Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1965628 08/27/22 10:34 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
--Brissett looked like I thought. Pretty good, but unable to elevate others. He got rid of the ball way quicker than Baker did. Had some accurate passes. Swartz killed him. On the other hand, he doesn't have the talent to make others better.

--Bryan and Elliot were an upgrade over last week. Not great, but servicable.

--Schwartz is really bad.

--Wims shows some potentional.

--I would go w/Bell and DPG as 2 and 3.

--Dobbs is a gamer.

--York has a plus leg.

--Rosen has such a great arm and smarts........but, his confidence is shot.

--I think we have too many fans that have turned on the team. Spite is a bad character trait.

Legend
Legend
The d tackles looked much improved.

We played are starters minus
Bitonio
Cooper
Chubb
Hunt
Conklin
Garrett
Clowney
Newsome
Ward
Harrison

Delpit and Teller both left the game early.

Dobbs looked great playing against mostly guys that will be on the street. Brissett is by far the better QB

Brissett looked fine. Penalties and Schwartz derailed most of the drives

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

O
Legend
Legend
O
How bad are Teller's and Delpit's injuries, does anyone know? And an article I saw said three were injured, who else?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Ehhh

I hate being negative right now since so many others are, but the dude is terrible.

Legend
Legend
Odom was carted off. Stanton went out but came back after a few plays

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Odom's injury looked bad.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Does Mike Harley make the team? If not why?

2. What is this teams chances in week 2 vs the Jets?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Ehhh

I hate being negative right now since so many others are, but the dude is terrible.

Did you make the mistake of reading the gameday thread? That thread is always doom and gloom

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Ehhh

Schwartz has been dreadful, but on a year that is basically punted, they'll will give him another year based on draft status and potential upside (however crazy that sounds) over guys like Wims (age 27) and Mike Harley Jr. (age 24). Schwartz is only 21 years old.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Josh Dobbs. Good guy.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I said it in the gameday thread, when they invest a pick in a WR it's like an automatic 3-year tryout. I haven't seen him play, but if it was as bad as others described, then I agree he should go too, but I doubt he will.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I forgot to give props to the oline. Wills looked good and so did Hudson

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Josh Dobbs. Good guy.

Josh was saying “goodbye” . Can’t catch, can’t be here. We’ve seen enough.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: HotBYoungTurk
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
- Dobbs continues to impress. He’s intriguing because of his athleticism and ability to make clutch plays.

- Brissett is milk toast. Nothing special. He’s basically Tyrod Taylor to me (we CAN win with him, I just don’t think we will)

- John Kelly has some upside to him, but unfortunately he will probably be gone (even though maybe Felton should be instead)

- I think our OL depth has improved. Our backups don’t look nearly as bad as they used to.

- Schwartz ain’t it.

- Harley might be a good PS candidate … I’d like to see him stick around

- The benefit of having a kicker like York is great, but when he misses from 55+ it leaves the other team such a short field.

- My assessment is that we won’t win 4 games with our current offense, but I hope I’m WAY wrong lol

- Glad preseason is over and I expect some roster turnover until the opener

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Sorry coach. Catching is something you learn when you are 7 years old tossing the ball around with the kids in the neighborhood. If he can't do it by now, it isn't going to happen.

I feel bad for Stefanski. He knows the guy isn't any good, but also knows Berry is going to keep him. Stefanski is going to have to cut some kid who is also accountable, worked hard, and wants to get better, plus can catch the ball in order to keep a guy who can't catch and trips on his once a game end around.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
All Pro
All Pro
Really hard to judge our potential when we played without so many starters but so far I’m not overly impressed. Without a elite HC it’s hard to punch any team above our weight class.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
It is very clear to me that GM/coaching staff are in love with Schwartz, I just can’t rap my head around it. I usually don’t like using the term “track guy in a uniform” but in this case it really fits. Coming from Auburn which is not a sophisticated offense or route tree scheme, he was less than spectacular there and was dinged up. He was drafted IMO, about at least a round to early and nothing has changed. Still the same guy. Move On! Jamarcus Bradley when given the opportunity had played well. I think the other young receivers deserve more opportunities that are being wasted on Schwartz.

On a different note, Tavern Bryan and Elliot looked real last night. I watched them very close and they were excellent imo. Our DE play was hit and miss as Chicago really challenged them to set an edge and be disciplined. The youngsters learned a lot last night against Fields who was outstanding.

The rookie safety Bell is a special teams Demon, that kid flashed the whole pre season and will probably be our 4th safety over Lecount who is a good player imo.

Love me some Cade York and C Boroqueze . The best our kicking game has looked in a long time.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

Ehhh

Schwartz has been dreadful, but on a year that is basically punted, they'll will give him another year based on draft status and potential upside (however crazy that sounds) over guys like Wims (age 27) and Mike Harley Jr. (age 24). Schwartz is only 21 years old.

I am not positive what coach really thinks about Schwartz, but I am pretty confident in my thinking that he won't announce anything regarding him during a pre-season port-game presser. I get annoyed with the media and sometimes even the fans wanting to know what coaches are thinking all the time and important decisions they will be making. Why should Stefanski tell anyone outside the organization their plans for any player until it is necessary? I always hated the Banner Lombardi regime because they seemed to have loose lips. I felt I heard way too many rumors coming from the FO then that turned out to correct. I want the other teams to have no idea what we are trying to do (yes, I made the cute response from some of you easy "the Browns don't even know what they are doing").

The media has always made me crazy constantly probing a coach or player to say something controversial, then immediately tweeting about the player who said it, making them out to be a attitude problem. I have seen it way too many times.

Rookie
Rookie
I am very concerned about coaching . All the penalties to me are a direct reflection of coaching . I just am not sure that Kevin is man enough for lack of better words to command the attention of the room or to do what needs done to correct problems . He seems more like a paul depodesta type guy that should be crunching numbers . Just my opinion , I will be curious to hear others opinion on this .

2 members like this: Tackman, Floquinho
Legend
Legend

Ehhh

Yes he is. I guess if they don't want to cut him he could always be used as a decoy, to stretch out the field with his speed. Just don't throw him the ball anymore.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
I think they love Schwartz’s analytics to impact the offense. The problem is, he can’t catch lol.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I think they love Schwartz’s analytics to impact the offense. The problem is, he can’t catch lol.

This is it. After Stefanski's first year they went back and said "what is this offense missing?" Speed! Let's draft the fastest guy in the draft.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

-Shaun Jolly...I had a 5th round grade on this kid...and always thought he would come around as a solid nickel in the league once he gets acclimated in a system. He made a couple nice plays last night...which is nice, as he's been injured the past several weeks. When Troy Hill was trade, Jolly was my dark horse to being groomed as our future nickel...would be a good stash for our practice squad. PS Was Jolly the Db who came up flying on the flats who wiffed that tackle?

-Schwartz is awful...In last years draft, I stated both him and TuTu Atwell were the most overhyped prospects that draft. I know Tutu fell to 6th on the Rams depth chart last year (god awful) and then went on IR....and we see what Schwartz is amounting to here....He is Troy Williamson 2.0

-I am really hoping the Bills let WR Jamison Crowder go. With a deep core, and him sitting for a few weeks...he may be the surprise odd man out. I really wanted him in FA and with his slot skills, experience, and speed...its something this offense severely craves. I'm almost positive we will be seeing us adding someone here shortly.

-Curtis Weaver has flashed some the past 2 weeks. Safety Bell has really looked promising as well.

-I had a higher draft grade on C Brock Hoffman than Deaton (whom we drafted) I know Hoffman has been getting strong praise lately, however I didn't watch him play last night.

-Cade York most def. has a strong leg.

-I always thought Dobbs played very well in preseason games when he was with Pitt, and the same is holding true with us. I am in high hopes, if given the chance...He can shine in actual Sunday games.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Nice to read your post, Tru. You are always a voice of reason around here and keep it to football.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
When they kept showing Schwartz on the sideline, I was hoping he would drop the cup he was spitting his seeds in. Dude is trash!!

Legend
Legend
And some genius will want him to field punts and/or kickoffs. I think Schwartz has been lousy. Keep somebody who catches in games. Not sure where the love is coming from from KS, where he doesn't intend to cut him. Trade him if he is that "good."

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 79Jacketdog
I am very concerned about coaching . All the penalties to me are a direct reflection of coaching . I just am not sure that Kevin is man enough for lack of better words to command the attention of the room or to do what needs done to correct problems . He seems more like a paul depodesta type guy that should be crunching numbers . Just my opinion , I will be curious to hear others opinion on this .

Since you asked.. All teams commit penalties. Yes, some more than others. However, this is preseason. Guys are trying to make the team, and can easily be on edge as it's their livelihood is at stake. And from the outside looking in, it would be hard to say whether or not someone can command attention in a room and that he looks like a number cruncher instead. All coaches don't have to have to spit in players like Cowher or speak obscenities like a Rex Ryan to be great.

Last edited by HotBYoungTurk; 08/28/22 10:30 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Milk Man, Versatile Dog
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This is NOT what I want to hang my hat on after the last pre-season game from our starting QB:

""Today was a good stepping stone," Brissett said. "Getting in and out of the huddle, calling the plays and hearing them from Kev, I thought today was good."

Was he kidding? I can almost not believe that he said that. Stepping stone? The games are for real in two weeks. Stepping stone at the end of TC is getting out of the huddle and lined up?

This is the entire cupcake mentality of what Ski brings as the HC. Then he is stupid/arrogant-enough to let the reporter/world know that Schwartz is not in danger of being cut. Why even give that in-depth of an answer?

We did good today because grown men managed to huddle up and then disperse? And because a HC called plays that could be heard? My goodness. JB seems like a great guy...but if that's the only good he saw in the game - same as many others - we are in for a long, ugly ride.

The 1st teams looked like crap on O & D. Undisciplined and not-ready. A franchise that looks at continuity like its crabgrass has manged one thing with consistency...undisciplined play and being not-ready to play.

2 members like this: Tackman, THROW LONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
This is NOT what I want to hang my hat on after the last pre-season game from our starting QB:

""Today was a good stepping stone," Brissett said. "Getting in and out of the huddle, calling the plays and hearing them from Kev, I thought today was good."

That's really embarrassing. Game 1 will be our first real practice.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
And some genius will want him to field punts and/or kickoffs. I think Schwartz has been lousy.

My concern as well.

If they're really going to find a place for him besides situational WR (decoy or whatever else), that's what I was thinking.

I doubt it happens.

Which means PRs will be Felton or Winston (if Winston's not a cutdown casualty)?

And Felton, Johnson or Ford on KRs?

DPJ shouldn't be a part of it - imo.

Maybe it will be one of those revolving, game to game decisions until we hit on somebody. But, you're right - Schwartz should not be tried.

I don't know.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For all of you in a hurry to dump Schwartz, stop and think about Breshad Perriman. He started out "a bust," but had a pretty good year here. For some players it takes awhile to click. Hopefully, it clicks for Schwartz soon. He is still young (same age as Bell) and hasn't really spent much time functioning as a WR in actual games. (Auburn's O, lack of real reps due to injury here, late start in general.) Would you like him to show better? Of course, but actually doing it is probably the best way to get there. He has "upside" and honestly, most of the guys we could get to replace him aren't that great.

Look I get it, and don't love him, but it's pretty slim pickings and his speed is an element that is somewhat lacking in our offense/WR room without him. He's a lot more likely to improve with support rather than ridicule. Hopefully Carolina will take him lightly and he can catch a deep ball and get his confidence going. That's the element he hopefully will provide. He probably won't be a high volume guy, but someone you have to keep an eye on or could give up a quick strike. Probably also a jet sweep/decoy guy to help get movement in the box for Chubb/Hunt to exploit.

Communication in the secondary left a lot to be desired. It needs to be better with the starters playing. It was pretty ugly yesterday.

Ford on returns could make carrying a large number of RBs more "palatable." He looked pretty good back there.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

This is it. After Stefanski's first year they went back and said "what is this offense missing?" Speed! Let's draft the fastest guy in the draft.

I think he was the consolation pick.

Berry got played, but he and others didn't think it through at the time.

We traded up for JOK. Traded our 2nd and *the first* of our 3rds. No big deal because our two 3rds were only two picks apart, right?

Not until Carolina traded the pick again... to a team (Texans) that knew they had to leapfrog us (and snag what was our own pick 🤣) to grab soon-to-be allpro, 6'4" 220, fights-like-a-dawg, Nico Collins. We could have insisted they take pick #91 instead of #89 and I'm sure the deal would have still gone through. We were excited to snag JOK and thought "no big deal". Problem is, it's never a big deal until it bites you in the arse.

As much as I hate that this is true, I definitively hope that it is true... if not, we had Schwartz graded above Nico Collins, in that case we may be in bigger trouble than we know.

Edit to add: Yeah, I think you probably quoted the room verbatim. Let's be honest, we were already stocking the champagne.

Last edited by FATE; 08/28/22 12:41 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1965768 08/28/22 01:01 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Honestly - no idea how accurate the theory is, but damn if it doesn't ring true / highly plausible.

It's entirely possible to find contributing WR's - 3rd stringers or slot guys - in the 3rd round of most/many drafts. The issue seems to be we whiffed and we aren't yet ready to admit the mistake. Possibly a greater error will be not taking Pickens in this years. I've heard multiple people talk about Picken's being a P.O.S human and toxic. Can't prove that one way or another but maybe that's why he fell and maybe the Steelers have a culture where they have a better chance to straighten out a bad attitude more so than the Browns?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
--I think we have too many fans that have turned on the team. Spite is a bad character trait.

So is denial and a false sense of reality.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Preseason Gameday vs Chicago Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard