Next Thread
Print Thread
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
I'm bad at posting videos- please post this video- Architecture that's built to heal- Michael Murphy Ted talk on youtube. For some the video is too long- 15mins...a life time. Watch last 5 mins or so- it's about the National Monument being built in Montgomery, Alabama.
I'm white and old. JMHO, this monument would be healing over time. We, Americans, like to brag about our great nation and rightly so. Yet, we should admit we've hosed blacks, indians, and Japanize in specific ways. Murphy is great human being. I challenge you to watch whole video. Peace.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't forget Italians. Which, to date still has the largest public lynching in the history of the USA.

Oh! there is the Irish too... they were sold as slaves and lynched too.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
When were they enslaved? When did they suffer genocide and have all of their native lands stolen from them? Here's a hint. They didn't. Some of the things people get suckered into believing or rationalize as excuses are sickening.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
When were they enslaved? When did they suffer genocide and have all of their native lands stolen from them? Here's a hint. They didn't. Some of the things people get suckered into believing
or rationalize as excuses are sickening.

uh?

Irish were sold as Indentured Servants & Slaves.

https://www.google.com/books/editio...laves+in+america&printsec=frontcover

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Don't forget Italians. Which, to date still has the largest public lynching in the history of the USA.

Just to put some meat on those bones and put them into a useful thing called ... Perspective:

Lynching numbers - Black vs All Whites (not just Irish)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1175147/lynching-by-race-state-and-race/

Estimates on Slave totals, again all Whites v Black slave totals.

https://encyclopediavirginia.org/slavery-by-the-numbers/
https://nyupress.org/9780814742969/white-cargo/#:~:text=Description&text=In%20the%20seventeenth%20and%20eighteenth,shipped%20to%20America%20as%20slaves.

For those too lazy or not wanting to upset their confirmation bias - it's about 12.5 million Black Slaves to 300,000 White Slaves. Maybe those number are off some, I haven't fact checked or verified the sources. But, I think there is room for some data error and the difference still to be astounding.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B

As a Irishman...or at least my great-grand parents were..I was going to say. I have a old newspaper help wanted page with nearly half the adds saying "Irish Need Not Apply"

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888

Just to put some meat on those bones and put them into a useful thing called ... Perspective:

https://nyupress.org/9780814742969/white-cargo/#:~:text=Description&text=In%20the%20seventeenth%20and%20eighteenth,shipped%20to%20America%20as%20slaves.

For those too lazy or not wanting to upset their confirmation bias - it's about 12.5 million Black Slaves to 300,000 White Slaves. Maybe those number are off some, I haven't fact checked or verified the sources. But, I think there is room for some data error and the difference still to be astounding.

So because the numbers aren't as great, it doesn't really matter.

It doesn't matter. I am glad they are building the memorial.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

watching it now.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I said Perspective. I did not say it did not matter.

With that said and on a different topic but one tied to representation - at approximately 2% of the total of the Black Slaves and with you caring the minority in that instance, I hope with the LBBQT rate running a shade higher than 7% of the US population, that you care equally what the Trans and Gay population say and feel about the world and current affairs also. I see a lot of old white dudes dismiss them as if somehow their small numbers mean they should simply not be a factor in our laws and how communities respond to their needs, hopefully you aren't one of them.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/12/22 03:41 PM.

Legend
Legend
When were they enslaved? When did they suffer genocide and have all of their native lands stolen from them? Here's a hint. They didn't. Some of the things people get suckered into believing or rationalize as excuses are sickening.

ive seen this on social media more and more. conservatives trying to counteract the slavery perspective by trying to highlight other sickening - yet less impactful - events in American history.

and no, it's not because they actually care. remember how everytime we like to show compassion for migrant kids and at least not want them deported, and how conservatives would bring up homeless vets, despite not giving a single crap about them before nor mentioning them before? it's the same concept. Super only seems to bring up the irish and italians when non-whites are getting too much attention for his liking. he's done this before in previous threads.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
anyways,

Hitt, this was a really good video and i'm glad you put me on to it. The way he views and speaks about architecture and the impacts it can have on physical and emotional health was very eye opening and refreshing. it sucks because this is from 2016, yet if you look at our building styles across america today, it's only gotten more bland and uninspiring.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish

ive seen this on social media more and more. conservatives trying to counteract the slavery perspective by trying to highlight other sickening - yet less impactful - events in American history.

Super only seems to bring up the irish and italians when non-whites are getting too much attention for his liking. he's done this before in previous threads.

I bring it up because it's my heritage and people seem to forget that we were treated like complete trash when we came over.

Ironically, this, is big part of the reason the mob started.

Legend
Legend
sure, so you never seem to bring up your heritage unless it's something highlighting people who don't look like you.

i can say with 100% accuracy that i've brought up the discrimination against Irish people in this country far more in threads than you have, and not as a "well what about these folks" either.

i turn up more for irish people than you do. and we all know why.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
sure, so you never seem to bring up your heritage unless it's something highlighting people who don't look like you.

i can say with 100% accuracy that i've brought up the discrimination against Irish people in this country far more in threads than you have, and not as a "well what about these folks" either.

I bring it up when people attempt to bury my heritage's history because it doesn't fit their political agenda that blacks/Indians/Japanese were basically the only ones treated poorly.

The reality is Italians were the people that served, socialized, worked with, and married African Americans because we were treated much the same in many ways. Italians/Sicilians were frequently treated much the same as blacks - especially in the south. We were lynched and we had quota-based immigration restrictions until 1965 because people didn't want us here. Something like half of the Italian immigrants left because they were treated so poorly. The KKK targeted Italian Americans people protested against Italians living in their cities.

Italian Americans were suspected of being “anti-American” in the 30’s and 40’s because of the rise of fascism in Germany and Italy. Italians were threatened with detention and had to follow curfews, while Japanese people were in fact interned in detention camps. A registry of all Italian Americans was created and they were spied on by the government.

Next up... you are going to say that calling white women "Karen" is not racist

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I said Perspective. I did not say it did not matter.

With that said and on a different topic but one tied to representation - at approximately 2% of the total of the Black Slaves and with you caring the minority in that instance, I hope with the LBBQT rate running a shade higher than 7% of the US population, that you care equally what the Trans and Gay population say and feel about the world and current affairs also. I see a lot of old white dudes dismiss them as if somehow their small numbers mean they should simply not be a factor in our laws and how communities respond to their needs, hopefully you aren't one of them.

Not sure where that came from. I don't have any problem with people who are gay. I consider several to be friends. As for trans....ok...maybe not so much. I think they are strange, but if thats what they want, it's a free society. I may not bang the table for their cause, but I won't do anything against.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I bring it up when people attempt to bury my heritage's history because it doesn't fit their political agenda that blacks/Indians/Japanese were basically the only ones treated poorly.

The reality is Italians were the people that served, socialized, worked with, and married African Americans because we were treated much the same in many ways. Italians/Sicilians were frequently treated much the same as blacks - especially in the south. We were lynched and we had quota-based immigration restrictions until 1965 because people didn't want us here. Something like half of the Italian immigrants left because they were treated so poorly. The KKK targeted Italian Americans people protested against Italians living in their cities.

Italian Americans were suspected of being “anti-American” in the 30’s and 40’s because of the rise of fascism in Germany and Italy. Italians were threatened with detention and had to follow curfews, while Japanese people were in fact interned in detention camps. A registry of all Italian Americans was created and they were spied on by the government.

Next up... you are going to say that calling white women "Karen" is not racist

except nobody attempted to bury your history in this thread. you decided to feel like a victim. and again, if you only bring up your heritage in threads dealing with other people's heritage, you've sent the message that you don't actually give two craps about said heritage. it's a weapon in your view, nothing more.

funny that you brought up Karen, when that's exactly how you're acting in this thread.

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
I will add on the trans question....and I don't know how prevalent this really is, but I don't agree with changing children...again, I don't know if this really happens or is just some BS, but the person needs to be 18 and able to make their own decisions. Actually, I don't think 18 year olds are able to make those decisions, but that's another story.

I also don't think trans females, or maybe I should say trans males should be able to compete against females in sports. Females have long fought to even have sports programs in schools let alone some sort of equal financial footing through title 9 to have it wiped away by some dude who decides he is a female.

Back to my question because I don't know, maybe somebody can help. Take Bruce/Catilyn Jenner. Is he a trans male, or is she a trans female? Maybe both?

I guess it doesn't really matter. Just curious.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 09/13/22 05:52 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
All good Peen - those points and conversations are good/relevant to the question I asked but the question was really tangential to this thread. If we wanted to discuss in more detail we should start a new thread. Tend to agree with what you wrote here.

H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Thanks, Swish, I hope you watched the whole thing.....we all should aspire to live a life like Murphy. Thanks, again for video.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
Legend
Legend
P
I bring it up because it's my heritage and people seem to forget that we were treated like complete trash when we came over.

Ironically, this, is big part of the reason the mob started.

Sure it is. A fraction of the people for a very small fraction of the time. It took until the 1960's for blacks to even get civil rights. Your comparison is weak as hell.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Yet, Swish, the company they started has been doing things throughout the US.....key is to start, and to talk to right people.

I brought up the monument to lynchings because in my opinion we glorify the old South to much. I speak for myself, as a young white guy growing up in 50s I thought Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jeb Stuart were superheros/ today's terms- the underdog beating the larger, stronger guy. I had NO CLUE I was supporting the enemy. The Confederate flag really does represent an enemy of the United State.

In the South, they will tell you it's about freedom, states rights, just proud how they fought...on, on, on...JMHO, they- mostly whites- give NO thought to how monuments and cherished statues from the Confederacy effects black citizens- THEIR FELLOW COUNTRYMEN.

Just an example- what if US had been conquered by the Muslims like Spain was- they built lots of shrines and statues to Mohammed- do you think we Christians after taking back the country would have ANY problem taking them down. Look at what the Eastern bloc countries have done to Soviet statues. History is history, but we don't need foreign/alien (not-USA) stuff on government property FOREVER.

The brothers/sisters of the Confederacy can put their paid for stuff anywhere they want, but why should it be on PUBLIC land.

Lastly, I never said OTHER minorities were not stomped on- you name the minority and they all took lumps. JMHO, that is the human condition.....yet, blacks have been abused "historically" the most. I think the US has done best job trying to help blacks SPECIFICALLY.
Reverse discrimination has legally been used in jobs, admittance to schools, etc....the person hurt screams loudest.

H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
You have no clue. The lynching monument , JMHO, act as a reminder just like the Holocaust/Jewish concentration camps do in Germany.
We probably need sites for Indians and the Japanese at least.

You might not know this, but we are a relative young country- Roman Empire lasted thousands of years. Confederate praise should last forever because it is our history- MY answer is NO, it can be recognized in museums, but not on public land.

As a retired US military veteran- I'm for the renaming of military bases- again, why praise foreign leaders- we have plenty of heros we could and should honor.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you addressed that to the wrong poster. I totally agree with you. Honoring enemies of The United States who killed over 350,000 American soldiers is shameful.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
hitt i promise imma response to your post because its a good discussion but right now im freaking heated

- Theodore Roosevelt
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus National Monument to Lynchings

Link Copied to Clipboard