Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I agree. Wow. I mean if Florio says so

Sam Darnold is 10x worse than Jacoby Brisseft. Darnold should not be in the NFL.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Sam Darnold is 10x worse than Jacoby Brisseft. Darnold should not be in the NFL.

I was listening to something from Carolina's camp yesterday or the day before. They were talking about how since 2018, Baker has the most interceptions of any qb in the NFL and Darnold was 2nd. That should make Panther fans feel all warm and fuzzy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by cfrs15
What Watson should have said, “I put out a statement via the team and I’ll stand by that.”

What Watson did say, “LeRoy Jenkins!”

He needs to do what you follow your first statement moving forward. Hopefully time will ease the sting of yesterday's comments. I will say that he can't directly apologize to the women by saying he did something wrong, because I think there is one unsettled legal case. Also, that admission would open the doors to other women wanting to file suits.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/19/22 08:01 AM.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'd hate to have DW's lawyer bills...only one other's legal bills I'd most not want to have.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I was listening to something from Carolina's camp yesterday or the day before. They were talking about how since 2018, Baker has the most interceptions of any qb in the NFL and Darnold was 2nd. That should make Panther fans feel all warm and fuzzy.

Darnold is way worse than Baker. I mean you could see it on the field the last four years as well, but them being on the same team has really highlighted it. I thought Baker would cave under the pressure of the QB comp, but it's Darnold that has. I've been following it closely. He's really bad.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree that Darnold is worse than Baker. However, neither is the answer.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Haters just gotta hate.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by steve0255
Deshaun Watson Doesn’t Get It, and Neither Do the Browns
Michael Rosenberg - Yesterday 4:07 PM

The team has forfeited its right to take moral stands down the road and shouldn’t count on its QB conducting himself with basic human decency.

Deshaun Watson still doesn’t get it, and the Browns don’t care if he does. He keeps acting like the wronged party, incapable of self-reflection, saying things he doesn’t mean and then admitting he doesn’t mean them, totally focused on advancing his own interests, and why shouldn’t he?

That’s what the Browns are paying him to do.

After the NFL and its players union settled Thursday on an 11-game suspension and $5 million fine, plus counseling, Watson walked back his phony half-apology before last week’s preseason game, saying “I’m going to continue to stand on my innocence” and that he apologized because “a lot of people that are triggered.” He said, “I have to do what’s best for Deshaun Watson at the end of the day,” like empathy is a character flaw. The Browns are suckers if they believe in him and frauds if they don’t. Which is worse?

Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam acted like not commenting on Watson’s conduct is some kind of principled position. Jimmy Haslam applauded himself for respecting the NFL’s disciplinary process as though he had a choice. He also said, “We as an organization realize how sensitive it is, how emotional it is,” which was infuriatingly condescending, the organizational equivalent of “we understand you’re mad.”

Dee Haslam kept saying “counseling is a process,” and Browns general manager Andrew Berry said, “The journey for personal growth, it’s a process.” Yeah, sure, but why did these processes have to start with a record-breaking fully guaranteed $230 million contract? Why did Jimmy Haslam say last week that Watson is “remorseful” when Watson made it very clear Thursday that he isn’t? How did the Haslams and Berry manage to stand up there when they clearly have no backbone?

The Browns are trying to rationalize their way to a championship, and they think we’re too gullible to see it.

When they acquired Watson in March, they did not insist he express a shred of contrition. They let Watson define their stance on Watson, and they still do. Never mind that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell called Watson’s actions “predatory.” Never mind that, in suspending Watson for six games, league disciplinary officer Sue L. Robinson wrote that his “pattern of behavior was egregious,” “predatory,” showed “reckless disregard,” and that “Watson engaged in sexual assault (as defined by the NFL)” against four massage therapists.

Hell, never mind anything Watson says. It’s all out of convenience, anyway.

In March, after the trade, he said he had no interest in settling the lawsuits that had been filed against him: “My intent is to clear my name as much as possible, and that’s what I’m focused on.” He has since settled 23 of them.

In March, he said, “I don’t have any regrets. ... The hardest part is having everyone come at me from different directions and not being able to speak about it because of the ongoing investigations.” Then, after Robinson cited his “lack of expressed” remorse as a contributing factor in suspending him for six games, he told the league’s TV network, “Look, I want to say that I’m truly sorry to all of the women that I have impacted in this situation. The decisions that I made in my life that put me in this position, I would definitely like to have back.”

By Thursday, Watson was back to clearing his name again.

“People deserve second chances,” Jimmy Haslam said. “I struggle a little bit: Is he never supposed to play again?”

That’s a good question. But let’s say, for argument’s sake, that Watson is supposed to play again. Why do the Browns have to completely kowtow to him?

Berry said people shouldn’t be “defined by the mistakes that they made,” but Watson says he didn’t make any mistakes. Dee Haslam said, “We can talk about Deshaun or we can talk about the major issues the country faces” with sexual assault, as though it’s one or the other. Jimmy Haslam said the Browns want Watson to be the best player he can be and “more importantly, be the best person he can be.” I did not realize the Browns are paying Watson $230 million to be his guidance counselor.

We have seen many instances of a team acquiring a player with a criminal or immoral past, acknowledging that the player had misbehaved but arguing that he deserved a chance to resume his career. This was not one of those cases. The Browns begged Watson to be the face of their franchise.

They sent three first-round picks, a third rounder and two fourth rounders to Houston for Watson and a sixth rounder. Then they negotiated with him like he was a coveted free agent instead of a disgraced player under contract. The Browns signed Watson to a deal that included a 2022 salary of $1.035 million, which would conveniently save Watson from losing too much money when he was suspended. Berry gave the not-very-believable explanation that they structured the contract this way for salary-cap reasons.

The Browns could say the contract was a condition of Watson waiving his no-trade clause. This only affirms how wrong they were to do it. The one outcome they couldn’t stomach was him going to another team, and so they let him dictate all the terms.

Organizations need to treat stars like valuable, intelligent parts of the operation. The Browns are treating Watson like a monarch. They could have made a public apology as a condition of his signing, even if it was a vague one. Instead, when Watson used his introductory press conference to say he did nothing wrong and had no regrets, the Browns verbally supported that contention.

“We felt good about Deshaun as a person,” Berry said then. “We felt good about what we learned about the cases where we felt comfortable bringing him into the building. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t have made the trade.”

Five months have passed. The Browns look worse than ever. They are counting on Watson conducting himself with basic human decency when he returns, and also on him playing at an MVP level. But what if he doesn’t?

Have the Browns considered that their own city will turn on them if Watson is just pretty good and the team struggles? Have they thought about how Watson, who was beloved by fan bases in Houston and at Clemson, might handle getting booed at home? Or what they are doing to the rest of the organization, from employees who are appalled that Watson is the face of the franchise to the poor social media staffer stuck with writing “do we want people to read this or not?” headlines such as this?

The Browns have forfeited the right to take moral stands down the road. They have signaled to their roster that misconduct will be tolerated, maybe ignored completely. They are building their team around a player who says we shouldn’t judge his innocence “just because settlements and things like that happen.”

Jimmy Haslam says the team is comforted by Watson’s “track record prior to these events,” before quickly adding, “I’m not at all minimizing the ‘this.’” But, of course, the Browns are minimizing the allegations against Watson, because Watson insists upon it. The Haslam's might own the Browns, but Watson owns them now. They can only hope he treats them well. Given his … um, track record, I wouldn’t count on it.

This is the problem when leaders trying to defend something that isn’t defendable, they end up in contradictions and suddenly they don’t even know why and what it is they’re trying to defend.

When will these people ever learn?

Last edited by Floquinho; 08/19/22 09:14 AM.
Legend
Legend
J/c

FWIW I’d rather have Brissett than Darnold. And I’d probably rather have Jimmy G than Brissett (but only slightly).

But all 3 stink in the scheme of things lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
After that it is unrealistic to demand wins. You do watch football and understand how things can go...right?

Aren't you the same guy that preached for years that anything short of a Superbowl win is a failed season? And you think the browns paid 230 million dollars for five failed seasons?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
There were a couple of reporters who kept after him about his apology and the regret angle. He finally looked completely confused and uttered those dumb-ass statements that people are going to use against him.

Poor DW. It was someone elses fault that he said he was sorry that those women were triggered and he was innocent. I didn't really need to put that in purple did I?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
No one has to. It's a personal choice. You either root for the team or you don't.

You can't seem to comprehend the huge difference in rooting for a team and being a fan *fanatic*.

It's just odd that some want to make supporters of the Browns miserable on a Browns message board. Our own fans talk more smack in the used to be Pure Football forum than opposing fans talk about the Browns in the Smack Shack. We already have guys wanting everyone fired and whining about how we sold our souls. LMAO.......oh, the drama!

Some people are willing to point out the very facts of Sue Robinson's ruling, you remember, the one you claimed you would accept? Rather than man up and accept what all went down you wish to blame the press, the league and everyone else but watson. Then you accuse others of creating drama. As your above post plainly points out, you've been doing more whining about this than anyone on this board. You've been wrong about this from day 1 and you love to try to deny that by shifting the blame on everyone but yourself.

Watson was found to be a predator and a liar. You hate that. That's a you issue.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm just glad we got rid of an immature QB for a more mature one for only 240 mill, -11 games, a season accrued, and 3 fewer draft picks.

Superbowl baby!

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
jc -

I just watched the presser with the Haslams and Berry.

1. Yowsers. Talk about uncomfortable. I was uncomfortable watching it.

2. You can tell which reporters are Baker fans ...Trotter, Reiter, Schudel. You can feel it oozing out of their pores.

3. You can tell who is the lowest of the low at their profession ... Grossi, MKC, and Ridenour. They don't care who the quarterback is or whether the Browns are good or bad, they just want drama. I actually think they prefer the Browns are bad. I believe Grossi has one of the lowest IQs I've ever witnessed.

4. You can tell which reporters are respected in their profession...Donovan. I can just imagine what he thinks of the others.

You can tell who tries to shift the blame on everyone else for what watson said.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm just glad we got rid of an immature QB

We agree on this much.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't type in purple. My comment was more along the lines of WOW, then making fun of florio. I don't want Darnold.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Did Deshaun Watson dupe NFL into thinking he was accepting responsibility?

Last Friday, with a settlement of the Deshaun Watson‘s disciplinary case suddenly a possibility, the Browns quarterback for the first time apologized to the women “impacted” by his behavior. Immediately after resolving the situation on Thursday, Watson issued a statement in which he accepted accountability for his decisions.

Then, he basically said, “Psych!”

Like a criminal defendant who signs a plea agreement before proclaiming he didn’t do it, Watson insisted that he’s innocent during an ill-advised press conference. His agent, David Mulugheta, after deleting a tweet that attacked the ruling of Judge Sue L. Robinson that Watson didn’t appeal, tweeted that Watson has always stated that he is innocent.

That’s not what Judge Robinson found. In the decision that the NFLPA urged the NFL to accept, she found that Watson violated the Personal Conduct Policy in three different ways, by committing four instances of non-violent sexual assault. She found that his behavior was “egregious” and “predatory.” And now, after agreeing to a deal that extended her punishment by five games and added a fine of $5 million, Watson and Mulugheta have retreated to the long-held insistence that Watson didn’t do anything wrong.

The league has not yet responded to an email from PFT posing the simple question of whether Watson’s remarks constitute a violation of the terms of the settlement. Maybe he hasn’t violated the deal yet, but the “I didn’t do it” attitude doesn’t bode well for one specific aspect of the terms of the deal.

As noted by Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, as part of an inherently contradictory stream of tweets and retweets that both carry water for Watson and dump it on his head, “Watson has to comply with [evaluation] and treatment recommendations of a third-party behavioral expert to be reinstated,” and his “reinstatement is contingent upon his compliance with the treatment plan.”

“If he doesn’t comply, his reinstatement could be delayed, plus further discipline,” Schefter says.

The evaluation and treatment should include frank, direct questions for Watson as to whether he truly accepts responsibility for his behavior. Whether he acknowledges that he engaged in non-violent sexual assault. Judge Robinson found that his “categorical denial” wasn’t truthful. She also found that his claim that he never got an erection during a massage was flat-out false, given that multiple massage therapists who vouched for him acknowledged that he became aroused during massages that they provided to him.

That’s why we shouldn’t assume Watson automatically will be back in Week 13 at Houston. If/when the person providing him with evaluation and/or treatment plays the video from today’s press conference and Watson doesn’t have a persuasive explanation for his decision to insist on his innocence, it’s possible that Watson won’t receive the appropriate certification to return and play.

It’s not some small issue. As noted by Schefter, the league viewed Watson’s apology from last Friday as an “important first step.” Today, he took three steps back.

Our guess? If he doesn’t make a clear and unequivocal public statement of responsibility before Week 13, there’s a chance he won’t be playing for the Browns when they visit the Texans.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...hinking-he-was-accepting-responsibility/

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Did Deshaun Watson dupe NFL into thinking he was accepting responsibility?

Last Friday, with a settlement of the Deshaun Watson‘s disciplinary case suddenly a possibility, the Browns quarterback for the first time apologized to the women “impacted” by his behavior. Immediately after resolving the situation on Thursday, Watson issued a statement in which he accepted accountability for his decisions.

Then, he basically said, “Psych!”

Like a criminal defendant who signs a plea agreement before proclaiming he didn’t do it, Watson insisted that he’s innocent during an ill-advised press conference. His agent, David Mulugheta, after deleting a tweet that attacked the ruling of Judge Sue L. Robinson that Watson didn’t appeal, tweeted that Watson has always stated that he is innocent.

That’s not what Judge Robinson found. In the decision that the NFLPA urged the NFL to accept, she found that Watson violated the Personal Conduct Policy in three different ways, by committing four instances of non-violent sexual assault. She found that his behavior was “egregious” and “predatory.” And now, after agreeing to a deal that extended her punishment by five games and added a fine of $5 million, Watson and Mulugheta have retreated to the long-held insistence that Watson didn’t do anything wrong.

The league has not yet responded to an email from PFT posing the simple question of whether Watson’s remarks constitute a violation of the terms of the settlement. Maybe he hasn’t violated the deal yet, but the “I didn’t do it” attitude doesn’t bode well for one specific aspect of the terms of the deal.

As noted by Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, as part of an inherently contradictory stream of tweets and retweets that both carry water for Watson and dump it on his head, “Watson has to comply with [evaluation] and treatment recommendations of a third-party behavioral expert to be reinstated,” and his “reinstatement is contingent upon his compliance with the treatment plan.”

“If he doesn’t comply, his reinstatement could be delayed, plus further discipline,” Schefter says.

The evaluation and treatment should include frank, direct questions for Watson as to whether he truly accepts responsibility for his behavior. Whether he acknowledges that he engaged in non-violent sexual assault. Judge Robinson found that his “categorical denial” wasn’t truthful. She also found that his claim that he never got an erection during a massage was flat-out false, given that multiple massage therapists who vouched for him acknowledged that he became aroused during massages that they provided to him.

That’s why we shouldn’t assume Watson automatically will be back in Week 13 at Houston. If/when the person providing him with evaluation and/or treatment plays the video from today’s press conference and Watson doesn’t have a persuasive explanation for his decision to insist on his innocence, it’s possible that Watson won’t receive the appropriate certification to return and play.

It’s not some small issue. As noted by Schefter, the league viewed Watson’s apology from last Friday as an “important first step.” Today, he took three steps back.

Our guess? If he doesn’t make a clear and unequivocal public statement of responsibility before Week 13, there’s a chance he won’t be playing for the Browns when they visit the Texans.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...hinking-he-was-accepting-responsibility/

I don't care at this point .... time to move on. The NFL sought and imposed a much stiffer penalty than the one Sue Robinson handed down. What happens now is all about what Watson does moving forward not what he's said or not said previously.

Watson gets judged moving forward on his actions and words ... he clearly has not apologized or taken ownership for his actions which may impact or restrict any progress counselling and help that he has been instructed to undertake. Let's see if the man can move on and past these events, lets see if he can deal with these same questions being asked by every team, let's see if he treats the Browns better than he treated the Texans as an organization.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So what he said yesterday makes no difference because "it's in the past"? Really? Yesterday?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's not as bad as or worse than what he has been found guilty of. The only thing it did was verify that he doesn't own his actions or think he did anything wrong. I think that's a problem - but no, it changes nothing.

Last edited by mgh888; 08/19/22 12:59 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it will for the NFL. Can you imagine them letting him play again having said this? I understand that there is still a case pending so it constrains what he can say. But what he said yesterday were things he can't say. I think his only choice is to do anything and everything he can do to settle this final lawsuit. Unless of course more lawsuits come to the surface. Because if after his original 11 game suspension he still doesn't take full accountability for his actions I can't see the league allowing him to take the field. Taking accountability is the first step he must take in order to move forward in any positive way. So far he can't even do that. So yes, it's a big deal. It's merely a continuation of what he has done.

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by mgh888
It's not as bad as or worse than what he has been found guilty of. The only thing it did was verify that he doesn't own his actions or think he did anything wrong. I think that's a problem - but no, it changes nothing.

It's a concern that he hasnt learned the lesson and may continue the behavior that got him in trouble to start with. Since it isn't his fault anyway.

Maybe we can take up a collection to send a few posters to school to learn Massage Therapy so we don't have to worry about anything else being reported in the future. /s

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson in perpetuum et unum diem

Link Copied to Clipboard