Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1963237 08/16/22 10:40 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Week 2 of the preseason. What do we want to see this week?

- I think I speak for all of us when I say we need our first offense (whoever that is) to be crisper and more efficient
- We need to see Schwartz do something positive for his sake and ours
- More of Ford … I think if I was Hunt and Johnson I’d have a small thought in my head that I’ll be on a different roster in September if Ford keeps it up
- Pocic to look good. We need him to give us an option at center.
- Our DL to keep their trajectory … I thought Elliott looked improved last week.
- NO INJURIES

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
I want to see the NFL end pre-season games indefinetly, and the media outlets stop covering them. Short of that;
What do we need to see from anybody. They either play well, or the Browns'll find somebody else who will.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I want to see all starters on the sidelines and key depth on the sideline as well.

Give me D'Anthony Bell, Tony Fields II, Nakia Griffin-Stewart and some Isaac Rochell action!

Maybe a dash of Rosen throwing darts to Baldwin.

Legend
Legend
LBs and DTs make plays, in particular against the run... not worried about any other positions on defense.

offensively, just wanna see chains moving.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Injury free, hopeful that our punter keeps punting well.

Less penalties. the coaches should have this cleaned that up since the last game. This has been a problem for a couple of years now, so......

I’d like to see Rosen play well, and get good work from the WRs. Schwartz, DPJ, whomever. Long way to go, I have no big expectations for the second August game.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Btw, Rosen is wearing 19 in camp. Anyone seeing the parallels? Ohio guy, a QB, wearing 19?

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m up late tonight, throwing ideas out, another 13 days off before I go back to work.
I don’t feel good about our quarterback situation right now, so I wanted to shine a light into the dark corner of our QB room.

Anyone else have thoughts about Rosen?

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I’m up late tonight, throwing ideas out, another 13 days off before I go back to work.
I don’t feel good about our quarterback situation right now, so I wanted to shine a light into the dark corner of our QB room.

he’s such an enigma to me. I’ve seen him make some really good plays in his career but then some really poor ones too. I’m not good enough to really judge his arm talent and stuff, but you’d think he would have had a better career than what he has

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I want to see our WR's make some progress including catching the ball! Rosen could be a diamond in the rough. He was highly thought of by many coming out of college. Maybe with better coaching here and no pressure the light will come on. He's got the size and smarts. Also, no injuries!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/Milk in that I don't think our starters and key backups will play.

--Like others, I will be watching Dobbs and Rosen closely.

--I'll watch our backup center.

--I'll watch the DL closely.

--I'll look for backups who look good on Special teams.

Legend
Legend
Anthony Schwartz catching balls thrown to him

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by lampdogg

I try not to think about it too much. But I think there's a good chance he'll beat out Dobbs for the #2. And I'm not certain he wouldn't be an acceptable relief if things go south with Brissett. None of this is saying much.

As far as what I want to see in the game - Easop Winston with a PR for a touchdown.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll just get the usual out of the way....

No injuries.

I'm paying extra attention to the Dline. I'm worried our extremely talented defense's Achilles heel will be getting run on, which is problematic with us being in the division we are in.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Brissett 350 yds, 4tds, 0 int, 1 rushing td.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I'll just get the usual out of the way....

No injuries.

I'm paying extra attention to the Dline. I'm worried our extremely talented defense's Achilles heel will be getting run on, which is problematic with us being in the division we are in.

And with light linebackers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see Togiai step up

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe it was in game three of the preseason before it was cut to three games that we saw most of the starters playing for a while. Now that there are only three preseason games will that translate to game two?

If your opponent is playing their starters it makes sense to play your starters against them. If not it accomplishes nothing to play your starters against their backups. You learn nothing about how well your starters are executing when they're playing against sub par talent.

It's also naive to think you're actually learning much when your backups and rookies are playing against other backups and rookies. It tells you nothing about how they will or would perform against NFL starters. It does help point to the strong and weak suits in their game and give some evidence of potential moving forward.

It's like trying to say a 7th round rookie could be moved to a different position based on him playing against players who won't even be on an NFL roster in a week or two. I mean it's a fun exercise to play but it's basically meaningless.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good points.

I don't know how it will translate. Your common sense above would dictate we will see plenty of Brissett. If I were coach it would be 1.5 - 2 quarters.

Then there are those that scream that no starters should play meaningless football. Zach Wilson's knee buckles with no contact and people blame preseason football.

I guess the question is not whether "minutes" would help improve a starter's readiness for the season, but how much. Enough to make an iota of difference when the season starts? That seems to be the debate at this point. Especially since we watched 2020 -- with no real face-to-face and no preseason games -- with no real drop-off in quality of play either.

There is probably just as much value in the joint practice sessions preceding a preseason game as the game itself... different set of faces and skillsets as opposed to the ones you've been staring at the last two months.

I won't criticize our approach either way. Last two seasons produced two opener losses, but they were to the Ravens and Chiefs. Besides those we were 6-0 through the first four weeks of the last two seasons... 4 of those victories by double-digits.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
During many preseasons we have seen starters play 1.5 to 2 quarters in what used to be game three of a four preseason game schedule. Much like yourself I think we could point in either direction whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I understand the point you make those first games in both 2021 and 2021 being losses as well. I think you made an excellent point about the strength of opponents in both cases.

For me it's always been about the final results. In 2020 with no preseason we made the playoffs. I understand that made it even in that no team having a preseason. But I do think circumstances matter. Both the Ravens and the Steelers were playing in established systems most of their players were already familiar with. That wasn't the case with us. I believe that put us at a distinct disadvantage going into the 2020 season with having no preseason. A team in an entire new system with an entire new coaching staff. That's no small task. At that point everyone who makes the playoffs has a chance. In 2021 we did not make the playoffs. I think having an injured QB through 14 games had more to do with that than preseason. But maybe that's just me.

So much like yourself I won't criticize the approach either way.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Personally, I think it's high-time to scrap the whole preseason thing and move to an 18 game schedule.

Have two "controlled scrimmage" weeks with joint practice sessions against another team(s).

Didn't we do that with Buffalo every year? I remember because it seems like the score was always 13-10, regardless of winner. Seems like a couple weeks like that could get the players ready enough.

Pick two names out of a hat for the Hall of Fame game and call it a day.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No doubt about it. Teams have de-emphasized preseason games already. Just do away with them. Give teams two controlled scrimmages in August and then start the season w/20 total weeks (18 games and 2 byes for everyone … one of your byes comes before your TNF game)

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
I like it.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Would like to see something meaningful from Perrion Winfrey

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Players are now training and studying X and Os 10 months out
Of the year. It's not like in 70s and 80s where there was a actual
Off season. Yeah back then players needed those preseason
Games to get ready for the regular season

I'd like to see a bit more creativity in the offense.
I rewatched the Steelers Hawks game and Matt Canada
Was running quick hitting jet sweeps, things of that nature

Supposedly they drafted draft bust Anthony Schwartz for
His blazing speed. Yet you never see him running horizontal
Pre snap to occupy the eyes of the defense

V
Legend
Legend
V
No offense, but I think showing the complexities of your offense in a preseason game is the last thing you want to do.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Assuming our O line stays healthy....any QB will be effective. Biggest thing- no injuries.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Also, want no fights during dual practices.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Wouldn't you agree the jet sweep is a staple in every teams
Playback in this Era of football. ?
When the Steelers executed to Stephen Sims it was boom boom
And 35 yds later 1st and 10.
I wouldn't classify the jet sweep as a complexity in today's
NFL. I think KS is going have to show some more creativity
In his offense this year. Last year was soooo vanilla

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm saying that you want to work on execution during preseason and do not want to give information away.

Also, I completely disagree w/our offense being so vanilla last year. It's an excellent scheme. Among the very best in the league, right up there w/SF, LA, GB, and Cinci.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The end of the Cleveland curse.

We already have 2 players out of the season before preseason week 2, would love to see it stop there.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I'm saying that you want to work on execution during preseason and do not want to give information away.

Also, I completely disagree w/our offense being so vanilla last year. It's an excellent scheme. Among the very best in the league, right up there w/SF, LA, GB, and Cinci.

I think the confusion is coming from our lack of execution, everything looks vanilla when the ball is thrown into the dirt or the QB is sacked.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Has anyone heard if Watson is playing? I know Brissett isnt

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Has anyone heard if Watson is playing? I know Brissett isnt

Legend
Legend
There's little value in having him do anything before he reports back after the suspension. Those are valuable, limited reps... put them where they do the most good.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Why isn't Brissett playing?

btw game is live on NFL network.

It would be nice to see a series with Garrett and Clowney.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Gosh, I really would like to see Brissett getting a series or two

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I heard on Colin Cowherd that Brissett will now get all the reps with the 1st stringers.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I heard on Colin Cowherd that Brissett will now get all the reps with the 1st stringers.
Yeah he will in practice, but i think we are planning to sit him in the preseason game this weekend

B
Legend
Legend
B
Yeah he will in practice, but i think we are planning to sit him in the preseason game this weekend

That is what I thought and has me beginning to wonder if we are protecting him from more than simply the possibility of injury? Are they not wanting to show him off to the public just yet?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

That is what I thought and has me beginning to wonder if we are protecting him from more than simply the possibility of injury? Are they not wanting to show him off to the public just yet?

That would be dumb and our guys are not dumb.

We are going w/JB as the starter and it would be devastating if he was injured in an exhibition game. Furthermore, it's best that the staff sees as much of Dobbs and Rosen as possible because one of them are one snap away from being the starter.

I would probably give JB one series, but I understand their thinking. I sure as hell don't think the decision has anything to do w/public perception. If I am the Browns, I am not giving a second thought to public perception after the crap that the media driven public has thrown at them. All I'm doing is concentrating on winning long-term because I know the criticism will dissipate into thin air and folks will be jumping on the bandwagon once we start winning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Eagles 21 What Do You Want to See?

Link Copied to Clipboard