Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
jfanent #1973153 09/23/22 08:02 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jfanent
I hate the dirty, filthy steelers. You can't convince me they're not coached to play dirty. I hope AW is ok and I hope 76 gets suspended.

I was thinking the same thing, jfan. What 76 did was inexcusable. But how often, after a tackle, would the Steeler hold on to the ball carrier's foot? Why? Were they twisting it? And multiple times I would see a shove after the whistle. I have been convinced for years that Tomlin coaches this crap.

Other than that, what a win.

- Brissett continues to impress.
- Chubb and Hunt continue being Chubb and Hunt.
- Cooper seems to be always open. Two drops, both at key times (4th down, 3rd and long). The second throw had some cheese on it, though. But overall a good game.
- Njoku with a redemption game. Last week with a drop and a penalty. This week, only one incomplete on something like 9 targets. The one was tough, the DB made a nice play to undercut him. But he had some tough catches in traffic, got some first downs. Nice game, Chief.
- Not worried about the kicker. Yet.
- I was nervous with the late lead, but the D clamped down on Pitts in the 4th for the most part.
- Did not seem to get a lot of pressure on Trib.
- I think Ward was still thinking about the Jets game.

What a win.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Swish #1973154 09/23/22 08:09 AM
Legend
Legend
I had a feeling York would slightly struggle with our home games. The stadium is an X factor for kickers and I’m sure it takes a while to get a feel for it.

Still hate seeing points wasted

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1973162 09/23/22 09:11 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Just another note, I would love if Amazon somehow ended up with a package similar to Sunday ticket, or even acquiring the rights to it.. The picture quality and camera work, the Pre/post game was top notch

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Dawgs4Life #1973164 09/23/22 09:12 AM
Legend
Legend
This was a big win for the Browns.

Specifically for Kevin Stefanski. One poster wrote before the game "simply put Kevin doesn't care."

And "Personally I don't believe Stefanski is tough enough to run the team."

These posts could not be farther from the truth. A football coach who after paying their dues to get to the top of their profession and becomes a head in the National Football League. His first time as head coach is with the Cleveland Browns.

And he doesn't care? Think about that. Think about what any head coach goes through and he doesn't care?

And he is not tough enough? Please use your brain.
======================================================================================

Stefanski put together a great game plan. He called a damn near perfect game. He trusted his quarterback on 3rd and one to run and pass.

Game Ball Kevin Stefanski.

2 members like this: 3rd_and_20, FORTBROWNFAN
Swish #1973165 09/23/22 09:15 AM
Legend
Legend
Yep, Stefanski has been very good … we had the steelers on roller skates for 75% of the game last night. And the run game is the engine

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I love when we beat Pittsburgh! 2 & 1!

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Did anyone think Ward played poorly?

Juke had a good game

ward played well. i dont want to say good because he caught staring in the backfield again and let the receiver get a chunk of yards. but he played really good coverage most of the night.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
leadtheway #1973171 09/23/22 09:22 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Just another note, I would love if Amazon somehow ended up with a package similar to Sunday ticket, or even acquiring the rights to it.. The picture quality and camera work, the Pre/post game was top notch

i agree. im glad i can stream live games on Hulu, but the NFL games on Prime so far is much better.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1973174 09/23/22 09:31 AM
Legend
Legend
I'm warming up to JB. Same with Cooper and how about the Chief....

Still have trouble on D.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #1973175 09/23/22 09:35 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
im so glad Chief is getting targets and show up. i know the jets game was a bit rough, but JB is really looking for chief and he's showing up for the team. dude is a monster TE, you can just see his size on the field. i really hope this continues all season.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1973176 09/23/22 09:42 AM
Legend
Legend
Cooper might be the best WR we’ve had in a long time. He was heating up the past two games and his route running is so good

Swish #1973177 09/23/22 09:42 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would just like to add a kudos to the grounds crew that was getting in Fitzpatrick and Sherman’s heads.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Damanshot #1973179 09/23/22 09:44 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Still have trouble on D.
They made adjustments in the second half which was nice to see. Would like to see the DBs be able to be more physical at the line of scrimmage to create some timing issues in the opponent's passing game. But to be honest, we won't know about the D until after we play Atlanta. Those next 8 games are brutal. This team WILL be tested. The special teams is a concern (partially blocked punt, missed XP, another badly played onside kick). York needs to learn about the wind at FES. Maybe give Phil Dawson a call. A good win against the Steelers. On to Atlanta. Pretty sure that last TD upset a few people. Wow. Have a great weekend everyone.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Swish #1973181 09/23/22 09:54 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
This was a huge win for the Browns. The vultures were circling. Going in, I thought the Browns were the better team, but we were playing the Steelers and we all know how that has gone over the years, including last year when we laid an egg at home and lost 15 to 10.

Some observations:

--We are a better team w/JB than we would be w/Baker. He takes care of the ball better and doesn't take needless sacks. He is also much more calm and a steadying influence on his teammates. He's one of the guys and not the show. I am surprised by how well he is throwing the ball. I really think Stefanski is really good for QBs.

--Speaking of Stefanski, he once again called an excellent game. Great mixture of run and pass. He has a great scheme and is a very good playcaller.

--I think our Special Teams coach might be a weakness.

--Joe Woods did a good job of playing more man, but I still question the defense. He needs to improve or he could be gone at the end of the year

--Delpit is absolutely terrible in pass coverage. Slow to react and terrible angles to the ball. He is good against the run, but he is a huge liability.

--Taki is really growing as a player.

--JOK is good, but he misses tackles due to a lack of strength.

--Phillips played his best game. He gets out of position, but he is athletic.

--Emerson is playing better than I would have thought. I did not like that draft choice. He's proving me wrong.

--Ward played better, but he needs to be even better.

--The lack of a pass rush was very disturbing. It must improve.

--Btw-------the catch Pickens made for the Steelers was one of the best I've seen.

--Chubb was outstanding once again. He's getting a lot of love on Get Up right now. They are saying that no one gets less attention for being so great. Ryan Clark was talking about what a great teammate he is. A jump on the grenade type of guy.

--Hunt ran impossibly hard again.

--Cooper for a 5th rounder?!?! LMAO.......what a steal. Dude dropped a couple and should have sat down earlier on that 4th down play, but he gets open. Very smooth. Great route runner. He and JB are developing great chemistry.

--Njoku had an excellent game. In addition to all the receptions, he was blocking his behind off. We need him to play well this year.

--The OL played well. Pocic had some bad moments, but he made some good blocks, too. Bitonio has an excellent game.

--I was much more comfortable w/Rodgers fielding punts than I was w/Felton. The latter can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

--We all love York, but man........we can't afford to miss extra points.

--There were a few boos early in the game after a possession, but the Browns shut the idiots the hell up. That's what they have to continue to do. I like this team. It's a blue-collar , hard-nosed team that is very physical on the offensive side of the ball. I like that kind of team rather than the "look at me" type.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 09/23/22 09:56 AM. Reason: Added a bit about Cade York
4 members like this: EveDawg, Swish, Hammer
FATE #1973182 09/23/22 09:56 AM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by FATE
Also.

I see people all over the internet saying we should have been able to kick the extra point after the last TD.

The PAT is NEVER attempted if the clock strikes zero in the 4th... unless it is to tie or win the game.

It's been that way since the 1970s at least.

Dawgs4Life #1973183 09/23/22 09:56 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Cooper might be the best WR we’ve had in a long time. He was heating up the past two games and his route running is so good

I agree. I made a comment to my buddy last night that I don't think we've had a receiver like Cooper STR. That doesn't mean I think he's a stud #1 (because I don't think he is) but he's different (for us anyway) in the way he gets himself open (runs his routes), gets in position to catch the ball, actually catches the ball, is very good after the catch and all that along with + athleticism. We've had guys who have/had a couple of those qualities...but not ALL of those qualities...at least not here. Many other teams have a guy(s) like him...but we haven't in forever.

Swish #1973184 09/23/22 10:01 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I didn't get to see the game, I'm on a cruise ship. Show snippets and a few minutes of the third quarter when another Browns fan had it streaming on his phone in the lounge.

Not aurora to see Brisset getting in sync better with the receivers. My concern with him is when we have to pay from behind, or a team sits down or run game and we have to rely on JB.

All in all, sounded like it was a good game, and they got the W. 2-1 is not a bad start.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FORTBROWNFAN #1973185 09/23/22 10:08 AM
Legend
Legend
I thought that this was still the case. Forced sportsmanship. But it raised a question: The "unpoint" if it is not needed, does that figure into tiebreakers for total points after records? Not sure, but I am certain I do not know of any cases.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #1973187 09/23/22 10:14 AM
Legend
Legend
A couple things about this win stood out to me.

The Steelers knew the Browns would run the ball. They prepared run blitz packages.

Stefanski countered. He threw the ball to Cooper. He keep throwing to Cooper until the Steelers adjusted to the boundary. Then Stefanski went to the center seam with Njoku. When the Steelers tried to adjust and backed out of the box.

Stefanski gave the Steelers a full dose of Chubb and Hunt.

The Browns controlled the LOS and time of possession.

They gave up 3 points in the 4th qt. Bravo Woods.

The defense overall played well. The Steelers only had a few chunk plays. The coverage was good for the most part.

The team was prepared. They were crisp. You could see them communicating. It was clean from most penalty's. The blocking was terrific.

I am running out of excuses for Mike Priefer. There is no excuse for 12 men on the field for a punt or field goal. None. An assistant coach in that situation is supposed to be tasked with counting heads. It happened twice. Once was 4th and six. A five yard penalty. One less yard and it would given them a first down. We have had a fake punt work. One onside kick worked and one that almost worked. And two 12 on the field. York 2 missed xtra points. That is on York not Priefer. But Special Teams has not been special.

Jacoby has been a pleasant surprise. Many doubted him. The team did not. Jacoby is a leader. The players love the guy. He has executed the offense. Watching him shout out to Berry. He fits this offense. He has earned the respect of the players and coaches. Great signing by Berry.

2 members like this: Hammer, Versatile Dog
bonefish #1973191 09/23/22 10:25 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Priefer and Woods have both been bad. Last night's game does nothing to quiet the Woods doubt. The coaching staff in general needs to show consistency.

The Browns should not lose to the Falcons. If they do, we are right back to where we were before the Steelers game. Doubting coaches and players.

Swish #1973192 09/23/22 10:26 AM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Anyone else like the 3rd and 2 (pretty sure it wasn't 4th down) call late when I would have just about bet my house they would run the ball, or at most a short safe pass and he calls a somewhat deeper route to Cooper. I am pretty sure Pitt wasn't looking for that.

Also, I just looked up stats for the first 3 games because we seem to have lousy luck recovery loose balls. They never seem to bounce our way. While looking, I found we only have 1 turnover this season, JB's interception. We are taking care of the ball well.

Last edited by FORTBROWNFAN; 09/23/22 10:32 AM.
Swish #1973193 09/23/22 10:32 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
A lot of positives about the game last night that have been covered. It's a great win and a great feeling today.

On the negative side, Ward was really bad. What is going on with him?

Swish #1973197 09/23/22 10:46 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's good to see a QB put the team above himself.
Jacoby is just a better QB and team mate than Baker ever was.

Bill Callahan shows why he is best in the business

Njoku needs 12 targets a game.

Will DPJ make a meaningful catch this year.?

The Steelers DC is clueless. You don't even double Cooper
Or Njoku after they roasted your defense in the 1st half.

The Steelers will miss the playoffs this year. Porous Coordinators
Will be the cause of it

Swish #1973198 09/23/22 10:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Phillips had his best game last night. It would be awfully nice if he and JOK would pair up together. Both are super athletic

Swish #1973200 09/23/22 10:53 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Big win after that give away loss last week. We have the best RB combo in the league!
Brissett is doing a nice job.
Really should be 3-0 but glad to be 2-1!
Now beat the Falcons! GO BROWNS!

Rishuz #1973203 09/23/22 10:58 AM
Legend
Legend
"Last night's game does nothing to quiet the Woods doubt."

Actually I think it does. This team last year with close to the same players played pretty good defense.

The blown coverages in the first two games were bad. And, I was all over him for it.

However, clearly they came ready to play last night. The were prepared. You could see them communicating. A couple of great catches by the Steelers. Tip your hat. They made the play. Nobody ran free. Starters went down on defense. Replacements played well.

When mistakes are corrected coaches deserve credit. When player communication is broken they deserve criticism.

bonefish #1973204 09/23/22 11:03 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I just want consistency. If we lose, but we play sound football, I can live with that.

bonefish #1973205 09/23/22 11:07 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
We have played three games against teams that probably not very good. However, we have dominated all three for the great majority of each game. We have had a few terrible breakdowns in late in two of those games, but again, we have outplayed and pretty much dominated all three opponents for the best part of each game. Considering all the doom and gloom we have had to listen to, I would say that thus far the season has been a success. It might get worse, but I am very happy w/the team overall right now.

Swish #1973206 09/23/22 11:12 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Sione Takitaki has been playing really well this season. He more than doubled his snap counts played in this game compared to previous games. Just 10 vs Carolina and 14 vs the Jets.

Last edited by Milk Man; 09/23/22 11:16 AM. Reason: Add Takitaki note
Milk Man #1973208 09/23/22 11:23 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Sione Takitaki has been playing really well this season. He more than doubled his snap counts played in this game compared to previous games. Just 10 vs Carolina and 14 vs the Jets.

I think that had to do with Walker going down.

Tackles are tackles.
Swish #1973209 09/23/22 11:25 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Well it wouldn't be a typical Browns Steelers game without the dirty plays from the Steelers and the no calls from the refs. This time we beat them both.

I have been impressed by the play of JB and the rest of our offense, because I think that they have surpassed most expectations of them without DW.

The defense and the special teams have been anything but special ... I don't see that changing anytime soon.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Probably true. JOK had the injury, too.

Poor Takitaki.

Swish #1973217 09/23/22 11:56 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
People can say what they want but the Browns deserved the boos last week. They also deserved the cheers this week. I can't say much that hasn't already been said. The combo of Chubb and Hunt are second to none in the NFL. Brissett is looking very good and playing within himself. He seems very cool, calm and collected. It was nice to see Njoku get some targets and make them pay off. Cooper looked pretty good again. He did have a couple of drops but that's not a common theme for him.

Are there any other WR's on the team besides Cooper?

The defense didn't have any huge mental lapses though I have to admit I was concerned in that fourth quarter when the O seemed to stagnate somewhat and kept giving the Steelers the ball back. But the defense held. We've seen three games so far. The Browns have some time to heal up before playing the Falcons. So far I call what we've seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Just not in that order. What we'll see against Atlanta is anyone's guess at this point. Then things will get a little harder.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
leadtheway #1973218 09/23/22 12:01 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by leadtheway

Agreed. Watching the game on a Sony 4K OLED TV was spectacular. Rumor has it that Apple is the front runner for the Sunday Ticket rights.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Swish #1973219 09/23/22 12:04 PM
Legend
Legend
I'm still livid about this. I hope the league does something.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Swish #1973221 09/23/22 12:06 PM
Legend
Legend
Such crap (we’re used to it from them)

Dawgs4Life #1973222 09/23/22 12:12 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Conklin had his facemask grabbed, his head pulled down, after being released the Stiller then shoved the palm of his hand into Conklin’s face mask… there was even a replay on the broadcast.
No flag.
The Stillers are dirty. Always have been. Always will be.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I completely agree.

People were throwing Jacoby under the bus before he played a down in the regular season. Njoku was criticised when one ball was thrown his way.

People were predicting we would win 4 games. Factory of sadness BS.

I don't look back. You can only control your next play. History in football is only history.

The Stefanski criticism is beyond me. Some of the comments are so far off base. Look you want to be critical of a scheme fine. Fair game. But to make comments like "Simply put Kevin doesn' t care." Really? How can anyone draw a conclusion like that?

This is a new offense for a backup quarterback. It takes some time to develop chemistry in the pass game. We know we can run the ball with our OL and Nick and Kareem. It takes time to get that feel with the passing game. Cooper is a go to guy. He is so polished in his route trees. Jacoby can trust him to be there on time. Njoku blocks his butt of on runs plays. When the situation dictates. He will make plays in the pass game. DPJ will get his as teams look to handle Cooper.

The defense is still a work in progress. I was impressed by the way Taki and Phillips stepped in and played. Even Fields made a play. Backups become starters over a long season. The defense still must get pressure and cover no matter who plays if we are to beat high octane offenses.

Each week is a test. The Falcons have some weapons. We will need the defense to play well.

I am optimistic about the offense. Mainly because Jacoby has showed he can operate the scheme and the importance of Cooper. Those two make a huge difference.

One at a time. Let's go Browns.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
bonefish #1973224 09/23/22 12:13 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Swish #1973226 09/23/22 12:17 PM
Legend
Legend
Oh yeah that face mask on Conklin was egregious

1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 29 Steelers 17 Post Game

Link Copied to Clipboard