Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
That is a great question. I am not sure about this, but I think in this case, the yardage is counted as "loose-ball yardage" and is not included in individual stats, but instead in team stats.

I thought it might be something like, maybe like a team rebound or loose ball in basketball.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hopefully the Baker stuff is behind us now, he helped to turn this ship in the right direction, so I give him credit for that, but this ship has a new captain now and it's time to sail away from Baker and put him and all his controversy behind us ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Swish #1969750 09/13/22 06:59 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V

FORTBROWNFAN #1969751 09/13/22 07:00 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
That is a great question. I am not sure about this, but I think in this case, the yardage is counted as "loose-ball yardage" and is not included in individual stats, but instead in team stats.

I thought it might be something like, maybe like a team rebound or loose ball in basketball.

That is a good comparison. I like it.

FORTBROWNFAN #1969752 09/13/22 07:09 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
This isn't all that important, but I have a stats question that I haven't noticed anyone else ask.

I was looking over ESPN's box score from Sunday's game and it showed McCaffery's longest run as 9 yards. I know he picked up the Baker fumble and rambled about 28 yards. I assume from the box score this is not considered rushing yards, but I can't find it as return yards or anywhere else.

Any stat guys know how this is classified? Does it count towards the Panthers yardage total?

To piggyback off of this, Myles touched Baker down behind the line of scrimmage after Baker fumbled the snap and fell on the ball. I thought for sure that was a sack and would have given Myles three on the day. But he's only getting credited for the two in the third quarter. I'm guessing the explanation is Baker turned himself into a runner by falling on the ball.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
FORTBROWNFAN #1969768 09/13/22 09:08 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
This isn't all that important, but I have a stats question that I haven't noticed anyone else ask.

I was looking over ESPN's box score from Sunday's game and it showed McCaffery's longest run as 9 yards. I know he picked up the Baker fumble and rambled about 28 yards. I assume from the box score this is not considered rushing yards, but I can't find it as return yards or anywhere else.

Any stat guys know how this is classified? Does it count towards the Panthers yardage total?

The reason no rushing yards were credited to CMC was because the play was officially ruled a fumble by the center and ruled an aborted play by Mayfield. On aborted plays no yards are credited for advancing the ball.

3. Aborted Plays

An aborted play is a play from scrimmage during which there is neither a pass nor a kick,
which falls into one of the following categories:

A. The ball is clearly centered improperly, meaning that the ball does not reach the intended
receiver of the snap within the frame of his body or arm-span;

B. The intended ball-handler fumbles the snap from center

In each of these cases, charge a rush for 0 yards.

https://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentation/stadiumguides/guide_for_statisticians.pdf

https://www.nfl.com/games/browns-at-panthers-2022-reg-1?active-tab=watch

1 member likes this: FATE
Rishuz #1969771 09/13/22 09:14 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz

To piggyback off of this, Myles touched Baker down behind the line of scrimmage after Baker fumbled the snap and fell on the ball. I thought for sure that was a sack and would have given Myles three on the day. But he's only getting credited for the two in the third quarter. I'm guessing the explanation is Baker turned himself into a runner by falling on the ball.

Same as my post to FORT. If you're talking about the play on the Panthers second possession, it was officially ruled an aborted play by Mayfield and charged as a rush for no gain. Garrett got credit for the tackle.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
Swish #1969780 09/13/22 09:59 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

As far as PFF scores are concerned, did all the poor snaps between Baker and their C Pat Elflein not affect their PFF score? I've watched a lot of football, and that had to be up there, in regards to horrible snaps and exchanges between the two....I know losing Bradley Bozeman hurt them, but Elflein was snapping the ball really low or high all game, which thankfully, ruined most plays.

Milk Man #1969804 09/14/22 08:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the explanation, Milk.

I was not aware of any statistical rules for "Aborted Plays".

Learned something new -- thanks to you. thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Swish #1969883 09/14/22 01:20 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's really odd that a poster who did not watch the game and has said that he is no longer rooting for the team has so many posts in a Post Game thread. The definition of a troll.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's really odd that a poster who did not watch the game and has said that he is no longer rooting for the team has so many posts in a Post Game thread. The definition of a troll.

A poster who has that poster blocked taking cheap shots at him while trying to label someone else a troll. The very definition of a troll.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Rishuz #1969967 09/14/22 09:45 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

That makes we wonder if the NFL uses something akin to an official scorer in baseball.

Milk Man #1969968 09/14/22 09:49 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Same as my post to FORT. If you're talking about the play on the Panthers second possession, it was officially ruled an aborted play by Mayfield and charged as a rush for no gain. Garrett got credit for the tackle.

Thanks Milk. I am surprised I could watch the NFL for 50+ years and never hear that term before. I must have been sleeping. Do you know if those 28 yarss are included in the Panthers' total yards? I assume not, by your description.

FORTBROWNFAN #1969973 09/14/22 10:57 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thanks Milk. I am surprised I could watch the NFL for 50+ years and never hear that term before. I must have been sleeping. Do you know if those 28 yarss are included in the Panthers' total yards? I assume not, by your description.

The yardage is not included in the team total yardage.

Swish #1970046 09/15/22 11:58 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Don't know how much I can get on here but here goes:

Even without Baker the Browns are the Browns

Maybe statistically Ski called a good game, but there is still no rhythm or momentum. I know JB wasn't what you'd want, but there's no reason Ski couldn't have dialed up a 300yrd rushing day.

I've been critical of Myles in that yes, he gets great sack numbers, but its not that often he gets a sack when you really need him to. For a guy who was supposed to decimate Baker he certainly didn't close out the game.

A huge difference in the offensive play calling vs. last year is that Ski isn't rotating in literally 11 different pass catchers. There was consistency at least in that regard. There was never any consistency or continuity in that regard last year yet everyone thought Baker should have had perfect timing and connection with 11 different players

Carolina had a rough start and didn't know how to respond but Baker kept his cool and they started to figure it out. I think his receivers started to come alive after they saw he wasn't giving up.

I don't know what it is about this defense that has such a hard time closing out games.

Its a W... I don't know how encouraging it is considering it needed a statistical anomaly of a 58 yrd FG from a rookie (I swear it was good for 65 easy..)

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Swish #1970071 09/15/22 01:10 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V

Swish #1970208 09/16/22 08:33 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Swish #1970224 09/16/22 10:08 AM
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Swish #1970403 09/17/22 11:02 AM
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
2 members like this: Ballpeen, Versatile Dog
Milk Man #1970410 09/17/22 11:37 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Milk Man

The reason no rushing yards were credited to CMC was because the play was officially ruled a fumble by the center and ruled an aborted play by Mayfield. On aborted plays no yards are credited for advancing the ball.

3. Aborted Plays

An aborted play is a play from scrimmage during which there is neither a pass nor a kick,
which falls into one of the following categories:

A. The ball is clearly centered improperly, meaning that the ball does not reach the intended
receiver of the snap within the frame of his body or arm-span;

B. The intended ball-handler fumbles the snap from center

In each of these cases, charge a rush for 0 yards.

https://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentation/stadiumguides/guide_for_statisticians.pdf

I did not know that there could be aborted plays for 0 yards.
Of course the only way to make aborted plays, if they may = 0 yards, make sense is to classify aborted plays as technicaly "special teams" plays.
( I always kind of considered any fumble or interception play, or a muffed return, literaly any play with a live ball as falling into the category of special teams anyway.)
( Because, Marty Schottenheimer famously often professes, there are 3 elements to a game, Offense, Defense, and Special teams, and the team that wins 2 usually wins the game.)

Hey, Marty Schottenheimer won More Division titles, and more big game regular season matchups than any other coach to ever live. I think. wink

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Swish #1970419 09/17/22 01:18 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
4 members like this: Versatile Dog, GratefulDawg, Ballpeen
Swish #1970444 09/17/22 09:54 PM
Legend
Legend
Lol classic

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1970476 09/18/22 07:18 AM
Legend
Legend
OMG LMAO Eve!

#gmSTRONG
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Panthers 24 Post Game

Link Copied to Clipboard