Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend
Any news on how these new chip plants are handling the economy? Still hiring or slowing down?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Some fields I think will see hiring freezers or layoffs.. mainly tech field right now... I know there are some areas that are still pretty wide open and frankly having trouble filling jobs...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With unemployment where it is, the people will not have a problem finding a job.

Build back better has not kicked in gear as of yet.

I can’t find people to hire. Been looking for months.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I can’t find people to hire. Been looking for months.

It's a pain. Hell, a lot of guys don't even show up to be interviewed after they were the ones who picked their preferred interview time. I hired one guy who did one small job and was never to be seen or heard from again........after he stole all the tools I gave him.

Legend
Legend
My company is still hiring for existing openings, but I don't think we're adding new ones even if we lose someone.
We also just offered up early retirement to everyone over, I think, 58 years of age... hopefully, this takes the place of a round of layoffs and it doesn't get beyond that.
We did the same in '08 before everything imploded; we saw it coming (because we're the trucking industry) and did a smaller layoff beforehand to avoid a larger scale panic layoff in the middle of it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: superbowldogg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jaybird
Some fields I think will see hiring freezers or layoffs.. mainly tech field right now... I know there are some areas that are still pretty wide open and frankly having trouble filling jobs...

I work at what is, essentially a giant machine shop. We've never been fully staffed up since the facility opened in 2017 or 2018. We're planning on a massive capacity expansion soon and I'm just hoping we figure out how machines are going to run themselves because there's no way we're going to stumble onto a windfall of experienced machinists.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I guess all those layoffs are a good thing. Y'all been bellyaching for months that nobody wants to work, so there should be plenty of new jobs in low-end service work to fill the void. Guess we'll see how many sit at home doing nothing, "taking handouts" vs. working in jobs that leave them unable to pay the bills. Should be very interesting.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
2 members like this: PitDAWG, OldColdDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Good share! lol. Yep, and going from tech jobs to MickyD's ain't gonna happen either. Nobody is going to do that unless they are beyond desperate. And the young and old people that do much of that work, they've caught on to the lies about how any job is better than no job. If you are happy where you are, good for you. If you are not, you should actively seek something better.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/21/22 10:44 PM.

Legend
Legend
With the number of open positions out there, it might be the good side of something that feels bad...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Most staffs are over managed by lazy ass people who sit around doing nothing all day. So yeah a lot of fat can be trimmed in upper and middle management everywhere.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 07/22/22 09:07 AM.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/layoffs-latest-companies-making-cuts-4830593/
more happening

Layoffs latest: Companies making cuts

By Andrew Murfett, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 2 hours ago

Announcements of layoffs, hiring freezes and rescinded job offers have roiled the tech industry and startup community for several months. Now companies across multiple sectors are making staff cuts as executives worry about a possible recession and weigh "all manner of adverse near-term effects on their businesses," Puck writes. Despite those mounting signs of economic trouble, CNBC notes that overall employer demand for workers “remains extremely high” and that layoffs are "near historical lows.”

This year's layoffs have ushered in a new trend, reports The Wall Street Journal: announcing a job loss on social media. The reason is twofold — to share about the experience and also to network with recruiters.

Firms that have announced layoffs since the beginning of July include:

Wearable-tech maker Whoop is laying off 15% of its 630-person workforce, while rowing-tech company Hydrow is cutting 35% of its staff. Both companies are based in Boston.
Food tech startup Lunchbox has laid off 33% of its workforce.
7-Eleven has laid off around 880 corporate employees after its $21 billion acquisition of Speedway.
Ford plans to cut as many as 8,000 jobs, mostly in its gas-fueled vehicle division, Bloomberg has said, citing anonymous sources.
Asurion, a Nashville-based global tech services company, laid off 750 employees. It cut about 300 workers in November 2019.
Healthtech firm Olive joined a growing list of Central Ohio companies making layoffs by cutting 450 jobs.
LinkedIn members have posted about being laid off this week, at: online pharmacy Capsule, a New York City-based tech unicorn; Michigan-based internet security platform Censys; Utah-based Traeger Grills; online banker Varo, digital-collaboration startup Mural, AI sales platform People.ai, and hiring platform Workstream, all based in San Francisco.
Other companies making layoffs this month: wireless giant T-Mobile, supply-chain tech platform Project44, Seattle real estate startup Flyhomes, and Near Intelligence Inc.
Three applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy service providers announced cuts: Forta, 360 Behavioral Health, and Center for Autism & Related Disorders (CARD).
Genetic testing firm Invitae laid off 1,000 employees – 40% of its workforce – and made numerous changes at the executive level.
Video platform Vimeo CEO Anjali Sud announced 6% staff cuts in a LinkedIn post.
OpenSea CEO cites "crypto winter" as NFT giant lays off 20% of staff.
Victoria's Secret laid off about 160 managers as part of a restructuring.
Online mortgage banker loanDepot is laying off about 4,800 employees this year, a 42% cut to its workforce, which numbered 11,300 at the end of 2021.
Tonal, a Peloton competitor in the connected workout equipment field, laid off 35% of its workforce as it eyes an initial public offering.
ChowNow, a delivery and marketing service for restaurants, laid off about 100 workers ear just days after "instant" delivery startup Gopuff cut 1,500 of its global workforce and closed 76 U.S. warehouses. More recently, food-tech startup Lunchbox laid off 60 employees, a third of its workforce.
Virtual events platform Hopin, a tech unicorn valued at $7.75 billion, laid off 29% of employees.
Electric carmaker Rivian said it was cutting "hundreds" after conceding it "grew too fast."
Food-tech companies Sunday and Nextbite announced restructuring and layoffs.
Healthcare companies OhioHealth and Alto cut staff.
Next Insurance, a small business insurance provider, laid off 17% of its workforce.
Video game retailer GameStop announced layoffs and also said chief financial officer Mike Recupero was leaving the company.
Twitter laid off about one-third of its talent acquisition team.
At the end of June, San Francisco was in the spotlight as layoffs were made by numerous tech companies: game developers Niantic and Unity, online newsletter platform Substack and real estate company HomeLight. Elsewhere, data storage provider Qumulo and Parallel Wireless also made cuts.

June's more high-profile companies making cuts include:

Tesla employees were subjected to two rounds of layoffs, one in mid-June and another two weeks later in which a California office was closed and 200 employees cut.
Streaming giant Netflix laid off 300 employees in late June after cutting 150 a month earlier.
Brokerage firms Redfin and Compass
Online personal styling service Stitch Fix
Cryptocurrency exchange platforms Coinbase, Gemini and Bitpanda
Social audio platform Clubhouse

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'lll try to see if I can find anything on it. It seems like there are some hurdles that haven't been worked out yet...

https://fortune.com/2022/06/28/glob...-semiconductor-plants-chips-act-funding/

Chip makers are refusing to build new semiconductor plants in the U.S. unless Congress unlocks $52 billion in funding

P
Legend
Legend
P
Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 372,000 in June, and the unemployment rate remained at 3.6 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Notable job gains occurred in professional and business services, leisure and hospitality, and health care.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
I'lll try to see if I can find anything on it. It seems like there are some hurdles that haven't been worked out yet...

https://fortune.com/2022/06/28/glob...-semiconductor-plants-chips-act-funding/

Chip makers are refusing to build new semiconductor plants in the U.S. unless Congress unlocks $52 billion in funding

yea for sure. that's the part that is confusing. they announced these plans but now want congress to cough up 52 bill? i swear these corporations announce these "developments" just to hype up the people in the area where the site will be built, only to force government to give massive tax breaks or there will be a "loss" of job opportunities.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Corporations have been bribing the state, local and federal government to pay them money to build and move to locations for decades now. Nothing really new here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Corporations have been bribing the state, local and federal government to pay them money to build and move to locations for decades now. Nothing really new here.

Yup, just look at what happens when a football team wants changes to their stadium, or even a new one. It usually isn't even bribing, it's straight up coercion with real threats to move their business to another city, state, country. The bigger the company, the more leverage they have and they know it. That's How and Why it happens and won't change, because some other city/state/country will always give in to close the deal, so everyone HAS to play the game.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The economy only works if everyone becomes multi-millionaires,
or becomes homeless, inprisoned, criminals. There is no middle ground. The message, handed down, is loud and clear.
The worlds' largest Ponzi scheme.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Inflation will soon be higher than Biden's approval rating.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING

What a ridiculous thing to say.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING

What a ridiculous thing to say. What's funny is that Biden is still more popular than Trump in every poll. Biden beats Trump in every 2024 election poll, every poll.

E
Legend
Legend
E
[Linked Image from a57.foxnews.com]

Biden can't even beat members of his own party. How's he going to beat Trump?

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
Newsome wouldn't be a terrible candidate. But I struggle with how He allowed his relationship with his wife get to the point that she left to be with Jr. But Jr. seems happy with his seconds.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Newsome wouldn't be a terrible candidate. But I struggle with how He allowed his relationship with his wife get to the point that she left to be with Jr. But Jr. seems happy with his seconds.

They split in 2005, and Kim didn’t get with Jr until 2019-2020. I’d say he didn’t “allow” anything, and she isn’t his property.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

They split in 2005, and Kim didn’t get with Jr until 2019-2020. I’d say he didn’t “allow” anything, and she isn’t his property.

I never said she was. And I honestly thought she left him for Trump. I didn't like the thought of that and questioned how he could allow that to happen. So call it uninformed or poorly informed but damn sure not sexist, you know me better than that.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/shopify-laying-off-10-of-workforce-4869593/

Shopify laying off 10% of workforce

By Jessy Bains, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 2 hours ago

Shopify is laying off 10% of its global workforce according to the Wall Street Journal. It’s backtracking on a pandemic bet that e-commerce growth would continue. “It’s now clear that bet didn’t pay off,” said CEO Tobi Lütke in an internal memo. The approximately 1,000 cuts will be across the board, but most will be in recruiting, support and sales. Duplicate, overspecialized, and roles described as “convenient to have but too far removed from building products” are also being cut. Staff who are being let go find out Tuesday.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Cutting 1000 from their "global workforce" huh? I wonder how many American jobs that actually is?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Meh, downscaling due to inflation slowing tipped services. A friend that works for a couple of the food delivery gig apps said they are lowing payouts and less busy too. A lot of businesses either are already struggling or will be if inflation keeps on keeping on.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/layoffs-latest-companies-making-cuts-4830593/
firms that have announced layoffs since the beginning of July include:

Vox Media laid off 39 employees, its fourth round of staff cuts since the start of 2018.
A couple of Canadian companies made cuts: E-commerce platform Shopify is laying off about 1,000 employees, 10% of its workforce, and tech startup Clearco is cutting an unspecified number of staff.
New York City-based visual collaboration platform InVision announced layoffs and a CEO change in a LinkedIn post.
Wearable-tech maker Whoop is laying off 15% of its 630-person workforce, while rowing-tech company Hydrow is cutting 35% of its staff. Both companies are based in Boston.
Food tech startup Lunchbox has laid off 33% of its workforce.
7-Eleven has laid off around 880 corporate employees after its $21 billion acquisition of Speedway.
Ford plans to cut as many as 8,000 jobs, mostly in its gas-fueled vehicle division, Bloomberg has said, citing anonymous sources.
Asurion, a Nashville-based global tech services company, laid off 750 employees. It cut about 300 workers in November 2019.
Healthtech firm Olive joined a growing list of Central Ohio companies making layoffs by cutting 450 jobs.
LinkedIn members have posted about being laid off this week, at: online pharmacy Capsule, a New York City-based tech unicorn; Michigan-based internet security platform Censys; Utah-based Traeger Grills; online banker Varo, digital-collaboration startup Mural, AI sales platform People.ai, and hiring platform Workstream, all based in San Francisco.
Other companies making layoffs this month: wireless giant T-Mobile, supply-chain tech platform Project44, Seattle real estate startup Flyhomes, and Near Intelligence Inc.
Three applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy service providers announced cuts: Forta, 360 Behavioral Health, and Center for Autism & Related Disorders (CARD).
Genetic testing firm Invitae laid off 1,000 employees – 40% of its workforce – and made numerous changes at the executive level.
Video platform Vimeo CEO Anjali Sud announced 6% staff cuts in a LinkedIn post.
OpenSea CEO cites "crypto winter" as NFT giant lays off 20% of staff.
Online mortgage banker loanDepot is laying off about 4,800 employees this year, a 42% cut to its workforce, which numbered 11,300 at the end of 2021.
Tonal, a Peloton competitor in the connected workout equipment field, laid off 35% of its workforce as it eyes an initial public offering.
ChowNow, a delivery and marketing service for restaurants, laid off about 100 workers ear just days after "instant" delivery startup Gopuff cut 1,500 of its global workforce and closed 76 U.S. warehouses. More recently, food-tech startup Lunchbox laid off 60 employees, a third of its workforce.
Virtual events platform Hopin, a tech unicorn valued at $7.75 billion, laid off 29% of employees.
Electric carmaker Rivian said it was cutting "hundreds" after conceding it "grew too fast."
Food-tech companies Sunday and Nextbite announced restructuring and layoffs.
Healthcare companies OhioHealth and Alto cut staff.
Next Insurance, a small business insurance provider, laid off 17% of its workforce.
Video game retailer GameStop announced layoffs and also said chief financial officer Mike Recupero was leaving the company.
At the end of June, San Francisco was in the spotlight as layoffs were made by numerous tech companies: game developers Niantic and Unity, online newsletter platform Substack and real estate company HomeLight. Elsewhere, data storage provider Qumulo and Parallel Wireless also made cuts.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://deadline.com/2022/07/warner...ming-decisions-loom-earnings-1235081582/

Warner Bros. Discovery Faces First Post-Honeymoon Earnings As Layoffs, Streaming Decisions Loom

https://www.businessinsider.com/tech-industry-layoffs-tesla-coinbase-facebook-2022-7
Tech's great layoffs: Over 30,000 tech employees lost their jobs as of July. These are their stories in their own words.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-genetics-Invitae-layoffs-17339329.php
San Francisco genetic tech company Invitae will lay off 1,000 employees, including over 700 local employees

B
Legend
Legend
B
I see hiring freeze's happening, but as far as lay-offs, I see it more as a "white collar" recession.

Just another step in the process to wipe out the American dream where people could advance and take steps up the ladder.

Communism leads to most everybody living in the "company town" where all of your needs are taken care of, but everybody is broke with no hope to move out or up.

The sad part is it looks like many are buying in to that thought. Good luck with that. I hope you realize that the only way out of that is to fight your way out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Day of the Dawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thank you Joe McCarthy.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think giving people the ability to improve their station in life through hard work and ambition is not only good for the individual but also for the country as a whole.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, I'm not worried about the upper one third on bell curve of intelligence- the middle one third and bottom third are going to have troubling times. I lament loss of many manufacturing jobs- cars, air conditioning, steel plants, etc.- the bottom line drives corporate America- loss of corporate civic responsibility hurts. Example- how can Chick Filet close on Sunday, offer all employees some health benefits and still make a profit. We, as a country, need to rethink the American dream of everyone needs/ should have college degree and nationally recognize ALL LABOR is honorable and worth praise- garbage man or woman, and retail clerks/ stockers. Manufacturing jobs are key in my mind- better paying normally and help with dollar recycling on our shores.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
3 members like this: mgh888, FATE, dawglover05
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/layoffs-latest-companies-making-cuts-5956730/

By Bobby Armstrong, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 59 minutes ago

The economic downturn has produced a summer of discontent for employers and workers alike, as layoffs, hiring freezes and rescinded job offers carried on into August. The specter of a recession continues to loom, even in the face of a hiring boom and a 3.5% unemployment rate that matches a 50-year low set just before the pandemic.

The layoffs have ushered in a new trend, reports the Wall Street Journal: announcing a job loss on social media to share about the experience and to network with recruiters.
Tips for navigating your career in uncertain times can be found here.

Firms that have announced layoffs since the beginning of August include:

Apple has laid off about 100 contract-based recruiters as it seeks to slow hiring and spending, reports Bloomberg.
HBO and HBO Max laid off 14% of their staff, or 70 employees, following the merger of parent company WarnerMedia and Discovery.
SoulCycle has shuttered a quarter of its cycling studios and cut 75 employees.
Signify Health, a Dallas-based home health services company, is laying off almost 500 workers in four states.
Peloton Interactive cut nearly 800 employees and announced store closures and price increases.
Gannett, the nation's largest newspaper publisher, is laying off dozens of journalists across at least 20 newsrooms.
Citing an "ever-changing macroeconomic environment," Best Buy has cut hundreds of store-based jobs, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Malwarebytes employees are posting on LinkedIn about layoffs at the Bay Area-based cybersecurity firm. Layoffstracker.com reports 125 people were affected by the cuts.
Meditation app Calm is laying off 20% of its staff, according to an internal memo obtained by The Wall Street Journal.
Warby Parker, an online retailer of prescription glasses, is laying off 63 corporate employees, 2% of its overall workforce and 15% of its corporate staff.
Video game developer Jam City, which has offices across the U.S. and Canada, is laying off about 200 employees.
LinkedIn members shared about staffing cuts made at other companies: real estate tech platform Doma, which also laid off staff in May; cannabis tech Weedmaps; childcare management app brightwheel; analytics software platform Sisu, and payments processor Fiserv.
Walmart is laying off as many as 200 corporate employees in areas such as merchandising and real estate.
Online brokerage Robinhood laid off 23% of its staff in its second round of cuts this year.
Global software giant Oracle is laying off an unspecified number of employees in its U.S. customer experience unit.

July's more high-profile companies making cuts include:

7-Eleven laid off about 880 corporate employees after its $21 billion acquisition of Speedway.
Ford is cutting up to 8,000 jobs, mostly in its gas-fueled vehicle division, anonymous sources told Bloomberg.
Crypto giant OpenSea cut 20% of staff.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/layoffs-latest-companies-making-cuts-5425332/

An economy stuck in neutral and the threat of recession have prompted companies across all sectors to cut costs by laying off workers, enacting hiring freezes and rescinding job offers. A recent survey of 700 executives revealed that an eye-popping 70% of them are planning layoffs or considering to do so, a number that also applies to hiring freezes. The news isn't all bad: There are about two job openings for every unemployed person and hiring increased by 6.5% in August, the first monthly increase since April.

The layoffs have ushered in a trend, according to the Wall Street Journal: announcing a job loss on social media to share about the experience and to network with recruiters.
Tips for navigating your career in uncertain times can be found here.

Patreon laid off its entire five-member security team, prompting a backlash among LinkedIn members.

High-profile companies making cuts in August:

T-Mobile laid off an unspecified number of workers in its network-operations and engineering group as part of a restructuring.
Bed Bath & Beyond cut 20% of its corporate staff, eliminated its chief operating officer and chief stores officer roles, and will close about 150 stores.
Snap, Snapchat's parent company, laid off 20% of staff – about 1,300 employees – as part of a major restructuring.
Ford laid off 3,000 salaried and contract workers in the U.S., Canada and India.
Boston-based Wayfair cut 870 jobs worldwide.
Apple laid off about 100 contract-based recruiters.
HBO and HBO Max cut 14% of staff, or 70 employees, after the merger of parent company WarnerMedia and Discovery.
Peloton Interactive cut nearly 800 employees and announced store closures and price increases.
Best Buy cut hundreds of store-based jobs.
Walmart laid off as many as 200 corporate employees.
Online brokerage Robinhood laid off 23% of its staff in its second round of cuts this year.
Global software giant Oracle cut an unspecified number of employees in its U.S. customer experience unit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/12/gol...ith-hundreds-of-job-cuts-this-month.html
Goldman Sachs to kick off Wall Street layoff season with hundreds of job cuts this month

The unemployment rate rose in August from 3.5% to 3.7%, but employers still added 315,000 jobs.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Which towns are "company towns" please. Can you provide a list? Communism- which states / cities are communist? Please inform us.

I agree "white collar jobs" are taking hits, but LOTS of stores have help wanted signs out. Universities give you a degree and take your money---IT IS YOUR responsibility to know where the jobs are and in what fields.

On point of post- Mass Layoffs and Hiring Freezes----standard bs put out by Republicans- the economy is tanking, sky is falling. Right, check the DOW, check the number of cars on road, people flying, etc.,etc. The US is mostly still doing its thing.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
You listed about 12 companies laying off folks- 100 from Apple- they employ nearly 37,000 folks. The US business cycle NORMALLY has ups and downs.

Wonder how many businesses will hire for the upcoming Christmas PUSH.

Jobs can be had- plumbers, roofers, electricians....all the TRADES are looking for people. White collar jobs are ALWAYS iffy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I will respond with my definition of a company town. It's nothing like in the late 19th and early 20th centuries version IMO.

We have several here in Tennessee and they exist in many rural areas across America. And I'm willing to bet almost anything it's not what Peen meant. Many of these small towns are very rural and stagnant. Their tax base is close to zero and there is no possibility of jobs in the area or growth. So they become "company towns". They give out huge tax breaks in order to draw in a company to move there and provide jobs. They compete against each other all across the nation to see who can give away the most corporate welfare in order to bribe that business to their town. It shifts all of the tax burden off of the business and places it all at the feet of their workers. The company gets a free ride.

They can keep wages and benefits low because I mean, where in the hell else is anyone going to get a job? Most rural people think unions are evil, so there's no threat of their workers organizing. I mean what company wouldn't love that!? No taxes and cheap labor! It's like a corporate paradise!

From that moment forward all the company has to do once those tax breaks end is threaten to move their business to get more extended tax breaks. The town is at the mercy of the company. The towns tax base and future income is linked directly to that company. They are at the companies mercy. You'll hear all kinds of excuses as to why that's okay. How much it helps that town to excuse these companies paying their fair share. How the town had no choice in order to get jobs for their citizens. None of that changes a damned thing.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Are Mass Layoffs and Hiring Freezes Going to Start?

Link Copied to Clipboard