Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1967559 09/08/22 07:50 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'm excited about tonight's game. Buffalo travels to LA to take on the Rams in the very first game of the NFL season. There is a decent chance that these two teams end up playing the final game of the season in the Super Bowl, as well. Here is a game preview from ESPN.

Super challenge: Rams open title defense vs powerhouse Bills

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- — For nearly seven months, Sean McVay has told the Los Angeles Rams their Super Bowl championship guarantees them nothing in this new season except a banner.

“It feels like it was a long time ago,” said McVay, the youngest coach in NFL history to win it all. “It’s one that I’ll always cherish, but I think if you live in the past, you’re going to get exposed in the present. So we’re not going to do that.”

The Rams will unveil that banner Thursday night at SoFi Stadium before they get another reminder of just how little their championship victory on that same field last winter will mean this fall.

The NFL chose Von Miller and the powerhouse Buffalo Bills as the Rams' opponent in their season opener, practically ensuring a difficult start to a season in which they're widely perceived to have the league's toughest schedule. The Rams know they'll get every opponent's best shot this year, starting with a visit from a team holding serious championship aspirations of its own.

“Going in to play the defending Super Bowl champs and watching them raise their banner, that’ll be an interesting feeling, for sure,” Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen said. “I’ve talked to a few people that have played and coached in this game before, and just really the unanimous thing that they were talking about was it feels like playoff atmosphere.”

The Rams are Vegas underdogs in their first game since winning their franchise's second Super Bowl title. In fact, the Bills could send Los Angeles to a place it has never been with McVay — below .500.

The Rams have never lost a season opener or had a losing record at any point in the tenure of McVay, who took over in 2017 and immediately built a perennial winner with general manager Les Snead.

Sean McDermott got his job in Buffalo one week before McVay, and the still-young coaches already have the sixth- and seventh-longest tenures in the league. But while McVay got the ultimate validation last season, McDermott is hoping this will be the year for the Bills' first Super Bowl trip since the 1993 season.

The Rams already did it all in a season filled with superlatives, including the spectacular statistical campaign by Super Bowl MVP Cooper Kupp.

“The question we’re always trying to answer is, how can 2022 be better for the LA Rams?” Kupp said. “What can we do better? Who can we put on the field to stack blocks and build on this thing? Feels good to be back playing a meaningful game.”

DORSEY'S DEBUT

Ken Dorsey first made his name in football by going 38-2 as the University of Miami's quarterback from 1999-2002, a stint which included a national championship in 2001. Dorsey now makes his debut as an offensive coordinator, running one of the league's most productive groups after being promoted to replace Brian Daboll.

“Whether you’re a position coach or a play-caller or a head coach, I really feel like you’ve got to go earn it," Dorsey said. "No one’s going to hand you anything. When you get to the point where I’ve been fortunate enough to get to right now, you don’t take it for granted, because you realize how hard it is to get there.”

TWO NEW RAMS

While Los Angeles lost Miller to a more lucrative offer in Buffalo, it added two key veterans in free agency. Inside linebacker Bobby Wagner debuts as the defensive signal-caller for his hometown team after a decade in Seattle, while receiver Allen Robinson takes over as Kupp's counterpart.

BACKUPS AT CORNER

The biggest question mark looming for Buffalo's defense is which rookie — Kaiir Elam or Christian Benford — will start at cornerback opposite Dane Jackson in their vaunted pass defense with Tre’Davious White sidelined by a left knee injury and Levi Wallace gone in free agency.

Elam is Buffalo’s first-round pick out of Florida, while Benford was a sixth-round selection out of Villanova. Both were locked in competition through the preseason.

“We’re still working through that,” McDermott said. “Everything we try and do is to give our team the best advantage to win, and do right by the players on our team, and make sure that they’re in the right headspace to play their best football, particularly for these two rookies.”

AD ON VON

Donald enjoyed his brief chance to play with another fellow Hall of Fame-caliber defender last season, but the seven-time All-Pro said he hasn't spoken to Miller this week.

“If anything, we had conversations more about leadership things, being more of a vocal guy,” Donald said. “I give a lot of credit (to Miller) definitely for that playoff run. Having conversations with Von, I feel like he challenged me with some things as a vocal leader, and I stepped in when I needed to. Always respect and love Von for that. We created some special things, so we miss him.

"But he’s on the opposite side now, so he is the enemy.”

VON ON AD

Miller has too much respect for Donald to even begin to suggest there's a way to contain him.

“There is no weakness,” Miller said.

“I’d be setting them up for failure if I tell them, like, 'If you just do this, you’ll be all right.′ Like, he’s good at everything,” he added. “Aaron Donald’s going to make plays, and we just got to find ways to make just one more play than those guys.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/preview/_/gameId/401437654

Legend
Legend
I have this weird feeling that this game wil be a blowout, for some reason. I am just not sure who wins.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Finally football! I think it’s a great opener. Two of the top 5 teams in the NFL. I think it’s the Bills to lose this year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Bills look very dangerous on PAPER.
How many teams in recent memory have been crowned Champs
In August only to fail come December.?
The Browns come to mind.
I like the Bills playoff chances. But they can't get it done
In the playoffs

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
To think we could have had Josh Allen.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I dont like the neon yellow pants.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Buffalo looks dominate

#gmstrong
DaveyD #1967708 09/08/22 09:23 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by DaveyD
To think we could have had Josh Allen.
The Browns could have had Gabriel Davis too.
But genius Andrew Berry waited till Rd 6 to draft a WR.
BTW Gabriel Davis has has more TDs in his last 2 games
Than DPJ has had in his career

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We could have had Troy Hill too...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The game isn't over yet

10-7 isn't showing any should of could ofs

Legend
Legend
Buffalo is the real deal.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Gabriel Davis is ascending as a WR. How did Andrew Berry
Have DPJ ranked higher than Davis?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Gabriel Davis is ascending as a WR. How did Andrew Berry
Have DPJ ranked higher than Davis?
Same reason Schwartz was a 3rd rounder. Berry could be given. The choice of Jerry Rice, Quincy Morgan, and Randy Moss and end up with Quincy Morgan because analytics say that he ties his shoes with a bow knot.

At any rate, Buffalo is going to dominate the AFC. Josh Allen is that guy, and Von Miller and the Buffalo defense is scary

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
leadtheway #1967721 09/08/22 10:43 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I'd like to congratulate the Buffalo Bills and Bills Mafia on their Super Bowl LVII victory.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
I have this weird feeling that this game wil be a blowout, for some reason. I am just not sure who wins.

Got one right this week.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Milk Man #1967728 09/08/22 11:52 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I'd like to congratulate the Buffalo Bills and Bills Mafia on their Super Bowl LVII victory.

They are going to get Allen hurt running him so much.

But that was a huge swing and a miss by Dorsey.

Rishuz #1967729 09/09/22 12:23 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Allen will be fine. Let your stars do what they do and let the chips fall where they may.

Like legendary coach, Todd Haley, once said, "you can't live in your fears."

Legend
Legend
Buffalo looks decent LOL

If they don’t win the title this year that’s an upset IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Legend
Legend
F
it's a long season and a lot can happen to derail a team, but Buffalo picked up where they left off, and will only get better as they get in the groove.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FloridaFan #1967751 09/09/22 07:08 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
it's a long season and a lot can happen to derail a team, but Buffalo picked up where they left off, and will only get better as they get in the groove.

Contrast that with the Browns game 1 last year.

They also picked up where they left off but only for three quarters.

That train wreck feeling...I got it last year too after the Browns fourth quarter against KC.

Rishuz #1967752 09/09/22 07:10 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Oh ...did anyone see the t-shirts Allen had made up before the game...?

No? Me either.

1 member likes this: jfanent
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
There are a lot of great qbs in the game right now and many reside in the AFC. This is subjective, but there is no qb I would rather have for the long term than Josh Allen. I didn't even pay much attention to him coming out in the draft because all said he was inaccurate. He is not inaccurate now. Evaluating college qbs is so hard.

Buffalo looks really good. Their DL looks much improved and they have a very good secondary. Their best corner, Tre’Davious White, didn't even play last night. Excellent safeties. Their OL is okay. Good TE and WRs. But, Allen is the straw that stirs that drink.

It was great having football back.

Legend
Legend
Good point about their DL. Miller and Oliver are a force. If they play like that it’ll be tough to score enough points to beat that team

Dawgs4Life #1967772 09/09/22 08:59 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Agreed.

Btw-------did anyone else see the stiff arm that Josh Allen had on that poor defender?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Agreed.

Btw-------did anyone else see the stiff arm that Josh Allen had on that poor defender?
Lol so crazy that he’s a QB with those physical traits

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Agreed.

Highlight of the game.

Rishuz #1967789 09/09/22 11:03 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

They are going to get Allen hurt running him so much.

But that was a huge swing and a miss by Dorsey.

Nope. Defenders are going to get injured if they keep trying to tackle so high.

We were afraid of the floor and refused to look up at the ceiling... and the narrative that QBs can't improve their accuracy.

I'll ask again as I did then. Would you trade 2.4 incompletions per game for someone that can throw 70 yards to any point of the field, from any angle, at any velocity, and runs like Gronk in the open field?

I'm more mad about this than bone-headed decision this franchise has ever made. We made a very simple decision too complicated based on narrative... instead of eye-popping facts.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1967792 09/09/22 11:17 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I mean hindsight is 20/20. Of course you would make that trade seeing as how he turned out. If you wanted Allen back then, kudos to you. I don't follow much college football so I don't remember if I had any strong opinions on who we should take except I didn't want Darnold. Actually, I think I wanted Rosen. I was lukewarm on the Baker pick and was hoping for the best, and he won me over in that Jets game.

The year before Allen came out I wanted him, but the accuracy thing was definitely a souring point his last year.

You still have to give these guys time. Baker was the best of the bunch after their rookie seasons and that was a largely universal opinion, even amongst Bills fans. The NFL is kind of the ultimate wait and see game.

Rishuz #1967801 09/09/22 12:07 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Oh ...did anyone see the t-shirts Allen had made up before the game...?

No? Me either.

Such a horrific thing to do making T Shirts! How many games do you think he should be suspended for?

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I've been switching back and forth between NFL Network and ESPN for the morning coverage.

Wow, is ESPN bad. Almost unwatchable.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Just clicking. The Panthers first four games are
Browns
Giants
Home Saints
Home Cardinals ...

They might be 6-0 when the play Tamp Bay Tom. or not, (but might be worth a watch.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Or the Panthers could be 0-6. THey truly are a team that I feel can go either way

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Wow that’s a terrible field!

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Nice day in Chi Town

Legend
Legend
huge shank by cincy's kicker

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Steelers going for the win in OT ...... THUD right of the upright. rofl

Legend
Legend
cincy and steelers kickers are trash. we have the superior kicker!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Boswell doink!

too much fun

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Panthers 24 Other Games

Link Copied to Clipboard