t even have to say anything to each other, we just look and that’s the definition of a good defense, a good secondary from what I’ve learned.”

The Browns are emphasizing takeaways after totaling 13 interceptions and six fumble recoveries last season. Johnson tied cornerback Denzel Ward for the team lead with three interceptions, but Johnson wants more as he strives to improve as the Browns' last line of defense.

“Being a perfectionist playing deep, that’s just me personally,” he said. "Usually if you can limit big plays you’re going to win the game and have a good defense. I think that’s my role, being the air traffic control, not let anything get behind us and playing deep.

“We were just watching teach tape and relearning the systems and I popped on a lot of the clips. I’m like, ‘OK, I’ve got stuff to build on, but I also did some good things last year.’”

Johnson’s former team won the Super Bowl in February, and he said “it was bittersweet” watching the Rams defeat the Cincinnati Bengals 23-20.

He was in Los Angeles and had tickets to go to the game, but decided to watch it on television.

“I know most of the guys; there are a lot of new guys as well. I know the work that they put in, their daily rhythm, their daily routine,” he said. “They were deserving of it, it’s not like it’s a fluke or anything.”

But Johnson didn’t wish he had been there.

“Nah, I’m where my feet are,” he said. “I like being here and I think we can get there with our group.”

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks to you and P-dawg for all the articles about Browns football. It's appreciated.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Hey Throw.......your constant negativity is a thing, but I'll post what I want. I did not say he was "Superman." I said he was a good route runner in regards to a question Fort asked awhile back and I then provided links to back-up my claim after it was challenged.

Yep, and that's what I was looking for. Didn't realize he was an aging number 2 receiver, especially after I had read an article related to his route running, Just looking for confirmation. Thanks Vers.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You're welcome.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O

2 members like this: FATE, GratefulDawg
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
Lol Carly Teller says that after our most successful few years in like 30

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
"Browns fans... just livin' that dream."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Should the NFL and NFLPA try to settle Deshaun Watson’s discipline before the appeal ruling? Hey, Mary Kay!
Updated: Aug. 08, 2022, 8:00 p.m.|Published: Aug. 08, 2022, 7:09 p.m.

Should the Browns trade for Jimmy Garoppolo? Hey? Mary Kay!
facebook
twitter
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio — In this edition of Hey, Mary Kay! I answer questions about Deshaun Watson, Kareem Hunt, Jimmy Garoppolo and more.

Hey, Mary Kay: Should the NFLPA and Deshaun Watson try to get in front of Peter Harvey’s decision by offering his 2021 salary ($10.5 M) as a fine, with no additional games added to the suspension? I think that would be a victory for Watson. I think the deck is stacked against him. -- Mike Chester, Maryland

Hey, Mike: I do think it might be wise for the two sides to try to settle the discipline before the ruling and before the NFL Players Association sues in federal court, but it’s my understanding that there are currently no settlement talks taking place. Watson’s camp is obviously dismayed that the NFL appealed Sue L. Robinson’s six-game suspension, and they’re not in the mood to discuss increasing it. At this point, I believe Watson’s side would rather wait for the ruling by Harvey, the NFL appeals officer, and then decide how to proceed. If Harvey upholds the six-game suspension or reduces it, the NFLPA probably won’t sue. If Harvey rules in the NFL’s favor and suspends Watson indefinitely for a minimum of a year, he’ll sue and it will drag on in court.

Hey Mary Kay: Since the NFLPA accepted Judge Sue L. Robinson’s decision against Deshaun Watson and declined to appeal it prior to her decision being announced, is the six-game suspension ironclad no matter what? — Ronnie Butcher, Chapmanville, WV.

Hey, Ronnie: If the NFLPA sues in federal court to have the suspension reduced or overturned, it could possibly secure a temporary restraining order that would enable Watson to play at some point during the first six games of the season. The six-game suspension, therefore, isn’t necessarily ironclad even though the NFLPA didn’t cross appeal it. Tom Brady and Ezekiel Elliott both played while their suspensions were challenged in court. The NFL eventually won and the suspensions were reinstated, but they both played during the legal rollercoaster. Daniel Moskowitz, a sports law litigator in Dallas who has represented several NFL players in NFL investigations involving the personal conduct policy, violation of league substance abuse and other code of conduct policies, corroborated that it’s not impossible for him to play early on.

Hey, Mary Kay: If Deshaun Watson is suspended for 10 games or more, will the Browns pursue Jimmy Garoppolo? — Ben Jones, Macon, Ga.

Hey, Ben: To this point, the Browns have been willing to ride with Jacoby Brissett for however long Watson is out. But that was based on the educated guess that Watson would be suspended for 6-8 games. If the suspension increases to 10 games or more, the Browns will likely revisit their quarterback situation to make sure they still feel good about it. If they feel the need to upgrade, they’ll consider all of their options — as they always do — and that would include Garoppolo. In fact, he’s one of the only accomplished starters available.

But they’re not clamoring to get it done at the moment. The 49ers could release him around cutdown day Aug. 30, and perhaps the Browns would be more interested then. One good thing is that he runs a similar offense and it wouldn’t take long to get up to speed. He’s also coming off surgery in March on his right throwing shoulder and is working his way back to 100%.

Sports betting comes to Ohio on Jan. 1, 2023: Your questions answered

Hey, Mary Kay: With the poor timing of Kareem Hunt’s “hold in” do you think we potentially use him as a trade piece for Jimmy Garoppolo if Deshaun Watson is out for the year? I have a hard time believing we’re keeping all of these running backs on the final 53. It could also make sense to do an incentive-(laden) and team-friendly deal. Your thoughts? — Zach Cleary.

Hey, Zach: It’s an interesting proposition. If the Browns get to the point where they want to trade for Garoppolo rather than let him become a free agent, they could possibly consider swapping him for Hunt. But as of the weekend, the Browns were not looking to trade Hunt and believe he can be an integral part of their offense this season. Again, a lengthy Watson suspension could shake everything up.

Hey, Mary Kay: Should the Browns call Green Bay and inquire about possibly trading a middle- or late-round pick for Jordan Love if Deshaun Watson is going to be suspended for an extended period of time? — Howard Campbell, Bedford, Ohio

Hey, Howard: As I mentioned above, the Browns will explore all of their options in the event Watson is out for double-digit games. They’ll look at the rosters of all NFL teams and explore trade possibilities if they feel they need a better temporary QB1. But NFL teams won’t part easily with a good backup, and the Packers still view Love as their possible QB of the future. If the Browns don’t feel the need to upgrade — and they really like Brissett — they’ll continue to search for a backup to Brissett during roster cutdowns.

Hey, Mary Kay: A lot of people feel that the NFL appeal is the doomsday scenario and they will never reinstate Deshaun Watson. What must the Browns do in terms of salvaging this season? — Richard, Brook Park

Hey, Richard: The Browns and their fans must be patient until the suspension is finalized. At that point, the team must decide the best course of action. But the Browns can win a lot of games with their dominant defense and excellent running game even if Watson is out for the year, which isn’t a foregone conclusion.

Hey, Mary Kay: Our wide receiver room doesn’t have that much depth. If Amari Cooper were to miss any games for whatever reason should we be worried? — Kevin Laing, Lewis Center, Ohio

Hey, Kevin: I’ve maintained all along that I think the Browns could use another established veteran receiver in the room, but there aren’t many available. One reliable one I’m intrigued by is Cole Beasley. The Browns haven’t been interested to this point, but maybe they’ll reconsider after the preseason games depending on how things go. They can also look for one to shake out in the cuts.

Hey, Mary Kay: Do you think that A.J. Green will get more playing time this year, after receiving higher PFF grades than both Denzel Ward and Greg Newsome II? — Steven C., Kettering, Ohio

Hey, Steven: Green has had an excellent camp, and has answered the bell every time he’s on the field. As you mentioned, he graded higher than Ward and Newsome last season on PFF, but he had only 176 snaps to Ward’s 855 and Newsome’s 691. Green finished second on the team to Myles Garrett with an 86.2 defensive grade, Ward finished fourth at 76.9 and Newsome 11th at 68.1. Green might be on the field a lot early on if Ward needs more time to recover from his foot injury. He’s still on the physically unable to perform list and is coming up on almost two months since he injured it on the final day of minicamp.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...fore-the-appeal-ruling-hey-mary-kay.html

Legend
Legend
To her point, AJ Green has been a great find for us. He’s making our secondary even better with Newsome in the slot

2 members like this: Versatile Dog, mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
This article has NFL news. I didn't want to start a new thread and wasn't sure where to put it. The news on Brady is mysterious and a shout out to James White, who had a very nice career in NE.

Patriots' James White surprisingly retires, plus Tom Brady to miss at least 10 days, Deshaun Watson update
Here's everything you need to know about the NFL for Aug. 11

John Breech

By John Breech
1 hr ago

Normally, this is the part where I babble through an introduction, but we don't have time for that today because there's so much to cover.

From James White's retirement to Tom Brady's mysterious absence from Buccaneers training camp, there's a lot going on around the NFL. Oh, and let's not forget that the Browns just named Deshaun Watson the starter for a game that he might not even be allowed to play in.

We'll be covering that and more today, so let's get to the rundown.

As always, here's your weekly reminder to tell all your friends to sign up for the newsletter. All you have to do is click here and then share the link. Let's get to the rundown.

1. Today's show: Predicting the winner in each QB battle

With less than a month to go until the start of the NFL season, there are still three teams out there who aren't quite sure who their starting quarterback is going to be. Those three teams are the Panthers, Steelers and Seahawks, and since all three teams are still undecided about who to start at QB, Will Brinson and Tyler Sullivan decided to make those decisions for them on Thursday's episode of the Pick Six Podcast.

The two guys went through each of the QB battles and then made a prediction on who's going to win each one. Right now, the battle that's probably the most difficult to predict is the one going on in Seattle between Geno Smith and Drew Lock.

So who's going to win? Glad you asked, because we have a lot to unpack here.

For one, Sullivan thinks that Seattle's starting quarterback might not even end up being one of those two guys.

"I'm waiting [on making a prediction] in this quarterback competition until we find out what happens with Jimmy Garoppolo," Sullivan said. "I'm waiting to just kind of solidify my opinion on this battle, because if all of a sudden Jimmy Garoppolo gets cut, then everyone is pointing to the Seahawks and saying, 'He's an immediate upgrade over Smith and Lock. It makes no sense not to go get him now that he's free from the San Francisco 49ers.' For me, it's just kind of a holding pattern."

Brinson definitely liked the idea of Garoppolo as the possible starter in Seattle.

"He has a higher ceiling than Geno and a higher floor than Drew Lock," Brinson said.

That being said, both guys agreed that the only way Garoppolo will end up in Seattle is if the 49ers cut him because there's no way San Francisco would trade the QB to a division rival.

Of course, Brinson also pointed out that it might not matter who the Seahawks' starter is because Pete Carroll is likely planning to win this year by playing classic Pete Carroll football.

"Pete Carroll wants to shrink football games, play good defense, run the football and try and steal victories in close one-score games," Brinson said. "He is recreating the 2011 Seahawks formula. Now, they went 7-9 that year, so maybe it's not a great plan."

The Seahawks did lose five games in 2011 by six or fewer points, and if they had won just three of those games, they would have gone 10-6, so maybe Carroll is planning to go full 2011.

Anyway, if you want to hear the two guys predict who will win each QB battle, you can do that by checking out today's episode, which you can do on YouTube by clicking here. You can also listen by clicking here.

2. Deshaun Watson update: Why the Browns QB might not be able to play Friday even though he was named the starter
The Cleveland Browns made a big announcement Wednesday when they revealed that Deshaun Watson would the starting quarterback for the team's opening preseason game on Friday against Jacksonville.

Although Watson has been named the starter, it's very possible he won't end up playing in the game. Here's a the latest on Watson's situation:

Browns name him the starting QB for Week 1 of the preseason. Even though he's currently suspended for the first six games of the season, Watson is still eligible to play in preseason games. The Browns are trying to take advantage of that by getting him on the field as soon as possible.
Why Watson might not play despite being named the starter. If the NFL's appeal leads to a longer suspension for Watson, there's a chance he won't be allowed to play. When a player is suspended for at least a year, that usually means they're not allowed to participate in preseason activities, including games. However, if Watson is suspended for less than a year -- let's say he gets hit with a 12-game suspension -- then he would still be allowed to play Friday.
The NFL wants him out immediately. According to Pro Football Talk, if Watson gets suspended for at least one year, the league wants to see the suspension implemented immediately. This is notable, because there's some confusion about whether Watson would be allowed to play Friday if he gets a suspension of one year or more. As we noted above, players generally AREN'T allowed to play in the preseason if they're suspended for an entire year, but as noted by ESPN, that only applies to suspensions for PEDs or gambling. It's not clear if this would apply to a suspension for violating the personal conduct policy, which is why things could get interesting if Watson's suspension gets extended at any point before the Browns kick off on Friday.
If the NFL wants any chance of keeping Watson off the field, they're going to need appeals officer Peter C. Harvey to render a decision at some point in the next 24 hours.

3. Week 1 preseason preview: Two games going down on Thursday night

After getting a small taste of the NFL preseason with the Hall of Fame game last week, we're getting an even bigger taste tonight with two games on the docket. Since there are only two games, we're going to go ahead and preview them both by pointing out one thing you should be watching out for tonight.

Giants at Patriots (7 p.m. ET, NFL Network)

Who will call offensive plays for the Patriots? According to ESPN, most of the Patriots starters won't be playing tonight, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be paying attention to what they're doing on offense. One of the biggest mysteries surrounding the Patriots this offseason is who's going to end up calling offensive plays. With Josh McDaniels now in Las Vegas, the job is wide open and Bill Belichick has refused to reveal who the play-caller will be. Belichick can't keep the identity of the play-caller a secret forever and it's possible we'll get a hint tonight at who the play-caller will be (The odds on favorite right now is Matt Patricia).
What does Daniel Jones look like? The Giants quarterback is going into the biggest season of his career. The Giants didn't pick up his fifth-year option, which means he has one season and one season only to prove to new coach Brian Daboll that he can be New York's franchise QB. Jones is expected to play at least a quarter against the Patriots, which means the first quarter could definitely be worth watching in this game.
Titans at Ravens (7:30 p.m. ET, NFL+)

Can Treylon Burks replace AJ Brown? The Titans have a completely revamped receiving group this year, and if it's going to be successful, they're going to need a big season from Burks, their first-round pick from April. Burks doesn't have to be as good as Brown, but the Titans need him to show some sort of spark, if only so the receivers can take at least a little bit of pressure off of Derrick Henry this year.
Can the Ravens keep their NFL-record 20-game preseason winning streak alive? The Ravens haven't lost a preseason game since 2015 and they'll be gunning to keep that record alive tonight. Basically, the Ravens are the only team worth betting on in preseason football. Even though Lamar Jackson likely won't be playing, the Ravens still have Tyler Huntley, who is a very capable backup. One reason the Ravens do so well in the preseason is because John Harbaugh actually wants to win, which can't be said about every other coach in the NFL when it comes to preseason games.
We'll go over the full preseason schedule for the weekend in tomorrow's newsletter, but if you want to check it out right now, you can do that by clicking here.

4. Patriots running back James White surprisingly announces retirement
After eight seasons in the NFL, White has decided to hang up his cleats for good. The running back announced his retirement on Thursday in a shocking move that came less than seven hours before the Patriots were set to kick off their first game of the preseason.

White made the announcement on social media. The running back released a lengthy statement on Twitter. "It has been an honor to represent my family, my teammates and the people of New England as a Patriot!" White said in a statement. "Thank you to Mr. Kraft, Coach Belichick, and the entire Patriots organization for giving me the opportunity to live out my childhood dream. To be able to play my entire career for one franchise, in front of the best fans in the NFL, has been a tremendous blessing and honor." You can read the entire statement by clicking here.
White was arguably the MVP of Super Bowl LI. The running back was the Patriots hero in Super Bowl LI, playing a huge part in their comeback win over the Falcons. Not only did he total 139 yards (110 receiving and 29 rushing), but he also scored three touchdowns, including the game-winner in overtime. Besides that TD, White also scored on a one-yard run with less than a minute to play that tied the game at 28. The running back also caught a five-yard touchdown in the third quarter that cut the Falcons' lead down to 28-9.
His retirement ends a very successful career. White ended up in New England after the Patriots made him a fourth-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. During his eight seasons with the team, he ended up winning three Super Bowl rings. He also played a pretty big role in New England's postseason success with at least four receptions in five different playoff games.
White finishes his career with 1,278 yards and 11 touchdowns to go along with 3,278 yards and 25 touchdowns through the air.

5. NFL expected to add a Black Friday game as soon as 2023

When it comes to the sports calendar, the NFL already owns Thanksgiving. Now the league is going to try to own the day after Thanksgiving. According to the Sports Business Journal, the NFL will soon be adding a Black Friday game to the schedule, and the game could be added as soon as the 2023 season.

Here's what we know:

Amazon would get the game. The tech company is paying A LOT of money to exclusively air "Thursday Night Football," but they don't get any of the Thanksgiving games, which will air on CBS, Fox and NBC. With Amazon being the odd man out on Thanksgiving, that left them without a game that week, which opened the door for a Black Friday game. Black Friday is one of Amazon's biggest days of the year, and if just a small percentage of the people shopping on their website that day end up watching the game, that could lead to huge numbers for the NFL.
Why the NFL is doing this now. According to Peter King of NBC Sports, owners passed a resolution back in March that "gave the NFL permission to schedule two more teams for a second short-week game." Basically, this means that the league has cleared the biggest hurdle for scheduling a game. With the resolution, the NFL is now allowed to add a short-week Friday game to the schedule.
Special rules for Friday games. Under the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, the NFL isn't allowed to televise any games on Friday or Saturday from the second weekend in September thru the second weekend in December. (Those two days have been earmarked for high school and college football.) However, there is a small exception here: Under the current antitrust exemption rules, the NFL is ALLOWED to schedule a Friday game as long as it's over before 6 p.m. local time. This means the NFL will have a lot of leeway when scheduling a game. They could put it at 1 p.m. ET, or if they want more of a primetime audience, they could schedule it for 2:30 p.m. on the West Coast so that it kicks off at 5:30 p.m. ET, which would still allow it to be over before 6 p.m. local time.
Although we don't yet know if Amazon will be getting a Black Friday game in 2023, the game will definitely be coming soon. It's just a matter of whether it will happen in 2023 or 2024.

6. Rapid-fire roundup: Tom Brady's mysterious absence continues
It's been a wild 24 hours in the NFL, and since it's nearly impossible to keep track of everything that happened, I went ahead and put together a roundup for you.

Tom Brady to miss at least 10 days. For the third time in eight days, Tom Brady is not at practice for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and he's not expected to be back anytime soon. Buccaneers coach Todd Bowles announced that Brady will be out until after the team's second preseason game on Aug. 20. That means Brady won't be around for at least the next 10 days. According to the team, this is an excused absence that's related to personal reasons. Over the past eight days, Brady has missed practice three times, with one coming on Aug. 3 (veteran's day off), one on Aug. 5 (excused) and one on Aug. 11. For more on Brady's mysterious absence, be sure to click here.
N'Keal Harry having surgery. The Bears receiver, who sprained his ankle last week, has decided to undergo surgery. The operation means that Harry will be out for at about eight weeks, and it could end up being more depending on how his recovering goes.
Lions give out Matthew Stafford's number. The Lions went one year without giving out Stafford's old number, but that will be changing this season because rookie wide receiver Jameson Williams will be wearing No. 9. According to ESPN, Williams actually reached out to Stafford to make sure he was on board with the rookie's choice.
Frank Gore charged with simple assault. The former NFL running back has been charged with simple assault after an alleged domestic violence incident that occurred last month in Atlantic City. According to court documents obtained by TMZ, Gore "grabbed a naked woman by her hair and dragged her across a hotel room's hallway." For more details on the case, be sure to click here.
Bears kicker not thrilled with field conditions at Soldier Field. The NFL season hasn't even started and the turf at Soldier Field is already falling apart, at least according to Bears kicker Cairo Santos. "I've seen better," Santos told the Chicago Sun-Times. "It's just what we have to deal with. The less of a problem you make it in your mind, it helps you overcome it and just go."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-at-least-10-days-deshaun-watson-update/

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Usually when everyone from all different backgrounds have disagreements with one person it means the one person is in the right, right?

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

A little news about the Browns:

Browns backup QB Brissett moves into Watson's starting spot

TOM WITHERS
Sat, August 13, 2022, 5:16 PM·3 min read

CLEVELAND (AP) — Jacoby Brissett has jumped ahead of Deshaun Watson on Cleveland's depth chart. Maybe for a while.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Brissett will take the majority of snaps with Cleveland's first-team offense starting Sunday, a move necessitated by Watson's pending suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy for sexual misconduct allegations.

Watson, who made his debut with the Browns by starting Friday's exhibition win over Jacksonville, has been the No. 1 quarterback throughout training camp.

But he's going to miss at least the first six regular-season games — and potentially more — so the Browns need to get Brissett ready for the Sept. 11 opener at Carolina.

“That has been the plan really from the beginning is just to at some point let Jacoby get the majority of them, still work Deshaun, still work Josh Dobbs and still work Josh Rosen,” Stefanski said, referring to Cleveland's four QBs during a Zoom call with reporters.

Watson's situation remains in flux.

His six-game suspension handed down by independent arbiter Sue L. Robinson was appealed by the NFL and is being decided by Peter C. Harvey, a former New Jersey Attorney General appointed by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Harvey's ruling could come at any time and there's still the possibility Watson and the league could agree to a settlement.

On Thursday, a person familiar with Watson's defense told the AP the three-time Pro Bowler would accept an eight-game suspension and $5 million fine. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

Before Friday's game, Watson's first in nearly 600 days, he apologized for the first time since two dozen women filed lawsuits against him alleging sexual harassment and assault during massage therapy sessions while he played for Houston.

“I’m truly sorry to all of the women that I have impacted,” Watson said.

In her ruling, Robinson noted Watson's lack of remorse played a factor in her decision to suspend him.

Stefanski said the apology was a good step for Watson.

“I just think Deshaun has been very committed to being the best version of himself,” Stefanski said. “That is off the field and that is on the field, obviously when he is in this building, but more so I do think he wants to learn and grow as a person. That is important.”

In the meantime, the Browns need to get ready for the season.

Brissett was signed in March by the Browns, who viewed him as a perfect plug-in while Watson is sidelined. The 29-year-old Brissett has made 37 career starts and been thrown into unique situations, including in 2019 when he became Indianapolis' starter following Andrew Luck's stunning retirement.

The Browns didn't play Brissett against the Jaguars to avoid the risk of an injury and to get Watson back into the flow of a game. Now, it's time for Brissett to get more time with Cleveland's starters.

Stefanski has been pleased with the team's plan to this point.

“Jacoby has gotten a lot of reps to date. I go back to the nine-week offseason program and the weeks we have been together, he has gotten a ton of reps with the ones and with the twos,” he said. "Even the way we structure our routes versus air and individual period, he has gotten a lot of reps with the quote-unquote ones and the twos.

"He will keep on that same process and making sure he is running the show when he is in there. He does a nice job in the quarterback meeting room with those guys, so I just think this is also the natural progression for him moving forward.”

The Browns will practice twice this week against the Philadelphia Eagles before hosting them next Sunday in their first home exhibition.

https://news.yahoo.com/browns-backup-qb-brissett-moves-211631902.html

O
Legend
Legend
O
Tough spot for the Browns because it sounded like DW could use those reps before his return too.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Giving Brissett all the first team reps is the only logical move going forward. Even if Watson was only going to miss six games then Brissett should be getting all the reps.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard