Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
I really expect to see a variety of screen passes. Not sure we get there to disrupt it; McCaffrey would be a natural IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Preparation...will the Browns coaching staff have their players prepared...

I'm more concerned about the Browns defense being prepared, especially in the defensive backfield.

IMO, the Browns defensive backfield must avoid blown assignments due to confusion concerning pass coverage can make the difference between a win..or a loss. It might be a good idea for our defensive coaches to keep the Browns pass coverage as simple as possible to avoid coverage mistakes.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Legend
Legend
R
Do you think Depo will have the team ready to go?

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M
rofl

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Call it a hunch, but I feel like we're going to play Myles a fair amount at LDE.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
To answer the purpose of the thread, I think we need to contain the pocket on defense. Don't let Baker roll out, which we know he likes to do. I imagine that they're going to use a fair amount of play-action, like we did, to help him roll out and see the field. Keep him in the pocket, get our hands up, and watch McCaffrey coming out of the backfield. If we blitz, do it from the defensive left side and make Baker roll to his left, if he rolls anywhere. Get to him early and often.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I could be wrong, but I think we can exploit Baker. I admit he can get hot and play well, but he's played far more poor games than good. I was thinking about this earlier today, but I wonder how many teams focused on Baker when they were game planning against us? Was he the point of emphasis on who they had to stop? I doubt it. I bet they were far more concerned w/our running game. I think they feared our OL and RBs far more than Baker. In fact, I bet they wanted to force Baker to beat them. I am certain they figured out that keeping him in the pocket and getting pressure on him would make him a liability, not an asset.

Thus, I think our focus should be on stopping McCaffrey. Dude is a great player when healthy. He's productive in so many ways. I look at Baker and think "how can we exploit him" rather than "we better develop a game plan to slow him down because we fear him."

He might have a great game, but I don't think the Browns fear him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He was the sixth most accurate long ball passer in the NFL during his last season healthy, 2020. I'm sure NFL HC's around the league ignored that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't think we disagree, really. I should have started my post under the premise of what we should do with Baker, not how we should game plan for the entire Panthers offense. The one thing I will say about Baker is when he's on, he's really on (Bengals 2020)...and when he's off, he's really off. Kind of like that Chubb quote I saw somewhere on this board - I just don't know what to expect with him.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I wasn't arguing w/you bro or critiquing your post. I was just spitballing because it was something I had been thinking about in the last day or so.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I have to say, the media, who bashed Baker for a couple years now, are talking about him like he is a top five QB. He can play good, but he can be rattled easy. If Clowney and Myles keep getting close to him, I think he will do what he always does, force throws. I was watching a show and they were showing him throwing into small windows. Every throw was incomplete. Not because of his throw, but because he was throwing into double and triple coverage. They were talking about him "ripping it". But still, every highlight was an incomplete pass. I don't for one second think our defense fears him. I think they know that if he gets hit over and over, his mechanics go out the window. We all here should know that, since we watch it happen for four years. People always claim an Oline needs to gel to be good, Carolina has a retooled Oline and a rookie LT, are they somehow not in need of time to gel?

The key to this game is McCaffery. Dude is a game changer. He opens up the offense for them. If he is allowed to run free, it could be a long day. That being said, the speed of JOK and Phillips can help neutralize him. Our safeties are good, and there is some speed there too. We have corners that can play man to man, leaving a safety to help with run support. Clowney is also good against the run. If they are going to beat us, it is going to have to be Baker throwing, and IMO, thats not a sure thing.

I keep hearing how they are going to load the box, I think we will too. We have the backend to pull this off. If we disguise coverages, and blitz a safety now and then, Baker will force things the way he always has. We haven't seen our whole defense on the field yet this year, I think it is going to be special. I look for multiple sacks and at least one INT.

IMO, people are underselling Brissett. No I don't mean I think he is real good, but I don't think he is as bad as many make him out to be. He is a smart player, and has a lot of experience. This might also be the best team he has played on talent wise. I think he will be able to manage the offense enough to be effective. I see Hunt as being his safety valve, and having a huge day. Ball control will be the key, along with no turnovers.

I believe the Browns will dominate this game. I just got a feeling.My biggest concern for this game, is the return game. I don't think we got a good returner on the roster.

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 09/09/22 09:09 PM.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
4 members like this: mgh888, Ballpeen, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Good stuff, Steub.

I think a lot of fans are under-selling Brissett. Same disclaimer, he's not real good. Can he be effective with this talent? Decent chance. I think because we went from Baker, to Watson, to Brissett, a lot of folks look at mediocrity and call it trash.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by FATE
I think because we went from Baker, to Watson, to Brissett, a lot of folks look at mediocrity and call it trash.
In the NFL ...

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Good take.

That is the way I have been looking at this game. The Browns have to keep track of McCaffery on all plays. He will make plays but we have to stop him from going crazy.

I like this match-up for the Browns. We have match-ups that they will have big trouble with.

Pressure is a problem for most quarterbacks and Baker in particular. He flushes from the pocket and rolls right. That allows the defense to shut off half the field. Take the right boundary out with Ward. Delpit can jump routes. Their left tackle rookie is in for heap big trouble.

We only need for Jacoby to be efficient. He can do that. And I do believe people are underestimating him.

We have many more top notch players than the Panthers.

Legend
Legend
This is just a sidebar.

My favorite NFL football show is NFL Match-up with Greg Cosell and Sal Paolantonio.

It is on espn but it is recorded at weird times.

For those who like X's and O's it is really good. Great film detail and explanations. I learn more from that show than any other show.

It has been on for a long time and I never miss it.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Cosell is really good.

Legend
Legend
I listen to his podcasts.

I have learned so much from the guy over the years. He really explains concepts in detail.

I don't think there is anyone who studies more film than him. It is an obsession of his.

He makes everything understandable and the film breakdown is excellent.

I always check his draft shows. Every year he picks stars before they are drafted.

Match-up gives you real detail on what to look for in the games they cover on the show.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
You know if Baker was still the Browns QB, and Brissett was the Panthers QB
People would be posting how much of a bum Jacoby is.
But because he is a Brown he is under rated, and better than what is perceived

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm about 9 miles from the stadium. It's been pouring with rain the last 4+ hours... Good chance for it to rain off and on for the next 24 hours. At the moment it's forecasting a break tomorrow at noon.

It's the sort of rain that gets you soaked thru. Could well be a factor if it's like this during the game.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/10/22 10:23 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
T
Legend
Legend
T
Thanks for the info, is it mud or turf, ( I could look it up.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
You know if Baker was still the Browns QB, and Brissett was the Panthers QB
People would be posting how much of a bum Jacoby is.
But because he is a Brown he is under rated, and better than what is perceived

100%.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Panthers just switched from grass to artificial grass/ turf. Field should hold up, rain will be issue, if it rains. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Is the weather calling for rain?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Updated weather forecast. Doesn't look too bad. I much prefer that weather for the Browns than a day in the mid-90s and a dew point in the 70s.

https://rotogrinders.com/weather/nfl

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The Winning Mix: 3 keys to a victory over the Carolina Panthers

Browns look to open the season with a Week 1 win on the road in Carolina
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:50 AM

We all know that it has been a long time since the Browns opened the regular season with a win, so let's take a look at the path to victory in this important game.

1. Pound the Rock
The Jacoby Brissett era begins this Sunday and nothing helps a quarterback like a dominant ground game. The Browns must unleash Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt and pound the Panthers on the ground in what is expected to be inclement weather this Sunday. Two years ago, Chubb and Hunt became just the fourth tandem in NFL history to accumulate 1,200-plus total yards and 12-plus touchdowns in the same season. Last year Chubb was second in the NFL in rushing and Hunt produced 522 total yards and five touchdowns in the first six games of the year. The Browns are significantly bigger up front than the Panthers who start undersized defensive ends in Brian Burns (250) and Yetur Gross-Matos (260) pounds. After all, Carolina was the 4th ranked pass defense last year, but ranked 18th against the run. The Browns should be able to run right at the edges and impose their will, which should create opportunities for big plays in the play action and boot games once the Panthers have to start committing their safeties to the box in an attempt to stop Chubb and Hunt. So feed them the rock 30-plus times and let the Browns unbelievably talented duo run wild on Carolina en route to a punishing victory.

2. Pressure Bursts Pipes!
The Browns generate pressure at one of the highest rates in the NFL, led by Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney, who combined for 25 sacks in 2021. Garrett sits just four sacks shy of setting the Browns franchise record and something tells me he would love to accomplish that feat in Week 1 against the Panthers and a very familiar quarterback. Let's not forget that Myles set the franchise record for sacks in a single game last year against the Chicago Bears with 4.5, so it is not out of the question to get it done on Sunday.

Helping matters for Myles and company is that the Panthers are starting rookie first rounder Ickey Ekwonu at left tackle and LG Brady Christensen will be making his first ever start at that position. With an entirely new left side of the line, look for the Browns to really turn up the heat on the blind side of quarterback Baker Mayfield. When under pressure, Mayfield completed just 41 percent of his passes and became prone to throwing interceptions. In fact, no one has thrown more interceptions than Mayfield's 56 since entering the league in 2018. The Browns generate pressure on 35 percent of the plays in which Garrett and Clowney are on the field together, which is an elite mark. Conversely, no quarterback in the NFL sees more of his pressures result in sacks than Mayfield. The Browns can turn up the heat on Mayfield and generate a bevy of negative plays, which will lead to a dominant performance from a defense that has its sights set on being the best in the NFL in 2022.

3. Fast Start

In a Game One that feels a little bigger than usual, its imperative for the Browns to get off to a fast start. The challenge is real however, as the Panthers were the only team in the NFL that did not allow a single touchdown on an opponent's opening drive in 2021. That being said, the Browns need to find a way to get the early lead either on offense or with say a pick six and force the Panthers to become a drop back passing team on offense. After all, you could say it's a race to 15 points for the Browns and it would be great to be well on the way early in the game. In 2021, the Panthers were 5-0 when holding their opponent under 15 points. They were a shocking 0-12 when the opposition scored 15 or more points, and were the only team in the NFL to be winless in such games. So let's come out of the gate quickly, set the tone for the game and get on the perfect path to victory for a team that is built to dominate on the ground and play great defense with the lead.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/the-winning-mix-3-keys-to-a-victory-over-the-carolina-panthers

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

I haven’t said anything about the keys to the game as they’re pretty straight to the point. Most have already brought them up.

Main one:
Christian McCaffrey - if he’s healthy, he can put up 150-300 total yards himself. Holding him in check can be the difference in a win or loss no matter the talent difference.

WRs - they have a decent to solid group. DJ Moore is a heck of a wr, Robbie Anderson has been a solid receiver for the past 3-5 years. I like Shenault as a backup/third receiver. Pairing them with McCaffrey coming out of the backfield, I think makes them a stronger group as your main focus is Christian and Moore.

Pressure their QB - this is a key no matter the week or team we are playing

Offensively

Run the ball - I’ll be excited in the future when I can change this key to - spread the ball around

Play action / use the screens effectively (also try to get Chief involved in the screen once or twice)

- Get our TEs involved on seam routes, move the chains with David Bell

- get Cooper involved naturally, please don’t force feed him. He’s an excellent route runner, he will get his touches one way or another

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
L
Legend
Legend
L
Good post.

Run the rock.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Thanks for the info, is it mud or turf, ( I could look it up.)

Synthetic turf... Last I looked it said 40% chance of rain most of the late morning... Equal chance of thunder and a delay.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Panthers 24 Browns at Panthers: Keys to the Game

Link Copied to Clipboard