Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1975827 10/03/22 02:31 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Anybody else watch the new Netflix series on Dahmer? I thought it was well done to take it in from all accounts.

I obviously had heard of the killings, but really didn’t know it that detailed. I thought it was a good documentary/story to show how it went down.

There were parts that really bothered me (as they should), but also parts that made me mad with the police, victims, families, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Really like it.

The well done documentaries on serial killers always end up revolving around the same issue: nature vs. nurture. Were they born with the predilection, or did something happen along the way to trigger that electrical misfire in the brain? Maybe both.

The Dahmer victim Tracy Edward's full court testimony is pretty chilling. Dahmer's father speaking about not knowing what was in the trunks or not wanting to know was interesting. Etc... Always the ones who look "normal".

Except for killers like Ivan Milat or Larry Hall. Almost doomed from the start. Great documentaries to be found there as well.

If you believe in Good, you've got to believe in Evil. If you believe in the devil, chances are you believe in God as well.

Who knows?

But I really like these documentaries.

Legend
Legend
I started it and watched the first two episodes. I'll probably resume soon, but it is hard to watch. On one hand, that's a testament to the actors depiction. I've seen enough Dahmer to say that this dude has him nailed.

I've seen some docs previously and they were never as raw. I remember a docudrama that pushed the envelope of "what I want to see". This is already blowing that away; again, hard to watch.

I read some reaction, it runs the gamut from outrage to analyzing social effect. There are many that say this almost romanticizes Dahmer (much because of the solid acting). Most say it is very accurate historically.

I think the common theme I'm reading from "reaction" seems to be a well-directed and acted depiction that induces empathy for Dahmer. I know that I can take those emotions and store them where they belong in my internal file cabinet. I'm not sure that other would-be-serial-killers, sexual deviants, troubled people with a penchant for violence, el-whacko-sickos who have entertained cannibalism; can do the same. I'm hopeful.

Please take that with a grain of salt (and definitely not a "shaming"). I'm only saying that because I was so invested with the performance that I immediately realized there was a downside to the series being so good and so real.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thought it was great. Evan Peters played an outstanding role as Dahmer.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No doubt. The actor(s) nailed it IMO. One of the better acted Netflix docs I’ve seen

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
It was really gripping. The best show about him by far.

No Craps Given
B
Legend
Legend
B
My wife loved it. I watched the first two episodes and decided I didn't want to watch a show about homosexual fantasy, torture, and eating people.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1st String
1st String
The guy playing Dahmer is way too convincing there. And really the guy deserves an Emmy there. But having said that, really do not like it when they glamorize killers. How about victims and their families?! They deserve their own stories.

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The acting really was superb

T
Legend
Legend
T
How is that name a topic.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Jeffrey Dahmer

Link Copied to Clipboard