#1959596 07/31/22 05:48 PM
A
AZBrown Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
For all the Star Trek TOS fans (like me):

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/star-trek-actress-nichelle-nichols-dead-89

Nichols was a very special actor and a very special part of the Star Trek universe.

Uhura was adept at hand-to-hand combat and spoke hundreds of languages.

Only a few of the original cast are still alive.

RIP.

Legend
Legend
RIP Ms Nichols. You were a true trailblazer and inspiration to many.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
She gave little Black kids in the 60's permission to dream. Her role on that show was as groundbreaking as Sidney Poitier's roles on the big screen. And she was in our homes every week.

Strong character on equal par with the boys on the bridge, and still in touch with her African roots. It really was a remarkable role at the perfect time.

I heard that Ms. Nichols wanted to quit the role after the first season, but was talked out of it by none other than Dr. King. Turns out, he as a huge fan of the show, and impressed upon her how important Lt. Uhura's character was on the tv landscape.

Back when we were all adolescents, me & the neighborbros used to refer to her as "Lt. Oooh-Hooo."

Classy lady.

Oooh-hooo, indeed (she was 57 when she filmed this scene):

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Great actress and great show.

R.I.P. Nichelle.

More than anything, I'll never forget the "kiss heard 'round the galaxy".

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think the important part of her character was when I first saw the show I wondered who was that black lady? After a while, she wasn't so much a black lady, she was just an important part of the show. You didn't really note that she was "black" any longer. Very important.

Unlike Clem, who got the Oooh-Hooo vibe, I didn't have that so much, but I did have that Oooh-la-la vibe for Diahann Carroll, another important actress at the time.

Both played important roles in that they were both in important mainstream roles and not portraying some maid or "mammy" talking like it was 1878.

R.I.P. Nichelle. You made a difference in the minds of millions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
She made her role iconic. Black and female in prime time sci-fi broke some molds. Attractive, smart (see Fate above), she grew her character. Roddenberry examined a lot of societal issues; prejudice and stereotypes were a small part. Her character was a stroke of genius IMO. And the best science fiction still deals with the human elements within its frameworks.

RIP. One to beam up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Nichelle Nichols Passes On

Link Copied to Clipboard