Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
..... I do think JJ played w/quite a bit of fire last night....

Zegura mentioned today that JJ III wore the green dot for the first time all season last night and that players were commenting how much better the communication was throughout the game and how JJ III was very clear in explaining all the details.

Glad it took us til week 8 to figure that out.

Didn't we literally go through this exact thing last year before giving the green dot to JJ3?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I am more worried about our "Cornerstone" players than the lack of talent at other positions - LT, CB, DE QB. The old saying that you can't have all-Pros at every position thang.

We have a LT who is uninspiring at best. He looks lazy and inconsistent on the field...I'd add disinterested. At best, he's out of position. Team has a big $$$ decision on taking his 5th yr. He is at a Cornerstone position without being a cornerstone player. With no 1st Rd picks for two more drafts we are likely stuck with the guy. If Callahan can't get it out of him, who can?

At CB we have a hundred-million-dollar man of glass. Small...not close to being tough and being paid like one of the best CBs in the league. We are S-T-U-C-K with his contract and his play for at least two more years before we have a cap-chance-in-hell of moving him.

At DE we have the most physically-gifted and yet overrated player in Browns history. He's the "face" of the franchise...yet for every Bengals game we get a few Dolphins games...he's the Browns poster-child for inconsistency when it comes to effectiveness...while being so predictable that the sunrise is his only comparison. Like Ward, we are S-T-U-C-K with him and his contract for years.

At QB we will soon have the most-controversial QB in Browns history - and that is saying one hell of a lot. It will have been 100 weeks since he took a real snap in an NFL game. He will make $230,000,000 over 5 years no matter how he plays or holds up physically...or mentally...let alone behaviorally. The last season he played he went 4-12 on a bad, dysfunctional football team. The pressure and scrutiny will be immense. Hopefully he will be a great player for us.

We don't have the draft capital to fix these spots ^ and the salary cap capital needs to find (2) DTs, (2) LBs, (2) S's. Here are the 2023 draft picks:

Round 2
Round 3 - It is unknown if this pick will be their default draft pick or a compensatory selection.
Round 4
Round 4 - via Minnesota Vikings
Round 5
Round 5 - via Los Angeles Rams
Round 6
Round 7

Free agent starters include:

Clowney
TakTaki
Bryan
Pocic
Conklin

Throw in these guys:

Hunt
D Johnson
Greedy
AJ Green (ERFA)
Dunn (RFA)

I'll leave out these guys, but Berry will probably sign them anyway:

A Walker
Hubbard
D Jones

The ship is rudder-less at all levels but for OL Coach & RB coach. What do you build this team around? Offensively...QB (we hope), RG, LG, (1) WR, TE, C (if we sign him) and ??? defensively. This team and it's leadership are as broken as are my orange-tinted sun glasses.

Legend
Legend
wills simply isn’t good enough IMO (at least in a consistent manner)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
How many players away are the Browns from being contenders?

3 ...

Randy Moss, Lawrence Taylor, and Reggie White.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
That was funny.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Sorry Willie. The only part of your take I agree with is on Hospital Ward. Not only is he frail. He is a me player and not a team player. Delpits fault or not, you don't point fingers at some other player to the press. It's not like talking to the police about knowing something about a murder. It was a punk move.

DE and QB, i don't have anything to say to you on that.

As for Wills, he is good enough and far from something to moan about.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Wake me IF
IFFFFFF Deshaun Watson starts his forty first game for the Cleveland Browns ... in HIs Lifetime IFFFF it ever happens, because I doubt it happens.

2020 showed you that getting all the playerz you would want doesn't guarantee winning.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Dave
How many players away are the Browns from being contenders?

3 ...

Randy Moss, Lawrence Taylor, and Reggie White.
Can you imagine how bad Andrew Berry, and or whomever in the Browns organization would have messed up those players' careers? If they had had the chance. WHEW.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
They should have DW playing as well as Baker by the middle of next season. Take that any way you want, but this coaching staff does not impress me at all. Well, except for Bill Callahan.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/16/22 11:25 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Zero, or infinity. Two sides of the same coin really.

Call me when we get a new owner and then we'll talk "contender".

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
I’m beginning to think we’ll be looking for new OTs (at least one) this offseason. Unless we think Hudson can hold down a position and Hubbard is healthy (that never seems to be true)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’m beginning to think we’ll be looking for new OTs (at least one) this offseason. Unless we think Hudson can hold down a position and Hubbard is healthy (that never seems to be true)

Hubbard will be 32 and is a free agent after this season just like Conklin. Hudson has 2-years left on his deal and will only be 24 next season. Unless things change, replacing Conklin with either of these guys would be a downgrade at the position. Wills has yet to have a season with a PFF Grade above 70.0. The Browns must decide by May whether they are going to exercise the 5th year option on Wills for 2024 guaranteeing his salary of close to 20M. That's a whole lot of money for an OT who consistently PFF Ranks in the bottom 40% of the league. A side note, Center Nick Harris, age 25, will be back from his serious knee injury for the final year on his deal and replacement center Pocic, age 28, will be a free agent after this season. Being 25M over the 2023 cap already, will the OL be one of the areas that takes the hit on the cap adjustment? The OL could look much different in 2023.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend

1. Otto Graham
2. Jim Brown
3. Marion Motley
5. Joe Thomas
6. Ozzie Newsome
7. Paul Warfield
8. Clay Mathews
9. Jerry Sherk
10. Michael Dean Perry
11. Frank Minnifield
12. Hanford Dixon
13. Phil Dawson
14. Josh Cribbs
15 Bill Willis
16 Len Ford

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Lost in all the moaning and doomsday of fans is this.

Baker could have been playing quarterback possibly under a new contract.

Russell Wilson decided he didn't want to play in Cleveland.

Aaron Rodgers decided to stay in Green Bay.

Emerson, York, Pocic, Njoku, Hudson, Alex Wright, Isaiah Thomas are players that look like keepers.

Delpit is beginning to play better.

If the Browns had not made the trade for Watson. The ability to compete and win would be nothing more than a dream.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
If the Browns had not made the trade for Watson. The ability to compete and win would be nothing more than a dream.

And until you actually see it happen, it still is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
True enough.

However, without the trade we would be in the quarterback line of the draft.

Or, looking at castoffs.

Instead of having chance. We be in wonderland. Wondering when and where to find a quarterback.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're right. When it comes to this FO using a top 10 pick on a QB in the draft the Browns would have no chance.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
As proven many times over.

First round draft picks are not guaranteed.

They don't go into the NFL certified for success.

Even if they have success it may take years.

Trevor Lawrence was a first pick in the draft. He went to the worst team.

He was hyped to be a generational talent. He maybe.

And it may take five years.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nothing is guaranteed. Including signing watson. Are the odds better? Probably. And using an example of a good QB being drafted by bad team doesn't really apply does it? Unless of course you believe with our current roster the Browns are a bad team? I actually think Stefanski has the ability to get the best out of his QB's and the Browns have a pretty good roster on O.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
It's truly baffling in a league that is built upon parody and franchises
Being able to from pretender to contender , the Browns best
Showing is a 2nd RD playoff loss 2 years ago.
That's the best showing since 1999. Unprecedented in any sports league
The Browns Panthers and Jags and Texans are the poster children
For ineptitude. Yet you go media Homer's like Mary Kay Cabot
Trick themselves Into think " this year is the year"

Legend
Legend
Watson is a proven dual threat pro bowl quarterback in his prime.

He is not an experimental draft pick.

Yes it does apply. We had the first pick and it took four years to find out.

Baker played well for us at times. And I thanked him for his effort and what he did accomplish.

It was decided he was not the guy to reach the goal. The decision was correct.

As I pointed out. Without getting Watson. The Browns would be in search mode. We have been in that mode for over 20 years.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think the Browns are that many players away. Talent gaps aren't that big in the NFL. It's all about having the right FO, head coach, and quarterback. If you have those three ingredients you have a shot. They will elevate the rest of the talent.

We have one of the three, QB. We have a maybe on GM. We need a head coach.

This is why the Browns have five players in the top 100 and are 3-6. The most important positions are unsettled.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Watson is a proven dual threat pro bowl quarterback in his prime.

He is not an experimental draft pick.

Yes it does apply. We had the first pick and it took four years to find out.

Baker played well for us at times. And I thanked him for his effort and what he did accomplish.

It was decided he was not the guy to reach the goal. The decision was correct.

As I pointed out. Without getting Watson. The Browns would be in search mode. We have been in that mode for over 20 years.

Moving on from Baker might well be the correct team decision - most especially based on 2022 performances.

Trading for Watson at this point has an uncertain outcome. Because a move on from Baker was the right move, doesn't automatically mean Watson is the right move. We gave up enough draft capital to acquire him that we could move up for 'just about' any rookie QB over the following 2 years or in last years draft if there had been a viable target. Watson hasn't played for 2 years. This year might be a wash - but it's still a pretty big ask for any athlete to miss 2 years of playing, step back and then be at the same elite level he was at before his absence. Putting aside his sexual predatory activities - we all want the Browns to win and DW to be the answer at QB ... but there is uncertainty if that is in fact the case. this time next year we should be a long way to having the answer.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And could very well be in that mode for years to come. Watson hasn't played a down in 2-years, so we don't know what we have. We have a HC whose teams have regressed every year since he's been here. We have a defense with way more questions than answers and an o-line that will certainly look different in 2023. We also have the worst receiving group that Watson has every played with as a pro QB. Add in too those facts that Watson has a career record of only 28-25 even with making the playoffs 2 of the 4 years he has played, and uncertainty raises its big ugly head. If you don't believe roster changes or uncertainty matters, you need look no further than what's happening to Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Carr, and Stafford this year alone. Top play at QB does not overcome weakness and uncertainty at the other positions. To rebuttal the Berry effect, how'd he do with the defensive upgrade for this year? I know many here don't like Haslam but if it was my team, I'd be pissed the direction this team has taken the last 2-years.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Decent points have been made by the last 2 posters, but I have an observation about our current team. If we had a couple of good DTs along with the ones, we currently have for rotation purposes I honestly feel our record would be reversed even with all the other personnel we have right now. Even our secondary and JB. Thoughts? JMO

Legend
Legend
I understand your viewpoint.

Until Watson plays the rust question will be there.

However, this is my viewpoint. Getting a proven young quarterback of the talent level of Watson is damn near impossible. It was only because of the circumstances that it happened.

Moving up in the draft requires giving up picks. Drafting a quarterback guarantees nothing and can take years to find out either way.

The Browns are not rebuilding. There is significant talent on the team now. This year is gone. Next year rust will not be a factor.

Nothing is guaranteed but I will take my chances with Watson. IMO he is a much lower risk than finding a draft pick and waiting for him to be ready if he ever will be.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed Bone. The team needs a little re-tooling not a rebuild but the right moves have to be made and we can't afford to swing and miss on the personnel upgrades.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
It's truly baffling in a league that is built upon parody and franchises
Being able to from pretender to contender , the Browns best
Showing is a 2nd RD playoff loss 2 years ago.
That's the best showing since 1999. Unprecedented in any sports league
The Browns Panthers and Jags and Texans are the poster children
For ineptitude. Yet you go media Homer's like Mary Kay Cabot
Trick themselves Into think " this year is the year"

Uhhhh, the Panthers started play in 1995. Since that start date, the Panthers have been to the playoffs 8 times in 27 years or 30% of their seasons and 2 Super Bowls (2003, 2015). I think it's just wishful thinking to try to bunch the Browns in the same category as the Panthers the last 23 years. We can only dream of having the success the Panthers have had.

Legend
Legend
The reason that every team that did not have a franchise quarterback expressed interest or submitted a bid for Watson was because of his talent.

After this season rust should not be a factor.

KS improved the team record from six wins to the playoffs. And then won a playoff game on the road; on the way to winning head coach of the year.

The offense looking different does not equal being worse. In fact Holmes is ready and Pocic is a top ranked center and Harris will return.

There are questions on defense. Every team has questions. The defense has talent but is missing some key position players specifically at DT.
The DC and DT can be addressed.

It does require a complete team to win it all. However, when you have a top rated quarterback. You have a much better chance. Brady, Rodgers, Wilson and Stafford have all won Super Bowls.

Receivers? In 2020 the last season Watson played with the Texans their receivers were: Brandon Cooks, Will Fuller with Pharaoh Brown and Darren Fells at TE. I will take our receivers and TE's this year over the 2020 Texans.

Next year we may add more.

Steve maybe every once in awhile just try looking at a half full glass.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The reason that every team that did not have a franchise quarterback expressed interest or submitted a bid for Watson was because of his talent.

After this season rust should not be a factor.

KS improved the team record from six wins to the playoffs. And then won a playoff game on the road; on the way to winning head coach of the year.

The offense looking different does not equal being worse. In fact Holmes is ready and Pocic is a top ranked center and Harris will return.

There are questions on defense. Every team has questions. The defense has talent but is missing some key position players specifically at DT.
The DC and DT can be addressed.

It does require a complete team to win it all. However, when you have a top rated quarterback. You have a much better chance. Brady, Rodgers, Wilson and Stafford have all won Super Bowls.

Receivers? In 2020 the last season Watson played with the Texans their receivers were: Brandon Cooks, Will Fuller with Pharaoh Brown and Darren Fells at TE. I will take our receivers and TE's this year over the 2020 Texans.

Next year we may add more.

Steve maybe every once in awhile just try looking at a half full glass.

Duh, I do look at it half full - we have Garrett, Chubb, the best guards in football and surprisingly a topflight center. We have a former Pro Bowl QB under contract who's a sexual predator but that's a different issue. We have the best DE in football and some positive looks from some young CB's. That's half full in anyone's book. However, that half full glass is also half empty and that's ignored more often than not in this forum. Add to that fact that the HC has regressed every year and has a better chance than not of sporting a 3-year losing record at season's end. You don't make it to the Super Bowl with a half full glass and you sure don't make it to a Super Bowl with a HC that has gotten worse every year while the roster has been improved or by making excuses for his fall in wins. Hoping that the part of the glass that needs filled will be all Watson is a just an unrealistic dream to fill that glass, but QB is far from the only issue. The Browns are not winning and have regressed every year that Stefanski's has been here. Once people realize that there's many more issues, the Browns might have a chance, but they certainly need better decisions from the FO than they have been getting. Half full - you bet - near to full - not a chance!

Legend
Legend
Come on man. It is only half full when I point it out to you.

At this point going back to the sexual predator comment is unnecessary.

Regressed every year is inaccurate. He improved the record his first year. This year is incomplete. 2021 and we were in it till near the end. We played with an injured quarterback and then his backup. Two receivers Odell and Jarvis hardly played. I would like to see any team succeed with that level of play at quarterback in 2021. Add on to that that their top two receivers doing next to nothing or not playing at all. Go check Baker's PFF grade. A teams record does not always reflect the job of the head coach. You mentioned the great quarterbacks and their teams record this year. Does that mean their head coaches failed and should be fired? You want to blame Stefanski. Because when it comes to any other teams performance you point the error in other directions but not their coach. I don't see you saying Sean McVay should be fired. So again as usual you try hard to paint everything black. So please don't pretend to play a half full glass.

I did not say Watson would fill the glass. Go back and read again. I made it clear the defensive changes necessary.

Your assessment of the team is your own. We disagree. Fine.

Leave it at that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bone, you only read into things that you want to believe. You say the Browns were in it last year - did they have a winning record? I am shocked that you would even attempt to use injuries as an excuse for Stefanski's record last year while in the same voice attempt to hold an injured QB that the HC should have benched due to his play and injuries totally responsible for 2021. No acceptable excuse for the player and a bucket full of excuses for the coach. The coaches mentioned are suffering just this year. If that continues into and through next year of course I'd expect them to be on the hot seat. This is not year 1 for Stefanski. He's went from 11 wins in '20 to 8 wins in '21 to about 5 to 6 wins in '22. That's not painting anything "black," those are facts that cannot be denied. Likewise, your assessment of the team is your own. We do disagree and that's fine with me too.

Legend
Legend
Ok sure no impact.

Baker at quarterback and no receivers. You look at things in a vacuum.

Check the records of teams playing backup quarterbacks or having one play with the stats Baker had last year.

Belichick went from 12-4 in 2019 to 7-9 in 2020. Time to get rid of him.

Quarterback play has nothing to do with a teams record. Got it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If you pay enough money and give away your largest future assets to boot, you can buy anything. At that point all you can do is pray that it pays off. That's exactly where the browns are now. And if Karma is a real thing, it won't.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Great play at the quarterback position ups your potential to win.

That is why they make the big bucks.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sure it is. Now if after two years off and all the turmoil which will only continue when he comes back, if he'll ever be the same again. Do you believe in Karma?

Let me guess. Not when it comes to the Browns, right?

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
I think Berry has done a porous job of drafting and acquiring
Players that put the team 1st. It takes more than talent
To build a contending roster. You have to bring in players
That have a willingness to prepare to win , not just the desire
To win. I don't get the feeling that are alot players on this
Roster that want to invest the extra time to get better.

When Berry was brought on, he used every cliche about building
A football team worthy of being legit contenders
" we want accountable smart players......"
Blah blah blah every new GM hire says that at the podium
It's nothing new. He should feel some heat from the owners.
He not for one second should think his job is safe.
Berry has accomplished very little as GM.
His biggest accomplishment was acquiring a QB that set a league
Precedent regarding actions and suspension.

Now Berry is banking on this guy to be the leader of a team
Where leadership has been non existent since 1999.

I think Stefanski is good Xs and Os guy. But as far as a HC goes
None of the players fear him and he is too analytical

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Watching the Bills play at the moment vs the Packers.
Looks like the Bills have really hit the bullseye on

Drafting....Gabriel Davis...Gregory Rosseau...Dawson Knox
Josh Allen..Ed Oliver

Trades Stefan Diggs

Free Agency ..Von Miller...Jordan Poyer.

How many players are the Browns away from being
Mentioned as contenders like the Bills?
The Browns disadvantage is that they have no #1s for
3 years. The Bills core players are all 1st RD picks
The thing is, next year DeShaun Watson will have
To play at level equal to Josh Allen....Watson can't
Be good, he has to be great.

The Bills are even getting big time plays from.their
Mid RD picks.

I think the Browns need to attempt to lure some scouts or
Front office assistants from a team like the Bills
To help accelerate this...cause DePodesta and his approach
Is failing

We are 2 coaches away from being contenders.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I don't think karma plays football.

Many great athletes were horrible people. Mike Tyson, Ty Cobb. The list is real long.

I wish karma would have been in play when trump got covid.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How many players away are the Browns away from being a contender?

Link Copied to Clipboard