Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Numbers:

Both teams are 1 and 1.

Browns are a 3.5 point favorite.

Over/Under is 40.5.

Browns are averaging 380 yards of offense a game. The Steelers are averaging 255.

Browns are allowing 331.5 yards per game on defense. The Steelers are giving up 404 yds per game.

Steelers are plus 4 in Turnover Differential. Browns are plus 1.

Key Matchups:

--The Steelers OL is really bad. The Browns need to shut down the run and pressure Trubisky. Doing so should result in a victory. Not accomplishing these things will make things very difficult for the Browns.

--The Browns running game should wear down the Steelers D and the Browns should be able to use play action. I also think that Cooper could have another solid game. If the Steelers shut down the Browns run game and we are playing behind the chains, it might look ugly.

--The Special teams need to have a better day. The Browns should just boot it out of the endzone when they are kicking off. Both teams have quality kickers. Both teams have punt returners who have fumbled.

Miscellaneous:

The Browns need to play well from the beginning. There is a segment of our fan base who wants to see the team fail and will boo early and often at the first sign of trouble. Gotta start off hot and shut them up and give the rest of the fans [the majority] to cheer and rock the place.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the team isn't up for this game after the terrible way that we lost last Sunday's game, then heads will surely roll after the game, but I think that we will do just enough to win a close one, with the defense continuing to having a few blown coverages, because that seems to be our MO.

Like with most Browns vs Steelers games. I think that you can dismiss their records and their stats which came before.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Browns -5.5

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Teams have only played two games. While it's true that's all the stats you have to base anything on so far, it really gives you no indication of what a team is capable of how how you will match up against them.

I think the argument could easily be made that both the Bengals and the Patriots are better teams than either the Panthers or the Jets which would be a factor that would skew those stats. So much as you stated, I think we can throw out the records and the stats after only two games having been played by both teams.

How this game will end up is anyone's guess at this point.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll root for the Browns as usual but have zero expectations. We don't know which D or O will show up. And personally, I feel Tomlin is by far the better coach. Ski was great in year one but hasn't seemed able to get our players all on the same page since. It makes me yearn for the days coaches would go nuts on players for screwing the pooch during the game.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/20/22 11:43 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Browns -5.5
Browns -4.5

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think we match-up well w/the Steelers. I think their OL is weak and I think we can run on their D. I think Brissett is playing better than Trubisky. I think playing at home should be an advantage. The thing that scares me is that we don't usually play well vs the Steelers. We beat their backups to get in the playoffs two years ago and then stomped them in the playoffs, but last year it was back to normal. We were 4 and 3 and Pittsburgh came in and beat us 15 to 10. Later in the season, they humiliated us and I'll never forget watching their players laughing at Baker. So, while I think we should win this game........I can't say I'm confident.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The Steelers offense is really struggling. I heard something on TV about the offense only generated 60 yards of offense in the second half of week 1 and only had 20 total yards in the 4th quarter in week 2.

Here is one of many articles on that talks about their offensive woes.

Amanda Filipcic-Godsey | Steelers offense struggling to find groove

Amanda Filipcic-Godsey
CNHI Pa. Sports Sep 20, 2022

PITTSBURGH – Anemic. Lackluster. Uninspiring.

These are just three of the many words that can be used to describe the Pittsburgh Steelers offense two weeks into the 2022 season.

In Week 1 against the Cincinnati Bengals, the Steelers were plus-five in turnovers. The team still needed an entire 10-minute overtime period, an injury to the Bengals’ long snapper, and a 53-yard game-winning field goal from Chris Boswell as the overtime period expired to defeat the Bengals. The offense posted 267 total yards and just one touchdown.

The Steelers didn’t fare that well on Sunday, as they dropped their home opener 17-14 to the New England Patriots. The Steelers posted 243 yards of offense and didn’t get into the end zone until the first play of the fourth quarter when Mitch Trubisky connected with Pat Freiermuth for an 8-yard touchdown. Diontae Johnson’s catch on the two-point conversion made the score 17-14.

Pittsburgh got the ball back two more times and went three-and-out on both drives.

The Steelers defense had already spent five minutes of the fourth quarter on the field, so when the Patriots got the ball with just over 6 minutes remaining, it seemed a foregone conclusion that that would be the ballgame – and it was.

Some argue it’s the offensive line. Others say it’s the play calling by offensive coordinator Matt Canada. Some believe it’s Trubisky’s play. It’s likely a combination of all of the above, though the offensive line looked better against the Patriots than it did in week one or the preseason.

“We can be better at everything,” Trubisky said following the game. “I can be better at decision- making. We had some missed opportunities. I had some missed throws. We had a couple where we weren’t on the same page.

“Bottom line, we’ve got to score more points.”

While Trubisky often checked down when his first read was covered and was picked off when he threw into traffic, the play calling has also left plenty to be desired. This past year – Canada’s first season as offensive coordinator – the offense looked similarly watered down at times. The notion was that 39-year-old quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was limited by his lack of mobility and his inaccuracy on downfield passes.

Yet this year, Roethlisberger is gone. He’s been replaced by a 28-year-old who can make plays with his legs, but little seems to have change offensively from 2021. Canada still seems hesitant to call plays downfield and his play calling has been far too conservative for a team with playmakers such as Johnson, Freiermuth, Najee Harris, Chase Claypool and George Pickens on the offense.

Pickens was not targeted until there was 22 seconds to go in the first half, despite being open several times prior to his one completion. He caught a pass along the Steelers sideline for a gain of 23 yards on his first target. It was the longest pass play of the day for Pittsburgh.

“Definitely get George more involved. We’ve just got to get on the same page. I think there was one where I threw out of bounds. He was going one way and I thought he was going another way,” Trubisky said. “We’ve got to get George involved. He’s super-talented.”

Following a missed field goal by Nick Folk in the third quarter, the Steelers offense was set up with great field position at their own 42. They wound up having to settle for a 52-yard Boswell field goal after failing to convert on third-and-8 at the New England 33. Trubisky threw a short pass to running back Jaylen Warren for no gain.

A smattering of “KEN-NY, KEN-NY” chants erupted from the frustrated crowd at Acrisure Stadium, signaling their desire to see backup quarterback Kenny Pickett under center.

It seems unlikely coach Mike Tomlin is ready to put the rookie in just yet, but he acknowledged Trubisky didn’t do enough.

“Obviously, we collectively didn’t make enough plays today, he included,” Tomlin said of his quarterback.

The offense wasn’t the only problem on Sunday. The team had a defensive lapse by cornerback Akhello Witherspoon, who was bullied by Patriots wide receiver Nelson Agholor for a 44-yard touchdown with under a minute remaining in the first half.

The Steelers also had a special teams play go awry when Gunner Olszewski, a former Patriot, muffed a punt in the third quarter that was recovered by New England at the 10-yard line. The Patriots needed just three plays to get in the end zone and take an 11-point lead. It was a lead that felt – and wound up being – insurmountable.

“New England made some significant plays. In a game like that, it’s going to come down to a couple of plays, and we didn’t make enough of them,” Tomlin said.

However, a touchdown a game on offense isn’t going to get it done. The Steelers defense has given up 18.5 points per game in the two contests so far this season. That should be good enough for a 2-0 record, but the offense has struggled mightily to find any rhythm so far this season.

“When you leave your defense out to dry like that – it doesn’t help when you turn it over on special teams, and that’s on me,” Olszewski said.

The Steelers offense needs something to change – and fast. The team will travel to Cleveland for a Thursday night matchup this week before returning home to face the New York Jets, who defeated the Browns 31-30 on Sunday. Then the Steelers will face Josh Allen and the Bills and Tom Brady and Buccaneers in back-to-back weeks. An offensive touchdown per game will not cut it against any of their upcoming opponents.

“I’ve got to tell the guys to buy in, be patient, and just focus on your job. That’s what you’ve got to do as a leader, just got to keep guys on track,” Trubisky said. “If everybody just does their job, we’ll be a lot better as an offense.”

The Steelers better hope so. If not, things could get very ugly, very quickly and the 2022 season could be derailed before it even really begins.

https://www.tribdem.com/sports/aman...459554e-37bf-11ed-923d-f74f38d4929e.html

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
My hope is that Ski realized winning a division game can keep us alive even if our record is not so good. So maybe he saved a few new plays nobody has seen yet. My fear is we don't get a big enough lead heading into the 4th qtr. because we all know what happens then.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, and honestly it’s going to be difficult to muster 20 points against their defense. So a big lead is probably not in the cards. You hate to get into the habit of blowing leads late … that’s a bugaboo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
the matchup is definitely the secondary vs the steelers receivers. we have the talent to completely shut them down. but what we need to see tomorrow night is these guys being on the same page. the lack of discipline on the back ends up showing up like on sunday, the steelers will be able to run the ball because mitch will eat us alive in the middle and bust coverages, making us not be able to shut down Harris. I know our D line isn't healthy, but we can not let the steelers gain an advantage on the ground, because i think the steelers are gonna test our DB's early in the game with a lot of motions and pick routes.

i have to wonder how many plays are gonna be made simple because the DBs still have their eyes completely in the backfield.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is an excerpt from a pretty dumb article, but Stefanski's comments are important when thinking about potential key match-ups. We don't want Trubiski scrambling around and buying time or running for first downs. I'll post the link in case anyone wants to read the reporter's commentary.

“He is a really good quarterback,” Stefanski explained. “I saw him a lot when I was in Minnesota and he was in Chicago. He is very, very athletic. He can really move around. He can make plays with his feet. He can take off and run. He can throw while scrambling. I think they do a nice job of utilizing his athleticism. They have skill players really all over the field outside and inside that can hurt you.”

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we were smart, we would look at what BB did last week against the Steelers O. That seemed to work! And aren't we supposed to have a better D than the Pats?

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 09/21/22 01:56 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think the Pats D is solid. It's their offense that has looked like hot garbage.

Legend
Legend
i really hope our DT's can show some gap discipline in the pass game. bro you deal with QB's who scramble outside the pocket then hit the sidelines. fine.

but QBs scrambling up the middle for a big gain is just devastating, and mitch is a big dude. He isn't Allen, but the DBs coming up better not try some lazy arm tackle. i read this:

'I needed to mature': Browns rookie Perrion Winfrey says he's learned from discipline

https://www.yahoo.com/news/needed-mature-browns-rookie-perrion-194944722.html

I know he's a back up, but after the benching and a wake up call, I hope he plays big tomorrow night. at least help solidify the middle and eat blocks.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, we need help in the interior. I think we all saw that coming during the off-season.

One thing I've seen w/Trubisky is he seems far less effective when he rolls to his left. Not sure if you saw any of their games, but he was really inaccurate while moving to his left. I saw Pickens---their rookie WR---throw his arms up in disgust after a pass fell about 5 yards short and out of bounds last week.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

We're screwed.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
yea good point. he really struggles throwing to that wide side of the field in the pocket, so forcing him to work that side of the field will get us quick 3 and outs, but thats if garrett doesn't bite on the PA's or loses containment on that side. but with Clowney out, i dont know if we can generate the control on the LoS necessary to manipulate the pocket. I think the steelers are gonna purposely roll mitch to the right and shift the line specifically to neutralize garrett with Clowney being out. im worried that the steelers might successfully exploit the weakest side of our line. they haven't been able to run the ball at all so far this year, but nobody on the line scares them except Garrett.

still, there's gonna be plenty of chances for the DBs to get their hands on the ball, so they need to step up if mitch is comfortable in the pocket.

the steelers defense isn't good. Fitzpatrick can't be everywhere, so i hope we play more ball control than we already do on offense and just keep our D off the field.

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think those are all great points. We looked vulnerable on our defensive left [offensive right] last week, both in the run and pass.

I do wish I would have brought up Fitz in my first post. Dude is a really good player. JB needs to be careful w/that guy lurking in the secondary.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we need to see if Garrett and Bitonio play. If not, the key matchups change greatly.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Conjure the mojo of Golic, Matthews and Dixon.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, I brought Fitz up in the other thread a couple days ago.

He’s one of my concerns.

As for the Steelers: Their offense hasn't been good through two games. Their fans were chanting for Pickett last game. They do have some weapons on offense, but they've only scored 14 points on offense the past two games. Their defense has played pretty well despite Watt being out. Though they couldn't generate a pass rush. Our line is better than the Pats, so I am hoping that will even be a truer statement for our game. My two biggest concerns about their D, is Heyward has always been a problem for us. I am hoping with Watt out, we can assist in other areas with our blockers. Fitzpatrick is the other. Unless I am mis-remembering, he's always been a good/great ball hawk.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
One thing that concerns me is that the Browns have had a habit of making terrible QB's and back-ups look great. Over the past several seasons this has seemed to be a trend.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm actually looking forward to seeing the Db's continue their Chinese firedrills.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Legend
Legend
Parsons is being elevated to mvp status by all the talking heads.

He walks on water.

It was the same in college. Except it was JOK who won the Butkus Award.

Parsons is a great pass rusher. And sacks equal glory.

The difference is JOK is better at coverage and overall play.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
If we were smart, we would look at what BB did last week against the Steelers O. That seemed to work! And aren't we supposed to have a better D than the Pats?

a friend, who happens to be a Steelers fan and not enamored with Trubisky, shared the following graphic on how he spread his passes around. A full one-third of all completions were BEHIND the Line of Scrimmage.

[Linked Image]

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well we should clobber them, so he'll show up and look like Brady playing against us.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I think we need to see if Garrett and Bitonio play. If not, the key matchups change greatly.

peen, they were not listed on the injury report today. That is a good sign.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
It was reported that Garrett, Conklin and Bitonio will all be active.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
All great news. Glad Conklin will return but Hudson seems to be holding his own at RT. Although I’m not sure if he’s getting extra blocking help on that side.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I hope and pray we win this game. It's been a long 3 days after the Jets game fiasco, and I can't imagine how tough it will be with a loss tomorrow and a week and a half until our next game. If this team and coaching staff has any fire and heart, we will come out like gangbusters and play a strong game. Let's hope!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I worry about Trubiski.

The guy is a hometown guy and he is playing for his NFL life with Pickett nipping at his heels.

When guys have the motivation and need to do it, sometimes they do. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I also don't have high hopes for this game BUT...this should be our time. They are in a transition period so it's our turn to sweep them a few years in a row, we had no business losing both games last year but we did.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Home Pittsburg game. The Browns home pittsburg game.
You get one every year, and only one every year.
This is going to be the 24th home Pittsburgh game for the Browns since the return in I999.

The 24th home Pittsburgh game since the return in I999.

I think, if you looked back at the other previous home Pittsburgh games as a Browns franchise, since the return in I999, you might find that WAY too often, the Browns come into the game in a state of disrepair, ?, or disorder at the time the game kicks off.

Some years it happens after the Browns season is already beyond playoff contention.

This year it happens tomorrow night, on Thursday night football, ... in whatever circumstances currently exist.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I worry about Trubiski.

The guy is a hometown guy and he is playing for his NFL life with Pickett nipping at his heels.

When guys have the motivation and need to do it, sometimes they do. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great game.

I think there are some who secretly root for the steelers over the long history and there is nothing wrong with that, except the secret part.
Personally I have usually hated the steelers beyond which I'm allowed to print.

But seeing as currently, I don't feel like I care whether the Browns win 49 in a row or lose 49 in a row as long as they are going to trade away Baker and 3 first round picks for Jacoby (stopwatch) Brissett, I mean it's a... it's a Benny Hill movie it might as well be.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 29 Steelers 17 Steelers vs Browns Matchup

Link Copied to Clipboard