Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
bro, im not trying to start beef with anybody on the board when it comes to football, but why people acting as if we cant talk about baker anymore? the dude was a #1 overall pick and was with this team for 4 years. its no different than when we follow guys on other teams who we drafted to see how well or bad they're playing.

and especially at the QB position, and ESPECIALLY with all the drama, i dont see why posters keep acting like we're supposed to just move on, especially when our own QB still wont be playing for another 10 weeks.

not trying to stir up beef, but this aspect of the baker discussions is something that doesn't make sense. didnt we all follow brandon weeden and other QB's when they went to other teams and compared how they did to our QB at that specific moment? i dont see anything bad or stalking or anything about following bakers progress - or lack thereof - THIS season.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1976136 10/05/22 09:32 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's because they still love/like Baker and don't want to hear it, so they gang up on others and try to bully them into posting only what they want hear. Bro, ask yourself this......Did those same posters stop talking about Hue right after he was fired? Did they stop talking about OBJ right after he left? I also say that after all the personal attacks they dished out to those who identified Baker's weaknesses, it's time to cash the checks their mouths wrote.

1 member likes this: Swish
Milk Man #1976139 10/05/22 09:41 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Had to of POOPED in his pants...only thing I can think of. naughtydevil

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
mgh888 #1976145 10/05/22 10:06 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I feel bad for Baker.

I feel bad for him too.

Why ? I mean I liked and supported Baker while he was our QB. I thought he faced some huge obstacles like Hue and Freddie. I believe GM when he says OBJ ran the wrong routes.

But at the end of the day the guy is a pro athlete paid millions. He's playing stinky rank football on a bad team..... Others have done so before him and will after him. If he can play up to his best form when he was a Brown then the spotlight will move to other parts of the team/coaching .... But he owns his bad play. Despite what some posters have thought or suggested I've always said he owns his own actions and play whether it was social media, being out of condition for season 2, or playing badly. This is not much different.

It's empathy. I still like Baker. I understand we upgraded our QB position and don't have a problem with that, but overall Baker played pretty well for our team, 'cept for last season when he was injured. I hope he can pull it together again, for his sake.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I thought he peaked when he led us to the playoffs and our first playoff win in 15 years. His play sucks now. Yet no matter how much everyone keeps saying he's playing like dog crap you and some others sounds like petulant children with your incessant need to keep repeating it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish #1976194 10/05/22 12:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me try to explain. It really has nothing to do with "talking about Baker". It is how he gets injected into every thread. Even those that have nothing to do with the QB position. It's also partly because many of the same people who persist on bringing it up were the very same people who said they wished the Panthers game would get over with so they didn't have to hear about Baker anymore. But now that Baker is playing so crappy they just can't help but the play this game.

And the funniest part of all is the same people that Vers claims are "The Baker Boys" have said and agreed that Baker is playing like crap. Of course Vers won't man up and read those posters so he has no idea about that and just makes up lies instead. So it's not that people "talk about baker". It's their incessant need to spread and infect every thread with it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I also say that after all the personal attacks they dished out to those who identified Baker's weaknesses, it's time to cash the checks their mouths wrote.

And there you have it. The one claiming he only wants to talk football in the Pure Football forum, who was so offended that watson was being talked about in this forum, has finally manned up and admitted he only talks about Baker to trash talk. Finally just a tad bit of honesty from him for a change.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1976196 10/05/22 01:04 PM
Legend
Legend
His play definitely sucks now. I think a good chunk of it is him, but also it is impacted by what's around him. He has weapons, but that OLine is hot garbage.
He also still hasn't figured out what defenders are seeing that allow them to bat so many of his passes. It can't be his height because Drew Brees never had that issue to this extent. If he fixes that, it would probably extend 30% of his drives and dramatically improve his effectiveness. I did finally realize that this is why he has started sailing so many passes high... it isn't his shoulder and apparently never was. It is his answer to the guys batting his passes. So, either he needs to do some serious work to get the higher release as accurate as his old release was, or he needs to figure out how to bait guys into putting their hands up too soon, or something.

He definitely peaked the year he took us to the playoffs, and no mistake be made, he took us. That wasn't a Ty Detmer year where he was carried, and it wasn't even a Brandon Weeden year where the QB had great numbers but only because he was bailed out a lot.... dude was outright balling. That was also the year that Stefanski did a lot of stuff to suit him, but then, for reasons that remain a mystery, Stefanski wasn't calling as much of that stuff last year.... the designed roll outs and all the play-action stuff seemed to be greatly reduced last year, and that was the stuff that had Baker lighting it up and had us scoring fast and getting giant chunks of yardage. This year, we seem to be back to seeing more rollouts and play action. I don't know why we would have went away from the things that worked, and now be reverting back, but we did and have.

The injury: It was not an excuse any more than it was THE reason. It was A reason and it kept getting harped on because people kept trying to overly minimize it, or even outright discount it. Same thing with losing half the offensive line. I don't give a damn what the OLine rankings were listed as by some nobody.... we had 3rd, 4th, and 5th string guys lining up at both OT spots for most of the season, and I feel like we were without one or two of the interior guys a few times, too. In the end, it WAS a factor, but it wasn't the factor folks made it out to be to counter the folks that were completely dismissive of it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the questions about how important the shoulder injury is exactly for the reason you mentioned. Because the year before he did so much better and led us to the playoffs. The contrast of his play between those two years was inexplicable unless the injury made the difference in many peoples minds. So to that extent I think that reasoning made sense. But there's really no excuse for his performance this year. I understand the points you're making about the Panthers OL being hot garbage. But by this stage in his career he simply isn't processing information as fast as he should. By game four he has to know he isn't going to have much time and must get the ball out quickly.

I did notice how the play calling last year worked away from what his previous strengths were. As with everyone on a message board we can only guess as to the reasons why that happened. My guess was that his injury played a part in that. That exposing himself to hits outside the pocket and possibly how the injury impacted his throwing on the move were major contributors to that. But as I said, all any of us can do is guess as to the whys of that.

The thing is people are right that Mayfield isn't a QB that was going to elevate the players around him. That just isn't who he is. When he was playing well he was a middle of the pack QB. The job of an NFL FO is to upgrade any and all positions to make your team better. So no matter what the haters say, I don't think anyone really disagrees with that. I don't think anyone but possibly a person or two on this entire board said otherwise. I have my reasons as to why I object to the move they made in order to do so, but everyone who reads this board knows that and this isn't the place to bring up that discussion.

People find it convenient to try to tie your feelings on the QB situation by connecting Baker with watson. They can't seem to comprehend that people can place their opinions on the two based on each of them as individuals.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
It's very clear that Baker never figured out how to play the position. And his confidence looks to be shattered on top of that. He's nowhere near as bad as he is playing, but his current play wasn't totally unpredictable either. He was either going to rise up with that chip on his shoulder or crash and burn. He's crashing and burning. It's hard to feel bad for him since he brought a lot of it on himself, but I do just the same.

I really thought a light bulb went on the second half of 2020. I agree he wasn't being carried. He was dropping back, making reads, and delivering strikes. I just think nuch of Baker's game is built on confidence and momentum and when those are lost he doesn't have anything to fall back on.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
He also still hasn't figured out what defenders are seeing that allow them to bat so many of his passes. It can't be his height because Drew Brees never had that issue to this extent. If he fixes that, it would probably extend 30% of his drives and dramatically improve his effectiveness. I did finally realize that this is why he has started sailing so many passes high... it isn't his shoulder and apparently never was. It is his answer to the guys batting his passes. So, either he needs to do some serious work to get the higher release as accurate as his old release was, or he needs to figure out how to bait guys into putting their hands up too soon, or something.

You got a drill for him, Prp?!? tongue

He hasn't learned that he will never win sniping with the fans and media. Now, the Panthers are facing the league's best defense this week.

Milk Man #1976303 10/05/22 09:14 PM
Legend
Legend
So, the year that we went to the playoffs, he did a lot of pump faking, and a lot of looking off receivers. I have to imagine that this influenced DLine trying to stuff passing lanes as much as it influenced DBs trying to cover.
Maybe he just wasn't as hurried all the time back then and had the time to actually do that stuff?? I don't know, but I do know that he doesn't have that time now, and he was hurried a lot last year, and he hasn't been doing any pump fakes or whatever. DLine can just see where he is looking and as soon as that elbow goes back, they can put their mitts up right in the line he is looking.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Falcons 23 Other Games

Link Copied to Clipboard