DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Milk Man Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 05:46 PM
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:06 PM
Camp Cupcake with the starters getting another pre-season game of rest.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:16 PM
They are having two days of joint practices with the Eagles. The starters will be getting plenty of work.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:17 PM
From oober:

"He just lost his starting center, and his WR group (already, arguably, the weakest group on the roster) is banged up. I can understand hesitancy to throw starters out there in games that don't matter."

I agree that the score of the game doesn't matter...but using the game to actually get ready for the season matters a great deal...especially with a new starting QB (who is actually a backup), a new #1 WR (who's actually a #2) and a bunch of developmental WRs AND now a new starting Center.

The leadership of the HC is fair game for criticism...he is the one making this decision...just like the FO should be criticized for not properly vetting their new QB and all-but-ignoring the glaring hole at WR that has existed for waaaaay too long now.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:24 PM
The same way he would be judged if he used the starters and they suffered a lot of injuries. And those questioning his leadership now would probably be the same people that would be questioning his leadership then.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Pdawg
They are having two days of joint practices with the Eagles. The starters will be getting plenty of work.

Will the Eagles rest their starters for the game too? Their starting QB is not suspended to start the season and their WR room is terrific...our best WR might be their 3rd WR. IMO, this is coaching arrogance at its finest (worse).
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:44 PM

Bad juju on the center position....

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The same way he would be judged if he used the starters and they suffered a lot of injuries. And those questioning his leadership now would probably be the same people that would be questioning his leadership then.

No question that every HC is fair game for criticism...but being "healthy" on Opening Day while being woefully not-ready reeks of arrogance combined with incompetence. Our HC's have seemingly done this STR...and we are 1-1-1,000 on Opening Day.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:50 PM
It wreaks of damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 06:55 PM
It wreaks of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

That too...but that is what that career choice entails. It's always a great play...when it actually works.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 07:00 PM

I did not realize we were practicing w/the Eagles this week. Thanks.

I've heard it repeated many times by former players and coaches.......the work that guys get in these joint practices is much better than the work they get in preseason games. College and high school teams don't have preseason games and they are more inexperienced and have a far greater roster upheaval than NFL teams. NFL preseason games used to be called "Exhibition games." They are in place for the owners to make even more money than they already do.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 07:01 PM
Bad news about the center.

I think some Browns fans are underestimating Cooper. Cowboy fans are lamenting losing him right now.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 07:25 PM

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I freaking jinxed Thomas.
frown
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 08:32 PM
Please do not utter a word about any OL for a few weeks. rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 08:35 PM
Reports are that Thomas is fine.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 08:47 PM
Awesome. Thanks.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 10:15 PM
Yeah thanks for the update. Good news
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/15/22 10:44 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 02:16 AM
It seems like when Cooper is on the field our offense is much more effective. he’s surely the go-to guy in the air
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 10:46 AM
I knew Brissett was not going to play, but was wondering about Watson.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 11:05 AM
Not sure if I am comfortable w/Ethan Pocic as our starting center. He was almost certainly going to be the starter even before the rookie got hurt yesterday. In case you didn't see it, it was reported yesterday that the Browns are not currently thinking about bringing Tretter back.

His PFF numbers are:

Run blocking: 76.0
Pass blocking: 43.8
Overall: 67.3

His run blocking grade is actually pretty good. Better than Tretter's last year.
His overall grade isn't bad. He was ranked 15th overall in the league. Tretter was 6th.
The pass blocking grade is among the very worst in the league. Tretter was elite.

So, I guess we could do worse, but the pass blocking grade concerns me. Brissett isn't all that mobile and having pressure in his face coming right from the middle might disrupt the short passing game.

I really wonder if Tretter is being blackballed by the NFL for his stance on player safety????
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 11:30 AM
Thinking about Tretter a little bit more...

Tretter ranked 2nd overall in pass blocking last year. He was 6th overall [pass and run blocking.] Yet, he remains unemployed.

Tampa Bay lost Ryan Jenson, their excellent center to what is probably season-long knee injury. However, they have not brought Tretter in. They are turning to Robert Hainsey as their center. He has never started an NFL game. For those of you who follow the NFL, you know that Brady's kryptonite is pressure up the middle. He doesn't like to be hit and inside pressure has always bothered him. Thus, it's imperative that the pass blocking be strong up the middle. TB has already had turnover at both guard positions and now they lost their excellent center. And JC Tretter sits at home.

The NFL is a shady, shady organization.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 12:46 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 12:49 PM
We don't need no stinking DTs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 12:53 PM
I have no idea what the Browns see in Jordan Elliot. He's been terrible.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 01:09 PM
In Philly, the Eagles used a 2nd round pick (#51 overall) on C Cam Jurgens, Nebraska. 4 time All Pro C Jason Kelce is in the last year of his contract, is 34 yrs old, and recently had a "cleanout" surgery on his elbow. He should be ready to play Week 1, according to reports. Might be a good 1 year stop-gap C if Browns can work a deal. Money? Don't know, don't care. The salary cap is a myth, IMO.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I wouldn't go that far. Elliott had a TKL for loss and a QB hurry/knockdown which cause an incompletion, in just 11 snaps, and those are just the two plays that comes to mind.

I don't know how PFF gets their grades of the game, when I seen [Levert] Hill (playing in the slot) get toasted every time that he was targeted, yet they gave him a high grade???
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 02:00 PM

I didn't think it was a forgone conclusion that Harris had definitely won the spot, but it is what it is now.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 02:03 PM
Thanks for that. That was an outstanding block.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 02:10 PM
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dave
...Money? Don't know, don't care. The salary cap is a myth, IMO.

The salary cap is extremely exploitable...but it is real. If not for the salary cap, JC would probably be our C right now.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

The salary cap is extremely exploitable...but it is real. If not for the salary cap, JC would probably be our C right now.

The Browns currently have ~$49M in cap space. The most cap space in the NFL. Salary cap space is not the reason Tretter was cut, though teams use the term "cap casualty" as an excuse to get rid of players they really do not want anymore.

My opinion is that the team felt Nick Harris was ready to take over the position and they did not want Tretter organizing half the team to not show up for voluntary camps again.
Posted By: Cleats Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 03:15 PM
So until we get another center on the team Pocic is our guy. I think Chris Hubbard has some experience at center but don't know how good he'd be if needed in a pinch.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 03:20 PM
j/c:

Still going to see if Nick Harris can tough it out.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 03:30 PM
Pocic was a 2nd round pick out of LSU. He had mixed results at Seattle. I feel pretty good he can do a good job. We have a lineman friendly system. We have a pretty good line coach, and we have pretty good guards on either side of the center.

I had hopes for Deaton, but that isn't looking good. Maybe we will get some news today.

The main concern is finding a back-up center. I have no clue if anybody on the roster has ever played the position or if someone can. Not everybody can get low enough to snap the ball, execute a good snap, then seamlessly get in a blocking position.

Much has been made of Forbes over the last few years. I wonder if he can play the position and if he has shaken the injury bug?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 03:36 PM
Ethan Pocic is Browns answer at center, not J.C. Tretter

by Elliot Kennel1 day ago Follow @ebkennel

The Browns like Ethan Pocic enough that they will probably not bring back their former starter J.C. Tretter, who is still a free agent.

The Cleveland Browns were dealt a nasty blow in their first preseason game when starting center Nick Harris suffered a right knee injury that will end his season. The immediate thought flashed through every dawg’s mind that it was time to call Jared Fox of SportStars, the agent who represents J.C. Tretter, the longtime star center for the Browns who is still a free agent.

Cleveland got great play from Tretter over the years, but they felt that they would rather save $8.2 million in cap space and part ways with the 31-year-old center. This fan believes that Tretter is the individual who more than anyone else helped the NFL establish a workable Covid policy that saved the 2020 season.

However, that’s old news. History may look on Tretter kindly, but at any moment in time, the truth is nobody really likes to have the NFLPA president on their team. He is perceived to be the center of controversy who spreads discontent in the locker room.

Without Harris, the Browns still have another solid option in Ethan Pocic who is a very credible player. He was a former second-round draft pick of the Seattle Seahawks and has 40 NFL starts in five years. He ranked somewhere in the middle among NFL starting centers according to Pro Football Focus. He allowed two sacks last season and committed one penalty. The Browns can probably live with that.

Pocic is the best option, but he’s not the only option. Brock Hoffman, a rookie from Virginia Tech, was buried in the depth chart, but popped up somehow to play 27 snaps (49 percent of the offensive snaps) and performed credibly well, especially as a pass blocker. Let’s keep an eye on him this preseason.

Although Pocic and Hoffman are the only healthy true centers on the roster for the moment, everybody and his brother has at least some experience at center, including nominal guards Drew Forbes, Blake Hance, Hjalte Froholdt, Michael Dunn, and Dawson Deaton. Forbes has nearly disappeared from view after being injury-riddled the past few years, but he and Froholdt both played more than 50 percent of the offensive snaps.

Froholdt, incidentally, was a fourth-round pick of the Patriots, so he’s not just a random guy. At any rate, that makes them eight deep at center. It’s not time to panic and send out an SOS for a high-priced 31-year-old veteran center.

From the Browns point of view, Tretter and the NFLPA are the villains for granting the Commissioner way too much power to decide moral discipline in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. If you step back and forget the Browns’ quarterback for a minute, the Commissioner has been granted unilateral power to meddle in a lawsuit in a civil court against an NFL player.

Before that lawsuit is concluded, the NFL can conduct its own investigation on behalf of the plaintiff(s) and can assess penalties and fines (giving the money to itself, rather than the plaintiffs) even though there are no specific rules that govern these penalties and fines. The intention is to show the world that the NFL is making sure that its players are a group of highly principled young men.

However, in reality, to many outside observers, it’s an illogical system and seemingly grants almost unlimited power to one person over the livelihood of the employees of the organization. Like, is it legal to establish a kangaroo court of this magnitude just because they have conceded it in the CBA?

At any rate, although the Haslams have generally been out in front in terms of labor relations, they may not be all that anxious to have Andrew Berry bring Tretter back to the Browns.

In addition, Tretter’s unique methods concerning practice (or lack of it) during the season may not sit well with the coaching staff. In recent years he has developed the unorthodox strategy of sitting out from most of the practices during the week in order to stay fresh for the games. It seems to have worked well for him personally.

He didn’t miss a snap for the Browns until Covid got him, and he played at a very high level. He has never been selected for the Pro Bowl, but he has been consistently in the top-10 according to Pro Football Focus. However, teams need to have regular practice, and not having the starting center available during the week was perhaps frustrating for the Browns.

Hence Cleveland might be right that $8.2 million might be too much to spend if other, younger players can do an adequate job at center and ultimately help them fit a $55 million per year quarterback within their salary cap starting next year. Hence Harris and Pocic, who carries a $1.1 million dollar cap hit this season, are much better values.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/08/14/ethan-pocic-browns-center-not-j-c-tretter/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

I wouldn't go that far. Elliott had a TKL for loss and a QB hurry/knockdown which cause an incompletion, in just 11 snaps, and those are just the two plays that comes to mind.

I don't know how PFF gets their grades of the game, when I seen [Levert] Hill (playing in the slot) get toasted every time that he was targeted, yet they gave him a high grade???

I did not see the preseason game, so I can offer an opinion. I do know what I saw last year. However, I respect your opinion. You know your football. I hope you are right.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 05:41 PM
j/c...

Interesting.

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 05:45 PM
Jurassic Quest isn't 'til November, what the heck is he doing?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 05:46 PM

The intern needs to update his/her preseason depth chart.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by FATE
Jurassic Quest isn't 'til November, what the heck is he doing?

Busy in the editing room deciding what ends up on the cutting room floor.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:11 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:17 PM
Ouch. That's like the Z team.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:17 PM
The networks have pretty low expectations for the game, it seems.
Can't say that I blame them.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Ouch. That's like the Z team.

The 506map doesn't have anything up yet, but yeah, I'm not surprised this is towards, or at, the bottom of the food chain.

Among a few reasons why, I think it has one of the lowest Over/Under's on the week knowing Watson won't be playing.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:24 PM
Gotta admit though...Spero Dedes is a great name.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:27 PM
Gotta admit though...Spero Dedes is a great name.

To each, their own. brownie
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:37 PM
j/c...

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:40 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 06:41 PM
j/c...

re: Conklin... that's fantastic news.

re: Dunn @ center.... less than fantastic.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 08:13 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 08:38 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 08:42 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 08:45 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 08:50 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 09:28 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 09:42 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 09:53 PM
OK...that might make some sense.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 10:19 PM

His Dad's take.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Brissett put the ball on the money, but Schwartz had a lot of space to make that catch.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 11:18 PM
Wow AB is really bargain bin shopping for WRs.
He's looking in the 95% off bins at Aldi's.
He is building a WR room not that far off from a CFL caliber
Type room.
Has anyone told AB that the league is more WR driven than
RB?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Type room.
RB?

he's looking for a PR not a WR
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 11:55 PM
He's looking in the 95% off bins at Aldi's Dollar General.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/16/22 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Type room.
RB?

he's looking for a PR not a WR

I bet he thinks that’s even worse
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 12:45 AM

Schwartz's evil twin reared his ugly head.

Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 01:00 AM

Schwartz's evil twin reared his ugly head.

Pretty sure I could hear Charlie Brown in the background....................RATS!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 02:42 AM
Winston could be a poor man’s Jakeem Grant. I know some Saints fans were high on him
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 11:28 AM

The Browns currently have ~$49M in cap space. The most cap space in the NFL. Salary cap space is not the reason Tretter was cut, though teams use the term "cap casualty" as an excuse to get rid of players they really do not want anymore.

My opinion is that the team felt Nick Harris was ready to take over the position and they did not want Tretter organizing half the team to not show up for voluntary camps again.

True. The salary cap is very real though and is something that is "managed" with an eye towards the future. That ~$49M is (partially?) earmarked to be rolled over to 2023...when a guy like DW has a big cap hit...and that ~$49M would be ~$41M if Tretter was still on the team.

Landry - who is not the NFLPA President - is easily good-enough to be in our pathetic WR room...he wasn't getting paid to stick here because the juice wasn't worth the squeeze - aka the cap hit.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 12:17 PM

This probably explains why Tretter is not playing in the NFL this year.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 04:44 PM

This probably explains why Tretter is not playing in the NFL this year.

Yet.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Winston could be a poor man’s Jakeem Grant. I know some Saints fans were high on him

He actually reminds me more of Landry stylistically. Still poor man's version, and I don't know about the intangibles.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 05:30 PM
j/c:
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 05:37 PM
Wonder if this is as much about week 1 intel gathering as it is about OL depth for the rest of camp.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 05:38 PM
I don't know, but he has never taken a snap in a regular season game.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 06:41 PM
Good eye, Bull. wink
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 06:47 PM
Usually stuff like this is the team had a high opinion of the guy in the draft or free agency and they want to get him in camp to see if their coaches can work with him.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/17/22 10:05 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 09:37 AM
It’s eye opening how vocal Chubb was about us keeping Hunt. Chubb never says anything lol so that speaks volumes
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 11:21 AM
It’s eye opening how vocal Chubb was about us keeping Hunt. Chubb never says anything lol so that speaks volumes

^This.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 05:45 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 05:53 PM
j/c...

Is it time to be a bit concerned?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 05:56 PM
It's not a problem until it's a problem.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 07:29 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 07:47 PM
j/c...

Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 07:50 PM
j/c:

This website keeps crashing for me. Anyone else? This is probably one of the worst days for it to do so.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
j/c:

This website keeps crashing for me. Anyone else? This is probably one of the worst days for it to do so.

A few times earlier -- doing better for me now. Last time I looked there were over 20 members, 50 guests and 100 bots, maybe that has something to do with it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Sorry to hear about Myles' family member. Class move by the Browns to let him be away from the team.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 10:49 PM
I hope myles family endures some tough times
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 11:07 PM
I know what you mean, but you may want to reword that sentence. wink
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 11:37 PM
Lol
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 11:37 PM
No offense, D4L
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/18/22 11:44 PM
I didn't mean any offense either. Just thought it was humorous in a weird sort of way.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 12:07 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 01:16 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 01:58 AM
LOL so funny. I sounded like an evil Chinese fortune cookie. Thanks
I know what you mean, but you may want to reword that sentence. wink
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 02:52 AM
Having a back as talented as Ford fourth on the depth chart is ridiculous. My guess is that he won’t be fourth in the depth chart week one.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Having a back as talented as Ford fourth on the depth chart is ridiculous. My guess is that he won’t be fourth in the depth chart week one.

I like what I see out of Kelly as well.

Yes, there is a depth chart, so Chubb starts etc., but with the backs we have the depth chart is almost meaningless. We could play any of them and be pretty darn good. Stefanski could throw a dart at the names on the depth chart to determine the lead back and end up in good shape.

I also think it leads credence to the thought that backs are somewhat disposable when you have a good run blocking line. We tend to give backs all the credit when the warthogs up front are the ones providing the necessary room to get things started.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 11:22 AM
When we drafted Ford I did not know a thing about him. So, I started watching his college tape.

He looked damn good to me. He had a good game last week. I expect to see more of him.

What a luxury. Hunt is not worth trading if we get a 5th rounder. He is worth way more to us this season.

It is a good feeling knowing the depth we have at running back.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 11:44 AM
j/c:

Multiple good posts in a row about the quality of our RBs and OL. Hopefully, this forum can return to football only in the very near future.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 12:53 PM
Most football people know that teams benefit way more from joint practices than they do the actual preseason game. With yesterday's new about Watson, the reports were not exactly flying off the presses, but I'll post a couple.

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Recap: Day 15 - Eagles Joint Practice, Part 1

The Eagles come to town for the first of two practices.

By Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature Aug 18, 2022, 7:30pm EDT 3 Comments / 3 New

Here is Thursday’s practice report for the Browns from Berea:

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 15 (8/18/22)
1. Eagles Come to Berea: The Philadelphia Eagles were in Berea today for the first of two joint practices with the Browns. It was not a public practice session, though, and even though the media was in attendance, they were not allowed to take pictures or video during practice.

Although both teams got good work in, the news related to practice was a bit low-key, thanks to the Deshaun Watson suspension news breaking around noon today. Practice started at 2:00 PM and lasted 1 hour, 45 minutes, but leading up to practice you had the suspension news, the press conference with ownership and Andrew Berry, and the press conference with Watson himself. I’ll leave that discussion for our main article on it. Watson did practice against the Eagles, but he will not participate in either of the team’s final two preseason games.

2. Garrett’s Absence Explained: We got more details on why DE Myles Garrett missed his fourth straight practice, per Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer. Garrett is reportedly on his way back to Cleveland, and might take part in Friday’s joint practice session.

3. Ward Upgraded to Team Drills: CB Denzel Ward only spent a few days in individual drills, and was taking part in team drills (at least some 7-on-7s) against the Eagles. No tackling was permitted on the day by players.

4. Rough Day for the Rookie: Per Hayden Grove, it was a rough day for rookie WR David Bell, who won’t move up the depth chart with days like this:

5. Browns’ Defensive Highlights: Since notes were scarce, here’s a few defensive blurbs from Camryn Justice:

6. Drill of the Day: Here is LT Jedrick Wills keeping his ground on a pass rush by the Eagles. The Browns’ Twitter account tweeted out a few select highlights:

The other highlight they tweeted was this cut by RB Jerome Ford, leaving a defender wincing:

7. Keeping it Tame: Head coach Kevin Stefanski didn’t want to see fights during the joint practices, and for the first one, both teams “kept it clean.” Sometimes you hear about one team dominating another during joint practices, but that wasn’t the case here, as both sides got their share of plays in for an even day.

8. Brownies: Eagles WR DeVonta Smith burned CB Greedy Williams early on in practice. ... LB Jacob Phillips picked off QB Gardner Minshew during 11-on-11 drills. ... WR Anthony Schwartz continues to try rehabbing his drop issues, catching a deep seam route from QB Deshaun Watson. ... All of the tight ends made nice catches for Cleveland.

9. Next Up: The Browns will hold their second joint practice against the Eagles on Friday at 2:00 PM ET.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/...ecap-day-15-eagles-joint-practice-part-1
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 12:57 PM
Eagles-Browns joint practice recap: DeVonta Smith, A.J. Brown shine; 2 young players hinder Deshaun Watson; veteran corner out

Updated: Aug. 18, 2022, 8:29 p.m.|Published: Aug. 18, 2022, 5:49 p.m.

By Chris Franklin | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

BEREA, OH – The Eagles lined up to run a play during the first of two joint practices between the Eagles and Cleveland Browns at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus in Berea, OH Thursday. After a run was called in the Eagles huddle, the offense made their way to the line of scrimmage. After the snap, Browns linebacker Jacob Phillips shot through a gap, thinking he would get a tackle for loss and hear the celebration from his teammates on the sideline.

The one thing Phillips did not account for was Eagles left guard Landon Dickerson coming down the line of scrimmage with speed, using his 332-pound frame to bowl over Phillips of the “pancake” block, the one that linemen covet. Dickerson was the one dancing in the direction of the Eagles sideline, celebrating the block and the substantial yardage gained on the play.

Dickerson’s outburst was not the only thing heard during the practice. Browns players were yelling after an interception, with the entire Browns defense going to an end zone to celebrate. There were also a couple of instances where cornerbacks and wide receivers were having long “conversations” as they jogged back into their huddles, making sure they had made their point.

Although it was not a full-fledged game, the intensity and the chirping from both sidelines at times made it feel like it were a regular season game instead of a preseason practice, a byproduct of having joint practices.

Eagles tight end Dallas Goedert said that facing off against players not on his team led to the increased energy and tension throughout practice.

“They make a play, and they cheer, then we make a play, and we cheer,” Goedert said after practice. “It’s all in good fun. That’s what you don’t have when you’re practicing against yourself as much or in the offseason when you have OTAs, so it’s fun to get back out here, get a little chippy and bring the intensity up. It makes us all better.”

Eagles cornerback Avonte Maddox said the energy was just one of the things head coach Nick Sirianni wanted to see from his players. The other involved the smaller parts of their game.

“We came out here with a lot of energy and to compete at a high level, doing everything that we have been taught to do,” Maddox said. “We have to do our fundamentals. The small details were the main thing that he (Sirianni) focused on.”

Two young players make plays against Browns’ Deshaun Watson, second-team offense

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson dropped back to pass late in Thursday’s practice, looking to see if he could find a receiver who was open. It had been a long day for Watson, having to face the music after the news that he would be facing an 11-game suspension resulting from the 20-plus accusations of sexual impropriety levied against him.

With the Browns needing Jacoby Brissett to get more time with the first-team offense because of Watson’s penalty, Watson was relegated to backup status. During this play, Watson was looking to get something right on the field. After locking to wide receiver David Bell, he threw in his direction. However, Eagles safety K’Von Wallace hustled over to where Bell was and deflected the pass. Wallace’s play was one of several the Eagles second-team defense had against Watson in the full team game-situations scenarios the two teams had at the end of practice.

Linebacker Patrick Johnson put sustained pressure on Watson, recording a sack and at least two hurries. Johnson has come on as of late, making a strong push to show why he should be on the active roster for the second year in a row. Wallace has needed a practice to stand out, especially with Josiah Scott and Reed Blankenship playing well at safety. Wallace’s breakup could be the play that brings him back in the race as a legitimate candidate to remain with the team.

Wide receivers DeVonta Smith and A.J. Brown take advantage of injured Browns secondary

The Browns are dealing with some secondary issues, with starting cornerback Denzel Ward playing sparingly as he comes back from a foot injury that landed him on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list before camp began and Greg Newsome also working on returning from an injury.

Their absence allowed Brown and Smith to find ways to get open, using their detailed route-running ability to set up defensive backs to go one way, leading to separation on the outside.

On the first pass in the one-on-one session between the wide receivers and defensive backs, quarterback Jalen Hurts threw a fade to Brown over Browns cornerback Greedy Williams, making a one-handed catch. Later in the 11-on-11 team sessions, Smith saw a significant share of the targets, with the Browns trying to eliminate Brown from getting big plays. During one stretch, Smith was targeted three straight times and caught all three passes.

Eagles start fast, Browns catch up

Hurts’ throw to Brown set the tone early, with the Eagles moving the ball well through the air. The Browns came back and made some plays, making adjustments and playing stouter defense, especially their second and third units. The Eagles first unit made up for the stagnant play from the reserves, redeeming themselves by having strong 11 on 11 periods late in practice.

Veteran corner misses practice

Cornerback James Bradberry did not participate Thursday because of a groin injury. Bradberry left practice on Tuesday to check it out but returned to watch for the rest of the session. Bradberry is a vital piece to the secondary since he, Maddox, and Darius Slay make up one of the better cornerback trios in the league. Other defensive players out included defensive tackle Javon Hargrave (toe) and linebacker Christian Elliss (hamstring).

Running back Miles Sanders missed practice again with a hamstring injury, giving Kenneth Gainwell and Boston Scott more snaps with the first team. Both were used successfully by quarterback Jalen Hurts as outlets, with the backs catching the ball in the flat to pick up decent gains and move the down marker further along. Center Jason Kelce (elbow), wide receiver Greg Ward (toe), and tight end Grant Calcaterra (hamstring) did not participate in practice.

Here are some other notable moments from practice:

-Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson had a good day against Browns defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, showing off his footwork to make sure he got himself in a good position to stymie Clowney’s pass rush.

-Eagles wide receiver John Hightower ran one of his best routes of training camp against Browns cornerback Martin Emmerson Jr., selling as if he were going one way before heading in the opposite direction. Emmerson bit on the first move, which allowed Hightower to get almost eight yards of separation.

-Eagles defensive end Josh Sweat used his speed to get around the edge to “sack” Brissett when the Eagles’ first-team defense went to a far-field to take on the Browns first-team offense.

The Eagles will be back on the field for another joint practice in Berea scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2022/08/e...r-deshaun-watson-veteran-corner-out.html
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 12:59 PM
Must have been interesting for Jon Gannon to come back and coach defense against his hometown team growing up.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 05:34 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 06:32 PM
Good news w/garrett
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 07:50 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 07:52 PM
We need Wills to improve this year or else we’ll be in limbo with his future imo
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 07:56 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 07:59 PM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 08:03 PM
We need Wills to improve this year or else we’ll be in limbo with his future imo

Tough gig following JT.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 08:05 PM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 08:05 PM

This is good news. I hope this guy can be a reliable starter if we are not bringing Tretter back. We still need to find another center during cuts I think.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 08:06 PM
drilled 3 from 62 yds...

Now that is what the Browns have been missing since Phil Dawson...York is going to win the Browns some games this season..! nanner thumbsup
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 08:07 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 08:47 PM
Fletcher Cox has been one of the most underrated players in the league for a long time. He's getting up there, but he is a mountain of a man and is hard to handle.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 08:59 PM

He will be the RT. We may need to start looking for a LT at some point.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 09:02 PM
j/c:

Sweet double move and nice throw.

Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

This is looking more and more like a failed experiment of trying to move a guy to LT in the NFL having never played the position. The scouting reports on Wills said he'd most likely be a guard at the NFL level. Shame the Browns wasted a 1st round pick on him when they could have gotten Williams whose been the best LT in football the last 2 years. Oh well, live and learn - LT will move up to the most needed position going into next off season and us without a 1st round pick. Hard decision for the Browns coming up when they must decide if they are going to exercise Wills 5th year option when they'd be moving him to a different position.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 09:41 PM

He had a pretty good rookie year at LT and struggled last year due to injuries. I don't get this narrative of switching him to RT.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 09:44 PM
Fletcher Cox has been a menace for a decade or so. we don’t see the Eagles much, but he’s so disruptive
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 09:53 PM
If Cooper can break ankles like that all season, he will be, hands down, the best WR we've had here in years. Probably a decade or more.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 09:57 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

He had a pretty good rookie year at LT and struggled last year due to injuries. I don't get this narrative of switching him to RT.

I am not writing him off at this point. I was just commenting on if he doesn't cut the mustard on the left side.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 10:08 PM

I am not writing him off at this point. I was just commenting on if he doesn't cut the mustard on the left side.

I will say, Wills needs to do far better from the penalty standpoint. I feel like he was the most penalized lineman by a wide margin in his first two years here.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 10:15 PM
The scouting reports on Wills said he'd most likely be a guard at the NFL level.

Yet another post from steve that should have started with "Once upon a time,..."

I did not remember scouting reports about Wills having to move to guard, bu I just checked. I clicked on the first seven scouting reports on Wills and not one said he would most likely be a guard. None of them even mentioned he might have to move inside. A couple did mention that he might be better at RT than LT and even said he could not play LT, but nothing about guard. It seems like yet another cheap shot directed at our FO by a disgruntled ex-fan.

Here is a link to the page where you can read all the scouting reports.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sco...372j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 10:17 PM
I think this is a pretty big year for Wills. He might have to move to RT. Not sure yet, but it's too early to tell. Again, I agree w/you and others that he needs to improve and it's an important year for him.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 10:37 PM
The scouting reports on Wills said he'd most likely be a guard at the NFL level.

Yet another post from steve that should have started with "Once upon a time,..."

I did not remember scouting reports about Wills having to move to guard, bu I just checked. I clicked on the first seven scouting reports on Wills and not one said he would most likely be a guard. None of them even mentioned he might have to move inside. A couple did mention that he might be better at RT than LT and even said he could not play LT, but nothing about guard. It seems like yet another cheap shot directed at our FO by a disgruntled ex-fan.

Here is a link to the page where you can read all the scouting reports.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sco...372j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Two items Vers, who the hell made you the god to question everyone's posts. Just because you haven't seen the scouting report saying he'd be better at guard doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Secondly, the jest of the post was Wills had never played LT in his life and that trying to move him to such a high skilled position of protecting the NFL QB's blind side could cause issues. Wills played a couple of games at guard while at Bama so he had some experience and thus the scouting report on moving inside. I'm a little tired of your chicken shizz posts even when it has something to do with pure football. It wasn't a cheap shot bozo, the Browns had other choices when they decided on Wills for LT and they do not have a 1st round pick the next 2-years to address it if that's the way they should want to go. Those are facts - not cheap shots - and you're not the forum editor anyway. By the way - I'm a fan, been a fan, and will continue to be a fan that will question and hopefully spur conversation about the Browns pro and con. So, get used to it Mr. "I Think I know Everything," I'm not going anywhere. After watching your 4-years of negative crap spewed all over this forum it takes some gull to try to call anyone out on this forum.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 10:57 PM
Two items Vers, who the hell made you the god to question everyone's posts.

I did. And you did, too. Seeing as how all the grief you have given me for expressing my opinions on the team.

Just because you haven't seen the scouting report saying he'd be better at guard doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You didn't say scouting report. You said this:

I corrected your information. Sorry if the truth upsets you. You know, when I was not participating on the board, I'd sometimes visit and read posts. I nicknamed you Mr. Once Upon a Time then because you would use partial truths and then totally misrepresent them, like your bogus claims about Stefanski in Minni. And in all the time I've seen you post, you have never once criticized Baker and almost every post you make is bashing his supporting cast, the coaches, and the FO.

Secondly, the jest of the post was Wills had never played LT in his life and that trying to move him to such a high skilled position of protecting the NFL QB's blind side could cause issues.

Jest means something said or done for amusement or a joke. I think you were looking for gist. You're welcome.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 11:21 PM
j/c:

Sweet double move and nice throw.

That was a good throw for about a 23-yard TD. My only concern would be it was a bit of a lob and the D looked soft. But he tossed it over the top and dropped it perfectly in the bread basket, and that is good to see.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/19/22 11:57 PM
Wills came into camp in great shape, but unfortunately that has yet to help him in improving his pass protection.

Jake Burns did a nice film breakdown of our offense vs Jacksonville and (the truth is sometimes bitter in the belly) Wills was getting beat like a drum on inside counter moves, which led to a holding call on one occasion. The head scratcher is that as a former RT you would think that his right hand muscle memory would be better than he has shown to date.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 01:49 AM
Jedrick Wills Jr. NFL Draft 2020: Scouting Report for Cleveland Browns' Pick
MATT MILLER
APRIL 23, 2020

Wills is the clear-cut OT1 in the 2020 draft class thanks to his toughness, agility and awareness coming out of Alabama. He has the tools to be an All-Pro-caliber performer at either tackle spot and could even be a world-class guard if needed on the inside. He's one of the cleanest offensive lineman prospects in some time and has room to continue improving once in the NFL.

2020 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Alabama OT Jedrick Wills
PFN Chief Draft Analyst Tony Pauline's scouting report on 2020 NFL Draft prospect OT Jedrick Wills of Alabama.

Analysis
Wills is a dominant right-tackle prospect who is an overwhelming force when he blocks with proper fundamentals. While he’s highly considered in many quarters, I see him solely as a right tackle at the next level with no potential to move to the left side. Wills will have a productive career at the next level if he keeps his focus on football, but he’s no sure thing.

The Draft Network - Drae Harris

Analysis
In the NFL he is a starting RT, with his true positional flexibility to kick inside to Guard. He has the intellect, competitiveness and technique to play Left Tackle in a pinch, however I do not believe his skill set is ideally suited there. He plays in an offense with pro concepts already and will have no issues with adaptability in the NFL.

Yahoo Sports'
Eric Edholm
April 19, 2020

Downside: Can he play left tackle? Well, maybe, but we’ve never seen it. Has played the same position extensively since high school and might have trouble flipping footwork around initially. One team we spoke to said guard could be his best position (although most teams would probably try him at tackle first, we feel).

Browns OL Jedrick Wills Jr.
By Stephen White Updated Apr 23, 2020, 9:29pm EDT

What Wills does well: Run and pass block
As a run blocker, Wills was an assassin on the second level. He would bump the hell out of the first guy at the line of scrimmage initially; then, when he scooped up to linebacker depth, that was your ass, Mr. Postman!

I swear, Wills would treat them dudes like he had heard they were talking bad about his mama!

But it wasn’t just the intensity of those blocks that impressed me. Wills showed good technique and athleticism. He stayed under control until he was within striking distance, then took his shot with almost perfect timing.

That’s at least partially why I feel like he could move inside to guard. In the NFL, Wills’ short-area quickness becomes a huge asset. He moves more like a defensive lineman (sorry, not sorry) and with his kind of power and explosion out of his hips, I think he could be pretty damn dominant at guard.

Not that I think his new team would have to do that.

Usually, I associate bumping a guy inside with him struggling as a pass protector, but with Wills, I think he could play either position about equally as well. It’s actually a compliment rather than a diss.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 03:32 AM
just further depresses me that we squandered the career of HOF Joe Thomas on a bunch of bum teams. Says alot when the 2 best players for our team for several seasons were guys who couldn't score points for us ( Joe Thomas and Joe Haden)
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 03:38 AM
So Miller made the opening statement about Wills being the #1 OT in the class. Not exactly about being a guard prospect.

There is a old saying about LT prospects and why they are usually a 'safe' pick..if they can't play LT, you can bump them to RT. If they can't do that you can bump them to guard.

It's a long way from the gloom and doom of needing 1st round picks you mentioned after I said we may need to look for a LT at some point..note that "at some point" is open ended and doesn't expressly mean immediately.

Did Phil Savage know you?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 10:45 AM
Wills came into camp in great shape, but unfortunately that has yet to help him in improving his pass protection.

Jake Burns did a nice film breakdown of our offense vs Jacksonville and (the truth is sometimes bitter in the belly) Wills was getting beat like a drum on inside counter moves, which led to a holding call on one occasion. The head scratcher is that as a former RT you would think that his right hand muscle memory would be better than he has shown to date.

Thanks for the info. Again, this is a big year for him.

I skim read through the scouting reports yesterday after steve's claim. His feet and athleticism stood out. Also, he plays w/a mean streak was mentioned a lot. That draft class produced Wills, Becton, Thomas, and Wirfs. There was a lot of debate about those guys. Wirfs has been the best of the bunch, but he is strictly a RT.

I know you study the draft and I like reading your opinions on the subject, so I will mention this to you. It used to be easier to evaluate college offensive linemen, but since the game has changed and most colleges employ what is basically a one-read system, it is now much harder to evaluate how these guys will translate to the NFL and almost damn near impossible to evaluate how QBs will fare in that regard, as well.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 12:53 PM
This Wills stuff feels similar to all the hate on this board to Mitchell Schwartz in his first couple of years.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 01:01 PM
Looks like the conversation concerning Jed Wills took place in this thread, rather than the Camp News thread.

Taking a look back at scouting reports can be helpful but they also force us to take another look at thinking and reasoning of the Browns draft team.

I found the following draft information concerning Jed Wills that absolutely causes me to shake my head, wondering what the heck were the Browns thinking when they selected RT Wills to fill the Browns need for a Left Tackle...the following information comes from a NYGiants draft source..link below.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:23pm QuotePost OptionsPost by AmaniToomerToeDrag on Apr 18, 2020 at 2:23pm
link

The Wonderlic test is taken by every NFL draft prospect. They are usually leaked every year. Its a test to measure cognitive ability and problem solving. Think of it as an IQ test.

Daniel Jones scored a 37 last year which is one of the higher wonderlic scores you will find. I'll list different positions below.

Offensive Tackles Wonderlic Scores:
Erza Cleveland 30
Andrew Thomas 28
Isaiah Wilson 28
Austin Jackson 25
Matt Peart 20
Mekhi Bechton 15
Josh Jones 14
Jedrick Wills 9 (Scored a 23 on his second attempt)

^^ That's super interesting to me. I've made comments in my main offensive line evaluation thread how Jedrick Wills does not have good awareness. When I watch his tape I see a guy who is not processing and making good decisions fast enough. That was my biggest knock on him as a prospect. Seeing how he originally scored a 9 on his wonderlic test, just cements exactly what I saw. He did take a retest, but I'm wondering if he was "coached" to score higher in his 2nd chance at the test. A 9 is REALLY bad. That's like being placed in the mentally deficient kids school. I've also mentioned how aware Andrew Thomas is. I just see how smart he is when he plays. Really fast thinker, makes very intelligent moves while playing. He ended up scoring among the highest in the class. It's amazing how tape can reflect someone's cognitive ability in mental testing. I can read brains in film!

Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 01:09 PM
Wills did well his first year. He regressed last year most likely due to injuries. He's getting back to playing shape now. He has one of the best O-line coaches there is working with him. Let's give him a shot this year before everyone dumps on him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 01:57 PM
[quote]^^ That's super interesting to me. I've made comments in my main offensive line evaluation thread how Jedrick Wills does not have good awareness. When I watch his tape I see a guy who is not processing and making good decisions fast enough. That was my biggest knock on him as a prospect. Seeing how he originally scored a 9 on his wonderlic test, just cements exactly what I saw. He did take a retest, but I'm wondering if he was "coached" to score higher in his 2nd chance at the test. A 9 is REALLY bad. That's like being placed in the mentally deficient kids school. I've also mentioned how aware Andrew Thomas is. I just see how smart he is when he plays. Really fast thinker, makes very intelligent moves while playing. He ended up scoring among the highest in the class. It's amazing how tape can reflect someone's cognitive ability in mental testing. I can read brains in film![/quote]

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 02:12 PM
This Wills stuff feels similar to all the hate on this board to Mitchell Schwartz in his first couple of years.

I don't think the two situations are the same other then the fact that they are OTs' ... the concern with Wills is very tangible, (not so much with Schwartz) and observable. On top of his struggles in pass protection vs inside counters, Wills has also been making many unforced mental errors.

One thing for certain is that this year is going to determine if we pick up his 5th year option, or look for his replacement.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 02:18 PM
Wills is still young. I would not give up on him. Our OL was ranked #1 overall two years ago and 8th last year despite injuries to both tackles. They are ranked 2nd overall going into this season.

You can't have a Pro Bowler at every position. Finding LTs can be hard. We went w/out one for a long, long time and it wreaked havoc on us for equally as long.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 02:21 PM
Wills is same age as Trevor Penning.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 02:25 PM
Next year tackle will be a key position to watch.

Conklin will be a FA. Hubbard most likely gone. Hudson is a guy to watch.

Depending on how Wills plays; he could be moved to RT. Hudson will be watched closely. They will try to determine if he can be a starter.

Given our draft position. We may have to go after a high priced FA tackle.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 02:28 PM
Yeah, T is a position that will be one to watch in our future, especially with the task of protecting Watson now.

The fact that Hudson is mentioned as an option is crazy considering how bad he was last preseason haha
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 02:34 PM
I can save them some time. I do not want to watch him as a starter, nor do I want to watch him as "project" while awaiting some hoped-for blossoming into a NFL starter. FA.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 03:18 PM
Yeah, T is a position that will be one to watch in our future, especially with the task of protecting Watson now.

I think having Watson will help the OL. He can escape pressure. This year, I'm worried about our center's pass blocking. His PFF pass blocking grade is bad. Jacoby isn't Watson back there. Quick pressure up the middle could be troublesome. I will say we have the best guard tandem in the league. That might help.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Wills did well his first year. He regressed last year most likely due to injuries. He's getting back to playing shape now. He has one of the best O-line coaches there is working with him. Let's give him a shot this year before everyone dumps on him.

The 2020 Browns draft team had the #10 pick in the first round and they had options and chose Wills. It's very likely they were aware of the information I posted concerning the wonderlic test...yet knowing this information the Browns drafted Wills at #10 with the intention of moving Wills from RT to LT.

Making that move from RT to LT had to be difficult for Wills...maybe more difficult than we realized. I'm not saying he can't do it, but now that we know how difficult it might be for Wills. I would hope that the Browns coaches and front office might consider another option for Wills...moving him back to the position he played in college...RT.

I do look at the talent in the 2020 draft that the Browns draft team 'passed up' in the first round...just 3 picks after the Browns drafted Wills, the Tampa Bucs picked Tristan Wirfs, RT from Iowa. Wirfs awards=
.................PFWA All-Rookie Team (2020)
.................Pro Bowl (2021)
.................First-team All-Pro (2021)
.................Super Bowl champion (LV)

Hopefully Jed Wills will find his comfort zone, whether it be a LT, RT or OG and perform to his max level for the Browns.

BTW...simply pointing out facts that others might not be aware of...does not mean we are dumping on Wills.

Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 04:01 PM
Wow, eight different posts at various levels of concern about Wills LT play and future yet only one attacked because the self-appointed forum cop didn't like what was said. You have to love the way this guy gets away with this crap of attacking any poster he disagrees with.

Anyway, Wills PFF grade earned him a rank of 52nd out of 83 tackles who earned a PFF grade at tackle last year. Wills had graded out at 61.5 in 2020 and improved to 66.1 in 2021 but that 66.1 rated him 52nd or in the bottom 20% of offensive tackles graded at the position across the league. Concern for the position is a real deal this season since the Browns have to make a decision on if they are going to exercise the 5th year option on Wills by May.

Not trying to be negative here, just pointing out the documented facts about Wills play to date.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 04:27 PM
What attack?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by mac

The 2020 Browns draft team had the #10 pick in the first round and they had options and chose Wills. It's very likely they were aware of the information I posted concerning the wonderlic test...yet knowing this information the Browns drafted Wills at #10 with the intention of moving Wills from RT to LT.

Making that move from RT to LT had to be difficult for Wills...maybe more difficult than we realized. I'm not saying he can't do it, but now that we know how difficult it might be for Wills. I would hope that the Browns coaches and front office might consider another option for Wills...moving him back to the position he played in college...RT.

I do look at the talent in the 2020 draft that the Browns draft team 'passed up' in the first round...just 3 picks after the Browns drafted Wills, the Tampa Bucs picked Tristan Wirfs, RT from Iowa. Wirfs awards=

Hopefully Jed Wills will find his comfort zone, whether it be a LT, RT or OG and perform to his max level for the Browns.

BTW...simply pointing out facts that others might not be aware of...does not mean we are dumping on Wills.

1 wonderlic scores mean nothing
2 Wirfs is a right tackle only. We already had one of those.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 04:34 PM

Well didn't you know that a single day at training camp changes everything? And he was injured last year? Nobody cares about that on here either.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 04:47 PM
What attack?

Not you
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 07:48 PM
j/c:

I think Wills has to improve, but he doesn't suck. Our OL has been outstanding the last couple of years. He needs to improve, but his biggest detractors seem to be the same guys who bash our FO on a regular basis. I doubt it is a coincidence.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/20/22 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by mac

1 wonderlic scores mean nothing
2 Wirfs is a right tackle only. We already had one of those.

Wills was a RT only too. In fact, unlike Wirfs, Wills had never played LT in his life prior to coming to Cleveland where Wirts had.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/21/22 12:59 AM
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/21/22 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by mac

Yes, I agree, I was a big fan of Wirfs, and I don't really care that he stayed at RT ... many said that he had to move to OG ... but Wills was my #2 that year, and even if I might come off as being a little down on him ... really I am just hoping for him to improve and I think that he has the physical traits to lock down that position for the next five years. It's a show me year for Wills ... I hope that he balls out this year and puts our concerns to rest. But that's just me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/21/22 11:33 AM
I had Thomas #1, but I don't study the draft the way I used to.

I've been a bit critical of Wills, but I feel the recent onslaught of the attacks on him are unwarranted and that makes me want to defend him. My bottom line before and after the recent board negativity on Wills is that I think he's good enough to win with, but needs to improve. And I agree w/you that it's a very big year for him. If he hasn't already, it might be time to totally dedicate himself to football and work to reduce the concentration issues that pop up from time to time.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/21/22 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Yes, I agree, I was a big fan of Wirfs, and I don't really care that he stayed at RT ... many said that he had to move to OG ... but Wills was my #2 that year, and even if I might come off as being a little down on him ... really I am just hoping for him to improve and I think that he has the physical traits to lock down that position for the next five years. It's a show me year for Wills ... I hope that he balls out this year and puts our concerns to rest. But that's just me.
I think it's not out of the realm of reason to attribute numbers One, Three and Four on that list,
The All rookie team
the First team All-Pro
and the Super Bowl to the Tampa Bays success and popularity because of getting Brady on their team, and them becoming "In style".

Getting the Pro bowl, he has to be a good player,
the all Pro team? It can be biased because of the national medias influence and clearly a team with a top offense that comes from a HOF signal caller would get a favorable look.
The same with an all rookie team. And The Super Bowl? Well was the Left Tackle really the difference that pushed that team over the top to get a Super Bowl? Or was it more likely the @uarterback being able to make plays that counted. ( Gronk was their too, right?)
So it's not an e@ual comparison.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 11:12 AM
j/c:

Posted By: eotab Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 12:09 PM
mac and others

He can manage the position he however is not great at it which we would want him to be. So in my building the team I was hoping to draft an amazing DT Jordan Davis and then the next two years make a move with our first round pick and draft a LT moving Wills to RT after Conklin is no longer here. Of course we went and made the trade instead Wills will get better each season I'm sure of that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 01:25 PM
He probably deserves to be even higher lol. i think he’s undervalued by a lot of fans/media outside of cleveland. If you watch him play every game you realize how good Chubb is
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 01:36 PM
Before Nick's draft I saw an interview with Saquon Barkley. At that time Saquon was the big dog coming out. He was asked "what back do you watch and respect?"

His answer was Nick Chubb.

Nick goes out there on the field with the intention of "I am going to whip your butt."

I love watching him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 04:17 PM
This article was posted today and it had some interesting possible trades:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...am-should-propose-before-the-2022-season
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 04:25 PM
To be honest, I don't expect Hunt to be with us after the trade deadline.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by FrankZ
I would hate to lose him, but I get what you're saying. Hope he goes somewhere that'll give him his carries, and we get the right compensation.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 05:32 PM
j/c...

Interesting comment about Winfrey after he appears to have been benched the 1st quarter of this past game.

Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I would hate to lose him, but I get what you're saying. Hope he goes somewhere that'll give him his carries, and we get the right compensation.

I don't wish to see him gone, but I think Ford and Johnson make more cost effective backups.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by eotab
mac and others

He can manage the position he however is not great at it which we would want him to be. So in my building the team I was hoping to draft an amazing DT Jordan Davis and then the next two years make a move with our first round pick and draft a LT moving Wills to RT after Conklin is no longer here. Of course we went and made the trade instead Wills will get better each season I'm sure of that.

He's never been anywhere near special and his work ethic may be in question - Teller's comments last year...his getting yanked this year in TC. He is the weakest link in the OL chain...something PFF doesn't/didn't recognize when their "math" had/has the Browns OL as top 5 or better. When your LT is average on his best day (when uninjured) your OL is not top 5. Sometimes one (not you) has to put down the agenda and watch the game instead of reading/spouting PFF as the gospel.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 06:07 PM
I agree with you in terms of Johnson. When it comes to Ford I like what I've seen but I think everyone should consider the competition he has been playing against. He looks very good against back ups and third stringers but that in no way indicates what the results would be playing against first string NFL competition. Johnson by contrast has at least somewhat of a track record in that department.

But if Hunt leaves and Johnson become the back-up/2nd back, that would relegate Ford to third string. So in that context it may not be a bad situation.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 06:08 PM
Did Jordan Davis make a play vs the Browns.?
I saw the Browns RBs running at will vs the Eagles.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 06:10 PM
I don't discount "watching the games". But that is no comparison to game film where you can actually see and break down each players film. Watching a game gives you very little in terms of total player evaluation over the course of a game.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 06:48 PM
I don't discount "watching the games". But that is no comparison to game film where you can actually see and break down each players film. Watching a game gives you very little in terms of total player evaluation over the course of a game.

I agree. I'm just stating that a PFF blanket rating based on numbers can hide the fact that 20% of the position is simply not very good.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 07:47 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 08:05 PM
j/c...

Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 08:45 PM
I did consider the talent Ford is playing against. One also needs to consider Hunt is an aging back that wants a large payday. We won't retain him after this year, not without some heroic effort from the front office. I would think they will use a trade to get some value and be happy with the line up they retain with Johnson and Ford backing up. This front office doesn't appear to just spend, large hits are strategic and paying Hunt is not strategic at this point.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 08:51 PM

Just let him have all his carries on a NFC team !
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Just let him have all his carries on a NFC team !

But not the ones we play this year... laugh
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 09:21 PM
Seems to me like Winfrey is a long way from anything
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 09:44 PM

Sorry Frank, your favorite player Motley got cut.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/22/22 10:06 PM
There goes the season then... see ya next year! laugh
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 12:53 AM

The shine is coming off the FO's decision-making.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 01:34 AM

There can only be one Wyatt
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 01:38 AM
T-minus 20 days.... .
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 09:48 AM

I agree. It would be stupid to keep him. You just have to weigh the reasons to trade him v the reason not and it makes it a pretty simple decision.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 09:52 AM
j/c...

Interesting comment about Winfrey after he appears to have been benched the 1st quarter of this past game.

Hopefully just typical rookie things.

I focused on him a bit during the game. He seemed to be running around lost a good deal of the time and his motor didn't look non-stop.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 10:01 AM

I don't wish to see him gone, but I think Ford and Johnson make more cost effective backups.

I don't even care all that much about cost. At least for this year.

We have the backs to fill the position and we won't have to cut a back to keep a guy we won't be able to sign next year. It's a no brainer IMO.

After this year, we end up having to cut a player, so we won't have him and we won't have Hunt or the pick or player we could get in return. It's like losing out on 3 players to keep Hunt this year.

I might not be the best horse trader in the world, but that doesn't add up.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 10:07 AM
j/c...

Hopefully just typical rookie things.

I focused on him a bit during the game. He seemed to be running around lost a good deal of the time and his motor didn't look non-stop.

Right now he is thinking instead of reacting, thus he is playing really slow, and unsure.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 11:40 AM
Winfrey was really, really bad against the Eagles. I focused on him and it was brutal.

As far as Hunt goes, I disagree w/peen that we should trade him. A RB isn't going to get you a decent draft pick in a trade. Hunt is a quality back who can help us this year. A 5th round pick is a long shot to ever even becoming a starter.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 11:45 AM

How so? He was a day three selection.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 11:53 AM
Because they traded Baker.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 11:56 AM

I don't even care all that much about cost. At least for this year.

We have the backs to fill the position and we won't have to cut a back to keep a guy we won't be able to sign next year. It's a no brainer IMO.

After this year, we end up having to cut a player, so we won't have him and we won't have Hunt or the pick or player we could get in return. It's like losing out on 3 players to keep Hunt this year.

I might not be the best horse trader in the world, but that doesn't add up.

This year is already over...the FO+ knew such was a possibility and rolled the dice anyway. Whatever we get for Hunt will be worth more to us next year+ than anything he can contribute this year that would be meaningful.

I like Hunt...a lot...but this is the position the FO+ has put us in. I think the FO will decide it fruitless to spend on WR & DT as well.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 12:22 PM
This year is already over...the FO+ knew such was a possibility and rolled the dice anyway. Whatever we get for Hunt will be worth more to us next year+ than anything he can contribute this year that would be meaningful.

I like Hunt...a lot...but this is the position the FO+ has put us in. I think the FO will decide it fruitless to spend on WR & DT as well.

I hope you are wrong. Although we should have some idea before the trade deadline and we may have options. But ain't it something when any opinion you voice whether it's about the morals of your QB, play of your team or whether a RB in the last year of his contract should be traded will just get dismissed because of a player no longer on the team?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 12:30 PM
The most vocal anti-Watson posters (which also turn into "bad front office" posts, "the trade will never be worth it even 10 years down the road" posts) also happen to be the most vocal pro-Baker posters, even pre trade.

Are you claiming that's a coincidence? It's a simple yes or no question. If you believe it's a coincidence, we can agree to disagree.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 12:35 PM
I can only speak for myself. There is zero correlation.

Shocking to you maybe, but fans care that the QB they traded for has such a chequered recent history and was labeled guilty by the NFL with egregious and predatory conduct.

I like KS. I think Berry is very good. I loved the Winfrey pick. I don't know who is now knocking the FO and if they were Baker fans or not. I can tell you Pit was most definitely not a Baker fan boy, so going back to your Q .... I don't see a connection.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 12:37 PM

How so? He was a day three selection.

2020 Draft

1st Rd - Wills. More negative questions than positive results. Best OL coach in the league and the guy still has issues.
3rd Rd - Elliott. Rededicated himself for this year. rolleyes He's been awful thus far.
3rd Rd - Phillips. Still JAG. If he can't beat out Anthony Walker for meaningful snaps then he's toast.

2021 Draft

3rd Rd - Schwartz. Half the fans on here want him cut after (1) season.

2022 Draft

1st Rd - To Houston - who needs a DT?
2nd Rd - Traded - who needs a WR?
3rd Rd - Emerson. Lots to like...but Ward, Greedy, Newsome & Green will be ahead of him on the depth chart. Who needs a WR/DT?

2022 Roster

Backup QB to be the starter for (11) games minimum - they took this risk. Keenum is more-accomplished but he was discarded.
Backups backup is a 6+ year vet with ~17 passes thrown in the NFL
Who needs a QB to win?

(1) true NFL caliber WR; he'd be the 3rd best WR on the Bengals. No other WR would make the Bengals roster. WRs in 2021 were so bad that the top (3) weren't wanted back.

(?) number of DTs that could get meaningful snaps for another NFL team. DTs in 2021 were so bad that the top (2) weren't wanted back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fans will state that a team cannot have All-pros at every position...but that's not our issue at WR & DT...not only do we not have All-Pros...our average Joes aren't good enough to make a competitive roster in the league. Our "shining light" will come after the other 31 teams have discarded the best 53 on their roster.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
I can only speak for myself. There is zero correlation.

Shocking to you maybe, but fans care that the QB they traded for has such a chequered recent history and was labeled guilty by the NFL with egregious and predatory conduct.

I like KS. I think Berry is very good. I loved the Winfrey pick. I don't know who is now knocking the FO and if they were Baker fans or not. I can tell you Pit was most definitely not a Baker fan boy, so going back to your Q .... I don't see a connection.

To my eye, there is (1) pro-Baker poster on here who can't let it go and (1) anti-Baker poster who can't stop bringing him up and misleading folks as to what was the 2021 season.

The correlation that some appear to want to draw is in their own minds. One can be critical of the FO without saying that they are bad. I get it though. It's much harder to make a point with real examples than it is to make a blanket statement about another person's intent.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 01:20 PM
I have a feeling the conversation has moved away from Browns news and moved towards poster news, but here is a news tweet if anyone is interested.

I think it will be good to let JB play the first quarter against ATL w/the starting OL. Not sure if that will happen or not?

Also, Depo mentioned during the Eagle telecast that they were discussing on whether or not to play JB and Watson in the final game. We have our answer on JB. Not sure about Watson. I'd give him a series or two. Looks like Dobbs has won a backup spot and Rosen probably will be cut.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 01:24 PM
Not sure how many of you are old enough to remember this guy, but it's worth noting for those who were around back in the day.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 01:52 PM
The following is from the Gregg Rosenthal article that I posted on the NFL Camp News thread a little while ago.

Last week in this space, I noted how the Browns could afford to deal running back Kareem Hunt because of their deep backfield if they found a taker. The comedy duo Bo Wulf and Zach Berman of The Athletic noted Friday that Eagles coach Nick Sirianni introduced himself to Hunt at joint practices in the same week that Miles Sanders hurt his hamstring. Another route would be trying to trade a spare Eagles receiver for D'Ernest Johnson. It wasn't so long ago the Browns were deep at wideout and the Eagles were scrambling for options, but the analytical tables have turned.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 02:04 PM
I’d be good with them trading us a WR as long as it was Smith and not Reagor haha 😂
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 02:17 PM
D'Ernest Johnson for Deon Cain.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by eotab
mac and others

He's never been anywhere near special and his work ethic may be in question - Teller's comments last year...his getting yanked this year in TC. He is the weakest link in the OL chain...something PFF doesn't/didn't recognize when their "math" had/has the Browns OL as top 5 or better. When your LT is average on his best day (when uninjured) your OL is not top 5. Sometimes one (not you) has to put down the agenda and watch the game instead of reading/spouting PFF as the gospel.

However, the PFF grade on Wills the last two-years has been spot on if not a little generous. I also agree that when your LT is average on his best day the OL is not top 5. Unfortunately, for you and others like me, when we question anything the Browns do or have done, we get accused of being not loyal, BM fans, or haters of the FO. The offensive line is in distress right now and I'm skeptical that it will pay the dividends needed this year. Center is a huge unknown right now. Conklin is coming off a very serious injury that could very well limit what he's produced in the past. The post is focused on Wills play who by all indications is struggling mightily at the LT position and has work ethic issues. These are not guesses or negative shots at the Browns, these are well documented facts about Wills play. A young man that is being forced to play a position in the NFL that he had never played before in his entire life. Maybe the plan is to let him continue to struggle, pick up his 5th year option, and then sign him to one of the biggest deals for the position even if he shows little to no improvement because he has "potential" like the Browns just did with Njoku.

The unfortunate thing about Wills is the Browns must decide by May if they are going to pick up his 5th year option. My biggest issue with this is the Browns are going to have to make that decision without ever knowing if he'd be significantly better at RT or could be moved inside to guard because they continue to invest all his time at LT with little to no improvement. That would be a shame because I do think he can be an asset at a position he knows and has played but we may never know.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 04:51 PM

I was hoping Kelly for Cain.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 05:14 PM
Maybe I missed it, but where are these work ethic issues people are mentioning? I don't think I saw that before.

With Wills, he had a surprisingly solid rookie year followed by a injury-muddled second season. I'm fine with him so far, but I also won't be surprised if by the time his second contract negotiation comes around he ends up being moved to RT for a young guy or an extremely expensive FA.
And I suppose that's the rub. This year is probably the end of the "oodles of cash to spend" era, and as of now we don't have a 1st round pick for a bit. How exactly are you upgrading on Wills?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 05:39 PM

I was hoping Kelly for Cain.

Build Berry a statue if he can get something for John Kelly!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 05:51 PM
LOL........but it's not like Cain has a huge resume. He has 9 catches for his career w/0 last year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 06:03 PM
No doubt. We know John Kelly will be cut. I suppose there is a reasonable chance that Cain will be cut as well.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 06:13 PM
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 06:15 PM
Maybe I missed it, but where are these work ethic issues people are mentioning? I don't think I saw that before.

With Wills, he had a surprisingly solid rookie year followed by a injury-muddled second season. I'm fine with him so far, but I also won't be surprised if by the time his second contract negotiation comes around he ends up being moved to RT for a young guy or an extremely expensive FA.
And I suppose that's the rub. This year is probably the end of the "oodles of cash to spend" era, and as of now we don't have a 1st round pick for a bit. How exactly are you upgrading on Wills?

Not to be negative, the theme on this board for the last 8 months is injuries have no bearing on performance. So, even though that should be a legitimate reason, we can't accept injury as a reason for poor play. Like I previously posted though, Wills improved his PFF grade slightly from year one to year two. Unfortunately, it was still a grade that was past the bottom of the barrel for tackles. When you look at the OT grading, Williams was #1 at 96.6 (and the Browns could of had him), Conklin was 78.8 and rated 20th while Wills was 66.1 and rated 52nd which was an improvement over 2020.

For your other part, Berry is a smart guy. He found 46 million per year to pay Watson. I guess it all depends how much weight the Browns put on having a top-notch LT protecting the blindside of their 230M investment. How he does it remains to be seen or maybe there's not that high of priority for OT like he's shown for WR and DT, time will tell.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 07:08 PM
No doubt. We know John Kelly will be cut. I suppose there is a reasonable chance that Cain will be cut as well.

I was thinking the same thing. Of course, the teams practiced against each other for two days and had a preseason game on the third day. Perhaps the familiarity w/each helps initiate a trade that might benefit both teams, albeit to a small degree. It probably won't happen, but it makes some sense.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 07:08 PM

God, I hope so!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 07:12 PM
the theme on this board for the last 8 months is injuries have no bearing on performance.

The only people I've read who have made this claim are people who put words in other poster's mouths. I have not read one person say that about Baker. I know I have said that I believe people are putting too much stock in how much the injuries affected his play. I have also said that most of the bad throws were not from the injury and I provided credible video/analysis to back-up that point. However, despite a couple of people who claim that I have said that injuries were not a factor, that is a false sentiment. Of course his injuries affected his play.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 07:28 PM
It's true 20 heavier in better shape, and with the right attitude. Lets just hope that sticks all season long.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 07:40 PM
j/c:

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/23/22 08:00 PM
The most vocal anti-Watson posters (which also turn into "bad front office" posts, "the trade will never be worth it even 10 years down the road" posts) also happen to be the most vocal pro-Baker posters, even pre trade.

Are you claiming that's a coincidence? It's a simple yes or no question. If you believe it's a coincidence, we can agree to disagree.

I certainly wasn't one of them. When it pertains to myself you would be 100% incorrect. At his very best I only consider Baker a middle tier QB while I consider watson borderline elite and a very clear upgrade at the position. That's not what any of this has been about for me.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 01:25 AM
Not sure how many of you are old enough to remember this guy, but it's worth noting for those who were around back in the day.

RIP
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 01:36 AM
RIP Jim Mueller
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 01:43 AM
RIP Jim Mueller

RIP Jim. There were many times when I had to work on Sundays, and would listen to him, along with Nev and Diek (IIRC) on the radio.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
RIP Jim Mueller

RIP Jim. There were many times when I had to work on Sundays, and would listen to him, along with Nev and Diek (IIRC) on the radio.

Before that he was a partner with Gib Shanley. That was a good broadcast team. As browns fans, we have been blessed with some pretty darn good broadcast teams that continue to this day.

R.I.P. Jim.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 11:06 AM
I agree w/that. It was a rare occasion where I wasn't able to view the game on TV or attend it live, but it was always an enjoyable listening experience when I had to tune our local announcing teams. I don't know what the guy was like in real life, but Mueller always came across as a very nice human being.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 01:10 PM
RIP. Thanks for the memories, Jim.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 02:30 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 03:46 PM
Thanks. Nice to see a football post.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 03:55 PM
Some positive opinions about how Jed practiced against the Eagles. I know I posted how he had three penalties in a row which seemed to cause a mini outrage, which was overblown.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 04:03 PM
Yes, I think he needs to improve, but the negativity around him is overblown.

Also, hopefully Elliot will live up to the preseason hype. And I hope Newsome gets healthy quick.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 05:13 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 05:15 PM

Also, hopefully Elliot will live up to the preseason hype. And I hope Newsome gets healthy quick.

Coach said Newsome is getting close.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 05:32 PM
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 05:48 PM
We're going to have an O similar to what we had when we had backs like Leroy Kelley, Bo Scott, the Pruitt's, Byner and Mack etc. We passed the ball then too but I believe we will see alot of what we did years ago.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 06:43 PM
We're going to have an O similar to what we had when we had backs like Leroy Kelley, Bo Scott, the Pruitt's, Byner and Mack etc. We passed the ball then too but I believe we will see alot of what we did years ago.

I think that's wishful thinking.
I mean, it makes complete sense, but it's not like this will be our first season with a wealth of great backs and a superior OLine... and we haven't, yet, been a fully run-oriented team. Heck, even with an injured starting QB for most of last season, we regularly seemed to abandon the run even when it was working exceptionally well. I fail to see why we'd suddenly expect them to change that now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 06:56 PM
I think the Browns had a nice balance last year. Teams that are losing in the second half tend to throw more while teams that are leading in the second half tend to run more. The Browns were 1 game shy of .500 In 2021 and went 11 and 5 in 2020.

In 2021:

They ranked 9th in rushing attempts per game.
They ranked 28th in passing attempts per game.

In 2020:

They ranked 4th in rushing attempts per game.
They ranked 28th in passing attempts per game.

I'd guess that an increase in interceptions, being behind in more games, and shorter possessions resulted in the difference between the number of rushing attempts.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 07:27 PM
I might be wrong, but I think we're going to see Brissett throwing a lot more than any of us wants for the foreseeable future. He'll be going against a stacked box until he proves he can make the defense pay. He'll have to prove it starting game #1.

The Pruitts had Sipe, Mack/Byner had Kosar. I guess we'll see what happens.

If Brissett can surpass a back-up like Pagel when it comes to being a true threat, then maybe it'll work out.

I don't know.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/24/22 07:36 PM
I'm guessing, but I think we will still run the ball. Teams will have to stack the box to stop it because we have a great OL and backs. I think we will go w/a lot of play action and utilize the quick passing game, w/an occasional deep shot to keep the defense honest. I do not think we will try and rely on a vertical passing game that asks the qb to make a lot of tough throws. I think we will try to stay ahead of the chains and limit turnovers.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 01:31 AM
j/c...

Huh.

Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 01:46 AM
j/c...

Huh.

Wish the best for the guy, but there''ve been toys in the attic since Arizona.

All the physical gifts, but none of the mental fortitude (imo).

Familiar NFL story.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 04:05 AM
What Browns uarterback did the Browns starting uarterback outperform to get the starting job?
Aw nevermind.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 04:21 AM
I think it means he’ll be cut. But I also don’t think it means that because I thought it was pretty obvious that he was going to be cut.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 12:58 PM
We're going to have an O similar to what we had when we had backs like Leroy Kelley, Bo Scott, the Pruitt's, Byner and Mack etc. We passed the ball then too but I believe we will see a lot of what we did years ago.

Let's hope they are like that group except the way Earnest Byner was in the Denver playoff game. That play still gives me heart burn.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 01:09 PM
j/c…

Tretter retires.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 01:16 PM
Good for him. Disappointing for me.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 03:19 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 03:27 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 04:11 PM
I think he was just named in a lawsuit. My gut tells me the two aren't connected, but it's curious timing.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/25/22 11:30 PM
Any latest news on Perrion Winfrey? Last week's game was brutal for him. He was just plain awful. Consistently getting pushed back, especially in goal line situations where he would end up 3 yards into the end zone against 3rd stringers. No QB pressure against 3rd string OL.

I had had high hopes for him but his first 2 games have been pretty bad.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/27/22 03:25 PM
Random thought:

At the end of last season, everyone was raving about Deebo Samual.
Seems to me, the Browns could use Kareem Hunt just like that.
Am I wrong? If yes, why? If no, then why not?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/27/22 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jester
Random thought:

At the end of last season, everyone was raving about Deebo Samual.
Seems to me, the Browns could use Kareem Hunt just like that.
Am I wrong? If yes, why? If no, then why not?

There are some similarities between the two. Both run violently and are thick-bodied, strong dudes.

I think the Browns have big plans for Hunt this year, but I'm just speculating.

I think the difference between the two is that Samuel has been a WR for quite some time and that position relies on some things that are more precise, such as getting in and out of breaks, running routes at the correct depth, not rounding off routes, not letting guys cross your face, making hot reads and sight adjustments, etc. Playing RB is more of a natural gift, like having good vision and instincts. Of all the positions, I think it is easier to plug in a RB and he can find success early on. You either have it or you don't. Playing WR is more intricate.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/27/22 03:38 PM
I could be wrong, but I also think Deebo is MUCH bigger and fits the mold of a WR way more than Hunt does
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/27/22 04:22 PM
Kareem Hunt 5'11 216
Deebo Samual 6'0 215

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/30199/?fr=sycsrp_catchall

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/31868/?fr=sycsrp_catchall
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/27/22 07:52 PM
Thanks jester. Way more similar than i thought!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/29/22 06:26 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/29/22 06:40 PM
There have been times when I have watched Myles when I just lost it.

Just damn dude how did you do that? Power to speed and quickness. He stands alone. Forget Watt who is great. But I would take Myles all day long.

A monster talent.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by bonefish

Just damn dude how did you do that? Power to speed and quickness. He stands alone. Forget Watt who is great. But I would take Myles all day long.

A monster talent.

I would take Watt over MG all day, every day and 17 times on Sunday.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:07 AM

A monster talent.

Ever notice Watt always lines up over RT. If Garrett did that, he would be a nightmare
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:11 AM

A monster talent.

Watt has a meaner streak .... But I wonder what MG would do and how more amazing he would be on an aggressive Pit D?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:19 AM
/
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:24 AM
/
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian

A monster talent.

Ever notice Watt always lines up over RT. If Garrett did that, he would be a nightmare

And gets a ton of pressure of blitzes where no one blocks him.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 04:36 AM
Yup. I think he gets the most 1-on-1's of any of the top Edge guys.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 11:21 AM
j/c:

Both Myles and Watt are great players. The two best Edge guys in the league no matter how they are being evaluated. To say one is clearly superior to the other is foolhardy. I'm glad that we have one of them.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 12:19 PM
Place the dunce hat on my head because IMO Myles is better than Watt.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 12:40 PM
I think they are completely different players. Watt is all speed - 250lbs of elite tenaciousness. MG is a much more complete DE 20+ lbs heavier with nearly as much speed and flex.

The biggest single difference to me is how they are schemed and maybe the quality of the other front 7 guys around them. I wouldn't trade MG for Watt.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 12:44 PM
IMO

MG wants to get the sack and look good with his shirt off...be friendly with his opponent and even smack them on the butt when his team gets punked. He's a good guy and wants to be liked an admired. He is a freak of an athlete.

Watt wants to win and kick your ass in the process. He is willing and able to rip off your head and crap down your throat. He's not patting the opposing QB on the butt after his defense gets beat for a TD. He's very athletic and is absolutely relentless.

Defenses can tend to take on the persona of their leader. Our defense looks and acts like MG. The Steelers defense acts and looks like Watt.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 12:56 PM
They play a different scheme.

Myles is a true defensive end. He is bigger and stronger and at least as fast. He takes on a harder role. He faces double and triple teams all the time.

Myles bend, lean and closing speed is off the chain.

Watt is a great player there is no question about that. He is an outside linebacker who rushes the passer.

There combine numbers are close to identical with Myles slightly faster.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 12:57 PM
I think it's natural to think one guy is better than other. I was simply talking about how they are both elite and one is clearly superior to the other. In fact, my comment was fueled by a comment that dissed Myles.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:06 PM
Open discussion to compare players.

Ranking position players players is always subjective. TJ won defensive player of the year. He earned it.

He got a lot of sacks. There is more to measuring how disruptive a player is on defense.

IMO there is no defensive end better than Myles.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:06 PM
IMO

MG wants to get the sack and look good with his shirt off...be friendly with his opponent and even smack them on the butt when his team gets punked. He's a good guy and wants to be liked an admired. He is a freak of an athlete.

Watt wants to win and kick your ass in the process. He is willing and able to rip off your head and crap down your throat. He's not patting the opposing QB on the butt after his defense gets beat for a TD. He's very athletic and is absolutely relentless.

Defenses can tend to take on the persona of their leader. Our defense looks and acts like MG. The Steelers defense acts and looks like Watt.

I have a hard time disagreeing with this. And I want to really badly.

For me, Myles is obviously a top ten player in the league. What I'd like to see this year is more clutch plays when the game is really on the line and a stronger finish down the stretch. Myles typically leads the league in sacks through week 11, then has 1 or 2 more the rest of the way.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:07 PM
j/c:

I wonder if the Browns will try and go after OJ Howard who was also released.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:07 PM
I'll add we could have drafted both. That would have been something.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:08 PM
Yes, Stainbrook said that is the belief.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:12 PM
j/c:

I read where OJ Howard looked like he was having a hard time running during TC. I kinda thought the moves meant that Stanton would make the team. But, maybe not?
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:22 PM
I think the Browns should really take a hard look at Lynn Bowden
Who the Dolphins just released.
Kinda multipurpose offensive threat.and he excels in return game.
He's gone through a couple coaching staffs but his talent
Is off the charts
I coached him in AAU basketball several years back.
He has alot of the inner city element hence he is from
So his practice and study habits can come into question
Youngstown. But the Browns need players who can
Create mismatches. They just really lack that on offense
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:24 PM
Griffin-Stewart does not surprise me too much, I expected a cut and maybe the practice squad.

Forristall does surprise me a bit.

Of course, I do not work in the front office.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:26 PM

*Gets popcorn ready*
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:30 PM
That doesn't ring true at all. I've heard Baker interviewed on local radio here several times.... he's been a model citizen. He's been outrageously civilized and non-confrontational when asked about playing the Browns Week 1. But hey ... who knows. I am sure plenty ill want to believe it.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:31 PM
j/c:

I read where OJ Howard looked like he was having a hard time running during TC. I kinda thought the moves meant that Stanton would make the team. But, maybe not?

This was my initial thought as well. Seems like it meant Stanton was sticking around.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:34 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:42 PM

Yeah, I don't think this means much. Baker has handled himself well in Carolina. I read where he admitted it might mean a little more, but he hasn't dissed the Browns. I also have seen that he has been a good teammate during camp and that him and Darnold were really getting along. It seems like he is maturing.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:43 PM
That doesn't ring true at all. I've heard Baker interviewed on local radio here several times.... he's been a model citizen. He's been outrageously civilized and non-confrontational when asked about playing the Browns Week 1. But hey ... who knows. I am sure plenty ill want to believe it.

It was confirmed by Freelund. But I also think she goaded him.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:46 PM

*Gets popcorn ready*
Baker thinks he is better than what he really is.
This shows he hadn't matured at all. Let your play on
The field do the talking . But nope he has talk and yap.
He is another version of Manziel only with a beer belly.
He is a career .500 QB , who leads the league in Turnovers
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 01:51 PM

I think it will be how the Browns players interpret this comment. Could end up being the proverbial 'bulletin board material' used throughout the week. All that said.....it is interesting that Cynthia feels it is necessary to follow up with something she said on air in the manner she did. That's on her.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 02:05 PM

I think it will be how the Browns players interpret this comment. Could end up being the proverbial 'bulletin board material' used throughout the week. All that said.....it is interesting that Cynthia feels it is necessary to follow up with something she said on air in the manner she did. That's on her.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 02:07 PM
Ah, the media loves to create.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 03:01 PM

Damage control.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 03:32 PM
Damage control.

Absolutely.

Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 04:15 PM
Cynthia Frelund set the NFL world ablaze after recalling an exchange she had with Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield after Carolina's preseason finale.

The NFL Network analyst shared on the "Around the NFL" podcast that she told Baker she was excited to see him "go kick some [butt]" in the season-opener vs. the Browns.

To which the former No. 1 pick responded with some expletives. Saying, "I’m gonna f--- them up."

Attempting to put out the fire that she inadvertently started, Frelund took to Twitter to try to clear things up.

"Oh boy, this is silly," she said. "Don’t make this more than it is. I was wishing him good luck, colorfully. He agreed with me, colorfully. What do you expect anyone to do in this situation…"

The comment is completely on-brand for the fiery former franchise QB. All eyes will certainly be on Charlotte, Carolina come September 11.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 05:32 PM

You seem to be indicating that what goes on after the play is over has something to do with how a player plays while the play is in progress. It doesn't. And also that being a good sport, good guy and being in great shape is somehow a negative. It's not.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 05:53 PM

You seem to be indicating that what goes on after the play is over has something to do with how a player plays while the play is in progress. It doesn't. And also that being a good sport, good guy and being in great shape is somehow a negative. It's not.

I'm not indicating anything. He is - and plays - exactly as I described him..and so is/does our defense.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 06:03 PM
Yet we were ranked 14th in defense last year.....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

And Myles ranked 3rd in sacks....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats

As well as 6th in QB pressures.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-s...-aaron-donald-micah-parsons-ranked-but-n

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 07:14 PM
j/c...

Able to return to the Browns facility on 11/14.

No massages in the interim, please!

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 07:22 PM
Yet we were ranked 14th in defense last year.....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

And Myles ranked 3rd in sacks....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats

As well as 6th in QB pressures.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-s...-aaron-donald-micah-parsons-ranked-but-n

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No one said a word about "Beauty"...I love stats...but watching the game is so much better.

I didn't say he isn't quite good...he is exactly as I described him though. Send me a postcard when he takes over in a critical moment and leads a tough, dominant defense. I'll put that postcard with his tombstone Halloween decoration and his grim-reaper cape along with all the photos of him shirtless....next to a framed photo of him fondling LJ's butt after his defense gets beat for a TD.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 07:26 PM
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Cynthia Frelund set the NFL world ablaze

Which is exactly why she crossed the line.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 07:35 PM
That's your opinion. Our eyes obviously see two very different things. Speaking of butt you sound butt hurt. Myles is great and if he continues down his current path he will be a HOF'er. I guess then you can send a postcard to the HOF and tell them that he's soft and why he isn't worthy after he's inducted.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Cynthia Frelund set the NFL world ablaze

Which is exactly why she crossed the line.

They played the clip this afternoon here on Charlotte Radio. She walked into it without meaning to - and it sounds like a storm in a teacup. Truly sounds like good natured sideline/silly trash talk. Nothing serious, no animosity. Certainly the CLT radio hosts here think it's a big to do about absolutely Nada.

** This clip of the audio just posted in the Pre/Game - Post/Game discussion.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 10:02 PM
Browns are favored in the opener right now. Baker hitting on all cylinders, as the underdog, facing the team he felt dissed him. Add that to the fact that our opener record since the return is abysmal... Looks like an easy-money bet to me from the Browns Fan POV right now, I can tell you that. I'll be rooting for the Browns, but unlike other posters, I think Baker matured right here and the Panthers are about to reap the benefits from our investment.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 10:06 PM
Regardless of how Baker said it and how he meant it you can bet we're going to get Bakers A game on opening day. We had better do the same and win because if we don't, whether it's warranted or not, we're going to look like fools for all the obvious reasons; AGAIN!!!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Browns are favored in the opener right now. Baker hitting on all cylinders, as the underdog, facing the team he felt dissed him. Add that to the fact that our opener record since the return is abysmal... Looks like an easy-money bet to me from the Browns Fan POV right now, I can tell you that. I'll be rooting for the Browns, but unlike other posters, I think Baker matured right here and the Panthers are about to reap the benefits from our investment.

Agree with this - he had a Diva WR running the wrong routes and he threw Baker under the bus, backed up, ran over him again. Baker handled that very well. We'll see what happens in CLT. I expect it to be a tough season on a bad team with a HC who is on the way out ... we'll see if he remains professional through some adversity.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 11:09 PM
Defense better step up, cause I don't have much faith in Brissett.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 11:22 PM
Regardless of how Baker said it and how he meant it you can bet we're going to get Bakers A game on opening day. We had better do the same and win because if we don't, whether it's warranted or not, we're going to look like fools for all the obvious reasons; AGAIN!!!

Maybe short term, but in the long run........Carolina will still need to find a franchise qb after this year and the Browns will have a top-tier qb for years to come. I could care less what dummies say. The Browns made the right move.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/30/22 11:53 PM
Vers, I did say on a previous post, sometime back, that when this is over, and we come out the other side we should be in good shape as long as DW reverts to his old form. There's no reason why he shouldn't.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 12:07 AM
Uh oh the Browns defense better be put on notice
Baker has that "chip on his shoulder " again.
You know that certain cliché that's been attached
To him cause lacks the physical traits to be a elite QB.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 01:14 AM
I was hoping the defense would be highly motivated to win any game, let alone against baker … let alone if he has any bulletin board material.

All that stuff is out the window when the ball kicks off. I hope we’re prepared.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 01:20 AM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 02:03 AM

Maybe short term, but in the long run........Carolina will still need to find a franchise qb after this year and the Browns will have a top-tier qb for years to come. I could care less what dummies say. The Browns made the right move.
Vers, I did say on a previous post, sometime back, that when this is over, and we come out the other side we should be in good shape as long as DW reverts to his old form. There's no reason why he shouldn't.

I agree we will have a good QB, being a franchise guy is yet to be seen, but the data allows that assumption. However, this is all predicated on him actually being on the field. I think once we've seen that, and only then, that this becomes a given. And he still has to return to true form. All the sugarcoating and spin in the world won't help DW clear those two obstacles, it's all up to him. We'll see.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 11:05 AM

Frankly, I hope we freaking destroy Baker in this game. More so to shut up the trolls on this board than anything else.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 12:07 PM

And the bulletin board material is now official.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 12:10 PM
j/c:

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 01:29 PM
Frankly, I hope we freaking destroy Baker in this game. More so to shut up the trolls on this board than anything else.

By trolls, you must mean everyone who liked Baker? That would be about 90% of Browns fans. Smh, you really do have a need to control the conversation, don't you? I think everyone wants to win the first game, but we're talking about the Baker factor or the BS situation we are in and somehow that makes us trolls... You're being ridiculous. Just stop.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 01:42 PM
If ‘Baker’ wins or doesn’t win this game it matters not. What matters is the season, and the coming seasons. If Baker has a ‘Brees-esque’ resurgence with Carolina, we lost. If Watson takes us to multiple playoff runs we won.
This game means little in the bigger picture.
That said, I want to win. But I want us to win every game regardless who’s the opposing QB.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 01:43 PM
j/c:

Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 01:49 PM
Will Fuller and Sheldon Richardson are still available.

It is hard to believe that they could not help the Browns.

Both are proven players who have skills we could use.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 02:01 PM
I would prefer Suh, but it appears the Browns are not interested.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 02:22 PM
I believe Baker may be carried off. One way or another.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 02:22 PM
I really agree w/this, especially Fuller. It boggles my mind that we don’t see some of the FA available as upgrades.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 02:50 PM

By trolls, you must mean everyone who liked Baker? That would be about 90% of Browns fans. Smh, you really do have a need to control the conversation, don't you? I think everyone wants to win the first game, but we're talking about the Baker factor or the BS situation we are in and somehow that makes us trolls... You're being ridiculous. Just stop.

Funny thing is -- the constant referencing, whining, name-dropping and basic infatuation with mentioning Baker's name; is somehow NOT trolling.

I think it's a man-crush in disguise.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 04:41 PM
No-one has introduced BM into more threads since DW arrived than that poster.

I hope the Browns win. I hope they completely dominate the Panthers. I want that because I am a Browns fan. It's not influenced by anything else.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 04:41 PM
I guess they want to use the roster spots for the players they drafted and want to develop.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 04:44 PM
Kellen Mond was with Klint Kubiak in Minnesota last year. He should have some institutional knowledge.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 04:48 PM
Both are vets who could give quality reps in a rotation.

Sheldon played here so he is familiar and knows the defense.

Behind Byan and Elliott there is only Winfrey and Togiai. That is a bare bench and they will be in rotation.

Honestly I am not good with that. Winfrey and Togiai are not ready to play. Both to me should be on the practice squad.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 04:55 PM
I agree. I love the job our FO is doing for the most part, but I think we should have upgraded the DT spot. I also think we should have kept Landry. He isn't making much w/New Orleans.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 05:18 PM
I know there is a emphasis on developing draft picks.

However, I would like two veteran tackle like Sheldon and Suh in rotation with Elliott and Bryan.

Suh and Sheldon are first rounders who could give quality reps in rotation.

I saw very little from Winfrey and Togiai. They are nowhere close to Suh and Sheldon.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 07:16 PM

And there it is. Anyone who disagrees with the Mighty Vers gets labeled a troll. You should run for political office.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
If ‘Baker’ wins or doesn’t win this game it matters not. What matters is the season, and the coming seasons. If Baker has a ‘Brees-esque’ resurgence with Carolina, we lost. If Watson takes us to multiple playoff runs we won.
This game means little in the bigger picture.
That said, I want to win. But I want us to win every game regardless who’s the opposing QB.

And to me that explains the same way I'm thinking. You don't have to hate Baker to want the Browns to win. And a football team is a team, not a player. Not even the QB. I have no idea what Baker's future holds. And neither do those who pretend they do. We've all seen good Baker and bad Baker on the field. Can he put good Baker together consistently moving forward? Nobody knows the answer to that question.

Why people can't seem to stop focusing on their hate for Baker is amazing to me. The Browns didn't want him so both he and the Browns parted ways. It's not like he signed a long term contract four months ago and then refused to play the entire season while demanding a trade. But I digress.

And NFL season consists of 17 games. I have no idea if Baker will begin to play with good Baker consistency. I have no idea if after almost two full years off the field whether watson will return to form. The question of "who won and who lost" is a question that can't and won't actually be answered for quite some time. At the very least until after we've seen watson play a full season. And then, if what happened in Houston is any indication moving forward, we'll have to see how things go after the honeymoon is over if things don't go well.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 07:57 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 08:03 PM
DAVE MOORE
GRAMBLING STATE
G
Prospect Info
COLLEGE
Grambling State
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Little Rock, AR
Senior
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 2"
350 lbs
34 1/8"
HANDS
9 5/8"
Prospect Grade
Traits Or Talent To Be Above-Average Backup

View All Prospects

Player Bio
Moore played just two years of football at McClellan High School in Little Rock but became an all-state pick as a senior. He played in nine games as a reserve his freshman season with the Tigers, then earned starts at right guard among 10 appearances in 2018. He started 10 games at left guard as a junior, garnering attention from NFL scouts for his play. He decided to move on to the next level after Grambling's 2020 season was postponed until the spring and accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
NFL Comparison
Nate Davis
Overview
Well-built guard prospect with outstanding upper-body power and a nasty streak as a block finisher. He's still a little raw from a technical standpoint and needs to play with better patience and control, but Moore has an intriguing combination of strength and quickness that should be intriguing to teams. Becoming more consistent with his footwork, leverage and hand placement will be key for him to go from prospect to starter in the future. Playing a lower level of competition and the lack of a 2020 fall season could make for an extended runway of development, but the physical gifts and toughness are compelling.
Strengths
Dense frame is thickly muscled from head to toe.
Broad through chest with well-built thighs and calves like small pumpkins.
Wingspan is longer than height would dictate.
Light on his feet and nimble out of stance and into pulls.
Able to unlock and unload hips into run blocks.
Able to dislodge the nose when he's focused on his down blocks.
Explosive upper-body power.
Carries some thunder in his punch.
Aggressive demeanor shows up on tape.
Foot quickness for important recovery steps in pass pro.
Has taken snaps at center during practices.
Traits to make noticeable jump once he tightens up his technique.
Weaknesses
Needs to come off the ball with better pad level to maintain natural leverage.
Inefficient movement into block fits.
Will need to upgrade hand placement.
Strikes land high/wide, diminishing ability to sustain blocks.
Movements tend to be more segmented than fluid.
Feet are more noisy than calm in his pass sets.
Wide base in pass sets and tends to lean into his punch.
Slow to reset hands and win back control in hand-to-hand battles.
Some inconsistency recognizing pressure schemes.
Played against lower level of competition.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 08:18 PM
Well at least they are looking according to this article.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ndamukong_suh_interest/s1_16748_37830216

They have to to do something at DT
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 08:27 PM

And there it is. Anyone who disagrees with the Mighty Vers gets labeled a troll. You should run for political office.

I want the Browns to win, cause they're my team.

But, some anonymous poster is already making excuses IN CASE, the panthers win. No way they can win, according to that poster. Brisset won't take sacks, and won't have turnovers. Time will tell.

And trust me, if Brisset sucks it up, there will be more excuses. Of course, none of them will be injury.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 08:34 PM
I think your anonymous poster is also a figment of your imagination. I haven't heard anyone say that the Browns couldn't lose.

Gotta love it when people make things up so they can have something to argue about. rolleyes
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 08:52 PM
I have a feeling you read my post with a bias in mind.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 09:04 PM
Fortunately, I spend no time worrying about your feelings or suspected biases.

As far as Browns news, Stefanski mentioned in his presser that Moore's performance at DT on scout team last season contributed to the position switch.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 09:07 PM
Brisset won't take sacks, and won't have turnovers. Time will tell.

I know that is what is claimed by many...that Brissett won't take sacks...but he did start 5 games in 2021 and was sacked 19 times...hmm.

Hopefully the Browns OLine will be on their 'A' game and keep Brissett upright and clean... thumbsup
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 09:08 PM
I'm glad you spend no time worrying about my feelings or suspected biases.

But, when you say that, you forget about the bias of that anonymous poster.

And just for pit, since he likes to log my posting history about my family. Sooga had a 3.8 gpa.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 09:09 PM
So weird.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 09:17 PM
I don't log it or even care about it. But of course you don't seem to comprehend context. You asserted that if I had made any contributions or donated time to a certain cause I would have posted it. Since it seems I have to spell it out for you, my point was you share a lot more of your personal information like your Church work, family life, charities you help your church with and so on. I on the other hand not so much. There's nothing wrong with you doing it. A lot of posters share lots of personal information. That's their choice. But claiming you "know me well enough that I would have posted it" is wrong and a lie. I rarely ever post anything about such personal things. That's why I said, "maybe you but not me".

Hopefully the meaning sinks in this time since I had to spell it out for you.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 09:21 PM
So, they guy that sits on here 15 hours out of the day, DOES log everything.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 09:44 PM
This young lady has been to every practice and has some interesting notes.

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 11:09 PM
Quincy Carrier is the best. Also, Camryn Justice is a really good Browns reporter.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by mac

I know that is what is claimed by many...that Brissett won't take sacks...but he did start 5 games in 2021 and was sacked 19 times...hmm.

Hopefully the Browns OLine will be on their 'A' game and keep Brissett upright and clean... thumbsup

mac, no one said that. Certainly, there were not many who said that. I know I have addressed the topic. I said that I think JB will take fewer needless sacks and throw probably not throw as many pics. There is a small group of posters who deliberately misquote people. It is what it is.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 11:39 PM
This young lady has been to every practice and has some interesting notes.

Cliff notes:

Brissett and Cooper seem to have a strong connection. Brissett and DPJ seem to be headed in the right direction. Connections with TEs look pretty solid, Felton has looked decent as a plug and play option... Camp has looked much better than preseason ball would indicate.

JOK and Emerson have looked explosive and very "aware"... making good decisions.

Delpit has looked really good and been a bit of a ball-hawk. Needs to stay healthy.

D'Anthony Bell looks more impressive by the day. Has definitely earned his spot. May have found a home with some snaps as a slot defender, his skillset matches.

Backend is improved enough to give Garrett those extra split-seconds to set him up for a career year.

Garrett has been more "hands-on" in his leadership role.

Sure, Baker comment gives the defense motivation, but the sentiment seems to be "what else would he say?".

Under the radar gems on offense: "Michael Woods is one of those guys, standout guy that could make an impact in WR room... He's got the size, he's got the skillset, he's got the hands and has been getting good separation".

All in all, beyond Cooper and DPJ, WRs are a bunch of JAGS. There is versatility, speed and size; but nothing that really stands out. She wouldn't be surprised to see someone else brought in... Maybe not an elite talent, but someone who is proven. Someone who's "been there done that" and you can rely on.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by mac

mac, no one said that. Certainly, there were not many who said that. I know I have addressed the topic. I said that I think JB will take fewer needless sacks and throw probably not throw as many pics. There is a small group of posters who deliberately misquote people. It is what it is.
You are already quoted as saying Brisset won't take sacks, and won't throw interceptions.

You've also allowed yourself an escape IF he sucks. Can't have it both ways. Hoping Brisset does well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 11:45 PM
FWIW: I believe Baker.

Baker Mayfield: I never said I’m going to f—k Browns up
Posted by Josh Alper on August 31, 2022, 4:34 PM EDT

NFL: AUG 26 Preseason - Bills at Panthers
Getty Images
Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield will be facing his former team in Week 1 and he’s admitted that the game means something extra because of how his time with the Browns came to an end.

Mayfield denies that extra emotion led him to tell Cynthia Frelund of NFL Media that he is going to “[censored] them up” in the season opener. Frelund relayed the quote during a recent podcast appearance and it drew enough attention on Tuesday that Mayfield was asked about it on Wednesday.

Mayfield said he always wants to win, but that he never said what Frelund quoted him as saying.

“First, I didn’t say it,” Mayfield said, via Joe Person of TheAthletic.com. “Obviously everybody’s going to write whatever story they want, there’s history that I played there the last four years. I’m an extremely competitive person. Everybody knows that. If I wasn’t wanting to win then there would be a really big issue with me being the quarterback here. I want to win in everything I do. That’ll never change. That is not how I phrased it. It’s not even what I said.”

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett said “we’ll take it and we’ll use it” in reference to Mayfield’s purported quote about the matchup, but one imagines there wasn’t much need for extra motivation to kick off the season with a strong performance against the former Brown.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-i-never-said-im-going-to-f-k-browns-up/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 08/31/22 11:58 PM
This isn't the entire article, but here is some news that I don't think was posted yet. You can click on the link to read the the other parts.

The biggest news of the day was that RT Jack Conklin returned to practice with the team. While he was activated from the PUP list weeks ago, Conklin’s participation in team activities has been minimal.

It is still possible that he is not available for games early this season but today was a good step in the right direction. The odds of Conklin starting in Week 1 are much higher with this news.

Winovich Returns As Well

A player who could have had his roster spot in danger after missing time due to injury, DE Chase Winovich returned to the field today as well. Winovich fills the speedy pass rusher role held by Takk McKinley last season and should slot in behind Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney.

Rookies Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas provide solid, young depth behind those three veterans.

Three Key Contributors Sit Due to Injury Concerns

According to Fred Greetham of The OBR, OL Wyatt Teller (knee), CB A.J. Green (hip) and S Ronnie Harrison (hamstring) all sat out practice with injury concerns.

With a week and a half until Week 1’s matchup with Carolina, the team will likely be cautious with injuries.

Two Sit for Rest Purposes

Also sitting out, according to Greetham, were DE Jadeveon Clowney and OL Chris Hubbard but both were noted for rest purposes.

Clowney and Hubbard have struggled with injuries throughout their careers so rest days make sense for the veterans.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wednesday-browns-updates-rochell-cut-213101464.html
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 12:01 AM
It seems like Clowney get a ton of rest days.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 01:50 AM
I agree. I love the job our FO is doing for the most part, .
How about what the team is doing on the field, the performance of the team on the field.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 02:14 AM
j/c...

Schwartz might be my new Hollywood Higgins "soft spot for a player."

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 03:09 AM
Bernie has a new podcast...

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 04:58 AM
j/c...

I can't believe Cooper said that about certain teammmates.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 09:02 AM
Quincy Carrier is the best. Also, Camryn Justice is a really good Browns reporter.

Quincy spends to much time wiping his nose with the back of his wrist and yawns a lot.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 09:30 AM
Moore sounds like the perfect anchor on a D line. Making the switch from O-line to D isn't all that hard. The "playbook" for a DT isn't anywhere near as much of a challenge as it is for a O lineman. I am not saying it won't take adjustment and some time, but I like the idea we are giving it a shot. To me that is what the practice squad is for...at least a slot or two. Take a shot on developing a player for a position change.

It's a passing league, but we get gashed up the middle a lot. I am just old fashioned I guess, but to me a team needs that 1 "big" on the DL who commands 2 blockers on the inside run, and even then doesn't move all that much.

If a Dline can dictate which way a team has to run between the tackles, it makes defending the run a whole lot simpler. With his size and the speed of a guard, he should be able to get some push up the middle with a bull rush. Sure, everybody wants a Aaron Donald type player but when you get down to it guys like that don't come around all that often.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 03:53 PM
j/c...

Me neither... because, you know, that's him saying his teammates "don't want to win".
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
So, they guy that sits on here 15 hours out of the day, DOES log everything.

Yet another lie. I'm on here generally about mid morning to sometime early in the afternoon. But there's these things called tabs on your browser. You can switch back and forth between sites reading news and posting other places at the same time. Us common folk use those. If your math skills are so poor you can't tell the difference between 4 and 15 that's a you problem. But ignore what I posted because it's accurate and keep making it personal. That's all you ever do when confronted with the facts. You don't have to log anything if your memory isn't shot to hell. You post a lot about your current life. I don't. Now come back and lie in another personal attack. That's pretty much all you got.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 04:50 PM
j/c...

Me neither... because, you know, that's him saying his teammates "don't want to win".

Wow, the last guy that said that was ragged on unmercifully as anti-team as he was run out of town by the haters. I guess we have a two-tier system on this forum just like in politics. Some players are allowed to express facts while others are not - shameful.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
j/c...

Wow, the last guy that said that was ragged on unmercifully as anti-team as he was run out of town by the haters. I guess we have a two-tier system on this forum just like in politics. Some players are allowed to express facts while others are not - shameful.

I think cooper was saying that in general not about his teammates
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 04:55 PM
We have a ton of football topics going on and the BM Club chooses to talk about other posters.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 05:03 PM
Just put them on ignore. That seems to be your go to.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 06:04 PM
j/c...

So, what you're selling is that of all the teams in the NFL, this generality doesn't apply to any of the Cleveland Browns? That the 53 players rostered, past and present, are all of the highest point of dedication (even the ones who don't know the playbook after more than a year) and none of them fall within the parameters of the general comment (without naming any names that both players commented on) about their peers?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 06:07 PM
Yeah, it was confined to only players on the other 31 NFL rosters. It's not about what was said. It's about who is saying it which will be reflected by the comments or lack of comments to what he said. We know the reactions will always differ depending on who says things.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 06:29 PM
If the Browns lose to Baker and Carolina, no one should be shocked. Look at their history in opening games since they returned. I will have a good laugh at their expense since I do think they did Baker wrong. Anyone with half a brain could see that he should NOT have been on the field last season. Further, I could care less what the player said. The HEAD COACH (the leader of the TEAM) should have looked out for the best interests of the TEAM and fielded the best player for the TEAM. Baker was NOT that guy. How Dumbfanski failed to realize this is beyond me and I hold him solely responsible. Between his questionable personnel and play calling decisions he has A LOT to prove to me if he intends to stick around. This season is basically a wasted season for a team that has some pretty good talent but will be lacking at QB. I hope Watson gets up to speed with his limited time in 2022 and the Browns are ready to go in 2023. Watson MUST deliver a Super Bowl to Cleveland or his acquisition will go down as one of THE dumbest moves ever in Cleveland sports history. And we all know there have been some REALLY dumb moves. Only in Cleveland. SMH
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 08:55 PM
j/c...

Or, maybe he was referring to players on the cowboys
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 09:20 PM
Could be - but it doesn't matter. A different player who was at that time on the Browns roster, said essentially the exact same thing, except with the addition of saying he didn't know how to motivate players who were thinking like that. That interview and those sentiments were used by one particular poster to absolutely crucify BM. But now, different player, same sentiments and it's no big deal.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter one bit. BM isn't on the team. No-one is hating on Cooper and rightly so. The only reason a couple of posters have commented on this is because of complete and total hypocrisy that we see week in and week out from the Baker Hater who still can't stop himself from being the main instigator of posts about BM.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 09:48 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 09:58 PM

A football post? Is that allowed?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 10:00 PM
Quit being an ass.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 10:24 PM
Could be - but it doesn't matter. A different player who was at that time on the Browns roster, said essentially the exact same thing, except with the addition of saying he didn't know how to motivate players who were thinking like that. That interview and those sentiments were used by one particular poster to absolutely crucify BM. But now, different player, same sentiments and it's no big deal.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter one bit. BM isn't on the team. No-one is hating on Cooper and rightly so. The only reason a couple of posters have commented on this is because of complete and total hypocrisy that we see week in and week out from the Baker Hater who still can't stop himself from being the main instigator of posts about BM.

It's not necessarily hypocrisy. The only players Baker referred to were Cleveland Browns, because he was talking about players he's played with directly. Cooper, who's on his 3rd team, was referring to players in general. It wasn't "essentially the exact same thing".
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 10:27 PM
Quit being an ass.

I'm offended
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 10:37 PM
Sure - if you want to find the finest, thinnest hair on the planet and split it, maybe you could make that argument. I think it's a really weak argument, but we can debate the definition of "is" and split hairs. Or we can be honest and say that by and large the sentiments expressed were identical. There are players in the NFL that are out to make a paycheck and don't care too much about anything else... When BM made the comment as part of a very long podcast, he was vilified for it. No-one said "well maybe he was talking about ex-Browns players that aren't on the team".
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 11:00 PM
Quit being an ass.

I'm offended

You should be.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 11:27 PM
j/c...

NEWS FLASH:

There are players on every roster playing for a check. Baker didn't say anything everyone didn't already know... nor did Coop. Both are non-stories, but when Baker said it there was outrage...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/01/22 11:33 PM
j/c:

Not sure if this was reported, but it is really good news and it is about the topic of the thread.

Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 01:37 AM
Sure - if you want to find the finest, thinnest hair on the planet and split it, maybe you could make that argument. I think it's a really weak argument, but we can debate the definition of "is" and split hairs. Or we can be honest and say that by and large the sentiments expressed were identical. There are players in the NFL that are out to make a paycheck and don't care too much about anything else... When BM made the comment as part of a very long podcast, he was vilified for it. No-one said "well maybe he was talking about ex-Browns players that aren't on the team".

Finest, thinnest hair my arse. Baker was calling out Browns team mates, Cooper was talking about those types of players in general. Pretending there isn't a difference to make an argument is what's weak.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 01:41 AM
He is doing what he always does. Starting trouble and feeding his obsession w/me. It's weird as can be.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 01:49 AM
[/quote]

Finest, thinnest hair my arse.[/quote]

This sentence struck me as funny. smile
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 01:57 AM
LOL
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 02:26 AM
J/C

Jesse James gives us an idea at the type of TE we need. A blocking one. We have two good WR/TE types (and even Njoku improved his blocking a ton last year)
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by jfanent

Finest, thinnest hair my arse. Baker was calling out Browns team mates, Cooper was talking about those types of players in general. Pretending there isn't a difference to make an argument is what's weak.

Don't forget that only happened after OBJ came out of nowhere and had his daddy throw baker under the bus. And Baker was right, OBJ was mailing in the whole time he was here. OBJ is a fraud.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 02:53 AM

Hmmm, how do you know? How do you know that Cooper wasn't referring to other players on the Browns right now that are not putting out the same effort as Schwartz? Did Cooper say in his statement that his comments were directed at other teams? Hell no, he didn't. That's just an assumption on your part because you have a 2-tier system of looking at players. Now you can pretend that Cooper wasn't inclusive in his comment about the players or not, but the fact still remains that we have people on this forum that chastised a player for saying the EXACT same phrase in the same context and those same people ignoring that fact are hypocritical at its highest level and shameful at best.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 02:59 AM

Exactly. Baker made his comments after coming off four up and down seasons where he said a lot of dumb things in public settings, had multiple beefs with reporters/talking heads, did not get supported by his teammates during the falling out with OBJ, and while he and his wife were spending way too much time on social media...often airing their grievances about how badly Baker was treated. In other words, they always have something to say. Pretty soon that always having something to say just keeps piling up on top of each other, and people start to develop an opinion about the person.

Cooper, by all accounts, has done none of that and is somewhat soft spoken and mild mannered. He tried as delicately as possible to get his point across without being brash and offensive. If Baker had spent a minute of his professional career trying to be more thoughtful and less brash and offensive, no one would have cared about what he said.

Other than that, it's splitting hairs. LOL

I can't believe some of the arguments on here by the Baker fans. They are truly the definition of non-sensical.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 03:00 AM
I don't know about all that, but what I DO know is when someone "joe blow cares" what it means is "he's my team mate, and he hasn't shown jack yet."
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes Cont... - 09/02/22 03:08 AM

Don't forget that only happened after OBJ came out of nowhere and had his daddy throw baker under the bus. And Baker was right, OBJ was mailing in the whole time he was here. OBJ is a fraud.

The real irony of the situation is that last year we had a player make that comment that was ridiculed by the forum fan base unmercifully and now 10 months later, we have another player that wasn't even associated with the team 10 months ago making the exact same comment. Maybe the problem is within the walls of Berea and not the individuals calling it out. Maybe, just maybe, we have witnessed two individuals with the fortitude to step forward and expose the cancer within the walls that the FO and coach pretend they don't see. It's clear that those individuals that were so outraged 10 months ago on this forum are perfectly ok with another player calling out the same issue as their silence so clearly exhibits.
© DawgTalkers.net