Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

One has to believe that the issues at WR and DT lie in one of three directions. Actually nobody knows which one but are quick at trying to lay blame on someone, almost anyone. But there is certainly a disconnect somewhere in the chain of command.

We have one legitimate WR in Cooper. I know, I know people are going to spout about DPJ but let's face it, in the two games where Cooper laid an egg the best DPJ could do is 60+ yards. So potential isn't equaling success. More times than not it doesn't. The DT's are horrible and everyone knew it going into the season. So trying to blame that on scheme makes no sense. You can either stop the run when it's ran straight up the middle or you can't. You can either shed blocks or you can't. It's pretty basic math.

So what happened? There are different possible scenarios here and as I said, nobody really knows which one it is. So everyone can try to lay blame in any which direction they choose but they have no idea if they are right or wrong. Here is what I see as possible scenarios.....

You have the possibility that the coaching staff doesn't recognize these weaknesses and are telling the FO they are fine with the players they have at both WR and DT. I would find that to be a rather far fetched idea but I suppose it's certainly a possibility. We have a very good OL and one would think that the obvious weakness at the DT would rear its ugly head on a regular basis for them to clearly see. The same I would think would be true at the WR position. Sure our defensive backfield has blown a few coverages but that happens as much as that seems to be surprising to some fans. So one would think the weakness at the WR position would also expose itself in practices. So to blame the coaching staff for this one would have to believe they're blind as a bat.

Another possibility is that the coaching staff is relaying they need help in these departments and something in the analytics is telling the FO that these two positions are not a priority and that resources are better invested elsewhere. Analytics is a very valuable tool but if one uses it as the end all be all on everything sometimes it can bite you in the ass.

Another possibility, even though the self appointed football God of Dawgtalkers thinks it's a crazy idea and not possible, one must consider that the remaining salary cap rolls over to next year. While I have no idea how likely it is, there is also the possibility that they were waiting on the decision of the length of the suspension for watson. Once again, what would analytics tell you?

First let's look at Brissetts's career stats. It tells you he's a very capable backup. In both games two and three he played far above what his stats would indicate and that's a very good bonus. But the analytics when looking at his body of work thus far in the NFL can't predict something like that. And as we saw in game four he could be coming back down to earth.

Secondly let's look at how FA contracts work with aging veterans. They're players that you don't mind dating but you sure as hell don't want to marry them. They're usually signed to one or two year deals. So they're more like a band aid on a bullet wound.

So let's look at the scenario here. With a career backup for 11 games, what would the analytics say about you making it to a SB with a career backup QB playing for 11 starts? Because I know many of you see making the playoffs as some end goal. However that's only the beginning of the end goal. 14 teams make the playoffs. Almost half of the entire league. Watson wasn't signed to "make the playoffs". He was signed to win SB's.

So once again, what would analytics tell you? Would it be better to wait until next year to address the WR and DT positions with those rentals with the roll over from this years salary cap? Or would it be wiser to use that money this year when your chances of winning a SB are virtually non existent? I know, i know, you can't win a SB unless you make the playoffs first. I get it. But what it boils down to is do you invest that money in a year where watson plays 6 games or 17?

As an example..... Would the Browns have signed Cole Beasley and or Suh had watson only received a four or six game suspension?

I don't have the answer to that question just like the rest of you don't.

So go ahead and make your guess at who deserves to be sacrificed. I'm sure many of you will continue to do so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: bugs
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Despite outcry, Browns offense is excellent on 4th down conversions

Cory Kinnan
October 3, 2022 7:59 pm ET

Whether it is liked by the fanbase or not, the Cleveland Browns are not going to stop going for it on 4th down. And they have good reason to stick with their process because they are quite good at it and they know it. The players love it, the analytics guys within the organization love it, and the 4th down attempts are not going to slow down.

Thus far in 2022, the Browns are tied for sixth in the NFL in 4th down conversions, executing on 66.67 percent of their attempts. On nine attempts this season, the Browns have converted six of them. This is a big step up from a year ago (gazes at the quarterback in Carolina), as the Browns converted just 41 percent of their attempts in 2021.

Using a full season’s worth of data a year ago, only the New England Patriots tallied a higher mark than what the Browns are currently toating through the first four games of the season. The average 4th down conversion rate a year ago was just under 52 percent as well. Over the past two seasons, the Browns are a total of 7-of-13 in the opposition’s redzone on 4th down as well.

This is a bet the Browns are willing to make every single time.

“We’re an aggressive offense. Stuff like that excites me. We’re not afraid to put it all on the line.” -TE David Njoku (via Mary Kay Cabot)

This is in their nature, their identity. They are a process-driven team, and Stefanski has said as much. The Browns are not going to compromise on that as it has been a staple of the Stefanski era thus far.

And they have no reason to despite a failed attempt on their opening drive against the Falcons.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
most of the successful 4th down conversions were QB sneaks, i suspect, where Brisset is probably the best in the game.

in fact, it is something i pleaded with them to do on the 2nd and goal from the 1 at the end of the half against the falcons.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Hammer
most of the successful 4th down conversions were QB sneaks, i suspect, where Brisset is probably the best in the game.

in fact, it is something i pleaded with them to do on the 2nd and goal from the 1 at the end of the half against the falcons.
Instead, we decided to run fades and PA and all this other stuff lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
So there's maybe multiple parts to this ...

1 is the decision on whether to go for it or not
2 is the play call when going for it
3 is the actual distance. 4th and 3 is different than 4th and 1
4 is your success rate. At 41% success rate you are leaving points out there more often than not. At 66% it's going to be the right call nearly always.

I think a blanket statement saying it's always the right call is very misleading.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Good post. I know I'll probably go off the rails a bit here, so I apologize in advance.

Scenario #1: No way, no how. Before the Browns threw their hat in the ring of "The Watson Sweepstakes", we all knew that those were strong areas of weakness. DT was already a revolving door and our top two WR from a season before were gone. Nobody can be that stupid.

Scenario #2: Eh, I won't blame analytics because analytics went out the door once we paid the steep price for Watson. So, although analytics and ego were hand-in-hand leading to the decision, "just can't get it done with Baker" made that journey inevitable. If they thought Baker was no way, no how; none of the rest matters (at least not in their minds). One would have to think that analytics played a part though... we traded out of the second (#44) to stack a third and two fourths... analytics would say we were "draft poor" after the monumental haul given to the Texans for Watson. It's hard to look down the barrel of a 2022 draft and make any judgement on the talent we passed on by trading #44, but maybe analytics says that without can't-miss-talent at DT/DE, it's better to take more stabs at it?

DePodesta: "When I think of analytics, I just think of having sure frameworks to make decisions under uncertainty." This is where there is a disconnect... We created a world of uncertainty by trading for Watson. I think we were pretty sure that he would be suspended 4-6 games at the time; but we threw "certainty" out the window. So now that there wasn't certain talent to fill areas of need, we banked on the "analytics go to"... upside. That approach led to David Bell and Perrion Winfrey.

Scenario #3: Cap and rollover became the only bullets left in the chamber. While we waited on "the decision" we kept that close to the vest (as we should). Once the news of the suspension came to pass, preserving that was no-brainer. Uncertainty became the only word to even describe the upcoming season at that point. Going forward, our draft stock sucks for two more years. Much of the decision pertaining to how quickly we spend can't even be addressed until we see Watson on the field.

When we pursued Watson, a 4-6 game suspension was the expected outcome. Going forward was probably a lot more cut and dried if that came to pass. Instead, uncertainty became a storm that had us drowning, with no clear-cut answers to most decisions... as we waited... and waited. Once we met our fate with the 11 game decision, 2022 became "let's see what we have before we make any brash decisions". At that point, cap and rollover became the only tools toward improving beyond the talent we have on the roster today. It wouldn't be sacrificed unless we caught lightning in a bottle with Brissett. Next year we'll have a middle-of-the-road 2nd round pick as our only standout stab at the draft. Our third is an end of round comp pick. We'll have cap space and possible trade chips to address any other upgrades.

To add even more uncertainty -- if Brissett is the average QB we think he is, the defense doesn't "figure it out", and Watson doesn't appear to be "the savior we deserve" down the stretch; we may very well be "lol same 'ole Browns" to any high-profile free agents. So, open up the doors and let the same stench back in that we worked forever to rid from the halls in Berea. Now obviously, that's worst case scenario, but the job of "analyzing" is to reconcile all scenarios.

So yes... as certain as we (as fans) can be about scenario #1, we can be just as certain that the common-sense approach to moving forward is to hold the assets we have until we see how 2022 plays out. At least that's the way I see it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Hammer

I agree w/both parts of your take. I think that was the one call that I really disagreed w/Stefanski on. I understood all the others, even if I wasn't in full agreement w/them.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
PFF GRADES THROUGH 4-weeks

TOTAL OFFENSIVE GRADES:
___________________________________zero players currently performing at Elite Level 90-100
___________________________________1 player currently performing at Pro Bowl Level 89-85
Chubb - RB - 88.5 - 1st of 57
___________________________________7 players performing at Starter Level 84-70
Teller - G - 82.3 - 2nd of 71
Brissett - QB - 77.6 - 6th of 33
Bitonio - G - 76.7 - 5th of 71
Conklin - OT - 75.7 - 14th of 70
Njoku - TE - 74.2 - 4th of 67
Cooper - WR - 70.3 - 33rd of 106
Pocic - C - 70.3 - 5th of 36
___________________________________9 players currently performing at Backup Level 69-60
Froholdt - C - 68.7 - NR
Hudson - OT - 67.4 - 32nd of 70
Hunt - RB - 66.8 - 26th of 57
Wills - OT - 63.1 - 42nd of 70
Schwartz - WR - 61.9 - NR
DPJ - WR - 61.6 - 71st of 106
Bryant - TE - 60.7 - 30th of 67
Johnson - RB - 60.0 - NR
Haeg - OT - 60.0 - NR
___________________________________5 players currently performing at Replaceable Level 59-0
Forristall - TE - 59.6 - NR
Bell - WR - 58.3 - 82nd of 106
Felton - WR - 56.1 - NR
Dunn - OT - 43.8 - NR
James - TE - 42.2 - NR

TOTAL DEFENSIVE GRADE
___________________________________1 player currently performing at Elite Level 90-100
Garrett - Edge - 91.6 - 2nd of 108
___________________________________1 player currently performing at Pro Bowl Level 89-85
Clowney - Edge - 89.2 - 8th of 108
___________________________________3 players currently performing at Starter Level 84-70
Walker - LB - 82.7 - 5th of 81 (Injured, out for season)
Takitaki - LB - 74.2 - 10th of 81
JOK - LB - 71.5 - 16th of 81
___________________________________3 players currently performing at Backup Level 69-60
Emerson - CB - 69.8 - 27th of 105
Bell - S - 64.4 - NR
Winfrey - DT - 61.3 - NR
___________________________________14 players currently performing Replaceable Level 59-0
Newsome - CB - 59.3 - 64th of 105
Bryan - DT - 58.3 - 65th of 124
Johnson - S - 56.4 - 56th of 82
Harrison - S - 55.3 - NR
Thomas - Edge - 51.6 - NR
Rochell - Edge - 50.3 - 97th of 108
Delpit - S - 50.0 - 70th of 82
Wright - Edge - 45.9 - 99th of 108
Ward - CB - 43.4 - 93rd of 105
Winovich - Edge - 42.4 - NR
Green - CB - 32.6 - NR
Elliott - DT - 29.5 - 123rd of 124
Phillips - LB - 28.8 - 80th of 81
Togiai - DT - 28.5 - 124th of 124

NR = Not Ranked due to not having snap minimum

SCALE:
100 - 90 = Elite level of play
85-89 = Pro Bowl level of play
84-70 = Starter level of play
69-60 = Backup level of play
59-0 = Replaceable level of play

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend

Local boy. Ran fast at combine but hasn’t done much in the league. Has returned a few kicks with Arizona.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Did the Browns WIN THE GAME...?

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS...!!

The only stats that matter are on the SCOREBOARD..!

Last edited by mac; 10/04/22 05:07 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Bring him in.

A
Legend
Legend
A
While I think not highly of you, you nailed it here. These "grades"? How do they matter? Who won, who lost, that is all that matters.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
While I think not highly of you, you nailed it here. These "grades"? How do they matter? Who won, who lost, that is all that matters.

arch...make no mistake, I think no less of you...

You are too young, too inexperienced and too uneducated to know that football players are never too old to learn.

Just because someone told you that all learning stops at a predetermined point, those who have played and taught the game of football know how wrong you are.

Take more time to learn life's lessons...then maybe you will understand... thumbsup

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Legend
Legend
A
You are so full of crap I'm surprised you can breathe.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mac

Did the Browns WIN THE GAME...?

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS...!!

The only stats that matter are on the SCOREBOARD..!

I didn't say a thing about PFF grades through 4 weeks. Why the hell are you attributing that quote to me?

Furthermore, it says through 4 weeks. That is not ONE game. That's four games and the Browns have won 2 games. I understand you are still living in a cave and wear a sheepskin cape while carrying a big club around, but some of us have evolved and understand the importance of using data to further our knowledge.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I thought you didn't like name calling. Guess I was wrong.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
I do know we were interested in Isabella before … not sure if that’s still the case

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by Milk Man

guys.....looks like we gotta find a way to cut the stadium power off once the 3rd quarter ends. then we'll be ok.

Super Bowl, here we come!

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: eotab
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Pitt, nice thought-out deduction.

You can't be great in every position because it's not cost-effective. As we can see, the FO pretty much spelled out where they want to invest.

I believe they are trying to specialize in both the DT and WR positions. It's always been difficult to find a quality 3T DT. I think their goal is finding inside-pass rushers/gap containment. As we saw Sunday, small DTs without DE support are a recipe for failure. Going forward unless we get lucky, Winfrey maybe, I would expect Berry continues to find DTs in mid to late rounds.

I feel the same way about the receiver position. They wanted a solid #1 receiver. Now they will fill in around Cooper with route runners and speedsters. On paper, Swartz, Bell, and DPJ are exactly what you are looking for. The real question becomes can they develop? These three don't need to be great simply reliable and consistent.

The biggest flaw in building the team in this way is your vulnerability if the main guys don't play. Then again, you are most likely unsuccessful if your main guys don't play regardless. I think it will take several years before the DT and WR position becomes stable.

Lastly, I believe Berry's primary goal is to stop the passing game and take their chances against the run. After all, very few teams have an effective run game. On the flip side, I think having an effective run game complements the passing game. Very few defenses are not built to stop the run. Teams are forced to contain the run game allowing less protection against the pass.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Film Room: LB Sione Takitaki is a consistent positive presense for Browns

Cory Kinnan
October 5, 2022 7:00 am ET

The Cleveland Browns have been anything but consistent on the defensive side of the football. However, one player who continues to play a sound and dependable brand of football is SAM linebacker Sione Takitaki.

Playing out his contract year with the Browns, Takitaki may be having his best season yet in Cleveland. And now with the mounting injuries defensively (especially losing Anthony Walker Jr. for the season), the Browns are already asking more of Takitaki. One has to wonder if they could ask even more of him as they try to fill the void at MIKE linebacker.

As the Browns enter Week 5 looking to rebound against the Los Angeles Chargers, we take a look at Takitaki’s tape from 2022 and where the 27-year-old linebacker could go from here.

What do the analytics say on Takitaki?
The former 2019 third round draft pick has been a dynamic run defender since entering the league. According to PFF, he has always posted strong run defense and tackling grades from his SAM post for the Browns.

Over the past two seasons, however, there has been a significant uptick in his coverage grade as well. His grade has improved by 30 points over from his first two seasons to his last two seasons.

Thus far in 2022, Takitaki is seeing some of his highest marks yet. His run defense grade may not be the highest it has ever been, but he still finds himself in the green with a grade of 66.6. His tackling grade sits at an excellent 81.6, with his coverage grade rising all the way up to 73.9. Takitaki currently sits with his highest pass rush grade of his career through four in 2022, as he touts a grade of 67.4. Overall, Takitaki is sitting with a career-high PFF grade with a total of 74.2.

Now that we have nerded out a bit on Takitaki for contextual purposes, we now turn on the tape.

A physical presense who is not afraid of contact

There are few players in the league who know their role is predominantly to do the dirty work and keep their teammates clean. Takitaki is one of those players who knows his role and is more than happy to do it.

His numbers will not show up in the scoreboard, but his reps sure do pop on tape. A physical presense on the defensive side of the football for the Browns, Takitaki is not afraid to take full backs and pulling blockers to fulfill his responsibility and make life easier on Jacob Phillips and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.

His level of physicality and ability to blow up lead blockers has even proven to blow up entire run designs and give running backs nowhere to breathe. There is no other linebacker on the roster, and maybe even another player completely, who has the mentality to take on this job.

To pour even more favor into Takitaki’s lap, he has been charted on 82 special teams reps as well. Again, Takitaki is the kind of player worth keeping on your roster.

Assignment sound who is disciplined to his gap

The killer for the Browns’ defense against the Atlanta Falcons came down to the wandering eyes of Phillips on a handful of occasions. This is another reasons to feel comfortable should the Browns put more on Takitaki’s plate: he is a disciplined player who will not get his eyes caught chasing the football.

If Takitaki is responsible for setting the edge, he will set the edge. If he is responsible for playing the backside C-gap, you had better believe he will be in position to make a play should the ball carrier decide to attack a cutback lane. This is littered on his tape as Takitaki is a player the Browns can put on the field without fearing that he will work himself out of position.

And it helps that he has not been charted with a missed tackle through four weeks as well. The fourth-year linebacker is just a sound, solid football player when he is on the field.

He's even shown some savvy in coverage

Given that he is the SAM linebacker, Takitaki has not been asked to play in coverage a great deal. However, NFL teams love to throw the ball out of 12 and 13 personnel, packages where the Browns would realistically come out in base.

Takitaki has a couple highlight interceptions in his career as well, including a pick-six off of Carson Wentz in a 2020 victory, as well as a game-sealing interception to wrap up Cleveland’s first playoff win since returning in 1999 as well.

To much surprise, Takitaki’s framework in coverage is a bit more advanced than expected when watching his tape from this season back again. He shows the ability to feel out routes up the seam and crossers over the middle of field, shows no difficulty sticking running backs out of the backfield, and even trailing them down the field as well.

The Browns have already gotten to a desperate point at linebacker, where Takitaki was on the field 75 percent of snaps against the Falcons as opposed to his normal 20 percent. However, keeping their usual SAM linebacker on the field more often has not compromised their attack in coverage one bit.

What is next for Takitaki?
Takitaki is entering the last season of his contract with the Browns, and there is a great deal of unknown beyond 2022. As SAM linebackers are a dying breed (he typically plays around 18 snaps per game), his price tag should not be too steep.

The player he most compares to on the open market is linebacker Frankie Luvu, who plays for the Carolina Panthers. During the 2021 offseason, Luvu was given a two-year deal worth just $4 million annually. This is a deal the Browns should do for Takitaki in a heartbeat to keep one of their most consistent and physical defenders.

With Anthony Walker Jr. out for the season, and with Jacob Phillips continuing to struggle, the Browns may even want to consider plugging in Takitaki at MIKE. All he needs to do is do his job and remain disciplined, which is something Phillips has had difficulties doing.

He is assignment sound, a physical thumper, and has even shown a decent framework and solid instincts in coverage as well. The Browns already have a solid football player in Takitaki, but could make a move to try and pull even more out of him and the defense.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Well, he’s a good blocker

Legend
Legend
Eight years ago Brown had a leg injury so bad they thought they would have to amputate.

He's never quite returned to form. At the time he was considered to be one of the best TEs in college and definitely helped Mariota win his Heisman.

6'6", 260lb Cleveland native who loves the game. Would love to see him contribute. Welcome back, Pharaoh!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Well, he’s a good blocker

Yes, he is a load as a blocker ... I thought that he had a good game vs us with the Texans too.

Forristall gives good effort, but he is just at such a disadvantage blocking vs DEs'.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it’s an upgrade then

Legend
Legend
j/c...

I find it odd/interesting that they didn't list him as former Cleveland Brown Pharaoh Brown.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

Bring him in.

Meh, to me he's basically a lower ceiling Schwartz.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Yup.

Tackles are tackles.
5 members like this: Ballpeen, jfanent, ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
When you do not have patience with a head coach. You may lose a great one.

The history of NFL head coaches would be a good read for many who week to week overreact.

Legend
Legend
No doubt about it, and Butch is the only one close to him, but that doesn't make him above criticism.

It doesn't matter how good he is offensively if the defense poops the bed every week. He isn't the OC, he's the HC. He owns BOTH and is responsible for BOTH and he will get called out for BOTH.
Same thing goes for his 4th down calls. We've lost as many games to those as we did missed FG's last year and the same could be said for this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I agree w/Jason Lloyd. The guy is one of the better HCs in the league. The blame game by the fans who don't really know what they are talking about is ridiculous. I love this saying and coaches on every level can identify w/it.

“If you listen to the fans, you'll find yourself sitting with them”

Legend
Legend
j/c...

I think Stefanski is a good coach. I think he has done very well with adapting an offense to Brissett. I fail to understand how every criticism is equated to placing him at the center of some Greek tragedy. Everyone has opinions, this is a message board. If you think this is bad -- go read a Steelers board -- a much larger contingent has been calling Tomlin a crap coach for years. They call for his head every time he doesn't win a Super Bowl.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Stefanski is an average head coach who has gotten average results.

Browns fans are enamored with him because he doesn't look like a slob, doesn't say stupid things, and has given the offense an identity.

None of those things make him a great head coach.

The results are what they are.

At this point you have to hope he can continue to grow into the role because starting over would be dumb.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Relax already,he's about the 20th highest paid coach in the NFL.
One thing I know about economics is you get what you pay for.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
I agree with you and made mention in another thread that the Browns are planning for next year with the cap money.

You can only do so much with assets. Everything surrounding this season is chancy. Trying to address weaknesses at DT and WR at he same time while playing a back up qb is difficult.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Yup.

Well if we forget about mediocre play calling on both O and D, how bad we sometimes look, the inconsistency and all the drama we had the last two seasons he’s great. One of the best ever.

Why focus on stupid things like results.

Legend
Legend
Not sure if you follow baseball but here is an analogy.

There is a scouting report on a hitter that is very detailed. There is a plan in place for how to pitch each batter. The catcher gets a signal and calls the pitch.

Sometimes the hitter gets beat. Sometimes they may hit a good pitch. None of the results mean the scouting report and plan is wrong.

A head coach has a game plan that is based upon a scouting report. The game situation can change plans. The HC calls a play based upon the best information available which includes favorable match-ups and other factors.

The players have to execute. Some of the players do. Some don't.

Does that make the head coach a bad coach if the play fails?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Head Coach is the guy that takes responsibility for the team and how it performs. It's like the President of a Company takes responsibilty for how the company performs. The President doesn't make the product, design new products, he doesn't (typically) inspire the innovation, he doesn't make the sales calls or produce the marketing ... yet at the end of the day he is responsible.

If the players aren't executing, if the play calls are questionable on O and D, if they aren't being coached up/improving ... it is still on the HC. I think that's pretty straight forward. And I think some in their defense of Stefanski and rush to call others stupid for questioning him because the offense is performing (statistically) well - are dead wrong. Stefanski doesn't call the defensive plays - but he is still 100% responsible for that part of the team's performance, just as much as the O. When KS creates a game plan to help Brissett play well, he gets kudos. As he should. But if he is presiding over a team with poor tackling and miscommunication - he owns that too.

Legend
Legend
At the same time the plan can be great but if the players do not execute it is not on the HC.

In addition HC do not have control of injuries. The Browns are not good enough with starters let alone backups.

We have played 4 games. in my opinion I believe Stefanski has had good game plans. And called a decent game. Play calling can at times be overated.

I think Sunday's loss was more on personnel than coaching. The Jet loss was on coaching.

I am uncertain about Woods. But I think Stefanski is a good coach and he will get better. New head coaches have to gain experience.

I don't think it is wise to measure things week to week especially with a guy in his third season as head coach. Stefanski has done well and will improve.

Good organizations have patience. The Browns have not had patience. This is not a normal year there are many factors at play.

I think the Browns will win this Sunday if we can get the key guys back. We have to have a pass rush.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I tend to agree, my concerns are the players kept which KS must have an input into, some consistent play calling issues that have reared their head ovwr his entite time here, player development, and the D missteps which ultimately I feel a HC needs to address. I'm not nearly as down on KS as others but I'm becoming concerned if we don't see the results change, and that doesn't need to be wins with a back up QB and injuries to our best players, it means the issues being addressed amd visible differences in our worst performing areas.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard