Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1987785 11/21/22 12:50 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Often in life you lose track of people you know. Life happens and people go on their paths.

I think it was 1983 or so. I was a Sales Manager for a company selling telephone systems. The company hired a guy and put him on my sales team. His name was Jimmy Robinson.

He was a wide receivers coach in professional football since 1984, coaching for the Memphis Showboats, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Atlanta Falcons, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers, and most recently the Dallas Cowboys. As a player: New York Giants (1976–1979)

He worked for me about six months or so. When I first met him I did not know his background. But I found out pretty quickly that he played professional football. We became pretty good friends even though it was for a short time. We played softball together. Ate lunch together. Went on sales calls.

As a football fan I was super curious about his experience. He told me all kinds of stories. Really gave me insight and perspective about the pro game.

We were at lunch one day when he told me he got offered a job by Pepper Rodgers to coach the Memphis Showboats of the USFL. He was recently married and conflicted. He knew the phone business was a money maker and a good opportunity. But he still loved football. He asked for my opinion.

I told point blank. There will always be businesses that will be good opportunities. But it is rare to be able to make a living at something you love.

He took the job. He went on to a career in the NFL as a coach. I ran into him recently. We talked a bit. Got caught up some. Not much you can really get into after 40 years over a brief conversation.

Professional football to players is not what it is to fans. There are a lot misconceptions.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
bonefish #1987858 11/21/22 06:05 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
To us we are fans and it is a leisure activity.

To players and coaches, it is a job.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1988266 11/24/22 11:17 AM
Legend
Legend
I’ve known a couple of pro coaches (position coaches and a few front office guys) and it’s funny how much different they view it. The emotion is totally different than us fans.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Catching Up

Link Copied to Clipboard