Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't have first-hand down-range knowledge as much as all the guys who have done active duty recently, but my understanding to that end is "not so much anymore."

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by dawglover05
https://www.yahoo.com/news/oil-dispute-prompts-call-remove-171759875.html

This is absolutely the right move. I hope Republicans can think past their obstructionism and come together on this one.

They won't, we won't. Perfect opportunity too, makes me sick.

That's how I feel. The sad thing is I think the R side proposed something similar the last time the Saudis didn't play nice, but I could be wrong.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I was responding specifically to your article which quoted sources from Big Oil. My response had zero to do with leases, how hard or easy it is to find or make a profit from leases. It had everything to do with trusting a source who represents an interested party. Much like not trusting a source from the Tabaco industry on how little real proof there is that smoking causes cancer. Or Big Pharma and how huge prices in the USA (and not the rest of the world) are needed otherwise research into new cures will stop. Much like I wouldn't trust a Democrat to tell me how well Biden's administration is doing, or Fox for that matter. I also pointed out that petroleum is a finite resource. Preparing for the day the country doesn't run any gas powered vehicles is inevitable.

It seems to me that OPEC just screwed the US and many other countries in the world. Maybe Biden could be more Big Oil friendly and that might - in the short term - lower gas prices a bit. But the majority influencer here is OPEC - blaming Biden for the small amount of difference he might make seems misplaced. But I'll freely admit to not being any kind of expert.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/07/22 08:40 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's great for trying to present something I never said. I said and gave proof that they do geological surveys and other tests to make sure the land has a high probability of producing oil or natural gas that make it worthy of drilling. That they have steps they follow well before they take out a lease and don't just throw darts at a map.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
only thing i hate about gas prices is the gas stations themselves. need more digital payment pumps. i dunno who picked their nose then started touching the screen before pumping the gas.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
They're generally not fans of improving electrical technology.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This is the full length of the article I posted earlier. It was late last night and I was posting from my phone.

Oil Dispute Prompts Call to Remove US Troops from Saudi Arabia, UAE

A trio of Democratic lawmakers wants to pull all U.S. troops out of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates after an alliance of oil-producing countries announced it was slashing production, a move which is expected to drive up U.S. gas prices.

Democratic Reps. Tom Malinowski of New Jersey, a former State Department official in the Obama administration; Sean Casten of Illinois; and Susan Wild of Pennsylvania announced Wednesday night they were introducing a bill to remove all U.S. forces and military equipment from the two oil-rich nations.

"Saudi Arabia and the UAE's drastic cut in oil production, despite President Biden's overtures to both countries in recent months, is a hostile act against the United States and a clear signal that they have chosen to side with Russia in its war against Ukraine," the lawmakers said in a statement.

"Both countries have long relied on an American military presence in the Gulf to protect their security and oil fields. We see no reason why American troops and contractors should continue to provide this service to countries that are actively working against us," they added. "If Saudi Arabia and the UAE want to help [Russian President Vladimir] Putin, they should look to him for their defense."

The United States has about 3,000 troops in Saudi Arabia and 2,000 in the UAE, numbers that have been boosted in recent years to help protect those countries from missile strikes by Iran-backed rebels in Yemen. The U.S. military presence also includes Patriot and Terminal High Altitude Area Defense missile defense systems.

On Wednesday, OPEC+, which includes the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and some other aligned oil-producing nations including Russia, announced it would reduce oil production by 2 million barrels a day. Saudi Arabia is considered the de facto leader of the organization.

Gas prices in the United States have been on the decline after peaking at an average of more than $5 per gallon over the summer, a spike attributed in part to sanctions on Russian oil levied in response to its invasion of Ukraine. The OPEC decision has raised fears in the United States that gas prices will tick up again, with GasBuddy analyst Patrick De Haan predicting a roughly 15 to 30 cent per gallon increase.

The bill from the House Democrats, dubbed the "Strained Partnership Act," would require removing all U.S. forces and equipment from Saudi Arabia and the UAE within 90 days of its passage. The missile defense systems would be relocated to elsewhere in the Middle East "with the priority mission of protecting United States Armed Forces," according to the bill text.

"It is time for the United States to resume acting like the superpower in our relationship with our client states in the Gulf," the three lawmakers said in their statement. "They have made a choice and should live with the consequences. Our troops and military equipment are needed elsewhere."

Their bill is similar to one Senate Republicans introduced in 2020 when the Trump administration was trying to pressure Saudi Arabia over oil production.

OPEC decision to cut production came after President Joe Biden -- who during his presidential campaign vowed to turn Saudi Arabia into a "pariah" over its killing of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi -- sought to mend ties in an effort to convince the kingdom to boost oil production to offset the effects of the war in Ukraine. He took a trip to Riyadh in July that included a fist bump with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

"Many argued that we had to 'repair' our relationship with our Gulf partners to win their cooperation in stabilizing global energy markets following Russia's invasion, and President Biden made every effort to do so, going so far as to meet the Saudi Crown Prince personally in Riyadh, despite his role in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi," Malinowski, Casten and Wild said in their statement. "Saudi Arabia and the UAE have now answered our overtures with a slap in the face that will hurt American consumers and undermine our national interests."

In addition to the House bill, several Senate Democrats have also called for a reevaluation of U.S.-Saudi ties in the wake of the OPEC move, including the chamber's No. 2 Democrat, Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, saying it's "time for our foreign policy to imagine a world without their alliance."

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
They're generally not fans of improving electrical technology.
wish they were. make a lot of money doing so.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: dawglover05
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the idea sounds great on the surface. But in essence it will create a void in Saudi Arabia and the UAE's ability to protect their oil fields. If the language they were using fully accounted for who might fill that void were accurate that would be fine. But it could just as easily be China that offers to protect those oil fields. I didn't like the idea of Trump's attempt to threaten such a measure to get them to cut oil production during Covid and I don't like this any better.

I understand the logic but they aren't considering all of the possible consequences.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So, I've actually started thinking it through a little bit, and here's the thing. We originally went into SA to guard the fields against more aggressive countries in the area, Iraq being one of them. That's not really a threat anymore, state-wise at least. The biggest threat to their influence in the region military are Iran, and the Iranian backed rebels in the Arabian Peninsula.

It's a touchy situation for both China and Russia to fill that void. Both are trying to maintain a stance of neutrality in the region, because SA and Iran are at enormous odds with each other. If China or Russia (who is even less likely to do anything now with their current situation) threw their lot in with SA, they would alienate their relationship with Iran, which is no bueno for them. Iran is also supplying weaponry to Russia against Ukraine right now (never thought I'd say that before), so that's even another reason why they can't rely on the Russians.

I think we have more leverage than we think. What this all reeks of is MBS playing in the background. He's still PO'd that we called him out for the Khashoggi disaster. He really botched that up. He also has shown the signs of being another sociopathic leader, with a spoiled upbringing, who has a propensity to come unhinged when his feelings get hurt. I think his bust will be in the hall of ruthless 21st century dictators when all comes to pass, after his father kicks the bucket. I really do think we need to start divorcing ourselves from them starting now.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Swish
only thing i hate about gas prices is the gas stations themselves. need more digital payment pumps. i dunno who picked their nose then started touching the screen before pumping the gas.

I never put them there. I smear them on the pump handle.

I hope you know I am kidding, but am trying to point out the handle is probably you biggest point of worry. That is why I keep hand sanitizer in one of the cup holders and reach for it before I re-enter the car.

I knew a guy who said he got drunk and took a whiz in the hotel in room coffee maker. I am pretty sure he was kidding, but it got me thinking and have never used on since...I thought of this as I am sitting in my hotel room and looking at a coffee maker at the end of the desk.

Not to hijack things, and I don't think this person was kidding...in days past the ice machine was just a bin and you scooped the ice in to your bucket. He said after a bit of melting he found a toenail in the ice.

After that I started drinking my bourbon neat when in the room.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: Swish, dawglover05
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
It sure would have been nice to have our pipelines open. Too bad they were shut down. This Pres. owns the gas prices. Plain and simple. Even when it lowered it was still about $2 a gallon more than before he took office.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

The administration has done everything it could to slow down or shut down our own oil production, so it is what it is.

you simply don't have a clue.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't discount what you're saying because I realize that Chins wishes to stay neutral. But if they could work out a deal that would give them leverage with Saudi Arabia and their oil market I think they would consider the risk worth the reward. Much as yourself I don't really think Russia would be an actual part of the equation.

I also think that the resistance to EV's and hybrid vehicles puts us in a situation where we have no choice to be dependent on places like Saudi arabia. As much as people carry on about drilling here in the U.S., we can't drill our way out of this. The only long term way to get out of this mess is alternative fuel sources.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot
It sure would have been nice to have our pipelines open. Too bad they were shut down. This Pres. owns the gas prices. Plain and simple. Even when it lowered it was still about $2 a gallon more than before he took office.

The administration has done everything it could to slow down or shut down our own oil production, so it is what it is.

Sorry man, I like you but you are maybe the most clueless person on the board. At least for those who don't have some sort of mental disability, and we have at least 1 of those people.

You are almost always a dollar short and a day late.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well obviously he's a communist, right?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Damanshot

Sorry man, I like you but you are maybe the most clueless person on the board. At least for those who don't have some sort of mental disability, and we have at least 1 of those people.

You are almost always a dollar short and a day late.

I'm honestly a bit shocked and disappointed at this post. Not cool and not Peen like at all.

Regards the pipeline, can you remind me how much of the supply was going to be destined for the US market ?
That's ignoring any environmental issues which would be a separate discussion.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
I'm honestly a bit shocked and disappointed at this post. Not cool and not Peen like at all.

LMAO. You're shocked and disappointed at his post? Do you ever read any of Daman's? You crack me up bro.
rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
You have to consider the source. GOPerism is like a slow-moving brain rot. Some brains are too far gone to be salvaged. Peen is one of those.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/09/22 01:03 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M

LMAO. You're shocked and disappointed at his post? Do you ever read any of Daman's? You crack me up bro.
rofl
But from your own post it means you believe we should have the same expectations from poats by Peen and Daman .... Is that the case ?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Daman is always late. That's just a fact.

But, to the thread, diesel here is $5.69 a gallon. You know, the fuel that gets product to the stores. Gas jumped 50 cents also.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I want to thank the illigitamate regime of Biden/Open Chinese agents for destroying our economy. Not because they are bad, but because they get up every morning to figure out how to destroy the middle class.

They do that perfectly!!!

A++++++++++

Legend
Legend

rofl
But from your own post it means you believe we should have the same expectations from poats by Peen and Daman .... Is that the case ?

NO!

You should let one's non-stop verbal-vomit go unchecked... in fact, join in and promote it. THEN -- the other's? Fake your outrage bro... 👏

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Imma just call you Vers ... 🤣 Coz now your dinging me for not responding to the posts you want me to !!

I like and respect Peen .... I don't think he's the sort to throw in jibes about mental acuity no matter what. But that's just me. I honestly except Peen to agree.

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://news.yahoo.com/biden-says-action-us-gasoline-194206426.html

Biden Says New Action on US Gasoline Prices Coming Next Week
Akayla Gardner and Jordan Fabian
Thu, October 13, 2022 at 3:42 PM·2 min read

(Bloomberg) -- President Joe Biden again criticized high US gasoline prices and said he’d announce new actions next week to combat what he described as a key driver of inflation.

“The price of gas is still too high and we need to keep working to bring it down,” Biden said at an event in Los Angeles. “I’ll have more to say about that next week,” he added, without elaboration.

White House officials declined to comment on what steps Biden might take.

Top White House officials previously have said Biden is considering further releases from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in the aftermath of the OPEC+ alliance’s decision last week to cut production targets by 2 million barrels a day. The announcement has outraged the White House and Democrats, who face midterm elections next month that will hinge heavily on voters’ views of the economy, inflation and gas prices.

The president vowed “consequences” for Saudi Arabia over the OPEC+ move in a CNN interview earlier this week. He said the administration is reviewing its options, but declined to specify what options are under consideration or how long the process will take.

Senior Biden administration officials have also floated the possibility of imposing export limits in an effort to shore up fuel stocks and bring relief to consumers. But such a move could backfire, according to economists and energy experts, and lead to higher prices in New England and on the West Coast.

Biden spoke Thursday after a fresh government report that showed stubbornly high inflation. The core consumer price index, excluding more volatile food and energy prices, reached a 40-year high of 6.6% in September, compared to a year ago.

“We also need to make more progress bringing down the prices across the board,” Biden said as he visited the site of a subway line under construction in the city.

Nationally, the average price of a gallon of gas on Wednesday was $3.91, according to the motor club AAA. That’s up about 4 cents from last week. But in California, filling a car’s tank costs more than $6 a gallon.

Last edited by superbowldogg; 10/15/22 11:42 AM.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Get ready for higher gas prices | OPEC+ makes big oil cut to boost prices

Link Copied to Clipboard