Next Thread
Print Thread
#1986193 11/14/22 02:31 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'll ask again this week.........Can we please keep this thread about things that specific to this game only? There won't be many posts if we stick to that criteria and that is fine, because some posters don't get to see the games. Other posters just like to talk about the "football" that goes on during a game. The Post Game thread has a ton of posts about who should be fired, how bad our organization is, how the world is ending because a sports team isn't winning. So, there is a place that already exists to vent. I am not asking that the replies be positive. Just game specific.

--The defense was extremely pathetic. Everyone knows this, but it needs to be emphasized....our DTs were horrible. I saw both DTs pushed back 5-8 yards on multiple plays. That is unacceptable.

--We did a pretty good job of limiting Miam's deep passing game, but they ran it down our throats and hit a lot of underneath routes.

--Myles had no impact, even when he was blocked by only one man.

--Clowney is stealing money.

--I thought Taki played hard.

--Ward had a beautiful, athletic play where he jumped and knocked the ball away from Hill on a long pass.

--Our safeties did not provide much help in the passing game.

--We had a great first drive on offense. We actually moved the ball well most of the game. The defense kept letting the O down.

--Jacoby's stats probably were not great, but he played well. Very accurate w/most of his throws. Scrambled well. Most of his misses were during garbage time when we were playing in desperation. He can't succeed playing hero ball.

--Chubb's fumble was a killer.

--The 'Phins were intent on stopping Chubb and we did exploit their passing D quite a bit. Chubb still ran hard.

--Hunt looks like he lost a step of quickness.

--DPJ w/some nice catches and plays. One crucial drop, though. Gotta make that one on 4th down.

--We missed Njoku big time. Bryant can't block and he isn't dynamic as a receiver.

--Cooper drew a tough matchup.

--The OL struggled. Bitonio and Pocic were good. Wills, Conklin, and Froholdt were really bad. Teller must have aggravated his calf injury. I have never seen Conklin play anywhere close to that bad.

--I noticed Hudson replaced Wills at LT. Injury or performance?

--Special teams actually held up yesterday.

--I agreed w/the 4th down decisions. Even those late in the game when we had little chance of converting them. Better to go down fighting rather than punting the ball away because you care about how lopsided the score will be.

--It's been said that South Beach provides a lot of distractions. It looked like many of our defensive guys might have experienced those distractions. They were beyond awful.

Okay, I would like to hear about your thoughts about this game only. Player performances and the like.

Legend
Legend
You touched on a lot of what I’d say as well.

Our DEs were totally ineffective. Their worst day by far. And it seemed like they mailed it in.

Our Safeties stink. They can’t cover and don’t offer much other ways either.

Another area of concern for me: we don’t create as many turnovers as other teams, and that’s an ongoing problem

DPJ has been good, but he had a few headscratchers yesterday too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
A couple of notes about Miami.

--I was impressed w/Tua. He made a lot of good reads, showed very good pocket presence, and was accurate w/the football.

--100 degrees on the Browns sideline and 80 degrees on the Miami sideline. Brown tops were not a good idea.

--Miami has went all in. Brought in Hill, Armstead, Chubb, two SF RBs.

--The Dolphin DL is no joke. No winder teams can't run on them. They have some ballers along that line.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, we don't force turnovers. Zero yesterday. And you are right, we generated almost no pressure at all against Miami. It was frustrating to watch.

Legend
Legend
We rarely generate pressure from the DT spots, so when our DE can’t do it then we’re basically cooked.

I saw some clips online of our DT issues, and they aren’t pretty at all

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
In their last three games Miami had averaged giving up 148.7 yards per game rushing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
That was mostly Justin Fields in the Chicago game (178 yards).

Less than 100 yards against Pitt and Detroit games.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Hammer
That was mostly Justin Fields in the Chicago game (178 yards).

Less than 100 yards against Pitt and Detroit games.
Pit and Det are not good teams (neither are we).

A for a game recap - I think the most obvious thing I saw was a phenomenal opening drive followed by a team that was poorly coached and prepared after a bye week.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
In their last three games Miami had averaged giving up 148.7 yards per game rushing.

Those numbers are a bit skewed because of Fields scrambling. He torched them for 178 last week. The Dolphins are middle of the pack in yardage. At home they have been really good giving up 95 per game.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The offense is not the problem.

The Browns are not good enough on offense to overcome the defense from losing the game. The Dolphins punter could have stayed home.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._of_the_browns_defense/s1_16697_38121023

This is a pretty good article.

McDaniels watched our tape. His offensive game plan was clear. Attack the 0, 1 and 2 gap. Basically take it up the middle.

The DE's were nullified. The ball came out on 3 steps or the pocket moved.

The Dolphin guards got to the second level and took out the linebackers. The safety's were left to make tackles 10 yards down the field.

The Dolphin's used shifts, motion, and attacked the our midzone coverage. They used double crossing slants and pics. Tua hit them in stride for yac.

There were no bombs. They did not need them. They dismantled the defense.

Joe Woods does not know how to consistently game plan against offenses. Because the defense is one dimensional.

We have zero gap integrity inside. We are dependent on the DE's to pressure from the outside.

The tape proves it. The Chargers ran on us. And they are not a run team. The Dolphins are not a run team. We gave up 195 yards on the ground. Some guy named Wilson ran for 119 yards.

After the first series of the second half. The defense did not know what to do. I shut the tv off.

Joe Woods has had three seasons to put his vision in place. It has worked here and there. Last season we had the Maliks. Both were cast offs. This season please the worst tackles in football. Berry blew it at DT. There were players we could have gotten by with available. He wanted to play his draft picks. Hoping that they would deliver.

Elliott has not developed. Bryan the FA is below average. Togiai is not good enough. Winfrey is a head case rookie.
That is not going to stop teams from running up the middle.

We have talent at corner. JJ, I have seen enough of him. Harrison sub par. Delpit has some talent but he is not used properly.

We are not using the secondary to their strengths. The safety's are often out of position. We do not know what to play on defense. We try different types of zone coverages. We try different types of man. We try combinations of man and zone. We don't play a consistent defense that uses the players right.

The defensive game plans change but the problems remain because the base defense can not stop the run.

Legend
Legend
The one problem offensively we had was our OL … thats the first time in a long time that our OL looked like the old Browns OL. We were manhandled.

Injuries have derailed us there and our OTs played very poorly

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, that was probably the worst our OL has played all year.

One other thing I noticed was the officiating. It did not cost us the game or anything, but it was pretty bad. There were several plays where you literally could see our jerseys being pulled from behind by their OL as we tried to rush the passer. Not one of them was called. Then, we get called on a ticky-tack hold while on O. Jacoby took a hit to the helmet and no call. Their WR [#14] pushed off to our defenders facemask on the one TD catch. No call. Now, they did call a ticky tack PI on Miami on one play. But overall, the officiating was poor.

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Legend
Legend
I saw Taki in a bear hold.

But we got torched.

Going into the game I felt the defense was on trial. The game proved our defense is a mess. When you can not stop a team.
The offense is not going to save you.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Joe Woods D in a play.

3rd & 10 from the MIA 20. CLE just scored to make it 24-10, a 2 score game.
We rush our standard 4. zero pressure. Tua surveys the field and 1st down completion for 12 yards.

Against the Bengals, in similar situations we brought 5-6 or dropped linemen and brought pressure from somewhere else.
As the D goes this team goes and inconsistency is running the show.

We have seen it too many times.

And I can not believe how many holds were not called. not hand inside on the jersey, but grabbing with extended arms and straight pulling the jersey.

Miami looked good. Both lines dominated.

Legend
Legend
The Pats and the Dolphins just dismantled our semblance of a defense. Not being able to even maintain them under 10 yards a chunk most of the game

P
Legend
Legend
P
The offense has generally not been the problem. But it was one of the problems against Miami. In the NFL you can't score 17 points and expect to win against a high powered offense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Consider the limited offensive options when you are down by 14 points in the second half.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Miamis HC took a page from the Belichek book and
Brought out a gameplan opposite of what the Browns
Prepared for. McDaniel reinforced my thought he is a real
Up and coming HC. When you think he zigs, he zags.

The Dolphins came out punched the Browns in the mouth
And they never could recover.
Myles Garrett only plays well when the Browns have a lead.
When the Browns are behind, he lacks focus and intensity

This offense misses Njoku. Harrison Bryant is not a threat
After the catch.
DPJ showed why he is over rated and a 6th RD pick
He lacks consistency. There are very few teams he could
Start for.

Game ball to Anthony Schwartz. He caught a pass. Yeah baby

Maybe Andrew Berry should look how the Dolphins offense
Is built. Cause the offense in Cleveland isn't working

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
Consider the limited offensive options when you are down by 14 points in the second half.

I have considered it. You see, we have heard in this forum about how highly Brissett is ranked among NFL QB's. Not saying that was by you. But you've seen it. Now on the other hand, people can't go around singing Brisset's praises and then use the excuse he can't mount a comeback. It's either one or the other.

Once again, this is not directed towards you.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I understand.

Here is the thing. Jacoby is a backup. He has limitations. He has played well when the offense is running with all options at it's disposal.

When we can gain 5 yards on first down. When we can have third and short. Play action works. We have a run game that is highly ranked. Teams have to look for Chubb and Hunt.

When the team falls behind by two scores in the second half and the clock becomes a factor. We don't have an offense that is a spread using 3 or 4 receivers that is a downfield passing offense. Jacoby is not a drop back scan 4 receiver guy. He is not a come from behind guy to run a 2 minute drill only passing the ball. He could do it to a degree. But after Cooper and DPJ we don't even have a legit third receiver.

We are a run based play action pass team. They went and got Jocoby over Case because they felt he could run our offense. Jacoby is not Watson.

So when we give up 39 and the team we play does not punt the ball. We are not going to win those games.

Legend
Legend
I’m with those that believe Jacoby has played as well as we could have hoped. I remember when the year started a lot of us being worried about being able to score enough points. A lot of people assumed our D would be a top 10 unit. Lol those were the days

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Miamis HC took a page from the Belichek book and
Brought out a gameplan opposite of what the Browns
Prepared for.....

From The Athletic...

Dolphins defensive coordinator Josh Boyer is in his fourth season in Miami and third as defensive coordinator. Prior to that, he worked for the Patriots for 13 seasons. The only other team that pretty much dared the Browns to pass and in the process was able to really limit the Browns’ run-game effectiveness this season was New England. Maybe I’m getting way ahead of things here, but I’m probably not. There’s something teams know about Stefanski’s offense and the best way to keep the run game from finding its top gear, and whatever that formula is, it seems to be known by the Dolphins and Patriots. Now, the offense wasn’t the main reason the game got away from the Browns on Sunday, and there’s certainly plenty of blame to go around. But the Browns have been pretty thoroughly dismantled in two of their last four games, a stretch that started with the Patriots game in Week 6. The last team to score as many points against the Browns as the Dolphins did Sunday was the Patriots last November. The Browns had extra time to prepare for this game and still flatlined.

If the Browns just don’t match up with certain teams well, that’s part of the game. If there are parts of the Browns’ schemes that teams have been able to decipher, that’s also something that happens to every team. But if there’s something about Stefanski’s message or communication with the players that’s not resonating and that’s leading to the Browns coming up empty when the stakes start to get high, that’s a major problem. I just can’t stress enough that a bye week brings advantages on multiple fronts, and for the Browns to get steamrolled by a team headed into its bye week is cause for major alarm. It’s not like this game was a layup or that anyone expected the Browns to dominate. But the performance was one you usually see from a team playing out the string in December or January, not one riding a pre-bye high and still having everything in front of it in Week 10.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
Here is the thing. Jacoby is a backup. He has limitations. He has played well when the offense is running with all options at it's disposal.

I understand and agree with pretty much your entire post. That's why I was mainly addressing my post to the main person who touts Brissett being rated among the top 10 QB's in the league as some gauge of his overall ability and those who agree with him. It seems both of us see him the same way and understand his limitations. That's why many of us say stats are for losers.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That person is certainly entitled to his opinion just like everyone else, but I don't think Miami's defensive game plan had much to do w/their win. We moved the ball on consistently until the game became lopsided. We scored on our first possessions of each half. We were driving for another score and Chubb's fumble derailed that.

The game was won because we could not even come close to slowing down their running game. That helped open up their passing game. This loss was on the defense....again. Our DTs got destroyed. Our tackling was not sound. In short, I think the author is reaching big time.

The offense isn't stellar, but it's been way better than almost all of us thought. I will say our OL struggled a bit in this game, especially our tackles. I will also say that Jacoby can manage the game and he did that again on Sunday. His numbers for the year are far beyond what anyone expected. However, he is not a dynamic qb who can carry you on his shoulders. He isn't the type to light it up if the team gets down by a lot. He's playing well, but he has his limitations.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, the browns scored on each of their first drives. One at the beginning of the game and one to open the second half. That falls in line with being the scripted plays the Browns use in each of those occasions. It's the rest of the game that people have been most concerned about.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't know about scripting plays. Is that fact or just hearsay? I thought that was just something fans assume because we play well out of the gate. How do you script plays, anyway? Seems like the script would have to change depending on down or distance.

Anyway... Besides the Dolphins exploiting our run defense (lack thereof), they stifled our run game. We didn't have the usual chunk-runs on first down that often put opponents on their heels. We were ineffective running the ball. Before Chubb's 4th quarter TD he was 10 for 30... Hunt was 6 for 9 on the afternoon. 16 rushes, 39 yards.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
You are right in that I've seen it mentioned several times on the board. But it has also been reported in the media. I certainly can't say with 100% certainty. But if not there's certainly a lot of smoke with no fire.

Problem No. 3: His offensive schemes are predictable

Stefanski’s team seems like they just are going through the motions on both sides of the ball at this point. The first series of plays is always scripted going into a game and the Browns got off to a good start against the Dolphins. They initially went up 7-0 after they scored on their first possession of the game. But from that point forward the game was a disaster and many Browns players seemed lackluster again in their efforts.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/11/15/3-problems-kevin-stefanski/

This was when he couldn't be there due to covid in 2021......

With Stefanski out, the Browns will turn to special teams coach Mike Priefer as the acting head coach. As for the play-calling duties that Stefanski normally handles, that will fall on offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt.

Thankfully, it won’t be hard at all for Van Pelt to call plats, since all you need to do is put a “finger on a chart” and read what it says. Or at least, that’s what Stefanski says he does.

“I put my finger on a chart, and I read,” Stefanski said of his game-day duties via Ellis L. Williams of Cleveland.com. “That is not very hard. AVP can definitely do that much better than I can.”

Clearly, Stefanski was oversimplifying things but he’s correct that Van Pelt will be able to handle the job. And, he will also have a lot of input, especially on the first 10-20 plays of the game.

As pointed out by Ellis L. Williams, Stefanski will script the early plays and help install the game plan for his team. The real question will come down to how Van Pelt runs things during the two-minute offenses — or when things start to fall apart.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/01/07/kevin-stefanski-can-still-call-cleveland-browns-plays/

Then there's this from 2020.....

Browns offer fans chance to help script plays with Kevin Stefanski

Browns fans who've claimed they can run the team better than whichever coach is calling plays -- there have been a lot in the last two decades -- can finally get their chance in 2020.

As part of a widespread effort to provide food to those in need during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Browns are offering fans a chance to help head coach Kevin Stefanski and offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt script the team's first 15 plays of a preseason game. The winning bid will also be invited to team dinner and the team meeting the night before the game.

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-offer-fans-chance-to-help-script-plays-with-stefanski-van-pelt

I have no idea how the team can offer a fan the opportunity to help Stefanski script the first 15 plays of the game if Stefanski doesn't script the fist 15 plays of the game.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The first offensive series was perfect. KS knew they would be keying on Chubb.

We threw the ball. We even threw long. Why? We went right down the field and scored. KS wanted to set up the run game with the pass first. Get them out of the box. It worked. Second possession we mixed it up. Chubb doesn't fumble often. He did and it was in scoring territory.

We failed at every turn to stop them from scoring. The game got out of hand. It was ugly.

I will give credit to McDaniels his offensive game plan was spot on.

Legend
Legend
Thanks Pit. I'd imagine there is a script... and a script for when things go off script lol.

I think a lot of fans envision "scripting" as a list of plays, run in succession, no matter what. It would be silly to think it is that pigeon-holed; at times, it would be nearly impossible to adhere to. Don't get me wrong... YES, we script the first fifteen plays. If we're successful in executing them out of the gate... the script continues. If not, we take note of the defensive adjustment so that we can exploit a weakness out of the same look later. If we script fifteen plays that are unsuccessful, we're obviously not sticking to a script through the first five 3-and-outs.

I think good play calling after the script is more about setting up a defense with "looks", seeing how they react, and using those same looks with different plays to keep them off balance. Jab, jab, jab, while setting them up for an uppercut. Scripting "looks" would be akin to exploiting a DB via a route tree.

Why do we tend to have a lot of success with the scripted plays? Probably because we've rehearsed them beforehand.

I also found the following; believe it or not, it was from a fan and posted on quora. It makes perfect sense to me...

The first 15–25 plays can be executed usually before the defense can make adjustments to counter what the offense is trying to exploit. Good game plans are designed to maximize the advantage a team has against the weaknesses an opponent has. There is a ton of work put into a game plan and the scripted plays to start a game are both a reflection of that game plan and an attempt to validate the weaknesses they thought they saw on tape.

15–25 plays are enough variety to not expose the entire game plan, but rather are aimed at detecting and exposing specific things in the other teams game plan. What kind of defense will they play in certain down, distance and field position conditions? How hurt is a particular player? What happens the play after we stretch the defense with a long pass? etc, etc.

Sometimes, plays are included in the 15–25 plays to set something up later in the game or in more optimal places on the field.

Success in the NFL comes from a limited number of things… the level of talent you have, how you use that talent to maximize your advantages and hide your weaknesses and what kind of adjustments you make, and how quickly you make them as the game goes on. There is a famous military quote that “No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy”. That is equally true for the NFL. In large measure, scripted plays give you a wealth of information necessary for making informed adjustments to your offensive game plan.

To any of you x's and o's gurus, correct me where I'm wrong about all this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree that we did a nice job taking away Miami's deep game. Hill and Waddle were contained about as well as they have been all year. But Miami was prepared for that and was able to move the ball effectively in other ways. It seemed that on defense, we were not prepared for that. It's like we figured if we took away that deep game then we were set, that Miami would not plan ahead for that, or adjust for that during the game.

Similar thing happened against the Chargers and Falcons. We did a good job limiting what their offenses were best at, but completely ineffective elsewhere.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good recap. Click on the link to see the video clips.

Upon Further Review: What stood out from all-22 of loss to Dolphins?

Cory Kinnan
November 16, 2022 9:43 am ET

The hopes were high coming out of the bye week, but the Cleveland Browns floundered against the Miami Dolphins last week. Losing by a score of 39-17, the flaming hot Miami offense had no difficulty moving the football and finding the endzone against this struggling Cleveland defense.

Before we turn our attention completely to the Buffalo Bills and another potential snow game, we take one last look back at this beat down.

Now that the coach’s film is out and we can get an appropriate view of the game, what big points stuck out? Here are five points that stood out the most when re-watching this blood bath.

Myles Garrett got the best of Terron Armstead

Myles Garrett did not have a sack on the day against the Dolphins. And much of that had to do with the offensive masterclass head coach Mike McDaniel continues to put together. The Dolphins have been tremendous at shortening drops and getting the ball out on time.

It is not hyperbole to say there is not a pass rusher on the planet who would have gotten to Tua Tagovailoa on Sunday given the circumstance. He was not forced to move his eyes more than five times all game, routinely found his first progression and continued to be a professional at getting the ball out on time.

Make no mistake, however, the tape does not lie: Garrett got the best of left tackle Terron Armstead.

On multiple occasions, Garrett got into the backfield of Miami’s, and if the rest of the defense was able to force Tagovailoa off of his initial read and make him hold the ball even a second longer, turnover opportunities would have been created. And Armstead’s PFF grade on the day reflected this as well.

Garrett is a prime player who is getting treated like he is Courtney Brown. It is silly season, but Garrett continues to make an impact regardless.

Sione Takitaki continues to be a bright spot

As the rest of the linebackers on the roster are battling injuries or subpar performances, one continues to put his nose down and get to work. The Browns have to extend Sione Takitaki as he continues to play well at WILL. When Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah returns, the Browns need to see what these two players look like playing next to each other full-time.

Takitaki is the most physical presence on the defensive side of the football, is not afraid to stick his nose in run fits, and is even developing a sense of comfortability in coverage as well for the Browns. He had not been more than a SAM linebacker to this point in his career, but Takitaki has now earned the opportunity to be the three-down linebacker he has today.

In a unit where not much looks salvageable, Takitaki is a keeper. Get an extension done, Andrew Berry.

The Browns dearly miss David Njoku

It did not show against the Cincinnati Bengals before the bye week because the Browns used a ton more heavy personnel with offensive guard Michael Dunn filling in as a pseudo-tight end. However, with Dunn out, the Browns were forced to stick Harrison Bryant and Pharaoh Brown on the field in short-yardage situations.

And it proved just how much they miss Njoku. Going back to the third-and-one failure in the first half, Bryant got blown up in his gap and driven back into running back Kareem Hunt. Njoku, who has developed into one of the better blocking tight ends in the NFL, makes this block and seals off a rush lane for Hunt.

In the passing game, the Browns were taking one-on-one shots to Michael Woods and Donovan Peoples-Jones. No offense to Peoples-Jones, who is having a breakout year and is set to get a new deal this summer, but he is not exactly known for his ability to separate.

The 6-foot-4 high jump national champion stresses defenses out. He was on pace for 1,000 yards receiving before his injury and is a mismatch against all linebackers, safeties, and cornerbacks. Hopefully, Njoku can return this week as the Browns prepare for the Bills.

Bad day for the offensive line, run game

While Wyatt Teller missed the past few games with a calf injury, he tried to return in this one. He did not particularly play well before exiting in the first quarter again. Right tackle Jack Conklin played maybe the worst game of his career, Hjalte Froholdt did his best in the relief of Teller, and left tackle Jedrick Wills continues to be up and down as well.

Ethan Pocic and Joel Bitonio continued to play well, but when two of five are up to par, your offensive line is not in good standing. The Dolphins’ front outworked and dominated the Cleveland offensive line. The Browns averaged three yards per carry outside of one long touchdown run from running back Nick Chubb, and Jacoby Brissett was under constant duress all game long.

With Conklin in need of being replaced at season’s end, relief tackle James Hudson did not fare well on a plethora of snaps either. While they may have found a long-term answer in Pocic at center, they may be searching for bigger answers at right tackle beyond 2022.

What is salvageable from this defense?

Here is the question that has to be asked: what is salvageable from this defense?

The cornerback room will carry over into 2023. Denzel Ward is guaranteed too much money, Greg Newsome is still a promising player on a rookie deal, Martin Emerson has already outplayed his draft slot, and A.J. Green will be retained for cheap as an exclusive rights free agent. The only name who is not likely to return is Greedy Williams.

The core of the second level should be back as well. Owusu-Koramoah is not going anywhere, and there is hope Takitaki will return as well. Anthony Walker Jr., off of an ACL injury, may be able to be retained for cheap as well. Outside of that, Jacob Phillips, Tony Fields, and Jordan Kunaszyk will all have to fight for a roster spot. Brought in as a plug for a leak, Deion Jones will likely not return.

And this is where it gets dicey.

Grant Delpit might be the only safety in that room to return. Undrafted rookie D’Anthony Bell has earned his worth as a special teams contributor but should not be forced on the field anytime soon on defense. John Johnson III’s price tag vastly outweighs his production as he is likely to exit, and Ronnie Harrison is playing out an expiring deal as well.

Now we get to the defensive line.

The defensive tackle room needs completely overhauled as there is not a serviceable plug in that entire room. Taven Bryan is playing out a one-year deal (and while he would be a serviceable rotational piece) and is unlikely to get a new contract. Jordan Elliott is not going to have to fight for a roster spot in the last year of his deal, Tommy Togiai might be the worst defensive tackle in the league, and Perrion Winfrey cannot even sniff the field as a rookie (not to mention his difficulties staying in good standing with the coaching staff).

The promise the Browns have seen in Isaiah Thomas, however, means they will likely only need to replace one defensive end as Garrett, Alex Wright, and Thomas at least give them three quality pieces. Jadeveon Clowney and Chase Winovich are both on expiring contracts and would be long shots to retain.

Berry has his work cut out for him as the safety and defensive tackle rooms need a complete makeover.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

R
Legend
Legend
R
Just my opinion but I disagree on Garrett. It's obvious tackles are being coached to stay on his inside shoulder and take him upfield. Because that's all Garrett does. He's so in love with the speed rush and shoulder dip, he barely ever tries anything else. When's the last time we've seen him bull rush someone and collapse the pocket? He doesn't seem to sense how teams are playing him and what is needed. He tries the same thing over and over again. The only time he mixes it up is if they move him inside or run a stunt and he never gets home in those cases.

No one with higher expectations gets off so easy as Garrett by the "graders".

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually believe what you posted reinforces my opinion on the beginning of the game and the beginning of the second half of the Miami game. When the scripted plays are being used the Browns scored TD's in both instances. Otherwise only one FG was scored the entire game. That's not what we saw from Miami and not what we see from a lot of NFL teams. At some point a HC has to have the ability to adjust on the fly to what his opponent is doing. At least in this game that's not what we saw.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yes, it does reinforce your opinion. Just posting for a little more clarity on the process. To be clear though, we marched down for the FG to open the second half, not a TD. TD was on the next possession that actually bled into the 4th Q, not that takes away from your point in any way.

I think the best way to sum this up is a rather simple statement.

A coach scripts plays based on a combination of what he thinks the defense will do and where weaknesses may be exploited.

When he's right -- scripting works. When he's wrong -- scripting doesn't.

Now obviously there is a scale between "works" and "doesn't". For us, many times it seems to work very well. Since we can safely assume that we rehearse (practice) these scripted plays more, maybe there is some disconnect in the way we practice all the other plays. Or a problem with how intense or lengthy our actual practice sessions are. Not saying for sure, mostly just spit-balling.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Dolphins 39 Browns @ Dolphins Recap

Link Copied to Clipboard