Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1967392 09/06/22 06:57 PM
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
So as to stop hijacking a different thread.

Who enjoys shooting? Do you have a home range or do you need to go out for it?

We are members of an indoor range here which allows us to use a lane at no additional cost. Thus far they have not tried to scoot us along when the range is busy but we have been trying to find those times when there are fewer people. We belonged to this range several years ago but finding time to get over there, its about a 30 minute drive, was difficult with schedules.

There are some outdoor ranges here but, thus far, I have not availed myself of them. I haven't been on an outdoor range since high school.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I shoot in my back yard, or at my cousins. Into dirt piles. Both of us have about 3/4 of a mile of farm ground and/or woods behind us.

FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
We've talked about moving and finding a place that we could set up some steel in the back yard. Thankfully my job has made a point to tell us we aren't going to be force back into an office. They are starting to make internal postings that advertise location as "remote". I want to wait a little longer before we start looking, but it may come to that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure where here is for you and i'm not asking to know.

Here in Canton, OH . My family had land in Guernsey County , it was in birds run. also had Land up in NY not far from Beaver damn. The cabin was called Buck Fever. I used to catch rattlers by hand.

I'm 61 and have been shooting since I was 8. I normally shoot pistols and have had friends with lots of land where we could shoot legally.

Got my marksmanship in the military with a breeze.

I don't like to hunt, I love to fish though. Well except all the snags and birds nests.

people say fishing is relaxing. I say BS ! lol

I haven't shot for a long time, Got expensive to shoot, ammo costs and all.

I still like a good shot of whatever is at the tailgate ! smile

E
Legend
Legend
E
There is a nice indoor range about 5 minutes from my house. Its really convienent. I go through phases with shooting. I get gung ho about it for a while, then dont go for a long time.

No Craps Given
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Here is in Baltimore, now you know.

This topic came up as I went to the range on Sunday and was surprised how much replacing the ammo I shot would cost. I just wanted to get this out of the politics.

I've done some fishing but its not really my thing, my partner likes it though.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The ammo prices and availability is crazy.

ofc like everything right now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by EveDawg
There is a nice indoor range about 5 minutes from my house. Its really convienent. I go through phases with shooting. I get gung ho about it for a while, then dont go for a long time.

Seems like most of us do that in a daily life routine..

Get excited then realize !

FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Facts!

I did 100 9mm and 120 5.56mm and to replace that is $100-$150. Yikes.

But I had a good time. Hope to get back tomorrow, more handgun and I might take a shotgun too.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Facts!

But I had a good time. Hope to get back tomorrow, more handgun and I might take a shotgun too.

I haven't priced ammo lately. That's frickin' outrageous.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Facts!

I haven't priced ammo lately. That's frickin' outrageous.

Try paying for a beer at a sports venue...

wont get many rounds for that price .

B
Legend
Legend
B
I like to shoot. Have a indoor range not all that far away.

Like some, it goes in spurts now. With people trying to take ammo away or make it scarce and costly, I choose to keep what I have stocked for my pistols and shotgun.

I have been a shooting enthusiast for many decades. I am not too worried about my aim and grip/pull any longer. Plus, I cheated a few years ago and have a laser on my go to..it's a sturdy unit that isn't going to get banged around like a rifle scope. It's a true aim down the rail, so practice isn't all that necessary any longer.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I used to enjoy shooting, before the boating accident.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: FATE
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Those unfortunate boating accidents.

I need to buy a dredge.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You probably shouldn't shoot at your cousins, arch. I don't think they appreciate it. wink

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I enjoy shooting, but it's buried far down a list of hobbies I have when I really only have time for 1. My dad and I put together a pretty decent little outdoor range, but it's not enough for my rifle. There's a really nice indoor range not too far from my house.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
For anyone living in Northeast Ohio, and points east of there in Ohio, specifically, Southington Hunt Club has a great outdoor range including a 700-yard range and a Long Distance Shooting club with regular competitions and lots of guys with expert, world-class level knowledge.

There is also a 3-Gun league that competes out there regularly... and if you enjoy shooting but have never done 3-Gun, then you've never gone shooting. SOOOOO much more fun than punching holes in paper!

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I was an avid shooter for decades. Lived in a rural farming community setting (Miami County, Ohio) where many of my friends owned land with places to shoot. I'm now in my 60's and have slowed down a great deal on collecting guns. I mean at some point I feel I reached my limits in that department. So when I do add a gun to the collection I make sure to go the the range with it until I become proficient with it. Sometimes I'll even refresh my shooting skills with firearms I've owned for some time. But what I notice is the guns I became proficient with years ago, that proficiency really hasn't waned. Having moved to the suburbs/rural area around Nashville there are plenty of ranges available. I just don't do it with the frequency that I used to.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Which indoor one? Premier?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I was an avid shooter for decades. Lived in a rural farming community setting (Miami County, Ohio) where many of my friends owned land with places to shoot. I'm now in my 60's and have slowed down a great deal on collecting guns. I mean at some point I feel I reached my limits in that department. So when I do add a gun to the collection I make sure to go the the range with it until I become proficient with it. Sometimes I'll even refresh my shooting skills with firearms I've owned for some time. But what I notice is the guns I became proficient with years ago, that proficiency really hasn't waned. Having moved to the suburbs/rural area around Nashville there are plenty of ranges available. I just don't do it with the frequency that I used to.

I know what you mean. Damn this thread...lol

Reading this got me thinking I could use a few more boxes of ammo so I went by N Georgia Reloading to pick up some ball ammo because I may now want to hit the range soon. I also wanted a new gun cleaning kit. The guy had a sweet deal on a Glock 17. It was reconditioned by Glock. It had been issued to some police department and fired a bit but was never issued to an officer because somebody wanted to go with another option, so they sent it back to Glock. It's like brand new.

It was a sweet deal, and, well, I now own a Glock 17...lol

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: PitDAWG, PrplPplEater
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I know what you mean. Damn this thread...lol

Reading this got me thinking I could use a few more boxes of ammo so I went by N Georgia Reloading to pick up some ball ammo because I may now want to hit the range soon. I also wanted a new gun cleaning kit. The guy had a sweet deal on a Glock 17. It was reconditioned by Glock. It had been issued to some police department and fired a bit but was never issued to an officer because somebody wanted to go with another option, so they sent it back to Glock. It's like brand new.

It was a sweet deal, and, well, I now own a Glock 17...lol

Nice.

I can't just make snap purchases like that. I don't have the little card from the state that says I am allowed to buy handguns. I've always been unhappy with the idea, but I'll get it once we get through the W&C class.

What gen is the G-17?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I live in Tennessee. As Bob Lee Swagger said, "the patron state of shooting stuff". Take 10 minutes to fill out a 2 page form, then wait about 40 minutes for the background check.

It's a gen 3. I am pretty happy with it. I have already field stripped in a dozen times, just to get a feel for the take down levers...they are all a bit different

Maybe later today, or tomorrow for sure I will take it to the indoor range and run about 50 through it give it go. It feels good to me. It fits the hand.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Damn! The last time I purchased a gun here in Tennessee I filled out a form online at the store that took about 5 minutes and it was okayed in less than 10 minutes. I mean it was really quick. Sounds like you got a great deal on your Glock. When I used to buy, sell and trade guns a lot I always kept a good amount of cash on me to take advantage of things like that. I bought a couple of Glocks in my time but I just didn't like the feel of them in my hand. The one's I purchased had a very lightweight frame and I was so used to a heavier frame pistol that I just never felt comfortable shooting them. I'm more of a Rueger, S&W guy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe it didn't take 40 minutes. Maybe less. I was milling around picking out my cleaning kit and checking out other nick-knacks It was also around lunch time so maybe that had something to do with it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
In 2013 Maryland went to an HQL (Handgun Qualification License) to purchase a handgun. It require 4 hours training (including a single live round fired) and $50 application fee plus fingerprints. It does not allow you to bypass anything, it just allows you to go through the purchase process. MD is a POC state for regulated firearms, which means they contact NICS on behalf of the store. Once you file out the 77R (similar to the Federal 4473) you then get to wait 7 days to find out if you are "not disapproved" and then can pick up your purchase. They allow 1 handgun every 30 days (or 2 at the same time but you have to wait 60 days). This can be gotten around my filing out a form to be a designated collector and having it notarized then sending it in.

Hopefully most of this nonsense goes away with the pending cases in light of the recent Bruen decision.

Surprising I am not a biggun guy, I have a couple but not many. My sweetie owns more than I do. I enjoy shooting but I don't need to collect lots of them. There are a couple I am looking at as the cases resolve but I'd be surprised if I were to buy more than about 5 or 6 in the future.

The pistol I have been taking to the range lately is the G19 (Gen 4). I really like feel of it in my hands.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I usually shoot two or three times a year with my dad and daughter, and once a year at work to qualify on the glock 19, and remington 870 12ga shotgun.

Been thinking about buying a handgun, glock 19 is probably gonna be the purchase, but I’m going to look into the sig sauers when I go.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Which indoor one? Premier?
Yessir! I've been talking like I'm about to make that place a second home, but I've only been there once since I moved here.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
You really cannot go wrong with either one of those two choices. I'd even add in the S&W M&P9 2.0 or the Springfield XD Mod 2.0

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'll have to check that place out.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
For anyone living in Northeast Ohio, and points east of there in Ohio, specifically, Southington Hunt Club has a great outdoor range including a 700-yard range and a Long Distance Shooting club with regular competitions and lots of guys with expert, world-class level knowledge.

There is also a 3-Gun league that competes out there regularly... and if you enjoy shooting but have never done 3-Gun, then you've never gone shooting. SOOOOO much more fun than punching holes in paper!

If anyone ventures out to the Hunt Club on a weekend, hit me up for a beer! I'm about 15 minutes away.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
FrankZ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Today we took about 10 people out to the range. They gave us all four lanes in a seperate room to shoot. We have a number of guns at each station and everyone got a chance to try other guns, and we had one first time shooter who got to experience a number of different calibers. She let out a real fun chuckle after the first shot with the AR15 pattern rifle.

I asked he after what should thought of it and her response was "Fun. Scary. Liberating"

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Recreational Shooting

Link Copied to Clipboard