Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Legend
Legend
O
This is what I was talking about.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
I’m not sure guaranteed money matters all that much with QBs. How many franchise QBs ever get cut?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was wrong. My apologies.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Teams like Pittsburgh and BAL stay at the top because they don't care what the players demands are.. If it aligns with their philosophy then it will happen.. Just because the Browns were stupid and gave Watson that albatross doesn't mean teams that are more successful are interested in doing so.. They can still franchise him. They still have all the leverage. This is why having another person to navigate this kind of stuff is needed.. Being your agent is dumb. These guys do this for a living and know all the nuances and pressure points to get things. Lamar there or not, Bal will still find a way to stay relevant. Lamar might have to leave and go to a team that expects him to adjust to their style. I think in the end they both get it done, but it won't be more than Watson

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I’m not sure guaranteed money matters all that much with QBs. How many franchise QBs ever get cut?

Fully guaranteed also covers injury. Ifa QB gets Theismanned in year two of five the money keeps coming.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Fully guaranteed also covers injury. Ifa QB gets Theismanned in year two of five the money keeps coming.

I honestly think this has to be a major concern with Lamar. He's been slippery and not taken big hits to date - but if you have a running QB it is always a risk. I wonder what the cost of insurance for the Ravens would be to insure against giving him a fully guaranteed contract and then having Lamar not being able to complete more than a season of the contract?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I honestly think this has to be a major concern with Lamar. He's been slippery and not taken big hits to date - but if you have a running QB it is always a risk. I wonder what the cost of insurance for the Ravens would be to insure against giving him a fully guaranteed contract and then having Lamar not being able to complete more than a season of the contract?

It has to be a huge concern for them. Lamar has done a great job of avoiding those big hits, but to be honest it will only take once where he doesn't to do some damage. People keep predicting he will get clobbered one day, and he has beat the odds thus far.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Is it a money thing with Biscotti? Or is it a Ravens contract philosophy thing?

I assume both. I remember part of the hubbub with Watson's contract is that the guaranteed portion (or a % of the guaranteed number) of the contract has to be held in escrow or something (translation: they basically have to pay up-front). Many owners don't have that kind of cheese just lying around for them to drop into an account.
Now that part I thought funny. (Only After what I heard on television a couple of years ago. but,
For NFL owners, I guess, pulling in I29-I65 (maybe closer to 200 million plus) million PER YEAR, Over Costs, just from the Television deals per team, ... it may not go as far as it used to.

Edit: And that doesn't take at all into account the appreciation value of their franchises on paper if up for sale; per year.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 09/12/22 07:32 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I would assume that, as rich as they are, many NFL aren't CASH-rich enough to drop so much in an account for a single contract.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
That’s the big issue. There’s a lot of owners that can’t set aside the full contract amount. My understanding is the owners have to be liquid enough to pay out all guaranteed money from the moment the contract is signed. Many owners don’t have those kinds of deep pockets. Brown in Cinci, nor Bisciotti in Baltimore have that kind of cash. There are others.
Jimmy is LOADED.

[Linked Image]
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
That’s the big issue. There’s a lot of owners that can’t set aside the full contract amount. My understanding is the owners have to be liquid enough to pay out all guaranteed money from the moment the contract is signed. Many owners don’t have those kinds of deep pockets. Brown in Cinci, nor Bisciotti in Baltimore have that kind of cash. There are others.
Jimmy is LOADED.

All the better for us. Love it.

There are Browns fans on this board that seem upset we have found this inefficiency and are using it to our advantage.

Love. It.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Oh I hope Lamar financially ruins Biciotti. Lol
Go get’m Lamar. Bleed him dry!!

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Rishuz
R
Legend
Legend
R
Yet we have people who seem legitimately upset about it like the Browns have done the shield a great disservice.

I say great.

Legend
Legend
Jimmy is LOADED.

well, I suppose each owner could dip into their private money, but generally speaking, that is not how a business is operated unless you're a small mom & pop operation. The money that would get set aside would come from the company's accounts, not Jimmy's wallet. Rich (smart) people don't splurge for their companies from their personal accounts; they do it from the accounts of the things they own.

I could be wrong on where we got the money for what we did, but I'd strongly doubt it. As for Bisciotti, if he doesn't have similar cash getting banked for that franchise, especially since it is a larger, more lucrative east coast market, he needs to re-evaluate Who is running the business side, and How.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, you won't ever see me shedding tears for the poor poor Balt/Cinci/whoever owner. Just trying to gain a better understanding of the situation.

I do think the Watson contract will end up being seen as an outlier. I think that's the case because of his unique situation as well as where he is in his career. Russ and Kyler got new contracts that don't track with his contract because their situation wasn't quite the same.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Is it a money thing with Biscotti? Or is it a Ravens contract philosophy thing?

It's that pesky little guaranteed issue that NFL QB's now have as leverage that they didn't have before. All any NFL contract is actually worth is the guaranteed portion and now there is a precedent of a fully guaranteed 230 million dollar contract on the table that was never there before. And the players know it. 133 mil. guarantee is a low ball offer if the report is true.

Is it a money thing that Biscotti doesn't want to fully guarantee the entire contract? Or is it a Ravens contract philosophy to not fully guarantee an entire contract?

I don't think I can dumb it down any more than that. If you feel like responding and still don't understand the question, I give up.

Speaking of dumbing it down for someone, I'll do my best here even though I doubt it helps. You see, the Ravens aren't the only team in the NFL. Players agents use precedent with which to gauge and negotiate contracts. A new precedent has been set. If the Ravens refuse to fully guarantee him a contract, he will find someone who will. Or at the very least almost fully guarantee his contract. He is in the upper level tier of QB's in the league. The precedent has been set. So Biscotti can either fall in line or start planning on trying to find a replacement for Jackson.

I hope that was simple enough for you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Jimmy is LOADED.

well, I suppose each owner could dip into their private money, but generally speaking, that is not how a business is operated unless you're a small mom & pop operation. The money that would get set aside would come from the company's accounts, not Jimmy's wallet. Rich (smart) people don't splurge for their companies from their personal accounts; they do it from the accounts of the things they own.

I could be wrong on where we got the money for what we did, but I'd strongly doubt it. As for Bisciotti, if he doesn't have similar cash getting banked for that franchise, especially since it is a larger, more lucrative east coast market, he needs to re-evaluate Who is running the business side, and How.
I don't know what "setting aside" monies from a company's accounts would look like as most companies aren't that cash-rich. Nor would it be okay with any board of a publicly held company, regardless of how rich the company is.

And it's not just showing that you are "liquid enough"...

"Part of the issue is the league's so-called “funding rule” that requires team owners to put into escrow the same amount of money they're guaranteeing a player."

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/cincinnati-bengals-news-nfl-rule/

Good article, not only about how it relates to the Bengal's owner, who is not "cash rich", but also the fact that many will now be urging the league to drop the rule. Consensus seems to be that the owners use this archaic rule to avoid fully-guaranteed contracts. Many say this long-time rule has no place in an age where revenues rise every year.

Make no mistake. Jimmy broke the faith of the good 'ole boys club and many owners are sour about it. It was easy for him to guarantee that money as he's been getting billion-dollar checks from Warren Buffet... as he transfers his majority stake in Pilot.

In the end, the league may level the field by doing away with what is considered an archaic rule. The only concern then is a "crash and burn" owner possibly asking for league funding (a bailout) when he's written checks he can't cover. What then? Force a sale of the team, or call it "too big to fail"?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Oh I hope Lamar financially ruins Biciotti. Lol
Go get’m Lamar. Bleed him dry!!

I suppose that would be the ultimate, full-circle karma for us, wouldn't it?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ravens/Jackson end contract talks

Link Copied to Clipboard