Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1962140 08/12/22 11:16 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well I watched the first episode of Alone Frozen.

Interesting.

I keep thinking that I would have loved to do Alone when I was in my forties. The challenge would have been colossal.

I have no doubt about that. But I would have loved that. The whole process of learning and preparation would have been right up my ally.

So, Mark gave it up after three days. He should have never left home. A mistake on his part to go and then realize why?

Juan proved that your mental approach is single most important factor.

bonefish #1962161 08/12/22 01:25 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes. Mark wasted a space on the show that could have been used by a serious contestant. The frozen aspect will put a totally new spin on the show.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1962316 08/12/22 07:19 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We know these people. Callie was so tough in her previous challenge. Frostbite. Nasty.

50 days changes your mind set. Alone is to the last drop. All or nothing.

50 days and split the money. It is easier to grasp mentally. You have that defined end.

All the spin offs can not be as good as Alone. It is unique. Because of all the factors at play. And "Alone."

This last season was really good. Check the link on Juan on the other thread.

bonefish #1962551 08/13/22 11:10 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you that having 50 days as the goal presents a different mind set. The thing is they place them at the very worst time of the year. So it's not like you have that good weather buffer going in to build a shelter and make preparations in advance of the bad weather. I think seeing this different scenario will also factor into how they handle it from a mental aspect. I suspect we'll see a couple more of them going within the first 20 days or so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1964023 08/20/22 01:09 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This situation requires a different strategy.

Greg has no chance. Some of the others as well.

Priority changes. Industrial rain gear. Be prepared to work in foul weather. Shelter must be small, warm, and dry.

You have to know beforehand what you are going to build. Built for a high wind and driving rain. No widowmaker trees nears. Over hydrate.

Go hungry and drink water till your shelter is ready. Wait for snow to set snares so you can track game.

I guess not many are into this kind of thing. But there is something about being in pure wilderness. For me it is an awakening. It makes me feel acutely alive. You are stripped to your core animal self. You are no different than anything else in the wilderness.

Life today is highly specialized. Plumbers, electricians, dentists, lawyers etc. Not all that long ago humans were generalists. Your Phd. was in survival. You worked on that degree till you died. You had to know how to do many different things. Your knowledge base was deep.

I have done many different things in life. I worked on ranches. Construction jobs, factory work. I had so many different jobs it would take me awhile to remember them and make a list. Later I was in telecommunication sales where I really made a living for a family. But before that damn.

Travel and life experience taught me most of what I have learned. When I watch "Alone," "Life Below Zero," "The Last Alaskans," "Yukon men." I think how close I came to living that style of life. You come to a fork and decide which way and everything is different.

bonefish #1964122 08/21/22 10:02 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Greg is screwed.

[Linked Image]
PortlandDawg #1964124 08/21/22 10:10 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Totally.

Also the woman with long grey hair. Day one and she is talking about her loved one.

Juan Pablo showed how much your mental side will dictate the outcome.

bonefish #1965140 08/26/22 10:31 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Down to four quickly.

Handling a axe is no joke. In New Mexico when I was in my twenties. I lived by wood heat for six years. It was a daily chore. Prior to that I had no experience splitting wood with an axe. You learn when you do it daily that it can be dangerous.

As soon as I saw how Amos was trying to split wood. I knew instantly; he could put that axe into his leg. Short handle axe trying to split wood that is elevated. So easy for that axe to slip off the wood. He was very lucky.

Wonija bad shelter. Michelle's is better. It is hard to see all that is around from watching them on tv. Sometimes moss can be rolled up like sod. I can't tell from a tv. Birch bark is a great resource if near.

Shelter so important. Low tide gather. All the other time build that shelter to be as warm and dry as possible. Scarf firewood from all the driftwood I saw. Good dry wood to store.

Until snow I would be all about the shelter and storing firewood including a way to have multiple days worth kept dry.

This will be brutal. I have doubts about them making it to the end. Callie is tough and knowledgeable she may may make it. Michelle is doing ok but I am unsure about her. Amos is damn good but he is having self doubts. Wonija might be the next tap. She is already cracking mentally.

bonefish #1974858 10/01/22 04:42 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not a lot of interest I reckon.

But I would like to say congratulations to Woniya for finishing.

It was a really hard challenge. It took fortitude and spirit to complete 50 days.

The women came up big. All of them. That was a very difficult place to last 50 days at that time of year.

I can't wait for the original Alone series to return.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Frozen

Link Copied to Clipboard