Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
So say the suspension ends at six weeks. Is Watson allowed to practice if it's less than a year? If not, how many weeks of practice do you give him before putting him back on the field? I feel that if he can not practice, he will need at least a couple of weeks to be dropping those dimes in games.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/13/22 09:23 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
It will probably be more than 6 games, but for the purpose of providing an example.......here is how I believe it works.

Watson could practice and play throughout the preseason.

Watson would be away from the team's facilities through the first 3 weeks. He would be eligible to return to the facility and practice after week 3. He would be able to practice for weeks 4-6 and start game 7.

The suspended player can return to the team to practice and use the facilities after the halfway point of the suspension. So say it is 10 games. Watson would be available during preseason. He would be away from the team through week 5. He could return to the facilities after week 5 and play in game 11.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
To add to that:

If it’s an indefinite suspension Watson is gone and can’t come back until the league tells him he can come back. No more preseason or practice reps. No early return to knock the rust off.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes.

And not to hijack the thread, but I think it might be noteworthy that the NFL didn't announce the decision by Harvey on Thursday or Friday and that Watson issued an apology of sorts. That makes me think that a settlement might be forthcoming. I could be wrong, but it makes some sense.

Frankly, I just want closure because I'm sick of reading, hearing, and talking about it. It will be nice to get back to talking about football.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Frankly, I just want closure because I'm sick of reading, hearing, and talking about it. It will be nice to get back to talking about football.

I sure agree with this comment, vers...set the punishment, serve the punishment and take care of the off the field stuff and we will seeya whenever you get back on the field...go Browns..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
One of the benefits of having a set suspension is the fact that he can come back and practice halfway through. At this point just set the 8 or 10 games or whatever and let us focus on getting Brissett ready

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Poor Sue Robinson, undermined by the league that brought her in for her judicial experience.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Giving Brissett all the first team reps is the only logical move going forward. Even if Watson was only going to miss six games then Brissett should be getting all the reps.

I agree. Even if Watson's suspension stays at 6 games. Once Watsons comes back, he doesn't have to be inserted as the starter for a few games. It might not be ideal, but a QB rotation of sorts could be used.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Giving Brissett all the first team reps is the only logical move going forward. Even if Watson was only going to miss six games then Brissett should be getting all the reps.

I agree. Even if Watson's suspension stays at 6 games. Once Watsons comes back, he doesn't have to be inserted as the starter for a few games. It might not be ideal, but a QB rotation of sorts could be used.

I think Watson starts right away if it stays at 6 games. Remember, he would return to practice after week 3 and that would give him weeks 4-6 to get reps in practice.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Robinson was jointly hired by the league and the NFLPA. No one was undermined. The appeal was always a possibility and it seems like the judge wanted her ruling to be appealed based on her findings.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I think Watson starts right away if it stays at 6 games. Remember, he would return to practice after week 3 and that would give him weeks 4-6 to get reps in practice.

There is an issue with Watson practicing during the suspension, time is limited and each week the practices are geared toward the upcoming opponent. Will the Browns really want to sacrifice reps to the starter over a 3, 4, 5, 6 or longer week period which would clearly have an effect on winning or losing? The biggest complaint that shows up when the backup is forced into action is the lack of reps with the 1st team due to game planning. Would it be in the Browns best interest to split reps for something that won't occur most likely for a month or more. If the Browns do this, it would basically be cashing in on the season because the ultimate loser would be Brissett or whomever the starter might be. How much negative feedback, not to mention team attitude, would rear its ugly head if the Browns are losing while the starter is splitting valuable reps with a player that cannot even play?

Likewise, what do the Browns do if they are winning with Brissett? If the Browns are let's say 7-3 or 9-4, do they bench the QB that got them to that level for a player that hasn't played a real snap in over 500 days? I get that Watson is a better player, but would he really be the better guy after sitting for so long and the backup doing his job at a top level? There's a lot more that is going to rear its ugly head as the weeks go on and on. What those issues are going to be, no one knows for sure but going card blanche with an attitude as to what is going to happen with Watson is premature at best. Just my opinion.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
If Watson can play, he starts.

T
Legend
Legend
T
" Frankly I just want closure" ?

Frankly I'm trying to reside my beliefs that the Browns future lies probably in the performances of Josh Dobbs, and whomever comes out of college in.. 4 years?
I think there will probably be a settlement that gives the Browns their contract back, but not their draft picks.
Deshaun- will probably never play in the NFL again
Dobbs- will proabably overtake Jacoby for the starter position,
and the Browns will be right back in uarterback jersey names list-ville.
Who knows, just a guess.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
After Friday night, is that referring to his eligibility or his performance?

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/14/22 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V

Jeremy Fowler was on Get Up and he said that the Browns plan on starting Watson in week 7 if the 6-game suspension stands because they would have 3 weeks to get him ready. I don't think the Browns really care about fans on a message board who will rear their ugly heads no matter what the Browns and/or Watson do. LOL

M
Legend
Legend
M

100%

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Usually when everyone from all different backgrounds have disagreements with one person it means the one person is in the right, right?

It means some people can think rationally without being a homer on a board full of homers.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Poor Sue Robinson, undermined by the league that brought her in for her judicial experience.

It's what is known as the contractually agreed upon process.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

In theory. I would hope we would still be trying to win the games while he is getting reps.

If Brissett is playing poorly, Watson starts out of the gate. If the Browns are winning and Brissett is playing well, I am not so sure Watson starts right away.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was thinking about that.

What if the Browns are 6-0, averaging 42 points/game, and Brissett has an average 120 QBR?
Unlikely? Yes
Impossible? no

If this is the case, how do you replace Brissett?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Jester
I was thinking about that.

What if the Browns are 6-0, averaging 42 points/game, and Brissett has an average 120 QBR?
Unlikely? Yes
Impossible? no

If this is the case, how do you replace Brissett?

Impossible? Yes.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Trade him for a #2 and 3 and pay half his salary!!!!!!!

R
Legend
Legend
R
It's going to be a rough season. Everyone should strap up for that reality.

M
Legend
Legend
M
This is where I am at and my enthusiasm for this point of the off-season is at an all time low. Defense might be good enough to squeak into the playoffs despite all the challenges. But we need a good deal of luck and health.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Do you think the record will be worse than last year?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Joel Bitonio wonders whether JC Tretter is being blackballed for his stance on player safety

Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2022, 1:16 PM EDT
link

Colin Kaepernick may have some company.

Free-agent center JC Tretter, who also happens to be the NFL Players Association’s president, remains available, in the middle of August. Former Browns teammate Joel Bitonio suggests that Tretter’s role as a vocal advocate for player safety could be contributing to his ongoing unemployment.

“When you have a guy that’s top-five, top-10 at center in the league and he’s not on a roster, you know, and he’s the NFLPA president and maybe some of the owners don’t appreciate what he brings to the table on certain topics when he’s trying to protect player safety and things of that nature, it seems a little suspicious to me,” Bitonio said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “But, again, I don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors. I don’t know what his conversations have been with teams and stuff, but just from an outside perspective usually players that are close to the top of their game get picked up. Teams want to win in this league. So it’s an interesting topic, for sure.”

Teams want to win in this league. That was the excuse the Commissioner repeatedly gave for teams not signing Kaepernick. Teams want to win, so they would never fail to pursue a player who can help them win. (Unless they’re tanking, of course.)

The Browns cut Tretter earlier this year, saving more than $8.235 million in cap space. The Browns also lost center Nick Harris for the season on Friday night. The Bucs previously lost center Ryan Jensen, possibly for the year. There has been no serious suggestion that either team will sign Tretter.

None of this has stopped Tretter from doing his job for the NFL’s players. On Saturday, Tretter sounded off on the condition of the playing surface at Soldier Field.

A fourth-round pick in 2013, Tretter spent four years with the Packers and five with the Browns. He ranked 89th on the Pro Football Focus list of the top 101 players of 2021.

Would it be crazy to think that owners are shying away from Tretter because he has become an agitator to the oligarchs? Nope. That’s another reason why high-profile (and highly-compensated) quarterbacks should be more involved in union leadership. They’re far less likely to be blackballed, and they’re far more likely to take command of the rank and file if/when a line must be drawn in the sand — even if it means a work stoppage.

For now, it makes sense to pay attention to what happens with Tretter. If the goal is to keep him out of the league because he helps run the union, ignoring it makes it easier for the owners to pull it off.

1 member likes this: GMdawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Joel Bitonio wonders whether JC Tretter is being blackballed for his stance on player safety

I have brought this up multiple times on this board. The guy's PFF numbers are outstanding. Unless he wants to not have to deal w/TC like cfrs suggested, I think it's entirely possible that the NFL blackballing him. That's not stated as a fact, but it is worth contemplating.

I know one thing............the NFL doesn't care about player safety, women, or anything else that doesn't make them money. If they can use it to make money, they will. But, it's not because they really care about people.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We're going to find out how much they acre about women here very soon.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
This is great, one of our best players openly wondering if the Browns have "blackballed Tretter"..this after losing Nick Harris to a knee injury on the second play of the Jacksonville preseason game.

Make no mistake about it, Bitonio is talking directly to then Browns front office, Haslam, Depodesta and Andrew Berry...do they care enough about the team and winning to do the obvious..?

Watch some team like the rams, patriots or steelers .. teams that put winning first...watch one of those teams scoop Tretter up and defy those teams and the league that is attempting to blackball Tretter.

The Browns have the top need for Tretter...will the Browns owner and his Harvard boys put winning first..?

Last edited by mac; 08/14/22 02:32 PM.

Legend
Legend
Now you want these girls shipped off to work in the fields?

Seems like a much weirder perversion that Watson's.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P
Where and how dd you make up that stupid BS?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Make no mistake about it, Bitonio is talking directly to then Browns front office, Haslam, Depodesta and Andrew Berry...do they care enough about the team and winning to do then obvious..?

I disagree. I think he is referencing the entire league. Teams make roster moves based on salary and age all the time. However, it seems odd that no one has picked Tretter up.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by FATE
Now you want these girls shipped off to work in the fields?

Seems like a much weirder perversion that Watson's.

I had to quote that. This was great.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by mac
This is great, one of our best players openly wondering if the Browns have "blackballed Tretter"..this after losing Nick Harris to a knee injury on the second play of the Jacksonville preseason game.

Make no mistake about it, Bitonio is talking directly to then Browns front office, Haslam, Depodesta and Andrew Berry...do they care enough about the team and winning to do the obvious..?

Watch some team like the rams, patriots or steelers .. teams that put winning first...watch one of those teams scoop Tretter up and defy those teams and the league that is attempting to blackball Tretter.

The Browns have the top need for Tretter...will the Browns owner and his Harvard boys put winning first..?

The Browns did put winning first by trading for Watson, and you have not been on board with that move.

The Steelers put winning first by standing by Pig Pen, and you appear to give them an atta boy for that.

This is what happens when you mix moral high ground with fanaticism. You often paint yourself into a corner with a bunch of double talk.

2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm being just as tough on watson than I was ben. Sadly many people don't realize the world has changed and while it has been far too late, people are actually taking the sexual abuse of women far more seriously now and understand it has not been dealt with near harshly enough with in the past. I thought that ben wasn't punished nearly enough back then. I feel exactly the same about the 6 games of watson as it stands now.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

The Browns did put winning first by trading for Watson, and you have not been on board with that move.

The Steelers put winning first by standing by Pig Pen, and you appear to give them an atta boy for that.

This is what happens when you mix moral high ground with fanaticism. You often paint yourself into a corner with a bunch of double talk.

rish...sweeping your manure to the side...the bottom line is, will the Harvard Boys and their fearless leader do what is best for the Browns to "WIN NOW" and fix the situation facing them by signing Tretter...or will they push "winning now" down their list preferring to "blackball Tretter" and go with a career backup at center while kicking Tretter to the curb because he is a "UNION REP"...

Rish..what say you..? WINNING FIRST ? or NFL anti-union politics the first priority of Haslam and his Harvard Boys.

vers..and look at you, trying to play both sides...lol... rofl

Last edited by mac; 08/14/22 03:02 PM.

Legend
Legend

I’ll jump in here .. if Watson doesn’t play I can’t see us getting to 7 wins. AFC and our division is tough

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Dodgeball must be your favorite movie ...Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge.

To answer your question, my guess would be "no, they won't". This isn't the Rams' front office. These guys are playing the long game. They would rather lose short-term for long-term stability and getting ten, fifteen, twenty cracks at a super bowl than one. I don't think I agree with that philosophy for a reason I stated earlier...I believe the odds of going all in and winning one super bowl over twenty years is greater than winning more than one by playing the long game, IMO. Although both have their merits and risks. The Rams were a dropped interception away from not making it into to the Super Bowl last year so it could have all blown up.

Me personally, I would go all in for this year if I were the FO. That means Jimmy G and Tretter.

R
Legend
Legend
R

I think the Browns can make the playoffs with average QB play if the following two things happen -

1. Defense becomes top 5 and the Browns are winning on the backs of their defense.
2. Stefanski really shines as a coach... team is prepared and appears to over perform and out coach the other side.

Absent those two things I think the record will be about the same as last year, but ultimately, I just don't think we make the playoffs.

If I were putting money on it, I don't think there will be many fun Sundays.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I’ll jump in here .. if Watson doesn’t play I can’t see us getting to 7 wins. AFC and our division is tough

D4...I disagree with only 7 wins...

If "STEFANSKI" is anything close to the QB guru he has been advertised to be, between Brissett, Dobbs and Rosen...if he can't mold at least one of our QBs into a legit NFL starting QB, capable of winning 11 or 12 games and making the playoffs...Stefanski should be sent packing.

The trio of QBs playing behind Watson are capable if Stefanski can mold his offense to at least one QBs capability. Show us what you have, Stefanski..!

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard