Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1976116 10/05/22 08:05 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
aye, somebody find that article of NK launching another dummy missile over Japan recently. look at this nonsense:

Seoul's reprisal blows up after North Korean missile success

https://www.yahoo.com/news/skorea-says-missile-malfunctioned-fell-230503953.html

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A malfunctioning South Korean ballistic missile blew up as it plowed into the ground Wednesday during a live-fire drill with the United States that was a reprisal for North Korea's successful launch a day earlier of a weapon that flew over Japan and has the range to strike the U.S. territory of Guam.

The explosion and subsequent fire panicked and confused residents of the coastal city of Gangneung, who were already uneasy over the increasingly provocative weapons tests by rival North Korea. Their concern that it could be a North Korean attack only grew as the military and government officials provided no explanation about the explosion for hours.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said no injuries were reported from the explosion, which involved a short-range Hyumoo-2 missile that crashed inside an air force base on the outskirts of the city.

A Joint Chiefs of Staff official, who spoke on condition of anonymity during a background briefing, said the missile’s warhead didn’t explode during the crash and that the fire was caused by burning rocket propellant. The official said the missile fell soon after liftoff and that no civilian facilities were affected.

Kwon Seong-dong, a governing party lawmaker representing Gangneung, wrote on Facebook that a “weapons system operated by our blood-like taxpayer money ended up threatening our own people” and called for the military to thoroughly investigate the missile failure. He also criticized the military for not issuing a notice about the failure while maintaining a media embargo on the joint drills.

“It was an irresponsible response,” Kwon wrote. “They don’t even have an official press release yet.”

South Korea's military acknowledged the malfunction hours after internet users raised alarm about the blast and posted social media videos showing an orange ball of flames emerging from an area they described as near the air force base. It said it was investigating what caused the “abnormal flight” of the missile.

Officials at Gangneung’s fire department and city hall said emergency workers were dispatched to the air force base and a nearby army base in response to calls about a possible explosion but were sent back by military officials.

The U.S. and South Korean militaries are conducting the joint exercises to show their ability to deter a North Korean attack on the South. During Tuesday's drills, they conducted bombing runs by F-15 strike jets using precision munitions and launched two missiles each that are part of the Army Tactical Missile System.

Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan was scheduled to return to waters east of South Korea on Wednesday to demonstrate the allies’ "firm will” to counter North’s continued provocations and threats. The carrier was part of drills last week with South Korea and Japan.

The homegrown Hyumoo-2 is key to South Korea’s preemptive and retaliatory strike strategies against the North. Some versions of the missile are similar to Russian-designed Iskander missiles, which also inspired a localized variant in North Korea as it expands its arsenal of nuclear-capable short-range weapons designed to evade South Korea’s missile defenses.

North Korea’s successful launch of a nuclear-capable ballistic missile hours before the drills was the country's most provocative weapons demonstration since 2017 and was its fifth round of weapons tests in 10 days.

That missile has a range capable of striking Guam, which is home to one of the largest military facilities maintained by the U.S. in Asia. North Korea in 2017 also tested missiles capable of hitting the continental United States.

Japan’s lower house, the more powerful of the two-chamber parliament, adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning North Korea's launch, saying that the flight over Japan posed a “grave and imminent" threat to the country's security.

South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said the country’s deputy nuclear envoy, Lee Tae-woo, met with U.S. counterpart Jung Park in Seoul on Wednesday to discuss the recent North Korean launches and vowed to strengthen three-way cooperation with Tokyo to counter the threat and bring Pyongyang back to the negotiation table.

North Korea has fired nearly 40 ballistic missiles over about 20 different launch events this year, exploiting Russia’s war on Ukraine and the resulting deep divide in the U.N. Security Council to accelerate its arms development without risking further sanctions.

Its aim is to develop a fully fledged nuclear arsenal capable of threatening the U.S. mainland and its allies while gaining recognition as a nuclear state and wresting concessions from those countries.

The United States, Britain, France, Albania, Norway and Ireland called for an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council over the latest North Korean launch. The open meeting was scheduled for 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Washington’s nuclear diplomacy with Pyongyang has stalled since 2019 over disagreements in exchanging the release of crippling U.S.-led sanctions against the North and the North’s disarmament steps.

______

damnit SK, why you embarrassing us like this? get it together!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
North Korea, IMHO, is a one-of-a-kind place, where I feel like they just crave any sort of negative attention in order to get stuff, or be appeased. They never follow through on their end in negotiations. It's all "Let's fire off missiles to get food!" They have to do everything through their military to reinforce the fear, both the population's fear of the Government and the population's fear of the "threat" provided by outside Governments.

I don't think they have any honest hope or ambition of actually going into the South, because that would 1) be a nightmare for their military and 2) culturally expose their people to the fact they've been lied to about how life can be.

"Wait, you mean we can all be 400 lbs from eating cheese like our dear leader?????"

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i agree, this is why we need Lead to come in here and break down the situation for us. i dunno if he still lurks this section of the boards, but homeboy did a lot of time on the side of the world in the military, so we need him to at least give us the rundown of whats going on.

cause i dunno wtf NK really wants, or what their endgame is, or anything like that. its like Russia, you THINK you know, but then when light is exposed on it, it's completely different, and mostly off the rails.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
2 members like this: Ballpeen, dawglover05
L
Legend
Legend
L
Russia is a little different, they've always had a seat and a bit of fear/respect as a nuclear state, Putin aside, most of the oligarchy just want the money from being a player in the global market and want Russia to be known as a viable exporter of resources. Putin is damaging that mission. I think that the situation they are currently in has exposed Putin and Russia's military strength.. Don't be fooled by the US supplying "aid" to Ukraine, while they might call is humanitarian, it is 100% a proof of concept of US military against russia. We are proving our weapons/systems are superior and we are the reason ukraine is succeeding. Don't think Russia doesn't see this. This is all being done without the risk of US soldiers.

Now NK, its changed a bit between il and un, Il's whole deal was getting control over his people through brutality and fear, any means necessary. To ensure a lasting family dynasty. He restricted trade and did everything to keep people from leaving. When the Soviet Union fell they lost their main supporter. Which as we know eventually led to the Arduous March. So that was leading to mass defection. Il made sure that he and the government would survive and did that by using the military. Since then the Military has been a sign of social status, even back then, if you were in the KPA you got food and resources before the people did. That drove citizens to join the military just to survive. NK has a Songun policy that really started with Il. Now Un is bad the same way his dad was by still adopting the military/gov above all else. But biggest thing is they want to be taken seriously as a Global player and want to be seen as a capable military and nuclear state. Under Clinton, we really tried alot to get NK to denuclearize, from diplomacy, economic aid, food. Allied with other countries to try to get NK to the table and treat them as partners. It led to some tenative freezes and things but the whole thing was untenable because they always found ways to cheat. Under Un they really don't want to be part of the Interational community, but they still want to be seen as a threat should anyone not play their game. I think having talked to alot of soldiers on the SK side while there, NK while never coming out and saying it, really desire reunification. Problem is the support from SK citizens is getting less and less. So its kind of a I'll break up with you before you can break up with me. US having allies in both Japan and SK makes making a military move risky. Because while SK and Japan are formidable, China and Russia provide much more combined with the KPA. Though from what I've seen, its kind of a love/hate with China/NK, while China provides economic support I'm not sure they'd be willing to be pulled into a war with the US. They are against the nuclear capabilities in the hand of KJU. Russia was the same way. North Korea I think ultimately is just trying to build deterrent. It goes back to trying to ensure survival of the government. They believe the US and its allies want to remove them from power. So all this comes from a place of insecurity. They don't trust anyone. The other train of thought we heard of alot goes back to reunification. If not in the true sense, they want to build up enough of their weapon arsenal to use it as leverage to get the US out of SK and maybe broker a treaty of some source of treaty with SK. They are in a bad way right now. In history, when things start to get bad, they do things like this to get attention.. Creates a global event to something they do that could be provoking. So then the rich countries like the US come to them and say " hey whats it going to take to stop this" Its perpetual.

Anyone thats done the DMZ rotation can tell you its pretty bad. Alot of watching them watching you. we have like 60 or so posts while they have triple that. Tons of mines, and I mean Tons, like over a million. But you see stuff while there and you realize that NK military, while vast in number, would fold like a cheap tent if rounds started going downrange. I've done time at Casey, Osan and even Hovey. While I loved being able to get to Seoul. Horrible duty.

Just a parting comment. While any threat of WWIII is just catastrophic to think about, I think people sometimes forget how good our military is(aside from the abortion that was Afghanistan pull out), well before the Zoomers ruin it(lol). Noone has fought in more conflicts. We are the most battle tested military with air and sea superiority. Our SpecOps are second to none, and any in the same realm like UKSF are allies. We have the most technologically advanced allies in the world. WW3 would be bad for sure, but with the allies we have it would end quickly. I think China and Russia know this. I think Putin will be taken out shortly if the continued threats towards the US keep occuring. They have to know at some point we will call that bluff.. If your military can't beat a bunch a armed civilians, what are you going to do if we come rolling through. North Korea is the same, its all posturing from an insecure man. This last missile "test" is just a cry for attention, but make no mistake, one of those rockets hit japan or SK even by accident, it will get real fast. On the DMZ we kinda always hoped they would F around and find out. But we will see here, US and Allies will meet, they will threaten KJU, they will compromise and things will quiet down until they run out of whatever it is we gave them and then they'll have another "test" and we will talk about again..lol. NK will be a problem until China and Russia see them for what they really are and that is a dangerous leech that might cause them to be pulled into something they don't want. Because make no mistake, china couldn't afford to lose the US as a trade partner. They might do the work for us.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
3 members like this: Ballpeen, dawglover05, Swish
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
thanks for the breakdown. i learned a lot.

so until NK actually launches something real, it's "aye, we're low on food again, start sending the aid."

i know their still human beings and it matters, but the crap that goes on in myanmar and such, is that something that's something we need to be concerned about? or is that just typical beef between neighboring asian countries?

- Theodore Roosevelt
L
Legend
Legend
L
yep pretty much, just saber rattling by Un. Biggest issue in NK, is almost all the citizens have no idea how bad they have it, they just assume everyone is like this. Myanmar is a human rights nightmare, has been since the 40's and like most of the conflicts based on religion Muslim vs Buddist which is kind of ironic..lol. They started to work for reform and it was slowly working then Bam! the cyclone in 2015 set them back again. Myanmar is really depressing because of how its affecting the children. Its a sad affair there

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks for that summary, lead. That was awesome. I had always wondered what would happened if NK continued to do their testing and everything else and we just ignored it.

It seems like recently we are headed more into that approach, especially with everything else grabbing the headlines, but I could be mistaken.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by dawglover05
North Korea, IMHO, is a one-of-a-kind place, where I feel like they just crave any sort of negative attention in order to get stuff, or be appeased. They never follow through on their end in negotiations. It's all "Let's fire off missiles to get food!" They have to do everything through their military to reinforce the fear, both the population's fear of the Government and the population's fear of the "threat" provided by outside Governments.

I don't think they have any honest hope or ambition of actually going into the South, because that would 1) be a nightmare for their military and 2) culturally expose their people to the fact they've been lied to about how life can be.

"Wait, you mean we can all be 400 lbs from eating cheese like our dear leader?????"

Probably so, but desperate people resort to desperate actions, especially if they feel that people aren't taking them seriously.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't really buy into that in this case. They made it through the Arduous March, like lead mentioned, under KJI. His biggest thing is making sure he controls his own populace, and I don't see that cracking anytime soon. For all their flaws, I can't think of a place that is better than isolating itself from the outside world. It's become such a necessity for them, too. If half that population realized how people in Seoul actually lived, he'd have more trouble on his hands than if they went through another famine.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
(aside from the abortion that was Afghanistan pull out)

You can't use abortion and pull out in the same sentence. Everyone knows that. angel

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: leadtheway
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Southeast/East Asia Drama

Link Copied to Clipboard