Next Thread
Print Thread
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
So back in 2004 my last game viewing at Cleveland. Opener beautiful sunny day, Me, my wife and youngest son were guest of Paul Zuk we were about 10 rows up at one of the endzone (opposite of the pound) Garcia was our QB Winslow our star rookie prior to the rocket incident. We beat the Ravens in the opener little did we know it would be 18 years before we won another opener. WE FINALLY DID IT.

Baker, its tough cause I loved Baker and what he did for the Browns how am I going to react??? Well by the 2nd qtr I'm yelling at the TV...HIT HIM HARD AND OFTEN come on D. I was over it not via words but by heart. Baker is not a Brown. He was very rusty and lets face it the PANTHERS Suck. Our D was attacking him every throw and the great McCaffery couldn't get more than a couple of yards. So we were able to pin our ears back and get him. Clowney statistically did nothing but there he was protecting the right boot leg and blocking at least 4 passes!. Our D was not just good it was AWESOME. Then came the 4th quarter and I don't know what happened, we thought we had the game one and relaxed. Baker stopped the stoopid Macadoo dink and dunk game and let loose with some long passes. Soon we had Baker running in for a Touchdown...ok our no TD edge was gone. Baker got the ball back and they sent their speedy WR deep and there was a complete lapse of coverage....bang soom a 75 yard bomb dropped perfectly into Anderson's arms, Oh know this can't be.

So now we had JB who was doing what he was suppose to do, NOT LOSE THE GAME. We were in complete control the entire game and then Baker woke up and put up 17 points in the 4th. Jocoby is and was not accurate. He did have a thing going with DPJ on some low throws that he somehow grabbed. He did not use the TE's like I thought he would. Finally Schwartz's confidence came alive and he became a factor. So there we were lined up for a 58 yard FG by our rookie Sargent York the most decorated WWI soldier and he did not let us down. a beautiful High kick starting just outside of the right goal post and slowing came hooking into the middle wit about 15 yards to spare. HERO!!! 4 FG in the game all perfect. Plus extra points. the kid could end up being our MVP cause without a QB we will have to depend on FGs and an awesome D!

Chubb and Hunt were both amazing without a doubt the best 1-2 punch in the NFL.

Sorry things are hurting and I got to go to bed. Love my Browns love my fellow fans. was watching on Youtube some Browns stuff and some of these guys suck. Stop with the Baker bashing. He no longer is a Brown and is the property of Panthers and their fans.

What the heck was SKI thinking there it was seconds before the half and we had 4th and goal from the 8 yard line and he is lining up to go for it. I'm like yelling NO NO this is not the time to go for it. Thank goodness their coach is dummer than ours and they call a time out....smh thank goodness it gave SKI time to come to his senses and we kicked the chippy FG. which turned out to be big time!!!

Any ways tell us what you saw - not all were able to watch so share your thoughts and vision of what you saw, I left a lot out there. Please don't make it all about Baker thank you, I apologize and don't mean to be a hypocrite as I wrote about Baker myself.

ENJOY!!!

Oh of course there I was with my Wife and youngest son watching the game like our last opener with a win!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Good to hear from you.

I don't think KS had any intention of going for it. Unless he saw an alignment that was perfect.

So far KS IMO has been very good at TO's, clock management. I don't mind going for it on fourth if I see a path to success.

We have the OL and backs to get most short yardage plays.

Baker is gone and I hope now forgotten.

The big play by Panthers. Newsome turned the coverage to the safety. JJ went underneath. Delpit was supposed to back Newsome.

Newsome was either supposed to stick to Anderson or Delpit was supposed to take him.

For the most part the defense was really good.

I thought Hudson did a good job at RT. Overall the OL was terrific.

It was interesting to see Hunt line up in the slot and at fullback. With Chubb and Hunt on the field it really puts the defense in a hard place. They had to honor Hunt in motion. Hunt led the blocking and the wall gave Chubb the opening. Teller really put a hurting on a few guys. Damn the Browns can run the ball.

I think JB was tight. It was the start of a season. He was emotional in his presser. He knows these opportunities are hard to come by.

I think as the games go by he will become more comfortable. His timing to throw on some plays was late. Getting the snap off was hectic.
He was tight on some throws that he should have made. He needs to be more calm. There were some guys left open that he never saw.
On the play before kicking the field goal when he overthrew Cooper in the endzone. Njoku was wide open underneath and could have walked in.

This week will be way easier. Normal game week. Jacoby can take a deep breath. Ease into the game. Know he can rely on his teammates.

I am hopeful he will be better as each week goes by.

Legend
Legend
I was at the game...what I saw, far more empty seats than a stadium should have on opening day.

We always start with the QB, right? Well if one of your big complaints about Baker was that he didn't look downfield for guys coming open and he opted to throw underneath all the time or hold the ball a little too long.. then I have some bad news for you. There were many WRs open or coming open down the field that JB either didn't see or opted to not throw to. It also frustrates me that he tends to float most throws, it's not a lack of arm strength, it just seems to be a preference of style. I noticed it in what limited preseason I saw of him and it was obvious watching him and Josh Dobbs warm up, throwing identical routes... Dobbs was throwing more on a line, JB was putting more air under the same throws.. anybody who goes to the next game, check me, watch them warm up and tell me if you see it.

The running game was stellar.. got really geeked up early when I saw Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time. Hope to see more of that. Didn't see much of D'Ernest at all though, I thought having both backs on the field would get him more opportunities, not less. Guess I was wrong.

The D was exceptional for the majority of the game, need to really clean up the mental mistakes, which is what cost us.

The officiating was ok. Both teams got a very bad call of roughing the passer... unfortunately for Carolina, theirs occurred on the final, game winning, possession, while ours was in their endzone early in the game and ended up amounting to nothing... so the one against Carolina stands out more. Both were horrible calls.

Special teams, Felton was scary diving for punts the whole game, need a better option for that. And then there is Cade York... have we started building his statue for outside the stadium yet? nanner

End of the day, we are 1-0 for the first time in forever and it feels good.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
DC, Johnson was a healthy scratch

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg
DC, Johnson was a healthy scratch

Interesting. I had not seen that. Thanks.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Normally I have to close my eyes or hide when it is attempt a field goal time.

For some strange reason I was relaxed. I really thought he was going to make it. At the same time went he did make it.

I came unglued. I did not want to lose that game. I did not want to hear about losing the opener again.

When you win the opener life is better. You are not under 500. Food tastes better. Your attitude is improved.

Unless of course you one of those who always look to the dark side of everything. We suck. Coach sucks. We will always suck. Jocoby is horrible.

How will Stefanski lose this game? We should have done this. Why did we do that? This player is a bust. Let's go eat some worms.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I saw a text that I sent to some buddies...it said 1-0...I followed that up with a comment that I don't remember the last time I sent - or could have sent - such a text. Were we even texting in 2004?

Legend
Legend
Fun fact, inside the stadium from the upper seats about at the goal line extended, you have no idea if a kick is online or not. So you tend to watch them on the monitor. The monitor shows the kicker from behind but the monitor is fairly shallow. When he kicked it, it started off well right on the goal posts as it left the monitor, and there was almost no wind in the stadium, so I made the immediate assumption that he missed it right. As the ball came down, back into view of the monitor, it was almost dead center and that's when the Browns representation at the game (which was significant) went nuts.

Another fun fact, lost in the euphoria of making that FG was how far up into the net his 58 yard FG hit.. it would have been good from easily another 10 yards. This guy will break records over time.

yebat' Putin
2 members like this: PitDAWG, Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
I think we were texting in 2004 but on brick phones lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, due to some buffering issues I only saw the web page for the Cleveland Browns radio network as I listened to the broadcast.

What I am glad to see is tab creating his "what I saw" thread. Good to see!

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw Corey Bojorquez place the ball in a couple great spots punting.

Brisset soft blocking a defender to help the runner pick up more yards

Saw a fake handoff to Chubb for a Hunt receiving TD

Myles Garret sacking Baker and

Clowney knocking down passes

Saw a game winning FG attempt heading towards the far right only

to see it hook back left entering inside center of the posts !!!!

Saw a lot of good blocks tackles and plays from all three sides of the ball.

Saw lots of Browns players coaches and fans celebrating a season opener on the road after 17 years of losing them.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by eotab

What the heck was SKI thinking there it was seconds before the half and we had 4th and goal from the 8 yard line and he is lining up to go for it. I'm like yelling NO NO this is not the time to go for it. Thank goodness their coach is dummer than ours and they call a time out....smh thank goodness it gave SKI time to come to his senses and we kicked the chippy FG. which turned out to be big time!!!
I really think Ski's only purpose was to take away one of the opponents TOs. It's just good game management. Had they not burnt one, we would have used ours and kicked the FG. Other possibility is they may jump offsides... making it 4th and G at the 4... that may have induced more consideration (but I still think we would have kicked the FG).

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted by FATE

I really think Ski's only purpose was to take away one of the opponents TOs. It's just good game management. Had they not burnt one, we would have used ours and kicked the FG. Other possibility is they may jump offsides... making it 4th and G at the 4... that may have induced more consideration (but I still think we would have kicked the FG).

Sorry there was absolutely no alternative scheme for what SKI did. have them burn a TO...there was only 21 seconds left if I recollect correctly. Nah no strategy there. Have them jump offsides as you said that would leave us with 4 yards to go, except we were not line us and giving a hard count or ready to do so. Point blank he was thinking about it cause our D was so dominant he didn't think we had to worry about going to 17 at the half. He was thinking about going for the jugular but that Panther time out got in his ear....WTF are you thinking about, come on coach get the sure 3 points! again the Panthers are a bad team and with bad coaching. We got to fix that 4th qtr breakdown 17 points in a comeback...just cannot do that!!!

Where was Bell was he a scratch. Dernest Johnson will be traded 6th or 7th rounder soon. I like Ford a lot and lets face it Chubb and Hunt are great!
I was shocked to see how fast Elliot is as he displayed his speed goin after Baker scrambling to his right. Now if only he could stay low on his first two steps from the snap. He stands up too often. Our FA pick up Tavan Bryant did pretty good he created a good wall at the los giving others time to jump on the run. That is big time in any game....stop the run 54 yds that is fantastic!!!

catch you all later...I was in ICU for a week fighting for my life. Right now this is the best I feel in 2 years. Got to maintain my health and get strong again as I was bedridden for most of those 2 years!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

1 member likes this: jfanent
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wishing you all the best, tab. However, Stefanski is excellent at managing the clock. He also has a great scheme. We are lucky to have him.

1 member likes this: eotab
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
catch you all later...I was in ICU for a week fighting for my life. Right now this is the best I feel in 2 years. Got to maintain my health and get strong again as I was bedridden for most of those 2 years!

EO...as a fellow Browns fan, I realize something some may not ... WE DON'T GIVE UP..!

It doesn't matter what the challenge may be, some just refuse to give up. That characteristic is instilled in us and the fact that many might not realize it or understand why some seem to possess that characteristic in spades, there is no denying that some of us possess that characteristic...never giving up, regardless of how the odds might be stacked against us.

EO...you keep fighting, knowing that many continue to fight along with you..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great news eo...Get well soon!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Great news EO!! You hang in there and keep fighting. I unfortunately lost my wife to cancer back in February after a long battle, but I have to say she was tough and never gave up right until the end. God Bless!!!

Legend
Legend

Sorry there was absolutely no alternative scheme for what SKI did. have them burn a TO...there was only 21 seconds left if I recollect correctly. Nah no strategy there. Have them jump offsides as you said that would leave us with 4 yards to go, except we were not line us and giving a hard count or ready to do so. Point blank he was thinking about it cause our D was so dominant he didn't think we had to worry about going to 17 at the half. He was thinking about going for the jugular but that Panther time out got in his ear....WTF are you thinking about, come on coach get the sure 3 points! again the Panthers are a bad team and with bad coaching. We got to fix that 4th qtr breakdown 17 points in a comeback...just cannot do that!!!

Where was Bell was he a scratch. Dernest Johnson will be traded 6th or 7th rounder soon. I like Ford a lot and lets face it Chubb and Hunt are great!
I was shocked to see how fast Elliot is as he displayed his speed goin after Baker scrambling to his right. Now if only he could stay low on his first two steps from the snap. He stands up too often. Our FA pick up Tavan Bryant did pretty good he created a good wall at the los giving others time to jump on the run. That is big time in any game....stop the run 54 yds that is fantastic!!!

I beg to differ bro.

21 seconds? You need two plays to get into FG range after the touchback. You want them to have the ability to call a TO after both?? Taking away the TO is just smart football.

Glad you're feeling well -- that's excellent news. Keep fighting and don't lose momentum while you're felling good!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I beg to differ bro.

21 seconds? You need two plays to get into FG range after the touchback. You want them to have the ability to call a TO after both?? Taking away the TO is just smart football.

Glad you're feeling well -- that's excellent news. Keep fighting and don't lose momentum while you're felling good!

I agree Fate.

Keep getting stronger EO!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Wishing you all the best, tab. However, Stefanski is excellent at managing the clock. He also has a great scheme. We are lucky to have him.

Your OPINION of course. Meanwhile tell me what he was thinking about right before the half as he had them lining up to run a play??? He can be all you say it doesn't mean he didn't have a brain fart of some kind and was ready to mess things up if it weren't for their dumb coaching staff calling a TO.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Homewood may her memories be eternal! If I see her soon I will express your love for her!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Won't beat a dead horse. All I know I saw about every commentary about our game that I could and not one defended SKI on that call nor mention the value of saving that TO. Ergo my reasoning in questioning SKI.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nevermind.

I wish you good health.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Nevermind.

I wish you good health.

No need for Kid gloves. Thank you though. But we should be able to have a discussion without taking it too personal.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Really good to hear that you feel good.

Football can take a back seat.

Everything begins with your health. The rest will take care of itself.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Truer words were never spoken!!!!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Panthers 24 What I saw Browns vs Panthers Game #1

Link Copied to Clipboard