Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
When things are good around him Baker is good. It’s just when he feels pressure or has to elevate those around him is when he struggles.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
j/c:

Say it ain't so!

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Translation: If Brissett starts out losing the first two, Dobbs will start game 3. I sense a QB carrousel coming for 11 games unless we come out firing on all cylinders. This will be fun to watch.

Legend
Legend
The most important takeaway is that we should just start referring to our Backup QB as "Josh" so we can't be wrong.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: PitDAWG, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Translation: If Brissett starts out losing the first two, Dobbs will start game 3. I sense a QB carrousel coming for 11 games unless we come out firing on all cylinders. This will be fun to watch.
Back to our wheelhouse! That’s Browns football from 99-17 haha. In reality I think we’ll roll with Brissett unless we trade for Jimmy G

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Back to our wheelhouse! That’s Browns football from 99-17 haha. In reality I think we’ll roll with Brissett unless we trade for Jimmy G

Wait! You really believe what he is saying? You are usually way more rational than that.

mgh888 #1963899 08/19/22 04:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Baker is the starter in Carolina

that didn't take long

This seems like more of an indictment of Sam Darnold than anything else.

Without question ... Living in the CLT market, I do hear some of the local sprt radio. Everyone is high on Baker at the moment - it's beyond just competing with Darnold ... but it's also pre-season and a honeymoon period. How he plays will be interesting. The Panthers are universally ranked as a bottom 5 roster in the NFL but they are in a weak division. It'll be quite the comparison for a while I would guess.

Didn't realize you were in the CLT market. You won't have to rely on social media to get the pulse of things. I know a lot of Panther fans as the company I work for is based in Raleigh, so I hear a lot of chatter.

I agree that the Panthers roster is towards the bottom of the league, and they are in a weak division. But in my opinion Tampa owns that division, I do not see anyone else winning it this year. Which means for Carolina the path to the playoffs will be as a wild card, in which case they are competing with a lot of teams not in their division. I get that 4 games are against NO and ATL, but that is out of 17.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
So you think Brissett will be good and I'm not convinced of that yet. This smallest of differences somehow makes me irrational as well as anyone who even partially acknowledges the possibility that what I said is plausible? This is why everybody attacks you.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

The Browns coaching staff is about to be tested....are they capable of developing QB talent..??

Can Stefanski develop a QB..?

We are about to find out just how good this Browns coaching staff is..!!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think New Orleans will be much improved this year - Michael Thomas, Olave and Landry is a pretty damn good WR core when healthy. Seems Kamara will skate on any penalty till next year. But likewise for BM - DJ Moore is probably better than any WR he's ever thrown to. After that it's a bit 'meh' but having that one guy is going to be a big deal and **if** McCaffery stays healthy, that would also be a huge. I don't think I've watched a Panthers game since the Super Bowl - but I may watch a couple games this year.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
New Orleans all predicates on Winston’s ability to limit turnovers IMO

B
Legend
Legend
B

That may not be the translation, but I could see something like that happening. I think there is some pressure on the team to come out of the first 11 games a game up on the record. At least I would guess that behind closed doors that is the minimum goal.

Even when Watson returns I find it hard to think he will be firing on all cylinders. I can already see the vultures circling, waiting for that day. Unless Watson comes out and throws 3TDs and 350 yards they will be picking flesh. Heck, that might not be enough.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Ballpeen #1963964 08/20/22 06:47 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

That may not be the translation, but I could see something like that happening. I think there is some pressure on the team to come out of the first 11 games a game up on the record. At least I would guess that behind closed doors that is the minimum goal.

Even when Watson returns I find it hard to think he will be firing on all cylinders. I can already see the vultures circling, waiting for that day. Unless Watson comes out and throws 3TDs and 350 yards they will be picking flesh. Heck, that might not be enough.

I am not saying this in a hostile way, but I will bet a good amount of money that Brissett will not be benched after game 2 if the current qb room remains the same. No way in the world do I see that happening.

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, oobernoober
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I am not saying this in a hostile way, but I will bet a good amount of money that Brissett will not be benched after game 2 if the current qb room remains the same. No way in the world do I see that happening.

If you were talking directly to me, I don't ever take your comments in a hostile way.

My comments may have been overtated. I could see it, but I don't really expect to see that, nor hope for that. That would create a whole new bag of snakes. It would have to be more than just a loss. It would have to be pretty ugly as well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
wait a minute, already we are making excuses for Watson, I thought that was why we traded for him cause all the excuses for Baker...

sometimes excuses just are facts like they were last year and for Watson also.
He will need about 3 games to get the rust off. AT LEAST.

Our defense will predicate where we will stand in the season to come.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Ballpeen #1963968 08/20/22 07:23 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I just wanted to make sure because I responded to D4 about OCD's claim earlier on. I wasn't saying that I thought "Brissett was good." I was saying that it would be absolutely asinine to bench Brissett for Dobbs or Rosen after just two games. No freaking way!!! Despite what some posters are trying to sell us, you and I both know that our FO and coaching staff are not imbeciles.

Ballpeen #1963969 08/20/22 07:35 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What happened with Jed Wills at practice yesterday..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
eotab #1963970 08/20/22 07:39 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
wait a minute, already we are making excuses for Watson,

Hey tab, I hope you are feeling okay. A question: who is making excuses for Watson? Can you explain what the excuses are so I can address your comment? Thanks.

eotab #1963971 08/20/22 08:02 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by eotab
wait a minute, already we are making excuses for Watson, I thought that was why we traded for him cause all the excuses for Baker...

sometimes excuses just are facts like they were last year and for Watson also.
He will need about 3 games to get the rust off. AT LEAST.

Our defense will predicate where we will stand in the season to come.

jmho

100% Tab.... despite the fake ignorance being feigned. Hope you are doing okay - you are getting lots of good karma from everyone on this board.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mac #1963993 08/20/22 10:26 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
What happened with Jed Wills at practice yesterday..?

From reports, he had penalties and was beaten soundly and then was benched

eotab #1963998 08/20/22 10:42 AM
Legend
Legend
We will need our D who will set the bar for our record this year. I expect brutal.

Hope you are doing well, Eo. Sending good stuff your way this board is! grin Hope today is great & tomorrow is better. Brighter tomorrows, Eo.

Last edited by Bard Dawg; 08/20/22 10:43 AM.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO- the D is vital, but O has to do their share. Cooper's double move was sweet to TD....more to come hopefully. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Ballpeen #1964019 08/20/22 12:45 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O

If you were talking directly to me, I don't ever take your comments in a hostile way.

My comments may have been overtated. I could see it, but I don't really expect to see that, nor hope for that. That would create a whole new bag of snakes. It would have to be more than just a loss. It would have to be pretty ugly as well.

If KS wouldn't bench Baker for Keenum last year, there's no way he's benching JB for Dobbs or Rosen. KS will be tested in that he will need to actually adapt to the strengths of his O (getting the ball into the hands of his RBs and TEs and creative plays for the speedsters vs chucking the ball around).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't know what the CLT market is. Internet doesn't have much for CLT market, or CLT metro either if you +Carolina.
I know about Raleigh, Raleigh-Durham, Columbia, even Charlotte, but can't think of any L and T cities to pair with Charlotte.

If Jed Wills got benched, who did they bench him for? And How bad was the inserted player?
And who was Wills up against when the bad day happened? Was it a group, was it/were it the youngsters? Was it one or two of the Vets?
Was it a constant re-shuffling/disguising of some unknown cover player coming on a blitz? Were they the linebackers?

( I know it freakin means Charlotte... I just think it's a weird/stupid way to abbreviate it, and, wasn't sure if it was a nickname for a more/different ... gen-er-al area instead of just the particular town of Charlotte, a nickname only known to Locals. Google says the CLT market is either farmers markets, or the state of the real estate market. And it's too close to another word, frown (( clutch of course))

Did they Bring back Sheldon Day yet?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
KS will be tested in that he will need to actually adapt to the strengths of his O (getting the ball into the hands of his RBs and TEs and creative plays for the speedsters vs chucking the ball around).

I think Stefanski already proved that in his first year here. He saw what Baker's issues were and developed a scheme that played to his strengths and limited the number of times where his weaknesses would be exposed. Baker did pretty good w/the most time to throw in the league, a dynamic run game, box stacked to stop the run, play action passing, and boots. However, teams adjust over time and the big thing Ds did last year was take away the boots and make Baker beat them from the pocket.

I think Stefanski's scheme for Brissett will be fine. Of course, it will be limited because JB has his issues and limitations, too. Next year will be fun when we have a top-tier qb operating in a very good Stefanski schemed offense.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know what the CLT market is.

Throw, when the idea of bringing NFL football to the Carolinas was first introduced, the team was supposed to be shared by Charlotte and Columbia, SC. They are about 1 hr. 15 min to 1 hr 30 min. apart.

The people of Columbia were miffed when the stadium was built in Charlotte. Also, Columbia is home to the University of South Carolina and the folks down here love their Gamecocks. There are plenty of Panther fans here, but the city as a whole are much more interested in collegiate sports than pro sports.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Newsflash for some of you. Jedrick Willis isn't even the best
LT in the AFC North. Moving him to the opposite side is proving
To be a mistake by this organization.
On top of all he doesn't play up his natural strength
Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. That's him.he just lacks
That primal drive to finish off what's lined up in front
Of him. I know his fan club doesn't want to hear it but
Accurate

C
Legend
Legend
C
Can Brissett find open receivers? If he can we should be fine.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Does Wills have a fan club?

Sorry Vers, that was in response to stripper.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I just wanted to make sure because I responded to D4 about OCD's claim earlier on. I wasn't saying that I thought "Brissett was good." I was saying that it would be absolutely asinine to bench Brissett for Dobbs or Rosen after just two games. No freaking way!!! Despite what some posters are trying to sell us, you and I both know that our FO and coaching staff are not imbeciles.

And that statement I made was less prediction and more expecting things to go horribly wrong for the Browns AS USUAL. After all, the Browns are the Browns.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/20/22 04:20 PM.
cfrs15 #1964046 08/20/22 04:25 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V

I haven't watched enough of JB to speak w/any authority. It appears that he is good in short stretches, for example 2-4 games. However, problems occur over the long term. I think we could have been okay w/a 4 game suspension. Had a chance if Judge Robinson's decision honored. But, I don't feel real good about 11 games. Again, not speaking w/authority. I haven't watched enough of him to be certain.

Rishuz #1964047 08/20/22 04:26 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Does Wills have a fan club?

LOL

O
Legend
Legend
O
KS will be tested in that he will need to actually adapt to the strengths of his O (getting the ball into the hands of his RBs and TEs and creative plays for the speedsters vs chucking the ball around).

I think Stefanski already proved that in his first year here. He saw what Baker's issues were and developed a scheme that played to his strengths and limited the number of times where his weaknesses would be exposed. Baker did pretty good w/the most time to throw in the league, a dynamic run game, box stacked to stop the run, play action passing, and boots. However, teams adjust over time and the big thing Ds did last year was take away the boots and make Baker beat them from the pocket.

I think Stefanski's scheme for Brissett will be fine. Of course, it will be limited because JB has his issues and limitations, too. Next year will be fun when we have a top-tier qb operating in a very good Stefanski schemed offense.

So if we suck ass this year, everybody gets a pass, right? That's kind of what I take from your post. So far I've seen in various posts that KS, JB, DW, and basically the offense as a unit seem to be getting a year to figure it all out since DW is suspended. Yet when I said I thought this would be a wasted year, I got criticized.

V
Legend
Legend
V

And that statement I made was less prediction and more expecting things to go horribly wrong for the Browns AS USUAL. After all, the Browns are the Browns.

Okay, that makes much more sense.

O
Legend
Legend
O
But I do think, especially if Dobbs keeps showing out in preseason games, that a struggling Bissett would make for a quick QB controversy. What I don't see is them sticking with him long without some wins. Ks isn't about to accept this will be an under .500 season without DW for 11 games. Browns will Browns and panic if JB struggles more than a game or three, IMHO.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quick thought
If the Browns have to lean more on the running game
In the 1st 11 to 13 games, wouldn't Njoku have to stay lined
Up tight in order to block. ?
I'm sure he is improved as a run blocker but he wasn't
Given all that $$$$ cause of his ability to be a force in the run schemes

Legend
Legend
If we wouldn't lean heavier on the run game with an injured and underperforming QB last year, what on Earth is making anyone think that we'll magically change and do it this year?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A

I haven't watched enough of JB to speak w/any authority. It appears that he is good in short stretches, for example 2-4 games. However, problems occur over the long term. I think we could have been okay w/a 4 game suspension. Had a chance if Judge Robinson's decision honored. But, I don't feel real good about 11 games. Again, not speaking w/authority. I haven't watched enough of him to be certain.

But yet you've watched enough to tell us all he won't turn the ball over, and won't take sacks?

Here's a little insight: If you can be good in 1 or 2 games, you can be good in all of them.

It does seem like you are already making excuses for the guy you said was better (between brisset and baker) - brisset, the career backup.

Legend
Legend
We have not played a single game with Jacoby Brissett.

Not sure how people seem to be thinking we will play poorly.

Everyone wants to be pretend to be a gypsy fortune teller. Football shows "this team will win these games and end up with this record." mmmm

I wonder who picked the Bengals to be in the Super Bowl. Ya see so much is placed upon last year. That alone is strange given that each team churns about a third of their roster each season. Let alone injuries or how some players play worse and some better.

Throw in the fact that league is based upon parity. You see that every week with how close the games are. How many come down to a few plays or a field goal.

Yet evryone knows the outcome before the season begins? Really.

I will wait to see how we look when we play a real game. Then the next one and so on and so forth.

V
Legend
Legend
V

So if we suck ass this year, everybody gets a pass, right? That's kind of what I take from your post. So far I've seen in various posts that KS, JB, DW, and basically the offense as a unit seem to be getting a year to figure it all out since DW is suspended. Yet when I said I thought this would be a wasted year, I got criticized.

Other than a need to be argumentative, I have no idea how you came to that conclusion after reading my post. Yet, you say nothing when we got steve, arch, Beast and others are calling for everyone to be fired before we even have played a down this year.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Camp News

Link Copied to Clipboard