Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Imo This is a disgrace to the tradition of the game and a disrespect to the sports world and soccer as a whole.

Soccer traditionally has allowed only 3 players to sub in for a player leaving during the course of a whole match, and if injuries occur beyond that then the club just plays a man down.
They let 5 because of Covid but went back, but now they are going back again.
I'm not sure yet if it's 5 substituions or 5 players on only 3 occurances but either way
Changing the rule means what you are watching is not Soccer.
What they are playing is not Soccer it's some b--izaton of the game.

It would be about as crucial as if football changed the number of points a touchdown is in relation to a field goal,

Much of the allure of soccer as a game to watch was caught up in the fact that they only allowed 3 substitutions for a whole game.
It gave each substitution so much weight of importance in strategy.

Any change in the number of substituions in soccer, in this case from 3 to 5, ...( What will they just let anybody play and endless subs now? ) It Cheapens the game.
It would be as if the NBA would never let a player foul out again by allowing enless fouls before a player fouls out.
It would be as if Baseball added another base and the players had to run 5 bases intead of 4, (counting home plate as a base)

Soccer needs to get back to doing what it does best, and that is not act stupid
but in this case, it's changing the game forever.
There will never be able to be a comparison again from the soccer of all the past and this new, "5 substitution nonsensical game that isn't pure soccer.
To summarize: Soccer Will Allow 5 substituions instead of 3
: this is a fundamental dismantling of the game
: and I know nobody in society will care
But this is the world is losing one more thing to the lack of standards in 2022.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Good. A team shouldn't be rewarded for injuring more than 3 opposing players.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is why I like hockey. It is largely player governed. If a team gets too rough with one of your players, you send out a member of the goon squad to beat the crap out of one of their players. When the "Broad Street Bullies", the Philly Flyers for those who don't know, put Dave Schultz on the ice you knew somebody was going to get hammered.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I always felt the game would be (more) watchable if they allowed more substitutions. Preferably like hockey. More fresh legs might lead to more action. More potential for scoring as players come and go off the field of play.
As it is I find the sport unwatchable. 3 or 5, it won’t change the snails pace the game is played at currently. So… still won’t draw my attention.

To each their own.

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
The rule change is not about protecting injured players as most players in soccer don't get as many injuries as football players. The fouls are for playing a player, (trying to kick/push the player vs. trying to go after the ball), instead of playing the ball, 2 yellow cards kick a player out of the game so 5 subs vs. 3 subs does not stop injuries.

What this rule change does is it changes the strategy of changing the make-up of type of players on the field. (think offense or defense)
In the past, traditionally, if a team has a lead and it gets to the 3/4 ish point of the match, that team may take out a forward, an offensive player and replace them with a defender, to help stop the other team motivated to tie the game up as the time is running out.

And, there is also the strategy of at what point in the timeframe of the game do you insert your new players, because these 3 players coming off the bench, if used, often/always have fresh legs, meaning they haven't been running back and forth for the previous part of the match and therefore move around faster than the tired players, and impact the game significantly, usually.

Therefore, changing to 5 substituions from 3, for the game total, is going to redefine what the game of soccer becomes, (It cheapens things by giving less weight to the decision to make a substitution)
at the expense of what it has always been, and it won't be the same game.

This is kind of like adding a designated hitter to the national league in baseball. It will tear at the fabric of what soccer is and how it is played as a game, and having no standards against that means, what do you have?
Bowling with I3 pins? What do you have? It is not soccer. It is not soccer as it should be. It is something else, it will become something else.
-------------

It would be like adding a 5th down in football, or,
or, It would be like allowing pass interference penalties to go to the I yard line and be 50 yard penalties instead of I5 yards.
But moreso:
It's like adding a 5th down in football, an extra chess move, more pieces to move backwards in checkers, bicycle races with motors attached, that sort of thing.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Soccer will allow 5 substituions

Link Copied to Clipboard