Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
After years and years of terrible offensive line play, the Browns have finally built an elite OL. They were ranked #1 overall by PFF during our playoff year. They gave our qb more time to throw than any qb in the league. Their win block rate was tops in the league. They opened up huge holes for our RBs. Last year, injuries hurt the OL a bit, but they were still ranked #8 overall by PFF. This year, PFF has ranked them #2 overall in their preseason rankings. They are the key to our success as a team.

A couple of things stand out to me. One is that Bill Callahan is a great teacher and we are so fortunate to have him. There is current OL coach in the league that I would rather have. Secondly, our o-linemen are extremely athletic. We have multiple guys who get to the second level. This allows what might have been a 3 or 4 yard gain into huge chunk plays.....envision Chubb taking one the distance. The last thing is that I love the zone blocking scheme. It requires athletic and intelligent o-linemen. It also is key to having a strong running game.

I really feel that our OL has not received their just due on this board. It's time to give them more love.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I will post the text to this article because not everyone has the time or perhaps interest to delve deeper into the article, but it would behoove you to click on the link and watch the videos, but even more importantly, the pictures that show how our ZBS works. The outside zone scheme is pretty easy to see if you read the text and view the pictures.

How Browns offensive line play leads to success: Film Review
Published: Aug. 25, 2022, 5:30 a.m.

By Lance Reisland | Special to cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Watching the Browns offensive line practice each day, it’s clear why they are successful.

They are consistent, detailed, and purposeful in every drill they do. Offensive line coach Bill Callahan is a master teacher, and is relentless at getting the most out of each of his players. This past Sunday, against the Eagles, was a great example of the culture the Browns have created in that offensive line room.

In that game, quarterback Joshua Dobbs and running back John Kelley Jr. were two players that reaped the benefits of Cleveland’s strong offensive line.

Dobbs was 14 of 20 for 141 yards passing. In two preseason games, the former Tennessee star is 24 of 33 for 249 yards with 56 yards rushing, and a touchdown both passing and rushing. Kelley had 14 carries for 66 yards rushing and added one rushing touchdown.

There are three areas that were particularly impressive from the offensive line:

1. Technique in the run game;

2. Consistent pocket for the quarterback;

3. Ability to get out in front on screen plays.

The Browns implement a diverse run scheme on a weekly basis. Against the Eagles, they were particularly successful running their outside zone and duo schemes against the different defensive fronts of Philadelphia.

In the outside zone scheme, the offensive line will look to displace the defensive line, both vertically and horizontally, to create running lanes for the running back. In the duo scheme, the offensive line will use aggressive double teams to vertically displace the defensive line and allow the running backs to find the hole or lane.

Below is a pair of pictures that show how the Browns block an outside zone play away from the tight end. The tackle will block the defensive end out as Kelley takes the handoff from Dobbs. The center and right guard will block the defensive tackle and work to the No. 1 linebacker. The backside guard and tackle will block the other defensive tackle and work to the No. 2 linebacker.

This is a foundation run in the Browns’ scheme.

Browns offensive line film review.

In the pass game, the offensive line consistently created a pocket to allow the quarterback to progress through his reads and deliver accurately thrown footballs.

When the quarterback threw the ball quickly, they used aggressive jump or quick sets to stop the movement of the defensive line and make sure their hands were down. On the longer developing pass plays, they gained great depth with kick steps and used correct hand placement to control the oncoming rush.

All of these techniques are fundamental and practiced daily, ensuring great carry over to the game field.

The athletic ability of the Brown offensive line allows it to be successful in the screen game.

The linemen do a fantastic job of selling pass first and then getting out in front of the ball carrier and creating space to run. Their ability to block smaller linebackers and defensive backs is crucial for screen success and extremely hard for offensive lineman to accomplish. Through countless repetitions at practice and excellent athletic ability, the Browns offensive line consistently makes these blocks happen.

Below is a succession of pictures that demonstrate the techniques and athletic ability of the offensive line on a screen play.

In the top picture, the offensive line does a great job of snapping up and showing pass first. This causes the defensive line to pass rush and the linebackers to drop into coverage. The second picture shows left guard Drew Forbes (79) getting to the No. 1 linebacker, center Michael Dunn (68) getting to the No. 2 linebacker, and right guard Blake Hance (52) getting to the No. 3 linebacker.

This springs rookie running back, Jerome Ford, for an 18-yard catch run on a second-and-9 play.

What we learned

The success of a football offense is totally correlated with the strength of its offensive linemen.

“It all starts up front” is the most true and honest statement a coach can make about a football team. When the offensive line struggles, so will the offense, regardless of the surrounding talent.

The Browns have a really good offensive line, a super offensive line coach, and the deepest running back room in the NFL. As Jacoby Brissett gets settled in as the starter, look for the Browns to run the ball and create manageable third down situations to allow the quarterback to have success.

Lance Reisland is the former coach at Garfield Heights High School, where he spent 18 seasons as an assistant for his father, Chuck, and four as head coach, from 2014 to 2018. In 2018, his team finished 11-1 and appeared in the OHSAA Division II regional semifinals. That team went 10-0 and made history as the first Garfield Heights team in 41 years to have an undefeated regular season along with beating Warren G. Harding for the first playoff win in school history.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...e-play-leads-to-success-film-review.html

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
2nd String
2nd String
Thank you for posting that. I suggest anyone who has the time or interest read the article via the link. There are some decent videos and diagramed pictures to see.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I really feel that our OL has not received their just due on this board. It's time to give them more love.

Honestly, we haven't seen the Browns starting OLine so far this pre-season..therefore, I'm not sure what PFF is basing their ranking for the Browns OLine on..?

They sure didn't rank the Browns OLine #2 based on their play on the field in 2022. The article is dated June 13, 2022, before our center was lost for the season.

I'll wait until there is actually some current video to judge our OLine's performance on the field before ranking them...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Just two cents of thought.

With all the speculation about trading Hunt. And the Browns making it clear they have no interest in trading him.

Why? Given all the runners we have and Hunt's pending free agency.

Just a guess. The plan is to use him. Kareem is one of the most complete backs in football. He runs with bad intent. He will throw his body into gaining an xtra yard. He is an excellent downfield blocker. He can catch the ball really well and run like the devil after the catch.

If anyone doubts his ability look at what he was doing with KC.

The Browns are very fortunate because as good as he is. It is really hard to take carries away from Nick Chubb who averages 5 yards per carry.

So, given the quarterback situation and the Browns OL. We are going to run the ball and throw it to the backs and TE's. We will use motion. We will use screens inside and outside.

Jacoby will get throws in the areas where he is most comfortable and has the best results. The key for him is "get the ball out."

He runs into trouble when he does not do that.

2022 is about using the strengths of the team.

Legend
Legend
Great thread. The line is the key to this season imo. I believe we are a great run blocking team. We have to see how our center plays in pass protection before we can say how good pass protection is. Having Teller and Bitonio next to him should make him better. Callahan coaching him up should help him as well. Wills does need to play better and I think he will.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, he had a very good run blocking PFF grade in Seattle, but a really poor pass blocking grade. I was hoping to get Teller back. I think we should be okay as long as Conklin can stay on the field. It's nice having Hubbard back for insurance.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The OL is what it is, it doesn't score points.
I wonder how the lack of a passing game is going to make the running game suddenly ineffective and asking @uestions?

I assume there will be a lack of a passing game. I assume the running game is going to have problems when defenses don't worry as much about the passing game.
I assume that everybody has a breaking point.
I assume we will see the Defenses' breaking point when, even if they continually give the ball back to the offense, the offense will be totally unable to do anything with it.
Eventually the defense will have a breaking point and (group think wise) take it's eye off the ball and start to falter.

I assume we already have or had, years and years, and even more years of film of the Browns' since I999 where all of this happens,
and significantly
where
The team loses when the offense is on the field.

I'd also assume, that after all of this evidence for all of these years, THAT, they'd maybe stop drafting DB's with all of their top draft picks, or
Wake up and realize the rules of the league are meant for teams with great offense,
so
The team invests Firstly, Primarilly, and Firstly again, always on defense,
and only gets around to help the offense, ... .... ehhh, when they uhh, when they get around to it. In the later times.

So I don't think there is any, real speculation on what is going to happen in the upcoming season, It seems pretty sure, the team?
Well they aren't built for success,
and the offense? the offense is in for another year where they will struggle mightily.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's just crazy that we have like 6 or 7 OGs' who could make an NFL roster.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Hey man. If you have time, will you please post more? You have quite a bit of football knowledge and you can help this forum become more about football.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Legend
Legend
Nice thread here because OL is the strength of our team (well, and the RB room obviously). To me, it’s all about health. If we can keep the line in tact we will be competitive. We have the best guard combo in the league and that can ease the pain of losing Harris.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Nice thread here because OL is the strength of our team (well, and the RB room obviously). To me, it’s all about health. If we can keep the line in tact we will be competitive. We have the best guard combo in the league and that can ease the pain of losing Harris.

And on that note, we will have to cut some pretty good players. I know the general feeling is to keep 8 O-linemen. I think I would bump that to 9. When a unit is a strength on your team and you are banking on that, it might be wise to take steps to keep it that way.

I can't sit here right now and say where that other cut should be, but once they are made it will be a bit easier.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, GMdawg, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yep, health is a key. Of course, it is for any position and any team. It just seems to ring very true here because of Conklin. I wonder if he participated in the 2-day scrimmages vs the Eagles?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that we will try and get Hoffman on our PS.

Bill Callahan (working with our scouts) has really boosted the deepth of talent across our OL since becoming our OL coach.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I noticed Hoffman against the Eagles. He plays very physical.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I noticed Hoffman against the Eagles. He plays very physical.

He seems to be a quick learner too, because he appears to know the offense in order to play as fast as he is.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
The good thing for us is we do have a great OL coach. We have guys that DO improve (we haven’t seen that very much with our franchise)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The good thing for us is we do have a great OL coach. We have guys that DO improve (we haven’t seen that very much with our franchise)

We could sure use a WR and DT coach to do for those positions what Bill C has done for our Oline. He must be helping the FO pick and choose these guys as well. That's not me bagging on the FO...that's me praising Bill C.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

We could sure use a WR and DT coach to do for those positions what Bill C has done for our Oline. He must be helping the FO pick and choose these guys as well. That's not me bagging on the FO...that's me praising Bill C.

I am not sure if it is the coaching as much as the scouting of the players, but something needs to change when it comes to those two positions.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Another guy who may be able to play center.

The continuing journey of OL Hjalte Froholdt
Guard/center has shown improvement

By Barry Shuck Aug 27, 2022, 7:02am EDT 0 Comments / 0 New

NFL: NOV 21 Lions at Browns
Photo by Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Needless to say, the Browns center position has been a roller coaster this year.

After J.C. Tretter was released this past off-season after eight highly-productive seasons in a cost-cutting move, his backup Nick Harris was ready to slide into the position. After some heated competition in training camp, Harris was named the starter.

Then, he tore up his knee on the second play in the first preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

His backup was veteran Ethan Pocic who the Browns signed in free agency. The five-year veteran played the remainder of the first half of the Jaguars game to which undrafted free agent Brock Hoffman took all snaps in the second half.

Into the next week of practice sixth round draft pick Dawson Deaton injured his knee as well. Both Dawson and Harris were added to IR.

Hoffman has had a lot of starts in college at the center position. Cleveland is not college.

In the second preseason game versus Philadelphia, the center positions in the first half was manned by guard Michael Dunn whereas the second half Hjalte Froholdt took every snap at center.

One thing for certain if you are an offensive lineman with the Cleveland Browns – you must have versatility in your toolbox.

On the Browns official depth chart, Dunn is listed as the backup left guard behind Pro Bowler Joel Bitonio while Froholdt is penciled in as the backup to the other Pro Bowl guard Wyatt Teller while Hoffman backs up Pocic.

The start at center for Dunn was a first on his resume. As upsetting as it was to lose Harris so early in the year, other guys are needed to step into those shoes.

Another player who found a role on this 2022 team is Froholdt.

Beginnings
Hjalte Froholdt (pronounced YELL-duh FROH-holt) was born in Svendborg, Denmark. Growing up, football was never on his mind. He had family members who played rugby and as a youngster he watched the game with enthusiasm but not necessarily with a yearning.

At the age of 12, he went out for the American Football team assuming that with all that hitting and tackling this game was the same as rugby. He made the Svendborg Admirals team but only practiced because his team did not have enough players to compete in actual games although they played 7-on-7.

As a teenager he accepted an exchange student program invitation to the United States instead of requesting places like Australia or South America. As he was growing up and was now a bigger guy, Froholdt thought American food was the better choice and heard all of their meals were supersized. Now a sophomore, he landed in Warren, Ohio to attend Harding High School. There, he had another chance to play American Football.

“Some people thought it was pretty hard to pronounce my name, so they just called me ‘Denmark,’” Froholdt told Boston.com. “But it’s not too hard. I guess I’ve had a couple (nicknames) that I really don’t quite remember.”

At Harding he played on both sides of the line plus some tight end and was also the punter. The learning curve did not come easy as the terminology of this new sport was so different than in Denmark. The players were much better athletes, had a lot more speed and could bust his butt on the ground. Froholdt then became a weight room junkie which helped him fill out his beefy frame where he was now 6’-4” and weighed 265 pounds.

After just his first season, he was already getting letters from colleges. He returned to Denmark for a full year to play for the Sollerod Gold Diggers, a U-19 team. Frodholdt then returned to the U.S., but this time landed in Bradenton, Florida where he suited up for prestigious IMG Academy.

Froholdt had numerous Power 5 offers and chose Arkansas. Now tipping the scales at 306 pounds while adding one inch, he was a starter at defensive line in his freshman campaign. The following year he was switched to offensive line where he played 25 games for the next two seasons at left guard. As a senior, in addition to his usual left guard spot he anchored the center position for three games. He was a three-year starter on the offensive line, named Second Team All-SEC plus was a team captain.

“Froholdt has primarily lined up at guard, but a move to center might give him his best shot as a pro. He has good power to absorb and neutralize at the point of attack, but there just aren’t enough wins as an in-line blocker due to his lack of push. Froholdt also struggles to protect his edges through foot quickness or functional power and he should be able to get the help he needs at center. His ability to play both guard and center strengthens his case to become a solid backup who can step in and start in a pinch.”

He was invited to the Combine where he ran a 5.2 in the 40, bench pressed 31 times, had a vertical jump of 27.5”, and a broad jump of 105 inches.

Onto the NFL
The New England Patriots selected Froholdt in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL draft listed as a guard prospect.

The plus with Frodholdt is that he can play either guard or center. He has a long torso coupled with short legs which gives him a lower center of gravity. He possesses short-area quickness with a strong core. The knock on him is that his upper-body does not match his core strength and does not remain engaged although he will win the earliest phase of the block.

Froholdt does love the game of football.

His stay with New England was brief. He become injured in the Patriots final preseason game with a shoulder injury to which he was placed on IR. In late November when he qualified to get back on the main roster coming off IR, he was waived.

Two days later, the Houston Texans claimed him where he found the COVID list followed by a short stint on the active roster followed by the club releasing him followed by being added to the practice squad.

On October 5 of last year right before the game against the Los Angeles Chargers, the Browns signed Froholdt off the Texans practice squad as Cleveland was having multiple offensive lineman issues. He was released just before the bye week, then signed to the practice squad. The club elevated him again on Christmas Eve in Week 16.

During the off-season Cleveland inked him to a reserves/futures contract.

Froholdt has had a good training camp. He has switched between right guard and center and has been pretty proficient so far while getting some reps in practices. Versatility is going to be his savior if he makes the final 53-man roster this year.

Against Philadelphia last weekend, Frodholdt had a great game. Sports Illustrated mentioned the Dane in their post-game write-up:

“Meanwhile, Hjalte Froholdt, the Danish offensive lineman also was effective at both right guard and looked the part at center. He looks like a safe bet to make the active roster to round out the offensive line room should the Browns stick with nine.”

As a run blocker Frodholdt is solid and the reason he is on the Browns roster. He is very strong and has emerged as a key backup player for both guard spots, plus being a center is a huge bonus.

This weekend he will need to play as much of the second half against Chicago as he can to prove he belongs on the active roster. Cut-down day is this upcoming Tuesday when Cleveland will need to trim their roster from 85 to 53.

Last year the Browns kept 10 offensive linemen. As the season rolled along, they needed many more as numerous starters and backups were dropping like flies. GM Andrew Berry has seen the advantage of not only having this many guys on the O-Line again this year, but keeping the ones who offer the ability to step into as many positions as needed.

This describes Frodholdt perfectly.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/8/27/23324408/the-continuing-journey-of-ol-hjalte-froholdt

T
Legend
Legend
T
@uote the article.
Froholdt has had a good training camp. He has switched between right guard and center and has been pretty proficient so far while getting some reps in practices.
------------------

He's been going up against Elliott? That's where Elliott lines up. sooo?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I am not sure if it is the coaching as much as the scouting of the players, but something needs to change when it comes to those two positions.
When it comes to WR, I feel like we never have that STUD body type (AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Ju Ju, etc) and we lose out physically.

I also think our FO devalues the DT spot so much its criminal

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...Have you seen DPJ? Body type is not his issue. Just saying.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

Losing OBJ and Landry and adding just Cooper will definitely handicap the receiver position. I simply think the receiver position will evolve into a group of specialists rather than having an elite receiver or two. In my opinion, I foresee speedy route-runners and tall good-hands receivers.

As for DT, I think the Browns are not obtaining your traditional tackle. I think Berry is focusing more on inside pass rushers. The objective is on using a combination of the middle LBs and tackles to defend specific gaps. It appears Berry is looking for quicker than size. I am thinking this is a homegrown product that will take a few seasons before it is established.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
...Have you seen DPJ? Body type is not his issue. Just saying.
Well obviously he’s got the body, but not the upward ability as the others I listed.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think it would be cool if this thread focused on the OL. We talk about the other units all the time. Our OL has been excellent. They deserve some run.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Our OL was hit by injury early in 2021. We lost Hubbard (a valuable swing man) early, then Conklin, Wills was hobbled as well. If we stay healthy we have one of the best lines in the league.

If we can throw it well enough to make other teams back off with the eight-in-the-box thing, we will bulldoze some teams.

I absolute love our guards. Bitonio is bad enough, but Wyatt Teller is bad-ass & mean.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Teller is Mr. Pancake.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I love having him on our team, man.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Dorsey got Teller and 7th round pick from Buffalo for a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder. He should be arrested for Grand Theft.

1 member likes this: mac
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yep. I know a huge Bills fan who regrets that transaction.

gmstrong

-----------------

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's why our 2021 season went belly up. How many games did we have our starting O-line intact and healthy? 4 maybe 5 games? Even games when our starters were playing, they weren't 100% Add Bakers injury to that and it's amazing how we won 8 games. This season we have the DW saga to deal with and maybe another 8-win season although that was our own doing trying to get better. I'd be inclined to wager even if we traded for DW, and he came here clean with no baggage some other unforeseen bull#$&@ would happen and we'd be behind the 8 ball again. Just some thoughts before the season begins. Can't wait!!

1 member likes this: lampdogg
Legend
Legend
Dorsey got Teller and 7th round pick from Buffalo for a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder. He should be arrested for Grand Theft.
The teller acquisition and Chubb draft picks were definitely the highlights of Dorsey’s tenure IMO

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The teller acquisition and Chubb draft picks were definitely the highlights of Dorsey’s tenure IMO

The Teller acquisition has certainly been one of the best in recent history. I recollect that he was a bit of an "odd man out" in BUF at that moment in time as their OL was stacked - or so BUF thought.

As I recollect...when he first came to us we were doing the Kush Prayer dance and there were some questions about Teller's technique but his strength was evident. He was a starter with us the back half of his first season with us and looked ok...better than Kush...but just ok.

What happened in the off-season? We hired Mr Bill Callahan after Teller's first season with us.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
OG, Hjalte Froholdt, 26yrs - 6' 05" | Wt: 310

A diamond in the rough...he reminds me of Teller.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

I have heard good things. I guess my only question is his age. Players are usually pretty polished by the time they are 26.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

I have heard good things. I guess my only question is his age. Players are usually pretty polished by the time they are 26.

Well peen, I've SEEN good things...try watching some video...and yes, his age is a factor...he's only 26 with clearly room to grow working with some of the best OL coaches in the NFL. He can play OG and has worked at center and has the physical tools to play RT with good coaching.

I'm a believer in Bigger, Stronger, Faster and Smarter...and Froholdt checks all those boxes, IMO..!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Well, I guess if you have seen it then there we go.

At any rate, I think he makes the team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Trust your own eyes...watch the replay of the last game, beginning at...

Browns vs Bears...
...2nd qtr @ 13:38--1st/10...#72 Froholdt at RG...run play to the left...grade #72..

You can watch #72 the rest of the 2nd qtr and into the 3rd qtr.

1 member likes this: FATE
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OL: It All Starts Up Front

Link Copied to Clipboard