Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
If Cooper can break ankles like that all season, he will be, hands down, the best WR we've had here in years. Probably a decade or more.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
We need Wills to improve this year or else we’ll be in limbo with his future imo

He will be the RT. We may need to start looking for a LT at some point.

He had a pretty good rookie year at LT and struggled last year due to injuries. I don't get this narrative of switching him to RT.

I am not writing him off at this point. I was just commenting on if he doesn't cut the mustard on the left side.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
Legend
M
We need Wills to improve this year or else we’ll be in limbo with his future imo

He had a pretty good rookie year at LT and struggled last year due to injuries. I don't get this narrative of switching him to RT.

I am not writing him off at this point. I was just commenting on if he doesn't cut the mustard on the left side.

I will say, Wills needs to do far better from the penalty standpoint. I feel like he was the most penalized lineman by a wide margin in his first two years here.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The scouting reports on Wills said he'd most likely be a guard at the NFL level.

Yet another post from steve that should have started with "Once upon a time,..."

I did not remember scouting reports about Wills having to move to guard, bu I just checked. I clicked on the first seven scouting reports on Wills and not one said he would most likely be a guard. None of them even mentioned he might have to move inside. A couple did mention that he might be better at RT than LT and even said he could not play LT, but nothing about guard. It seems like yet another cheap shot directed at our FO by a disgruntled ex-fan.

Here is a link to the page where you can read all the scouting reports.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sco...372j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/19/22 06:18 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think this is a pretty big year for Wills. He might have to move to RT. Not sure yet, but it's too early to tell. Again, I agree w/you and others that he needs to improve and it's an important year for him.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/19/22 06:19 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The scouting reports on Wills said he'd most likely be a guard at the NFL level.

Yet another post from steve that should have started with "Once upon a time,..."

I did not remember scouting reports about Wills having to move to guard, bu I just checked. I clicked on the first seven scouting reports on Wills and not one said he would most likely be a guard. None of them even mentioned he might have to move inside. A couple did mention that he might be better at RT than LT and even said he could not play LT, but nothing about guard. It seems like yet another cheap shot directed at our FO by a disgruntled ex-fan.

Here is a link to the page where you can read all the scouting reports.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sco...372j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Two items Vers, who the hell made you the god to question everyone's posts. Just because you haven't seen the scouting report saying he'd be better at guard doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Secondly, the jest of the post was Wills had never played LT in his life and that trying to move him to such a high skilled position of protecting the NFL QB's blind side could cause issues. Wills played a couple of games at guard while at Bama so he had some experience and thus the scouting report on moving inside. I'm a little tired of your chicken shizz posts even when it has something to do with pure football. It wasn't a cheap shot bozo, the Browns had other choices when they decided on Wills for LT and they do not have a 1st round pick the next 2-years to address it if that's the way they should want to go. Those are facts - not cheap shots - and you're not the forum editor anyway. By the way - I'm a fan, been a fan, and will continue to be a fan that will question and hopefully spur conversation about the Browns pro and con. So, get used to it Mr. "I Think I know Everything," I'm not going anywhere. After watching your 4-years of negative crap spewed all over this forum it takes some gull to try to call anyone out on this forum.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Two items Vers, who the hell made you the god to question everyone's posts.

I did. And you did, too. Seeing as how all the grief you have given me for expressing my opinions on the team.

Just because you haven't seen the scouting report saying he'd be better at guard doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You didn't say scouting report. You said this:

I corrected your information. Sorry if the truth upsets you. You know, when I was not participating on the board, I'd sometimes visit and read posts. I nicknamed you Mr. Once Upon a Time then because you would use partial truths and then totally misrepresent them, like your bogus claims about Stefanski in Minni. And in all the time I've seen you post, you have never once criticized Baker and almost every post you make is bashing his supporting cast, the coaches, and the FO.

Secondly, the jest of the post was Wills had never played LT in his life and that trying to move him to such a high skilled position of protecting the NFL QB's blind side could cause issues.

Jest means something said or done for amusement or a joke. I think you were looking for gist. You're welcome.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Sweet double move and nice throw.

That was a good throw for about a 23-yard TD. My only concern would be it was a bit of a lob and the D looked soft. But he tossed it over the top and dropped it perfectly in the bread basket, and that is good to see.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wills came into camp in great shape, but unfortunately that has yet to help him in improving his pass protection.

Jake Burns did a nice film breakdown of our offense vs Jacksonville and (the truth is sometimes bitter in the belly) Wills was getting beat like a drum on inside counter moves, which led to a holding call on one occasion. The head scratcher is that as a former RT you would think that his right hand muscle memory would be better than he has shown to date.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jedrick Wills Jr. NFL Draft 2020: Scouting Report for Cleveland Browns' Pick
MATT MILLER
APRIL 23, 2020

Wills is the clear-cut OT1 in the 2020 draft class thanks to his toughness, agility and awareness coming out of Alabama. He has the tools to be an All-Pro-caliber performer at either tackle spot and could even be a world-class guard if needed on the inside. He's one of the cleanest offensive lineman prospects in some time and has room to continue improving once in the NFL.

2020 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Alabama OT Jedrick Wills
PFN Chief Draft Analyst Tony Pauline's scouting report on 2020 NFL Draft prospect OT Jedrick Wills of Alabama.

Analysis
Wills is a dominant right-tackle prospect who is an overwhelming force when he blocks with proper fundamentals. While he’s highly considered in many quarters, I see him solely as a right tackle at the next level with no potential to move to the left side. Wills will have a productive career at the next level if he keeps his focus on football, but he’s no sure thing.

The Draft Network - Drae Harris

Analysis
In the NFL he is a starting RT, with his true positional flexibility to kick inside to Guard. He has the intellect, competitiveness and technique to play Left Tackle in a pinch, however I do not believe his skill set is ideally suited there. He plays in an offense with pro concepts already and will have no issues with adaptability in the NFL.

Yahoo Sports'
Eric Edholm
April 19, 2020

Downside: Can he play left tackle? Well, maybe, but we’ve never seen it. Has played the same position extensively since high school and might have trouble flipping footwork around initially. One team we spoke to said guard could be his best position (although most teams would probably try him at tackle first, we feel).

Browns OL Jedrick Wills Jr.
By Stephen White Updated Apr 23, 2020, 9:29pm EDT

What Wills does well: Run and pass block
As a run blocker, Wills was an assassin on the second level. He would bump the hell out of the first guy at the line of scrimmage initially; then, when he scooped up to linebacker depth, that was your ass, Mr. Postman!

I swear, Wills would treat them dudes like he had heard they were talking bad about his mama!

But it wasn’t just the intensity of those blocks that impressed me. Wills showed good technique and athleticism. He stayed under control until he was within striking distance, then took his shot with almost perfect timing.

That’s at least partially why I feel like he could move inside to guard. In the NFL, Wills’ short-area quickness becomes a huge asset. He moves more like a defensive lineman (sorry, not sorry) and with his kind of power and explosion out of his hips, I think he could be pretty damn dominant at guard.

Not that I think his new team would have to do that.

Usually, I associate bumping a guy inside with him struggling as a pass protector, but with Wills, I think he could play either position about equally as well. It’s actually a compliment rather than a diss.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
just further depresses me that we squandered the career of HOF Joe Thomas on a bunch of bum teams. Says alot when the 2 best players for our team for several seasons were guys who couldn't score points for us ( Joe Thomas and Joe Haden)

B
Legend
Legend
B
So Miller made the opening statement about Wills being the #1 OT in the class. Not exactly about being a guard prospect.

There is a old saying about LT prospects and why they are usually a 'safe' pick..if they can't play LT, you can bump them to RT. If they can't do that you can bump them to guard.

It's a long way from the gloom and doom of needing 1st round picks you mentioned after I said we may need to look for a LT at some point..note that "at some point" is open ended and doesn't expressly mean immediately.

Did Phil Savage know you?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Wills came into camp in great shape, but unfortunately that has yet to help him in improving his pass protection.

Jake Burns did a nice film breakdown of our offense vs Jacksonville and (the truth is sometimes bitter in the belly) Wills was getting beat like a drum on inside counter moves, which led to a holding call on one occasion. The head scratcher is that as a former RT you would think that his right hand muscle memory would be better than he has shown to date.

Thanks for the info. Again, this is a big year for him.

I skim read through the scouting reports yesterday after steve's claim. His feet and athleticism stood out. Also, he plays w/a mean streak was mentioned a lot. That draft class produced Wills, Becton, Thomas, and Wirfs. There was a lot of debate about those guys. Wirfs has been the best of the bunch, but he is strictly a RT.

I know you study the draft and I like reading your opinions on the subject, so I will mention this to you. It used to be easier to evaluate college offensive linemen, but since the game has changed and most colleges employ what is basically a one-read system, it is now much harder to evaluate how these guys will translate to the NFL and almost damn near impossible to evaluate how QBs will fare in that regard, as well.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
This Wills stuff feels similar to all the hate on this board to Mitchell Schwartz in his first couple of years.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Looks like the conversation concerning Jed Wills took place in this thread, rather than the Camp News thread.

Taking a look back at scouting reports can be helpful but they also force us to take another look at thinking and reasoning of the Browns draft team.

I found the following draft information concerning Jed Wills that absolutely causes me to shake my head, wondering what the heck were the Browns thinking when they selected RT Wills to fill the Browns need for a Left Tackle...the following information comes from a NYGiants draft source..link below.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:23pm QuotePost OptionsPost by AmaniToomerToeDrag on Apr 18, 2020 at 2:23pm
link

The Wonderlic test is taken by every NFL draft prospect. They are usually leaked every year. Its a test to measure cognitive ability and problem solving. Think of it as an IQ test.

Daniel Jones scored a 37 last year which is one of the higher wonderlic scores you will find. I'll list different positions below.

Offensive Tackles Wonderlic Scores:
Erza Cleveland 30
Andrew Thomas 28
Isaiah Wilson 28
Austin Jackson 25
Matt Peart 20
Mekhi Bechton 15
Josh Jones 14
Jedrick Wills 9 (Scored a 23 on his second attempt)

^^ That's super interesting to me. I've made comments in my main offensive line evaluation thread how Jedrick Wills does not have good awareness. When I watch his tape I see a guy who is not processing and making good decisions fast enough. That was my biggest knock on him as a prospect. Seeing how he originally scored a 9 on his wonderlic test, just cements exactly what I saw. He did take a retest, but I'm wondering if he was "coached" to score higher in his 2nd chance at the test. A 9 is REALLY bad. That's like being placed in the mentally deficient kids school. I've also mentioned how aware Andrew Thomas is. I just see how smart he is when he plays. Really fast thinker, makes very intelligent moves while playing. He ended up scoring among the highest in the class. It's amazing how tape can reflect someone's cognitive ability in mental testing. I can read brains in film!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Wills did well his first year. He regressed last year most likely due to injuries. He's getting back to playing shape now. He has one of the best O-line coaches there is working with him. Let's give him a shot this year before everyone dumps on him.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
[quote]^^ That's super interesting to me. I've made comments in my main offensive line evaluation thread how Jedrick Wills does not have good awareness. When I watch his tape I see a guy who is not processing and making good decisions fast enough. That was my biggest knock on him as a prospect. Seeing how he originally scored a 9 on his wonderlic test, just cements exactly what I saw. He did take a retest, but I'm wondering if he was "coached" to score higher in his 2nd chance at the test. A 9 is REALLY bad. That's like being placed in the mentally deficient kids school. I've also mentioned how aware Andrew Thomas is. I just see how smart he is when he plays. Really fast thinker, makes very intelligent moves while playing. He ended up scoring among the highest in the class. It's amazing how tape can reflect someone's cognitive ability in mental testing. I can read brains in film![/quote]

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This Wills stuff feels similar to all the hate on this board to Mitchell Schwartz in his first couple of years.

I don't think the two situations are the same other then the fact that they are OTs' ... the concern with Wills is very tangible, (not so much with Schwartz) and observable. On top of his struggles in pass protection vs inside counters, Wills has also been making many unforced mental errors.

One thing for certain is that this year is going to determine if we pick up his 5th year option, or look for his replacement.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wills is still young. I would not give up on him. Our OL was ranked #1 overall two years ago and 8th last year despite injuries to both tackles. They are ranked 2nd overall going into this season.

You can't have a Pro Bowler at every position. Finding LTs can be hard. We went w/out one for a long, long time and it wreaked havoc on us for equally as long.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Wills is same age as Trevor Penning.

Legend
Legend
Next year tackle will be a key position to watch.

Conklin will be a FA. Hubbard most likely gone. Hudson is a guy to watch.

Depending on how Wills plays; he could be moved to RT. Hudson will be watched closely. They will try to determine if he can be a starter.

Given our draft position. We may have to go after a high priced FA tackle.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, T is a position that will be one to watch in our future, especially with the task of protecting Watson now.

The fact that Hudson is mentioned as an option is crazy considering how bad he was last preseason haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I can save them some time. I do not want to watch him as a starter, nor do I want to watch him as "project" while awaiting some hoped-for blossoming into a NFL starter. FA.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, T is a position that will be one to watch in our future, especially with the task of protecting Watson now.

I think having Watson will help the OL. He can escape pressure. This year, I'm worried about our center's pass blocking. His PFF pass blocking grade is bad. Jacoby isn't Watson back there. Quick pressure up the middle could be troublesome. I will say we have the best guard tandem in the league. That might help.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Wills did well his first year. He regressed last year most likely due to injuries. He's getting back to playing shape now. He has one of the best O-line coaches there is working with him. Let's give him a shot this year before everyone dumps on him.

The 2020 Browns draft team had the #10 pick in the first round and they had options and chose Wills. It's very likely they were aware of the information I posted concerning the wonderlic test...yet knowing this information the Browns drafted Wills at #10 with the intention of moving Wills from RT to LT.

Making that move from RT to LT had to be difficult for Wills...maybe more difficult than we realized. I'm not saying he can't do it, but now that we know how difficult it might be for Wills. I would hope that the Browns coaches and front office might consider another option for Wills...moving him back to the position he played in college...RT.

I do look at the talent in the 2020 draft that the Browns draft team 'passed up' in the first round...just 3 picks after the Browns drafted Wills, the Tampa Bucs picked Tristan Wirfs, RT from Iowa. Wirfs awards=
.................PFWA All-Rookie Team (2020)
.................Pro Bowl (2021)
.................First-team All-Pro (2021)
.................Super Bowl champion (LV)

Hopefully Jed Wills will find his comfort zone, whether it be a LT, RT or OG and perform to his max level for the Browns.

BTW...simply pointing out facts that others might not be aware of...does not mean we are dumping on Wills.

Last edited by mac; 08/20/22 11:27 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wow, eight different posts at various levels of concern about Wills LT play and future yet only one attacked because the self-appointed forum cop didn't like what was said. You have to love the way this guy gets away with this crap of attacking any poster he disagrees with.

Anyway, Wills PFF grade earned him a rank of 52nd out of 83 tackles who earned a PFF grade at tackle last year. Wills had graded out at 61.5 in 2020 and improved to 66.1 in 2021 but that 66.1 rated him 52nd or in the bottom 20% of offensive tackles graded at the position across the league. Concern for the position is a real deal this season since the Browns have to make a decision on if they are going to exercise the 5th year option on Wills by May.

Not trying to be negative here, just pointing out the documented facts about Wills play to date.

B
Legend
Legend
B
What attack?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

The 2020 Browns draft team had the #10 pick in the first round and they had options and chose Wills. It's very likely they were aware of the information I posted concerning the wonderlic test...yet knowing this information the Browns drafted Wills at #10 with the intention of moving Wills from RT to LT.

Making that move from RT to LT had to be difficult for Wills...maybe more difficult than we realized. I'm not saying he can't do it, but now that we know how difficult it might be for Wills. I would hope that the Browns coaches and front office might consider another option for Wills...moving him back to the position he played in college...RT.

I do look at the talent in the 2020 draft that the Browns draft team 'passed up' in the first round...just 3 picks after the Browns drafted Wills, the Tampa Bucs picked Tristan Wirfs, RT from Iowa. Wirfs awards=

Hopefully Jed Wills will find his comfort zone, whether it be a LT, RT or OG and perform to his max level for the Browns.

BTW...simply pointing out facts that others might not be aware of...does not mean we are dumping on Wills.

1 wonderlic scores mean nothing
2 Wirfs is a right tackle only. We already had one of those.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

Well didn't you know that a single day at training camp changes everything? And he was injured last year? Nobody cares about that on here either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What attack?

Not you

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think Wills has to improve, but he doesn't suck. Our OL has been outstanding the last couple of years. He needs to improve, but his biggest detractors seem to be the same guys who bash our FO on a regular basis. I doubt it is a coincidence.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Originally Posted by mac

1 wonderlic scores mean nothing
2 Wirfs is a right tackle only. We already had one of those.

Wills was a RT only too. In fact, unlike Wirfs, Wills had never played LT in his life prior to coming to Cleveland where Wirts had.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac

Yes, I agree, I was a big fan of Wirfs, and I don't really care that he stayed at RT ... many said that he had to move to OG ... but Wills was my #2 that year, and even if I might come off as being a little down on him ... really I am just hoping for him to improve and I think that he has the physical traits to lock down that position for the next five years. It's a show me year for Wills ... I hope that he balls out this year and puts our concerns to rest. But that's just me.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
I had Thomas #1, but I don't study the draft the way I used to.

I've been a bit critical of Wills, but I feel the recent onslaught of the attacks on him are unwarranted and that makes me want to defend him. My bottom line before and after the recent board negativity on Wills is that I think he's good enough to win with, but needs to improve. And I agree w/you that it's a very big year for him. If he hasn't already, it might be time to totally dedicate himself to football and work to reduce the concentration issues that pop up from time to time.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Originally Posted by mac

Yes, I agree, I was a big fan of Wirfs, and I don't really care that he stayed at RT ... many said that he had to move to OG ... but Wills was my #2 that year, and even if I might come off as being a little down on him ... really I am just hoping for him to improve and I think that he has the physical traits to lock down that position for the next five years. It's a show me year for Wills ... I hope that he balls out this year and puts our concerns to rest. But that's just me.
I think it's not out of the realm of reason to attribute numbers One, Three and Four on that list,
The All rookie team
the First team All-Pro
and the Super Bowl to the Tampa Bays success and popularity because of getting Brady on their team, and them becoming "In style".

Getting the Pro bowl, he has to be a good player,
the all Pro team? It can be biased because of the national medias influence and clearly a team with a top offense that comes from a HOF signal caller would get a favorable look.
The same with an all rookie team. And The Super Bowl? Well was the Left Tackle really the difference that pushed that team over the top to get a Super Bowl? Or was it more likely the @uarterback being able to make plays that counted. ( Gronk was their too, right?)
So it's not an e@ual comparison.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

E
Legend
Legend
E
mac and others

He can manage the position he however is not great at it which we would want him to be. So in my building the team I was hoping to draft an amazing DT Jordan Davis and then the next two years make a move with our first round pick and draft a LT moving Wills to RT after Conklin is no longer here. Of course we went and made the trade instead Wills will get better each season I'm sure of that.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
He probably deserves to be even higher lol. i think he’s undervalued by a lot of fans/media outside of cleveland. If you watch him play every game you realize how good Chubb is

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes Cont...

Link Copied to Clipboard