Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Well, this will be dragged and dragged out now … even more.

Watson will probably play to start the year … and then be done for the rest of it IMO

It could drag in to next year. The though may be they want the 6 games suspended at a higher pay rate.

Also, the appeal may be written as such that the 6 games needs to include a fine. At Watsons reported salary of $1,000,000 this year, 6 games out of 17 is $58823 per game. That is around $353,000 total.

The NFL may not feel he is being penalized enough in that regard, and I can't say I disagree from a fairness standpoint compared to other veteran players. I am not really advocating one way or the other. I am just thinking out loud as to what the NFL might be thinking.

A fix to all of this is to possibly set fine amounts, or a percentage of salary so there is some continuity to penalty. I mean, games are fines for players. Sitting out games doesn't really impact a player, it impacts teams and fans. Losing the game check is what impacts players.

Give me a weelk and I could have this crap fixed if I had the magic wand.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Legend
Legend
R
If I were Watson I'd retire.

And Clowney would like a do over.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
If I were Watson I'd retire.

And Clowney would like a do over.

What would that do? Or is that just a statement?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
If speculating on the odds of Watson's lawsuit I'd say the findings of the Judge will give them some ammunition for a stronger punishment. Maybe Watson calls for "the owners" treatments, maybe the NFL responds by bringing the treatment of all the players. We will see sadly.

I don't think "ammunition" has anything to do with it.

Goodell can literally decide on any punishment he wants -- for any reason. No judge will even look at the facts of the punishment, because the CBA clearly states that he is allowed to do whatever he wants at this stage.

Watson cannot "call" for anything -- no judge will even let him argue the details of the case, they don't matter anymore.

The only thing the NFLPA could do is literally go on strike -- but I doubt they do that over the suspension of a player that an independent judge has determined to be a sexual predator.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Like it or not, the NFLPA will probably use the race card. Owners (white guys) and other similar cases (Big Ben) are treated one way and the black players (Watson, Hopkins, Ridley, etc) are treated much more severely.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So.... Watson plays the first 6 games and gets suspended for the season and we go 6-10

That would be so Browns

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
1 member likes this: Dawg Citizen
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I am not sure what the NFLPA was thinking in giving Goodell the trump card. The Judge is useless especially if Goodell has his mind already set on what he wants. He just went through the motions, sitting back smoking a cigar, knowing he is going to get what he wants anyways.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Exactly.

The NFLPA: Great news, we finally got the NFL to agree to a third party arbiter for disciplinary rulings!

The NFL:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3 members like this: Rishuz, FATE, mgh888
Legend
Legend
Our season is basically over at this point .. NFL holds the leverage it appears. The NFLPA gets played like a fiddle every CBA negotiation.

Any suspension over 6 games is probably too much for us to overcome anyways … I’d prefer him just take the full year and then we can retain another year of control of his contract

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It I were Watson, I would sue the NFL for racial discrimination. The owners are supposedly held to a higher standard. White owners commit acts as egregious (kraft) if not more so (snyder) and get significantly less punishment. But Watson is getting treated differently and much more harshly because he is black.

Not saying that that is what is transpiring. I personally think that the owners aren't getting punished because they are rogers cronies. But I don't see how the NFL can show that there is no racial motivation to their actions.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by DaveyD
I am not sure what the NFLPA was thinking in giving Goodell the trump card. The Judge is useless especially if Goodell has his mind already set on what he wants. He just went through the motions, sitting back smoking a cigar, knowing he is going to get what he wants anyways.

I think that is what the NFLPA was counting on, or at least had that factored in to things. That will give them a reason to go to court.

I don't think the NFL just hammering the Dolphins was a coincidence. The NFL wants to have something on their side.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea
People bringing up the Ezekiel Elliot situation are missing the fact that it occurred under the old CBA. The new CBA has corrected the ambiguities, and is extremely clear about the fact that Goodell (or somebody he chooses) can determine any punishment they want.

Sure, Watson can sue - but any reasonable judge would toss out that suit in a day -- because there is already a bargaining agreement in place, and it is extremely clear.

I am not arguing, but I am not positive that is a good take. The reason why is that the NFLPA has lost every lawsuit they have taken to the Federal Courts. Brady, Zeke, and I think Peterson. The reason they lost was because of language. This is why the NFLPA wanted a change in the latest CBA. Now, they have the ability to argue that the league's Disciplinary Officer has been ignored and they can use the language in her ruling to combat what the NFL is doing. In the past, they did not have that option. I hope that makes sense and I feel I might not be explaining it adequately, but I have witnessed this discussion. Dan Graziano is a really good source when it comes to interpreting legalese.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don’t like being right in this case but I felt strongly the NFL would appeal the 6 game ruling. And like I said, I’m not a conspiracy guy but going light with the original ruling very conveniently allows the NFL to swoop in and be the good guy. PR chess.

I’m still of the feeling that a negotiated settlement is likely. Something in the neighborhood of of 8-12 games and several million dollars. We’ll see. He’ll play this year but the season may slip away. If Brissett managed 5-5 or even 6-4 there’s no guarantee that Deshawn isn’t rusty when he gets back.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
So, now the question is what are the Browns going to do about the Watson situation?

Here's a few of questions that I have:

1) According to Judge Robinson, Watson has repeatedly lied about his interactions with the women. The Browns have said they did their due diligence when investigating Watson. Did Watson lie to the Browns or have the Browns known all this time that Watson has been lying during his depositions, police interviews, and the hearings committing perjury and obstructing justice?

2) According to Judge Robinson, Watson was predatory, and his behavior was based on a sexual benefit rather than a massage. Watson's actions were deemed egregious and predatory. Did the Browns know this through their investigation or did Watson lie to the Browns about his intent during his activities?

3) Robinson rejected Watson’s denials of wrongdoing and considered his “lack of expressed remorse” to be an aggravating factor. Do the Browns now stand behind Watson after it's been published that not only has he lied but has shown no remorse for his actions or did the Browns already know that Watson was lying thus enabling him?

4) Judge Robinson found sufficient circumstantial evidence to support the NFL’s contention not only that penile contact occurred, but that Mr. Watson was aware that contact probably would occur, and that Mr. Watson had a sexual purpose – not just a therapeutic purpose – in making these arrangements with these particular therapists. Did the Browns know this through their investigation or did Watson lie to them?

5) Are the Browns going to void the contract due to the false information given them by Watson or do they keep Watson under contract making it look like they have enabled Watson's falsities? Afterall, Judge Robinson stated in her report that Watson has paid "restitution." The definition of restitution is - recompense for injury or loss. Being that Judge Robinson is a former judge, I find her language use candid since a lot of civil lawsuits end up in a settlement agreement. The settlement keeps both parties from spending resources to have a large trial. With a settlement, one party agrees to complete an action or pay a certain amount in exchange for the other party to stop the legal proceedings. Paying restitution denotes quilt and paying for committing injury or loss, not a stoppage of legal action.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The NFL is appealing Watson's suspension. Goodell wants it to be for 1 year!

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Appeals: Appeals must commence within 10 days of receipt of the appeal. So, the NFL's appeal of Watson's suspension must commence by August 13th.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
None of us will really know the answers to your 1-4 questions. What we do know is the Browns put themselves right in the middle of a big mess!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I felt like the NFL would appeal also.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
The NFL is appealing Watson's suspension. Goodell wants it to be for 1 year!

Goodell wants it to be indefinite with a minimum of 1 year

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope black America unites and screams for justice. Big Ben gets 4 games for rape charges. The NFL wants an indefinite suspension for the black dude for allegations that are far below rape. The white owners get off, but the black qb does not. Being born into wealth provides protection and privilege. Working your way up due to hard work and your talents if you are black doesn't afford you a damn thing other than we can knock you down because you don't belong.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I hope black America unites and screams for justice. Big Ben gets 4 games for rape charges. The NFL wants an indefinite suspension for the black dude for allegations that are far below rape. The white owners get off, but the black qb does not. Being born into wealth provides protection and privilege. Working your way up due to hard work and your talents if you are black doesn't afford you a damn thing other than we can knock you down because you don't belong.

This is pandering and race hustling at its worst.

2 members like this: PitDAWG, mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dave

Allow me to repeat an earlier quote:

Shouting people down and trying to silence their opinions because you don't agree with them doesn't seem in keeping with the board's purpose.

1 member likes this: Clown Hunter
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
May I ask how the NFL can lose their own appeal?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

D
Legend
Legend
D

Allow me to repeat an earlier quote:

Shouting people down and trying to silence their opinions because you don't agree with them doesn't seem in keeping with the board's purpose.

Who has shouted anyone down here, other than yourself? I only pointed out your blatant and cynical attempt to make this a race issue. Despicable.

2 members like this: PitDAWG, mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
I apologize for expressing my "despicable" opinion, sir.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This was all pretty predictable. Did anyone really think Goodell was going to let the opportunity to insert himself into this situation pass him by? Especially when things didn’t go the way he wanted?

C
Legend
Legend
C
The NFL has Watson by the balls. He should have brought a bigger towel.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by cfrs15
This was all pretty predictable. Did anyone really think Goodell was going to let the opportunity to insert himself into this situation pass him by? Especially when things didn’t go the way he wanted?

I thought he might appeal. In fact, I assumed he would given public opinion and his history of penalizing blacks way more harshly than whites, not to mention letting owners go off w/out any punishment for worse allegations. On the other hand, I thought they might let the female Disciplinary Officer at least rule one case w/out them overruling her.

So, I really didn't know. But no, I can't say I am surprised that once again the NFL isn't interested in equity.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Were you cool w/the white boy Farve sending pictures of his junk w/no towel to another woman?

M
Legend
Legend
M

Dave - everyone can see you expressed an opinion and didn't try to shout someone down. There seems to be only one poster doing that at the moment.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V

Were you good w/the old white man Kraft frequenting an establishment of scantily clad Asian women who could not speak English? Were you cool w/him not even thinking about the illegal sex trade?

He's white. He's old. He comes from money. He must be legit.

Watson is black. He was poor. He doesn't belong.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Who exactly will hear the appeal? Honest question.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Were you good w/the old white man Kraft frequenting an establishment of scantily clad Asian women who could not speak English? Were you cool w/him not even thinking about the illegal sex trade?

He's white. He's old. He comes from money. He must be legit.

Watson is black. He was poor. He doesn't belong.

Your deflection and willingness to enable a sexual misconduct predator is never ending.

Your lashing out and trying to shout down anyone with a different perspective than your own is at an all time high.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Well, this is a fun twist. I truly didn't believe the NFL would appeal.
Grab some popcorn folks, this is good theater

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Who exactly will hear the appeal? Honest question.

Rodger Goodell or his appointed designee.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Well isn’t that nice.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Were you cool w/the white boy Farve sending pictures of his junk w/no towel to another woman?

No.

Tons of things have also changed since Favre’s dong shots in 2010. Literally the entire culture has turned against people like Favre and Watson.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Well, this is a fun twist. I truly didn't believe the NFL would appeal.
Grab some popcorn folks, this is good theater

Frankly, I just wish it would conclude one way or the other.

1 member likes this: Jester
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum watson-suspended-6-games 2

Link Copied to Clipboard