Next Thread
Print Thread
#1981818 10/25/22 08:19 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I haven't been posting on the Post Game thread the last couple of weeks due to how bad it's gotten. The constant griping, negativity, and agenda pushing is beyond old. I saw recent post from jfan about how tab's What I Saw thread was his favorite because it was more about football and less about emotion. That isn't exactly what he said, but something like that. I also read Clem's post on the Post Game thread that addressed all the negativity.

We all know that tab is having health issues. I don't want to steal his thread, but I thought I would post this thread where we could just discuss what happened during the game. No fire this guy or that guy. No personality clashes. Just football observations from those of us who like to talk football. I think there is room for both the emotional/agenda posts and real football talk in the same forum. I'll start and I hope some of you who like to talk football will respond.

While the game was agonizing at times, I also found it enjoyable. This was a battle of two desperate teams who have been facing a lot of scrutiny from their fans. Baltimore has also faced it from the national media because they have blown 3 double digit leads and Lamar has struggled the last couple of weeks after a torrid start. I thought both teams played hard and neither gave up. The Ravens fought back after we took an early lead. I thought the Browns effort was outstanding even after they fell behind by double digits. There were a couple of questionable calls that perhaps influenced the game, but in the end it was a hard-fought game that wasn't decided until the very end.

Some observations:

Offense:

--JB had a nice game. He still holds the ball a beat too long on deep passes and he probably was responsible for a couple of the sacks. However, he was 22 of 27 for 258 yards. No TDs, no interceptions, and one fumble that was not his fault. He also eluded the pass rush and made some positive plays more than a couple of times.

--Chubb had a nice game against another stacked box. Chubb ran hard and his will on the TD run was nice to see.

--Njoku was having a very nice game and unfortunately had to leave due to injury.

--Cooper and DPJ played well. Cooper probably did not need to push off on what would have been a sure TD. That's tough, but he made some very nice catches. DPJ is getting better and better. I think he has earned a role on this team as either a #2 or # 3 WR.

--The OL had an up and down day. They had some very good plays. However, they weren't their usual self in terms of not allowing penetration. There were a couple of running plays where Queen just shot through the gap and threw Hunt for losses. They also allowed too much penetration on some of the passing plays. I would not say they were bad, though. They did open holes for Chubb and gave JB time to throw much of the time. I do think we missed Teller quite a bit. Froholdt seems to be pretty good at run blocking, but is a liability as a pass blocker. It's too early to put that label on him, though. Just my observation from this game.

Defense:

--Everyone knows this, but once again our DTs are a huge liability. I can't tell you how many times I saw them get turned sideways and contained by a single blocker. It's the biggest reason why we continue to get gashed by the run.

--I think Myles had his usual good game. Wright and Thomas flashed at times. Neither are particularly strong against the run in terms of being strong enough to ward off blockers, but both guys got penetration at times and made some plays. Clowney had a couple of good plays, but I was expecting more.

--JOK also flashed on some plays. He forced that fumble and slashed in to make some tackles. However, he isn't stoudt against the run and he struggles at times to bring guys to the ground.

--D. Jones played primarily on passing downs. Phillips played more on first and second down. The latter is done for the season. Jones should be an upgrade. I noticed Jones a couple of times for his play recognition. We need more of that.

--The secondary as a whole did a nice job. The corners played well. Delpit tries hard, but he is so bad in coverage. It takes him so long to recognize the play. He is good at slicing in and making plays against the run, but I don't think he will ever be a guy who is good against the pass. JJ was late to provide deep help. He did make a couple of plays, but his play doesn't back up his mouth.

Special Teams:

--Once again, this unit was bad. DPJ is better than Felton as a punt returner, but I think he should have let that second punt attempt go instead of chasing it down. We were pinned deep and that led to the two plays by Queen that stifled Hunt. Turning point.

--We also returned one kick off that should have never been run out. We got a holding call on the play and once again, poor field position cost us.

Coaching:

Stefanski: Good game plan that took advantage of Baltimore's strategy on D. I thought clock management was good. I thought 4th down decisions were good. I would have probably run Chubb more in the second half than he did.

Woods: No real complaints in regards to scheme and calls. I also think they did a great job on Lamar. He was just 9 of 16 for 120 yds. Only 59 on the ground. We also sacked him a few times and pressured him into throw-aways.

Priefer: We had at least two kicks sail over DPJ's head where he had to chase them down. I'd blame the coach for that. Their punter has a big leg. Should have moved DPJ back, especially after the first one. It's easier to run forward than chase down a ball over your head. Also, I immediately questioned the decision to move the ball up a half yard on the last FG attempt. It screamed of a possible block.

Officiating:

I typically do not talk about the officials and I probably won't do so much moving forward. I will just say that the PI calls and non-calls didn't quite seem the same. We get flagged for getting handsy. Baltimore didn't. Some qbs get a flag thrown if the defender gets close enough to him and has bad breath. We didn't get the call. The call on Dunn was .....put it this way.......how many times have you ever seen that call in all your years of watching football?

Anyway...........I'm hoping that those who just want to complain about the team will keep that out of this thread and in the Post Game threads. I hope we can actually discuss the actual game in this thread. I look forward to reading your football takes from this specific game.

3 members like this: GratefulDawg, ScottPlayersFacemask, DeisleDawg
Legend
Legend
The good from what I can recall:

- Njoku (as I’ve said other places) has been one of the brightest spots for us. Bummer he’s out.
- Brissett was pretty solid for most of the day. He holds the ball a bit too long for my liking, especially when his first read isn’t there.
- DPJ … another bright spot. He makes nice contested catches.
- Our defense played its best game probably. Lamar was bottled up, Andrews had ZERO catches, and we had some nice 3 and outs.

The bad from what I can recall:

- Our special teams suck. No other way around it. Bad penalties, bad decisions to return kickoffs, poor coverage. And our FG team cost us.
- DT and S remain a glaring need. We probably have the worst units in the NFL.
- For about the 7th straight week we have defensive breakdowns at terrible times. Miscommunication and/or effort seems to be an ongoing theme.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

PFF grades for the Browns defensive players vs the Ravens.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...browns-defense-graded-vs-the-ravens.html

PFF grades for the Browns offensive players vs the Ravens.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...browns-offense-graded-vs-the-ravens.html

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
The PI on Coop & the False Start on the snap

The only time you will ever see those called in those situations is when it is called on the Browns & no other team in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
How many times did we have to watch Antonio Brown push off against us that exact same way with no call lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
How about that challenge they did when they thought Lamar's knee was down? The punt that balt had before they stopped the play wasn't horrible, but after they confirmed the call he went on to really boom the punt.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Thanks for posting this. I’m going to take some thoughts I made on the Post Game thread and put them here. They got lost in all the hysterics in that thread. And I agree with you about moving the PR back a little after their guy boomer the first one).

Some thoughts on the game:

1. We played tough against a good team at their house.
2. Chubb ran hard and with toughness. The usual.
3. Brissett stood in under heavy pressure like a champ, but took too many sacks. Our OL struggled with handling their blitzes.
4. Defence was better than it’s looked in awhile.
5. The refs missed a couple that should have went our way (like the non-call on the hit to JB’s helmet, but they didn’t steal the game from us.
6. NJoku was having another greater game before getting dinged.
7. On to Cincinnati. Next week is a MUST-WIN.

8. Priefer needs to be replaced. We totally blew it on punt coverage to give them 50 yards.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawg1979
How about that challenge they did when they thought Lamar's knee was down? The punt that balt had before they stopped the play wasn't horrible, but after they confirmed the call he went on to really boom the punt.
That was coach trusting the eyes from upstairs. I cringed as soon as the flag came out. They're punting. All you have to gain is 12 yards... you better be damned sure. When that crap happens, karma always reminds you you're Brown lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That was a nice recap great effort

I can't add much to that, it's Tuesday evening and my memory fades as fast as the sun.

I do recall the two or three hit on Brisset after he had thrown the ball that was overlooked

Moving the ball a yard forward to make a 61 yd punt a 60 still has me

Mad !

I would have to re-watch the game to put better input in my post.

And that actually is annoying me to think about that ! lol

Good football thread ! Appreciate it !!

Good posts by the members who added to this !

On Defense I still think Wright, Winfrey and Thomas as rookies added some good play

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
I'm enjoying this thread.
The game wasn't carried in my market. 3-4 times/year, they screw me with DET coverage.
This was screw job #1 for this season.

I've seen highlights, but that doesn't give me a feel for the game. Threads like these help.

thnx, Dawgs

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Our defense gave up a total of 256 yards of offense. 160 on the ground (59 to Jackson on 10 carries) which seemed like a lot more to me.

I was impressed with Brissett and the way he handled the pressure. His deep balls were surprisingly accurate.

Chubb only got 16 carries but that is because we were down. Early in the fourth quarter he was really running well.

Njoku continues to impress me. It’s amazing what happens when you get targets. Hoping Bell will get a few more.

Hunt had only 5 Carries for 6 yards. That wasn’t his fault since he got blown up in the backfield by Queen on two of those carries

The defense really contained Andrews. He was only targeted twice, not catching either ball.

Overall I was ok with the way we played. The penalties kill us but other than that we did okay. If Cooper doesn’t push off we have the lead with two minutes to go. I would like to see more Togiai and less Elliot.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns beat themselves. It's the common in every loss
This year. They are last in the North for a reason

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'd like to expound on the blocked FG attempt. I immediately did not like moving the ball up a half of a yard. Think about it. A lot of blocked kicks occur when the kicker is attempting a longer attempt. The reason for that is because the flight of the ball starts off at a lower trajectory than on a normal kick because it has to travel a greater distance. Knowing that, why would a coach have the kicker move closer to the guys at the LOS who are doing everything they can to block that kick? It's just my opinion, but I think that was a poor decision.

Legend
Legend
I thought it was dumb as well. He has plenty of leg to make that kick.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is a pretty good recap of the Browns/Ravens game using the all-22. I will also post a link to the article for those of you who don't do Twitter.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Ravens 23 Browns @ Ravens Game Recap

Link Copied to Clipboard