Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
DJ Moore of the Carolina Panthers.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
LMAO.

Man Baker has been flat awful, even worse than when he was injured .... the Browns would have such a better record if he wasn't our starter.

You guys need to let it go - that hate you are clinging to is not good for your soul.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Dolphins game last night was difficult to watch. Aside from the injury, they definitely did not look like a 3-0 team. Their pass rush was bad. They left their DBs to hang out to dry on top of that. Their DBs' ball awareness also did not seem to be too great. It did not seem like their offense had much of a sense of urgency either.

The Bengals, on the other hand, look to be returning to last year's form. Crazy what Burrow can do when he's got time.

Hope Tua's okay.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Back to Tua.

This thing is blowing up. I've been watching an NFL show about this and all kinds of people are weighing in. According to the NFL's policy on concussions, there is no way Tua should have played last night. He clearly checked all of the boxes for having a concussion on Sunday.

I don't know all the terminology and I apologize for that, but here are some points to consider.

--The NFL and NFLPA jointly appoint an independent medical person to help evaluate those suspected of having an concussion and he works w/the team's head medical doctor to determine whether or not the player can return to a game.

--Miami originally said Tua had a head injury on Sunday. They later changed it to a back injury.

--According to league policy, the fact that Tua [on Sunday] grabbed his head, had wobbly legs, collapsed to the ground, etc.......[I believe this is called Gross Motor Instability] he should have never been permitted to re-enter the game. Additionally, he should have been placed in Concussion protocol.

--They had a medical expert on and she was talking about how you can diagnose an ACL tear, torn tendons, broken bones, sprains, etc......but, there is no clear-cut method to determine if a person has a concussion. Thus, they rely on signs and verbal tests and apparently tests that are on the computer. Ultimately, the team's lead medical doctor determines if the player is good to go for the next game. Again, remember it was determined by the independent league's doctor and team's doctor on Sunday that it was a back injury.

--Given Miami's recent history of tampering w/other team's players and the accusation of trying to pay their HC to lose games.......is anyone really buying that the team acted appropriately?

--Something big is going to go down! I wonder who will be the fall guy? Also, I think there will be changes to the rules and/or how they are followed.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
For those of you who have not seen the Tua clip from Sunday, check this out and tell me that isn't a concussion. It also screams of the term Gross Motor Instability. He should have never been permitted to return to that game and allowed to play last night.

1 member likes this: eotab
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is Adam Schefter explaining Gross Motor Instability. It starts around 2:20.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Dolphins game last night was difficult to watch. Aside from the injury, they definitely did not look like a 3-0 team. Their pass rush was bad. They left their DBs to hang out to dry on top of that. Their DBs' ball awareness also did not seem to be too great. It did not seem like their offense had much of a sense of urgency either.

The Bengals, on the other hand, look to be returning to last year's form. Crazy what Burrow can do when he's got time.

Hope Tua's okay.
Tee Higgins might be the best WR in the NFL nobody talks about
He roasted Xaian Howard who is All Pro CB.
Cincy held Waddle and Hill out of the end zone not easy to do

bonefish #1974651 09/30/22 10:53 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
That injury to Tua was hard to watch.

I have a few thoughts on this topic. One is helmets and the other is surface.

Helmets can be improved. You see them at practice. It is up to the NFL to come up with a design that is safer and aesthetically pleasing.

Surface: This is where injury happens. More concussions occur when heads hit turf than collisions. It is also the cause of leg joint damage.

Money is in turf. Sure they can use the fields for other events.

This is the NFL's problem - greed. They talk a good game and actually do very little.

Stadiums should be grass. Or, make a better surface that has give.

Tua was concussed last week. Their staff had to go through the protocol. If not the team should be sued. However, that is not going to fix the problem.

It is all about the surface and helmets.

bone...as some might know, I've commented on just how poor football helmets presently are when it comes to protecting a players head and brain.

Many have poo pooed my thoughts and viewpoints on the subject, when I supported the use of the PRO CAP...that had been successfully used in THE NFL and received positive endorsements from those NFL players who were interested in protecting their head and brain.
....ROGER GOODELL AND THE NFL IGNORED the value of the ProCap and eventually outlawed the use of it, even though there was no evidence that using the ProCap was detrimental to the health of any players who used them.

The use of extra padding on NFL helmets goes back to Willie Lanier's (1967) use of extra padding on his helmet to protect him from concussions and he wore that helmet for his entire career.

This year we see the NFL mandating the use of the Guardian..a ProCap like device that is down right ugly. It goes over the existing helmets just like the ProCap did...but the NFL won't mandate the extra padding for use during games.

Roger Goodell and the NFL owners created this entire cluster of crap and should be held responsible.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
BADdog #1974652 09/30/22 10:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by BADdog
The Cincinnati zebras

I liked the way their helmets looked but their uniforms were just blah. Did not like.

Not a bad game at all to watch. Hopefully Tua will be okay. That was hard to watch, after he got hit.

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
mac #1974657 09/30/22 11:19 AM
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by bonefish
That injury to Tua was hard to watch.

I have a few thoughts on this topic. One is helmets and the other is surface.

Helmets can be improved. You see them at practice. It is up to the NFL to come up with a design that is safer and aesthetically pleasing.

Surface: This is where injury happens. More concussions occur when heads hit turf than collisions. It is also the cause of leg joint damage.

Money is in turf. Sure they can use the fields for other events.

This is the NFL's problem - greed. They talk a good game and actually do very little.

Stadiums should be grass. Or, make a better surface that has give.

Tua was concussed last week. Their staff had to go through the protocol. If not the team should be sued. However, that is not going to fix the problem.

It is all about the surface and helmets.

bone...as some might know, I've commented on just how poor football helmets presently are when it comes to protecting a players head and brain.

Many have poo pooed my thoughts and viewpoints on the subject, when I supported the use of the PRO CAP...that had been successfully used in THE NFL and received positive endorsements from those NFL players who were interested in protecting their head and brain.
....ROGER GOODELL AND THE NFL IGNORED the value of the ProCap and eventually outlawed the use of it, even though there was no evidence that using the ProCap was detrimental to the health of any players who used them.

The use of extra padding on NFL helmets goes back to Willie Lanier's (1967) use of extra padding on his helmet to protect him from concussions and he wore that helmet for his entire career.

This year we see the NFL mandating the use of the Guardian..a ProCap like device that is down right ugly. It goes over the existing helmets just like the ProCap did...but the NFL won't mandate the extra padding for use during games.

Roger Goodell and the NFL owners created this entire cluster of crap and should be held responsible.
I don’t disagree. The impact and bounce back trauma of the brain moving is extremely dangerous.

I recall reading something about boxing that is related. Back in the old days of bare knuckle boxing the boxers concentrated on body shots. Certainly traumatic but they weren’t damaging their brains. The development of boxing gloves resulted in head shots leading to the danger of a damaged brain. One wonders what we will see with MMA guys as they hit their 40’s, 50’s and 60’s.

Of course, I have heard commercials on the radio whining about the alleged pussification of football. Players today are faster, stronger and weigh more than players of the past. F=MA doesn’t give a damn about you nor do the momentum equations of physics.

1 member likes this: FATE
mac #1974659 09/30/22 11:30 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Better helmets can help, but they are not the cure-all. It was reported today that the Guardian helmets that we saw at the Training Camps this summer that if one player has the Guardian on, it would reduce concussions by 10% and if both players were wearing the Guardians, concussions would be reduced by 20%. So, that helps......but, there is way more to it.

A lot of concussions can also "occur from a fall or a blow to the body that causes the head to move rapidly back and forth." What happens is the head stops, but your brain keeps moving in your head and that causes the trauma. I have experienced both types of concussions. I had seven altogether and they ended my playing days. That was way back in the 1970s when there was no such thing as a concussion protocol and coaches would shame players into playing. As players, many of us would play through these injuries because we wanted to stay on the field and/or not lose our job. I'm sure that mentality still exists for many players.

Look, concussions are going to occur in football. Focus must be on following the protocols and perhaps tweaking those policies to prevent these players from returning to the field before they should.

Please don't take this as me arguing w/you. Take it for what it is..........knowledge.

bonefish #1974661 09/30/22 11:33 AM
Legend
Legend
Obviously, the NFL is fully aware of all the issues surrounding concussions.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-ex-pla...ent-in-concussions-suit-0ap1000000235494

$765 m is not a small amount. However, compared to the worth of owners and league profits. Small dent.

How does that help a guy 10/15 years after football? When he is facing the health issues surrounding his football career?

There is most likely not a player in the NFL who has not had a concussion except kickers.

The thing is concussions happen all the time that never get reported. The player "shakes it off." "Clear the cobwebs."

It is cumlative damage hundreds of small concussions over time.
===============================================================================

This is the NFL and it up to them to fix it. Players will play because they are hungry for the money and glory. It is up to the owners who are the league.

Maybe Tua's injury will make few waves? Then it will fade. Greed will win over safety.

Legend
Legend
I agree. higgins is a really good wr

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
There is zero chance that he should have been allowed to continue to play after that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
R
Legend
Legend
R
I watched Baker's presser from yesterday after watching the Moore clip. A lot of the same rhetoric he used to say here...everyone do their jobs...it's the little things...etc. But mostly he looked like he wasn't enjoying football anymore. I mentioned this months ago long before he was traded and it was another thing I took a lot of personal jabs on, but I think the NFL is harder than he thought it was going to be, he isn't having any fun, and I can see him walking away. He's mentioned several times the difference between college and the pros and I don't think it's turned out the way he thought. Plus, I think he underestimated the amount of work it would require to be good and just doesn't know how to fix that.

He's been really bad so far. I feel bad for him a little. He still brought some good times to the fans in Cleveland. From a football standpoint I am glad we moved on, even if Brissett regresses. Just doesn't seem Baker is long for the league.

Rishuz #1974679 09/30/22 01:04 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Baker will join College Gameday or something along those lines before he accepts role as a career back-up a la the Colt McCoy route.

Rishuz #1974695 09/30/22 02:02 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sounds a lot like Johnny Manziel. We sure know how to draft QB's don't we?

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I notice how it seems everyone is jumping to the conclusion that the responsibility and decision about Tua having a concussion last week lies with Miami's medical staff. That somehow it was the team that cleared Tua to go back into the game. However, when looking at how NFL protocol works the team doctors do not have the final say and there are actually three Neurotrauma Consultants that monitor the entire process.....

» Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant: Three credentialed neurotrauma consultants, who are unaffiliated with either team, staff the sidelines, monitor the broadcast of the game, and work with the team medical staffs to identify, screen for and diagnose concussions.

» Visiting Team Medical Liaisons: When traveling across state lines, every visiting team is required to retain a local board-certified and locally licensed emergency physician, who is typically affiliated with the trauma center nearest the NFL stadium.

» Booth ATC Spotters and the Medical Timeout: For all NFL games, two certified athletic trainers — retained by the league and unaffiliated with any NFL teams — observe the game from a booth above the field and monitor the broadcast to identify potential injuries, especially concussions and other head and neck injuries. The booth ATC spotter has the authority to call a medical timeout to permit the medical evaluation of a player who may have suffered a concussion or head injury.

https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/resources/fact-sheets/nfl-health-and-safety-fact-sheet

It seems to me if anyone dropped the ball here it was the professionals hired to monitor such situations by the NFL.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Rishuz #1974714 09/30/22 03:03 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Obsession is an interesting thing to watch play out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Even when Baker was here he alluded to Oklahoma and college A LOT. I think he loved playing in college and his love for the NFL has waned.

He’s really not a good QB right now for whatever reason

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Rishuz #1974733 09/30/22 04:48 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I watched Baker's presser from yesterday after watching the Moore clip. A lot of the same rhetoric he used to say here...everyone do their jobs...it's the little things...etc. But mostly he looked like he wasn't enjoying football anymore. I mentioned this months ago long before he was traded and it was another thing I took a lot of personal jabs on, but I think the NFL is harder than he thought it was going to be, he isn't having any fun, and I can see him walking away. He's mentioned several times the difference between college and the pros and I don't think it's turned out the way he thought. Plus, I think he underestimated the amount of work it would require to be good and just doesn't know how to fix that.

He's been really bad so far. I feel bad for him a little. He still brought some good times to the fans in Cleveland. From a football standpoint I am glad we moved on, even if Brissett regresses. Just doesn't seem Baker is long for the league.
The worst thing that happened to Faker Gayfield was him breaking
Peyton Manning's TD record for rookie QBs.
It gave him a already bigger ego and Baker thought he had arrived
As a QB. He felt he didn't need a QB coach or a anykind
Of help in the offseason
Then what happened. Year 2 he went backwards
He was even as quoted as saying he thought the game would
Come easy.
In short..Baker has never had a strong work ethic in the NFL.
And it showed on filmed. The film doesn't lie.
Yet his fanclub doesn't hold him accountable for his regression
In play. Stefanski did a great job of hiding Mayfields shortcomings
But a HC can only hide so much

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Originally Posted by Rishuz

The worst thing that happened to Faker Gayfield was him breaking
Peyton Manning's TD record for rookie QBs.
It gave him a already bigger ego and Baker thought he had arrived
As a QB. He felt he didn't need a QB coach or a anykind
Of help in the offseason
Then what happened. Year 2 he went backwards
He was even as quoted as saying he thought the game would
Come easy.
In short..Baker has never had a strong work ethic in the NFL.
And it showed on filmed. The film doesn't lie.
Yet his fanclub doesn't hold him accountable for his regression
In play. Stefanski did a great job of hiding Mayfields shortcomings
But a HC can only hide so much

Faker Gayfield?

You're obsessed... or struggling through puberty. Seek help.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1974735 09/30/22 05:16 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Lighten up Francis. I'm don't have maturity issues.
This is a nameless. Faceless message board
We talk football politics etc.
Some people are so thin skinned
Regarding Mayfield . It's funny how people get so bent out of
Shape over a football player who could care less
About anyone on this board

M
Legend
Legend
M
Oh I agree. Gay slurs are cool as long as it's a nameless, faceless message board ! thumbsup

i don't know why - none of the 'purples' look right to me.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Gay slurs are not cool. Don't lower yourself to their level.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Gay slurs are not cool. Don't lower yourself to their level.

Lower himself to whose level?? Others are using gay slurs??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
I’m glad it seems like he’s doing fine today, but we also know these things can linger and/or appear later too.

Hopefully it’s a wake up call for the NFL

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
DJ Moore of the Carolina Panthers.

Who didn't see this coming? It's always the fault of someone else.

With that said, I'd love to have DJ Moore on our team if they want to trade him. He's had 3 straight 1,000 + yards in a row.

Well, we can't all have a top 5 rapey QB.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Really bad concussions for Tua in back-to-back weeks. Oh wait, the said him stumbling/staggering around the field was a "back" issue last week.

Tua probably should not have even playing tonight. Hope he is ok.

Agreed. After what I saw last week, there was no way I thought he should have played this week. I've never seen a "back injury" look like that. It will be interesting to see what happens w/the NFLPA's investigation.

Also, there are people who blame coaches for playing a guy w/injuries, but the NFL supposedly took them out of the decision making process and put it in the hands of the medical staff. What good is the policy if your medical staff isn't going to be honest? Miami's current ownership/organization has a history of being shady and corrupt.

As I understand things, it isn't just the team medical staff. I think the NFL or NFLPA has doctors who also review the findings of the team staff. Maybe what happened this week has nothing to do with what happened last week?

I don't think team Dr's are employees of the team. They are contracted by the team. There is a difference. The Browns use University Hospitals as their team's health care provider. I don't think the team influences the Dr's assigned to the team.

I do understand that you have some specific knowledge on this matter.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 10/01/22 06:05 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Ballpeen #1974782 10/01/22 07:47 AM
Legend
Legend
Independent neurologist cleared Tua to play.

It is not on the head coach or the team.

This is a case. Whatever the investigation finds it does not address the problem only the symptom.

Safer helmets and grass, or a surface that gives is the only long term thing that can lower the risks.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
man i hope Tua will be ok. that was a very scary situation to see him in. hope he doesn't suffer long term brain damage after that sack.

Glad to hear the positive report later on, but I have to comment on this post.

Bro, seeing Tua laying on the turf w/his hands looking the way they did was very upsetting. You never, ever want to see a player endure something like that. It made me sick to my stomach w/worry for that young man. He's also a very good dude that has taken a lot of crap while handling it w/class.

Agreed. It was unsettling to see that.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
at minimum Tua should sit the next 2-3 games.. A concussion/hit hard enough to induce a fencing response is no joke and NFl concussion protocol is a joke if they think he's good to go, Had no business playing Thurs and def should be out for a few games.. NfL acts like they care about safety until it starts to slow down ticket sales. Tua is injury prone as it is and back to back head to turf and letting him play is not in best interest of the player.. Regardless of what the "specialists" have to say, the team should to the right thing. Tua is an easy guy to root for, hate to see him screwed over by the team not thinking about safety ala Colts/Luck

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Reminder: there is a game at 9:30 this morning

B
Legend
Legend
B
I saw where the NFLPA has terminated the independent medical consultant related to the Tua deal.

I guess we are always looking for someone to blame.

The team Dr's saw no reason he couldn't play. The independent Dr. saw no reason he couldn't play. That leaves me with a few thoughts.

1. The injuries may have had nothing to do with the other and it was just a chance draw of the cards.

2. We also act like Dr.s know everything. That simply isn't the case, especially when you start dealing with neurological issues. Tua complained about a back issue but everybody concentrated on a concussion. The spine and brain are connected. Watching the hit on Thursday, the twisting of the back seemed pretty bad to my untrained eyes as the head hitting the turf didn't seem all that bad.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1974909 10/02/22 07:17 AM
Legend
Legend
So now there is a punishment for the doctor and the NFL is going to change the protocol.

Again the NFL is merely putting lipstick on to please the fans.

Those actions will not do a thing to lower the risk of concussion injuries.

They are after the fact of injury.

Concussions occur in collisions to the brain when contact is made with the head from hitting the ground or hitting another helmet.

The helmet and the ground has to change to reduce the risk of concussions.

Grass has way more give than turf. Helmets can be made better to protect the brain. It really is pretty simple. The brain is jello inside a case of skull. Collisions shake the brain.

Changing the protocol or punishing the doctor is window dressing.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
While I agree w/you and peen, I maintain that anyone who has ever had a concussion or played the sport and have seen others w/a concussion, there was no doubt that Tua had a concussion. It was criminal to put him back on the field Sunday and then start him on Thursday.

As I said before [and this is not me talking, it's the medical expert that one of the network's rely on]......you can use things like MRIs to determine ACL tears, shoulder issues, etc. You can see visible swelling w/sprains and the like. You can identify an irregular heartbeat and other issues. They refer to Concussions as The Black Hole because you can't accurately diagnose them like the other issues. This is not just true in sports, but for everyone out there...i.e. a person involved in a car crash. They determine if they someone has a concussion by symptoms, physical signs [like the staggering and grabbing one's head,] and a series of questions.

Thus, the thinking is that you error on the side of caution. Again, I had 7 of the damn things!!! Once you get one, the others come easier. And this is real important to anyone who doesn't know this and is reading this. The biggest issue w/concussions is what they do to people 15, 20, 25 years down the road. We have had players taking their own lives due to CET. Many of us suffer from things like depression, mood swings, etc. It's not a joking matter.

So, while I agree w/you guys that the NFL is to blame because of things like playing on cement fields, their quest for money, etc, we have to accept the fact that football is an extremely violent game and you will never be rid of concussions. They are a part of the game and while helmet improvements and playing on natural turf will help, concussions will always occur in football. Therefore, when one displays clear signs of a concussion.........you certainly don't trot him right back out there. Again, seeing Tua's head slam off the ground, him grabbing for it immediately, getting shakily up to his feet, stumbling on wobbly legs and falling while grabbing his head again should have told anyone involved that there was no way he should have been permitted to play.

Legend
Legend
Saints/Vikes is a snooze fest thus far. Dalton is so vanilla

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Falcons 23 Other Games

Link Copied to Clipboard