Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1963651 08/18/22 04:50 PM
F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F
I am not sure if this fits here, and I even went back a couple pages looking for a prior JG thread in Pro football forum and tailgate and did not see one. I was listening to 92.3 while i was walking this afternoon (Dustin Fox and some other guy) and they were "riding the Jimmy G train" insisting that JB will not lead the Browns to success, and the Browns must acquire JG to play at least 8 of the 11 suspended games. The season is lost with JB playing 11 games. To them, JB on his best day, is as good as Baker on his worst day. Not sure I agree with that, but I am not a QB evaluator.

MY first point was that the NFL is not fantasy football. They spoke as if it was done and if the Browns chose to pursue JG, the 49ers would of course oblige. Never, did they mention what the 49ers would require for us to obtain him, or even if JG wants to play here knowing it will be about 1/2 season.

Since we were at the mercy of other teams when we wanted to trade Baker, we absolutely must be at the 9ers mercy trying to get JG. WE have no 1st round picks the next 2 drafts and IIRC either a 2 or 3 in the next 2 years is gone, also, just what do we have to give up for a 1/2 season rent a player and will it be worth it.

The 92.3 guys say JG's contract is up after this season and surely, he will move on.

Anyone hear any rumors of what he would cost and if you are willing to give that up for 8 games?

I am not advocating for this, but it sounded like a bad idea depending on what we give up vs what we get.

Your thoughts?

Legend
Legend
Well, there's this...

There's also the fact that the Browns are running short on assets and the Niners are expecting at least a 3rd in return.

The fact that Jimmy, although his trade clause has expired, would likely hate the idea of coming to play in Cleveland for 11 games... and the 49ers have made casual mention of "working with him to find a suitable destination.

Besides, Berry has been texting and calling for days on end and Jimmy won't respond.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Legend
Legend
T
No player can help the Browns dysfunction.
They should have kept their own guys, their own team together.

Does anyone think they can start better than I-6?

One and six with Brissett, ... 3 and 6 if Garoppolo.
either way,
the dysfunction
they idiocy
the losing
the instability will continue.

Keep Your Team Together.
??
No X It --- We'll fix it again, we'll fix it right this time.

Keep your team together.
??
No, screw it, we just ain't tried the right new guy yet.
Keep your team together.
??
Besides what do you know anyway, We'll throw money at the problem.
Hoorah

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
JG won't want to come here knowing he'll be replaced after 11 games. I'm afraid we'll have to play with whom we have.

2 members like this: PerfectSpiral, Versatile Dog
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
We are tossing out a year most likely, the question is how expensive is this going to be for us. Can we salvage it, if so how much will that add to our cost this year? We were built to win, I wonder what we will look like a year from now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
JG won't want to come here knowing he'll be replaced after 11 games. I'm afraid we'll have to play with whom we have.

JG doesn't really have a choice except for holding out which would be stupid on his part. What he won't do is take less than the 24.2M he's under contract to play for in 2022.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
A
Legend
Legend
A
And I have to ask, how much money are the Browns will to throw away at the qb position in what likely will be a losing year?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I don't think Jimmy G would want to come here. I wouldn't if I were him. His salary is around $25 million, and I doubt he would rework it. I was thinking about acquiring Jimmy G if he reduced his salary, but w/the suspension at 11 games, he would be dumb to agree to a reduced amount of money.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog

JG doesn't really have a choice except for holding out which would be stupid on his part. What he won't do is take less than the 24.2M he's under contract to play for in 2022.

I'm sure if the idea was floated, Garoppolo would quickly supply a 32 item PowerPoint presentation to Shanahan explaining why he would like to go anywhere but Cleveland. Shanny would obviously relate.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
IMO Jimmy G isn’t a huge upgrade over Brissett. He may garner us one more win or whatever, but they’re both not good QBs lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
The week following the NFL trade deadline (Nov 1) is the Browns' bye week, leaving 3 games before Watson's presumed return. The Browns could promise Garoppolo a trade at that time and, IMO, have a chance at 2-3 more wins at that point of the season. That would leave 3 games in Brissett's hands before the Houston game. Garoppolo + Brissett/Watson could be the difference between what ends up being an 11 or 12 win season vs what would be an 8-9 win season with just Brissett/Watson - again, JMO.

And all that assumes Watson is in compliance with the NFL's expectations re: counseling, which might be doubted based on his continued lack of remorse and/or sense of responsibility, as indicated by his comments today.

Last edited by Dave; 08/18/22 07:01 PM. Reason: math fail on record
L
Legend
Legend
L
Jimmy G isn’t going to be a Brown, imo.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, and with his reported work ethic....who would want him. JMHO, Jimmy might have the RIGHT attitude, he has more money than 95% of us. He likes his off time and seems NOT to be consumed by football....and he's a Bachelor. He only has to take care of number one. Does he have anything to prove....not really. I would not want him leading my pro team.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
IMO Jimmy G isn’t a huge upgrade over Brissett. He may garner us one more win or whatever, but they’re both not good QBs lol

I have to respectfully disagree. Jimmy G is by far a superior QB. Brissett is a good backup, Jimmy G is a good starter. I believe we could have a winning record if we traded for Jimmy. That being said we won’t be trading for him and if he is cut I doubt he gives Cleveland a thought.

#gmstrong
hitt #1963763 08/19/22 07:51 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by hitt
Agree, and with his reported work ethic....who would want him. JMHO, Jimmy might have the RIGHT attitude, he has more money than 95% of us. He likes his off time and seems NOT to be consumed by football....and he's a Bachelor. He only has to take care of number one. Does he have anything to prove....not really. I would not want him leading my pro team.

Don't let one report cloud your judgement that are based on allegations and centered around the off-season. Jimmy G was loved and respected by his teammates in SF. His work ethic was not questioned at all. He handled himself w/a ton of class after SF traded the farm to move up to #3 and draft his replacement. SF's record w/him as a starter was 35 and 15. Without him, the 49ers were 8 and 27.

Mike Florio and Chris Sims are a clown show. Don't rely on them for honest reporting.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Mike Florio thinks the Browns should trade for Darnold. That tells me he doesn't even watch football.

5 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, CapCity Dawg, jfanent
Rishuz #1963776 08/19/22 09:05 AM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If Brissett gets injured, I'd rather have Rosen than Darnold. I guess I'd rather have Dobbs than Darnold.

And Darnold was my first choice in that draft.

Legend
Legend
JG isn’t much of a upgrade. Hell, there’s probably a grocery bagger in the Clev area that could do the job for a year.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I can understand peoples interest Jimmy G. He is a player with a track record. He has won games. He is well liked and has been productive at times.

However, the Browns went after Jacoby. They looked into him and did their homework. They signed him and he has been here all through the off season.

JG will cost to get him and pay him. He has not been here. He is coming off a injury. Has not attended practice. It would take time to get him up to speed.

I can see why the Browns are not going after him. Jacoby in the end maybe the better guy for the Browns.

I am ready to roll with JB. I am willing to see what he can do with this Browns team.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you, but I will say that the our offense and SF's offense are very, very similar.

Legend
Legend
I like Jimmy G always have and I agree the offenses are similar.

If Jacoby were to get hurt. We would be hurting. So I would have no problem if they did get him but I don't see it.

I remember I was for Darnold and you liked Rosen. Humbling. Both stink. Baker beat out Darnold no problem and Darnold had been there.

Rosen looks terrible. I see nothing with him. Dobs looks better. Rosen can throw a nice ball at practice that is it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
In limited action, Dobbs looks like he could get it done. I'm higher on him than Brissett at this point, but hoping Brissett changes my mind when he finally plays. It will suck if Brissett lays an egg and we get to deal with a backup QB controversy all year.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
For myself I will hold back on JB until he plays a regular season game with this Browns offense.

I don't get to watch practice and I don't put much credence into pre-season games.

Unless he gets injured he will be the starter for 11 games. I am not in a hurry to say how he looks.

IMO the staff will tailor game plans to the players. We will run the ball. TE's will get touches. Backs will be thrown the ball. We will use movement.

JB will not be asked to throw 400 passing yards per games. Play good defense. Get pressure. Force turnovers.

On offense protect the ball. Make the easy plays. Use checkdowns. Don't be afraid to punt.

I think we will be fine. We should be in the games we play.

Legend
Legend
In limited action, Dobbs looks like he could get it done.

There's only so much value in that, though.
Limited play, as you mentioned, but also weak competition and VERY vanilla schemes meant more for evaluating personnel than defeating the opponent.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Just say no to Jimmy G. He is not worth the money he would cost us, and while it won't hurt us this year it could really hurt us next year since thats money we can't carry over to use on our cap next season

Last edited by GMdawg; 08/19/22 03:55 PM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by bonefish
I like Jimmy G always have and I agree the offenses are similar.

If Jacoby were to get hurt. We would be hurting. So I would have no problem if they did get him but I don't see it.

I remember I was for Darnold and you liked Rosen. Humbling. Both stink. Baker beat out Darnold no problem and Darnold had been there.

Rosen looks terrible. I see nothing with him. Dobs looks better. Rosen can throw a nice ball at practice that is it.

What you commented in your last 2 posts was what I had felt about JG and JB also. The radio guys just sort of irked me because they acted as if all the Browns had to was ask, and the 49ers would send us JG and the price to us was never considered. I find it interesting that some consider Baker to be borderline Pro Bowl caliber, but Jacobi is lousy. Others consider Baker near putrid and JB anything from OK to a worthy starter.

I am in no way a talent evaluator, but I do enjoy reading some of the posters'' opinions. I basically looked at JB's stats and he does have a 2-1 TD/Int ratio which I consider to be decent. I am always wishful the team does well, and I will feel that way this year. I want JB to play well even more now because some think he is barely able to play and not worthy to start.

To some of you guys that have a good knowledge of QBs, can JB hold us together or and I closing my eyes, clicking my heels together dreaming for something that will never happen?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
In limited action, Dobbs looks like he could get it done.

There's only so much value in that, though.
Limited play, as you mentioned, but also weak competition and VERY vanilla schemes meant more for evaluating personnel than defeating the opponent.

Oh, I know. But I'm not real familiar with JB and less than impressed with his stats history. So I have no choice but to be reserved. Absolutely can't just take Vers word that he's good, the source is always heavily opinionated or stuck due to bias. But like I said, in limited work, Dobbs looks the part. Also, to be fair, I'm not familiar with him at all either, but at least I've seen him play.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
So, you are resorting to the techniques of Pit and 888, now? I never once said Brissett was good. Please stop spreading lies.

Legend
Legend
Jacoby is a backup. However, he has started games. There is a record.

I think it is important to keep in mind to be on a NFL roster and drawing a paycheck. You can not be trash. You have to prove you belong on a NFL roster.

The next key factor is the roster you are on. IMO our roster is damn near as good as any in the NFL. I am not alone in feeling that way. Most analysts say the same thing.

JB is not going to carry a team like Rodgers or Brady does. But he will not be expected to. The Browns under Berry first invested in a OL. Everyone knows the strength of the team is the run game. Chubb and Hunt are the top duo in football.

We can run it. Our passing game is based upon play action. That is because teams must honor our ability to run the ball. We need to be efficient in passing not prolific.

We have a good defense that is improving as players gain experience. The secondary is outstanding. We have two former number one picks at DE.
JOK is a budding star.

I will be patient and not prejudge JB. Let's see how he plays. He is a popular player and the team backs him as do the coaches.

The old cliche play them one game at a time.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I like Jimmy G. I think he's a better than average QB but not as good as DW. That being said I'll give my opinion on the subject. #1 I don't believe JG can help us much in the short run because he has not had time with the playbook and practice with all our receivers. #2 it will cost us in more draft capitol. We already gave up a lot and shouldn't give up any more at this time IMO. #3 Jimmy G would only be a rent a player. Even if he went 9-2 when DW comes back he's going to play because he's our future and we're paying him 230 million. #4 Jimmy G knows all this so why would he want to come here? Of course, JG could take the attitude I'll go to Cleveland do the best I can and then they'll trade me next year to a team that needs a QB. That's acting like a saint. He doesn't know how he'll do here, whether he'll get hurt or not and then end up God knows where in 2023. No, I don't think JG will be coming here. We'll roll with whom we have. JMO

1 member likes this: Razorthorns
Legend
Legend
I think that pretty much covers all of it.

Of course, we could just throw a ton of money at him until he wants to be here like we did with Watson, but short of that, for the reasons you stated, I don't see him choosing to come here with all else being equal. I also don't see us trading him and tossing away more draft capital on 2022.
Of course, we probably have the best roster of any team likely to come calling once he's released, so that MAY be enough to get him to do a one year deal on the cheap(er) side of things.

I think we're just going to roll with what we have, though, unless something drops in our lap we can't pass up.
The biggest bite of all of this is how many players we have hitting their stride right now with big contracts ticking away with whom we're likely toasting a season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The biggest bite of all of this is how many players we have hitting their stride right now with big contracts ticking away with whom we're likely toasting a season.
You both nailed it. And this point here is why I doubt the DW trade will be judged as a positive when we look back in 10 years time. Clearly if you think Baker is a bum and injured 2021 Baker is the same as healthy 2021 Baker - and we have some fans that think that way - then no matter what happens with DW you will probably always justify the trade. If you think healthy Baker is a top 15 QB then maybe you feel differently.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1963951 08/19/22 09:57 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by mgh888
You both nailed it. And this point here is why I doubt the DW trade will be judged as a positive when we look back in 10 years time. Clearly if you think Baker is a bum and injured 2021 Baker is the same as healthy 2021 Baker - and we have some fans that think that way - then no matter what happens with DW you will probably always justify the trade. If you think healthy Baker is a top 15 QB then maybe you feel differently.

If Baker has a bounce back season and gets a lucrative second contract, I think you can start to have that discussion. Especially if he puts two good seasons together back to back, this season and next. But don't forget, the coach and the GM of this team...the guys that see him day in and day out...the guys that know him better than anyone on this board...were willing to burn the bridge with Baker because they believed there was a better option out there. They took his injury into consideration. They took his entire body of work into consideration. They wanted to go another route.

And while I am not happy we are wasting another year of several really good player's primes, aren't we being just a bit melodramatic about it? All these guys with the exception of Bitonio are still young. And chances are we are not winning multiple Super Bowls. If we are blessed to be in a position to win a Super Bowl, it's likely just one. There's plenty of time for that. Plus, maybe we could surprise this year, DW will get to knock the rust off at the end of the year, and hopefully go into next year in a really strong position.

Also, there seems to be this underlying assumption that if we had not made the trade and kept Baker that our chances of winning this year were high. Compare Baker to all the other AFC QBs and tell me where you'd rank him. Those are your chances.

2 members like this: bonefish, Versatile Dog
Rishuz #1963953 08/19/22 10:30 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I would rank Baker 9th or 10th in the AFC. There are 2 better QB's in our division. 4 in the West. 2 in the East and at least one in the South (Ryan). Trevor Lawerence has more upside than Baker, but I don't know if he's as good right now.

R
Legend
Legend
R
10 out of 16. There you go.

Rishuz #1963961 08/20/22 06:37 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's weird that we have posters making the Baker discussion about other posters. The posters didn't force Baker out of town. The Browns didn't give Baker a new contract after his one "good" year. They clearly wanted to upgrade the position. Who knows Baker better than the Browns decision makers? Then, the league decided that he wasn't worth paying a salary that is actually low for a starting qb. They didn't offer a decent trade package. The Browns had to pay something like $10.5 million of his salary just to get him out of the building. Meanwhile, other qbs were change teams before and after Baker was available. But yeah, let's make fun of posters who didn't think Baker was as good as others said he was. rolleyes

With that said, I actually hope he does well in Carolina. I like redemption stories. I tuned into the Panther game last night to watch him, but he didn't play. However, the home team announcers were talking about how good the qb room is and that Baker and Darnold were complimentary of each other and were getting along well. I'm paraphrasing. I thought that was a good sign and hopefully he has learned from some of his mistakes. He does have a really good arm. He's going to have to make better decisions, though. Maybe he is putting more study time in?

Rishuz #1963972 08/20/22 08:10 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
All of your points were solid but the last comment about how to rank QB's in the AFC is purely subjective and we've already established we have very different perspectives on Baker and why and when he's struggled and what his ceiling is.

Anyway - our conversation has given Vers another opportunity to try to rehash and lay some more skewed bile onto the situation, cherry picking facts while ignoring so many relevant details. BM is no longer on the team, he's not on a team I support, Vers still can't keep Baker's name out of his posts, I don't want to give him any more reason to continue to spew hate, so let's just agree to disagree and review how badly or otherwise BM is doing at the half way point of the season?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888

Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
It's weird that we have posters making the Baker discussion about other posters. The posters didn't force Baker out of town.

Can someone tell the poster with the Advanced English Degree that my post is less about Baker and not at all about who forced him out of town - it's about how posters opinion on Baker probably impacts their valuation of the Watson trade. Might want to find out where the degree is from and advise friends to avoid that institution - there has been an enormous amount of comprehension issues lately, I'd question the quality of the schooling.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Maybe he is putting more study time in?

At the end of the day, I think Baker is a good dude and probably a good leader when he's not faced with adversity. But I think he's immature. And I think the book on who Baker is as a QB is unlikely to change. He's got a plus level arm and is going to make a handful of plus level throws a game, but when it really counts, he's not going to deliver. It's like the golf phrase "you drive for show and putt for dough". For me, that's a good summation of Baker.

I've been watching some old 2020 highlights. Man, he was really good at times in the second half of that season. Probably my favorite memories of Baker is that no 3rd and long was insurmountable. He was a 3rd and long converting machine. He had a 3rd and 20 or so against the Chiefs in the playoff game that he converted to Njoku that was top 3 QB play worthy. Of course later in the game when faced with the same position when the Browns needed the play in the worst way, he had the time and woefully underthrew Njoku pretty much ending the game. Drive for show, putt for dough.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Rishuz #1964013 08/20/22 12:13 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If you think Baker is immature, what do you think about a QB who threw a tantrum by sitting out an entire season because he was not allowed to name his HC or had input on hiring his teams GM? Or a guy who has no concept of how badly he treated women to the point he won't even step up to the plate and admit he wronged them and apologize for his actions? I guess we all have our opinions on what immaturity looks like.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Razorthorns
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jimmy Garopollo

Link Copied to Clipboard