Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
When you say neither team is having a great year...do you mean Bama and OSU?

There are only two teams that should be in the conversation for the 4 spot at this point in time. The ONLY teams with one loss throughout the year so far. USC and OSU. That's it, and you can make a case for either team to be in the 4 slot.

1, yes I was talking about OSU and Bama. Clearly we agree on Bama.
OSU has not played up to expectations and got crushed by UM.
But I get your point.

2, I forgot USC lost a game. So I can see the argument of USC vs OSU
But if USC wins next week then they are a 1 loss conference champion which I think gives them the nod.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with you and Vers.

1. I understand your point about Ohio State from a fans point of view. We are really spoiled. But the reality is we are one of 5 teams with one loss or less and each of these teams has their own flaws.

2. Yea that is why I said, "this point in time".

If USC wins their conference championship game, then I agree they should be the first to go. I would expect that result if it was OSU in USC's position.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
After listening to a bunch of others thoughts, something is glaring. After watching this game, I commented that Michigan’s qb clearly outplayed Marcus Stroud. - I didn’t think much of it at first but there’s something we have to consider. Not only for Ohio State, but for some of the other programs with top tier talent.
I think college football is in a bit of trouble.. The guys who get those NIL deals know that they are established enough to get drafted pretty dang high. Remember last year against Utah, when Ohio State’s two best players-Garret Wilson and Chris Olave sat out the bowl game out of fear of getting hurt and risking their draft status? If you didn’t notice against Michigan on Saturday, Ohio State’s best player- Smith-Njgba essentially sat this one out- He knows he’s a first rounder and he isn’t going to sacrifice his future for the program. Ohio State’s quarterback also figures to be a top 10 pick and he damn sure wasn’t about to get himself hurt for the program. - Dude left the pocket how many times to avoid any contact. -He also wasn’t about to take off and run the way that Michigan’s quarterback was all game. (Remember when JT Barrett would lower his shoulder on the option plays?)- The last thing those guys want is to get into the playoff. Take a look at ‘Bama. 2 losses? You don’t think that has anything thing to do with guy’s looking forward to April? We’re seeing the effects of NIL play out in front of us. “I just made 100,000 to do a commercial because I’m a superstar” …. “Oh wait! I’m a superstar, as long as I don’t get hurt from now until April, I can make a few million just by signing on the dotted line, and then make a few hundred thousand by doing another commercial!”

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
After listening to a bunch of others thoughts, something is glaring. After watching this game, I commented that Michigan’s qb clearly outplayed Marcus Stroud. - I didn’t think much of it at first but there’s something we have to consider. Not only for Ohio State, but for some of the other programs with top tier talent.
I think college football is in a bit of trouble.. The guys who get those NIL deals know that they are established enough to get drafted pretty dang high. Remember last year against Utah, when Ohio State’s two best players-Garret Wilson and Chris Olave sat out the bowl game out of fear of getting hurt and risking their draft status? If you didn’t notice against Michigan on Saturday, Ohio State’s best player- Smith-Njgba essentially sat this one out- He knows he’s a first rounder and he isn’t going to sacrifice his future for the program. Ohio State’s quarterback also figures to be a top 10 pick and he damn sure wasn’t about to get himself hurt for the program. - Dude left the pocket how many times to avoid any contact. -He also wasn’t about to take off and run the way that Michigan’s quarterback was all game. (Remember when JT Barrett would lower his shoulder on the option plays?)- The last thing those guys want is to get into the playoff. Take a look at ‘Bama. 2 losses? You don’t think that has anything thing to do with guy’s looking forward to April? We’re seeing the effects of NIL play out in front of us. “I just made 100,000 to do a commercial because I’m a superstar” …. “Oh wait! I’m a superstar, as long as I don’t get hurt from now until April, I can make a few million just by signing on the dotted line, and then make a few hundred thousand by doing another commercial!”

I honestly don't think it has to do with the NIL at all. Players just realized that it too much of a business risk to play in meaningless bowl games. I am not saying I agree with it, and I don't think Stroud was playing with that in mind, but I do think Smith-Njiba has avoided the field this year after getting hurt early. If they win, Stroud plays in the Playoff. Since they didn't, I doubt he plays in the bowl game, unless they sneak in now with a USC loss or something.

Stroud has never been a runner. He can run, but it isn't a big part of his game. McCarthy is a bit of a scrambler, and was used primarily as such last year. Stroud honestly doesn't seem like much of a fiery guy anyway. McCarthy is. Just differences in attitude, not saying one is better than the other.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If USC wins their conference championship game, then I agree they should be the first to go. I would expect that result if it was OSU in USC's position.

That's it in a nutshell IMO. If USC wins they're in due to holding the conference championship.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think this season is a very good example of why a 4 team playoff is sufficient. Most people think they've gotten it right every season since the format was introduced.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by jfanent
I think this season is a very good example of why a 4 team playoff is sufficient. Most people think they've gotten it right every season since the format was introduced.

I disagree. I think Ohio State would roll USC and beat TCU. Hell, I think Penn State is better than both those teams. I think LSU and Tennessee [when healthy] would also roll USC.

2 members like this: RememberMuni, ScottPlayersFacemask
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ohio state getting slapped two years in a row against a more physical MI is a serious problem. We recruit soft players, playing MI in November every year is going to be brutal under Ryan Day.

Soft Pac 12 team masquerading as a Big Ten team.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted by BpG

- That’s about as perfect of a comparison as I’ve heard of. This team doesn’t maul and grind other teams the way that Urban Meyer’s Buckeyes did. I keep going back to guys like JT Barret and Cardale Jones running the option and not being afraid of taking a hit. - Completely different from what the Buckeyes have with Marcus Stroud. Don’t get me wrong, Stroud is an elegant passer and makes NFL throws all day— but for some reason, he just doesn’t seem like the right fit for a BIG10 offense. Now, if OSU lucks their way into the playoffs and plays in a dome or in good weather, I think he’ll look like Tom Brady ( if he hasn’t already opted to sit out and wait for the draft).

Legend
Legend
For the record, Marcus Stroud played for the Jags and the Bills. CJ Stroud is the Buckeyes qb.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I knew that didnt sound right. My Homer Simpson moment. DOH!

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by The Beast
With all due respect to everyone here, this is how it is in Columbus: Beat Michigan, Win the Big Ten, Win the National Championship. Period. Ryan Day has failed two years in a row to achieve any of these things. He needs to win next year in Ann Arbor or things are going to get dicey in Columbus. He's getting paid $9M to win. That's the deal. Win or you are gone. Nobody cares about 11 wins a year against a collection of garbage teams if you lose to Michigan. It's always been that way. Don't like pressure? Columbus isn't for you.

Agree... We have a very talented team this year, but that second half was awful.... Day better figure out how to beat MI or he's gone... that was the worst I've seen OSU in a half in years... MI played a hell of a game... congrats to them....

and in terms of the CFP... OSU is where they should be... I can see the argument to be ahead of USC... but they just got beat down at home... hard to make too strong an argument for 4th best team when we get beat down at home...

If USC or TCU loses then OSU likely makes the playoffs... but this team needs to figure things out if they want to actually win a bowl game...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The latest rankings from the Committee were released. They were exactly the way a few of us said they would be. Ohio State at 5 ahead of Alabama at 6. Both teams are done playing. So are the teams ranked 7-10. If USC loses Friday night, the Bucks will almost certainly be in the playoffs. If TCU loses, they might still get in ahead of OSU because they would only have one loss.

One thing they were talking about that I did not really consider was if TUN would be ranked ahead of Georgia. It ended up w/Georgia at 1 and TUN at 2. Interesting conversation, though.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by jfanent

I disagree. I think Ohio State would roll USC and beat TCU. Hell, I think Penn State is better than both those teams. I think LSU and Tennessee [when healthy] would also roll USC.

After the league championships have played out, I don't think there will be any argument against the 4 teams that actually make the playoff. The Buckeyes have a decent chance of making it.

There is something going on with the Buckeyes and I don't know what it is given the talent there. They have not looked like a top 4 team since the PSU game. I even thought they were just toying with their opponents at first, and they haven't really "rolled" anybody except Indiana in that time. They've given up a lot of points, and they're not just garbage points....an average of 25+ points against over their final 5 games...and that includes the 7 vs Northwestern. Stroud just looks like he's playing scared.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Originally Posted by BpG
Ohio state getting slapped two years in a row against a more physical MI is a serious problem. We recruit soft players, playing MI in November every year is going to be brutal under Ryan Day.

I agree with MI being more physical. I thought Penn State was too at times.
What we didn't have the last two years was a dual threat QB. Think of Terrelle Pryor 2008-2010, Braxton Miller 2011-2015, JT Barret 2014-2017, Justin Fields 2019-2020, ... those guys always had the defense guessing.
Not taking anything away from CJ...he is smart and accurate but if our receiver's aren't open it's going to be a tough game especially with your best RB injured.

Legend
Legend
I personally think 8 teams is a good range for a playoff.

5 major conference winners and 3 at large selected by a committee

First round the top 4 seeds receive a game much closer to their campus than their opponent … and then following rounds are neutral

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The latest rankings from the Committee were released. They were exactly the way a few of us said they would be. Ohio State at 5 ahead of Alabama at 6. Both teams are done playing. So are the teams ranked 7-10. If USC loses Friday night, the Bucks will almost certainly be in the playoffs. If TCU loses, they might still get in ahead of OSU because they would only have one loss.

One thing they were talking about that I did not really consider was if TUN would be ranked ahead of Georgia. It ended up w/Georgia at 1 and TUN at 2. Interesting conversation, though.

My only issue with all this is USC and TCU possibly being punished for making their conference championship games. OSU and Alabama shouldn't be able to improve standing while not playing. It's the weirdest situation, because teams who did progress further can be punished, while teams who didn't get as far can be rewarded for NOT playing. Especially TCU who currently has the best SoS according to a couple metrics. OSU's was 69th I believe, and Alabama's with in the 40s and they have 2 losses.

And this isn't just a "this year" problem.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

That's it in a nutshell IMO. If USC wins they're in due to holding the conference championship.

No doubt. The only way OSU gets in is to enter the backdoor with a USC loss to Utah. A backdoor that I think could be open.

I will be glad when the playoffs go to 12 teams in 2 years. If they were this year the conversation would be if Utah or Kansas State gets in as the 12th team. It would still be interesting, but not nearly as when you start taking about who is 4th or 5th. At 12 the conversation sort of falls in that "whatever" realm.

No matter how many teams are included in the playoffs, somebody is always going to be the first team out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I'd hate to lose Hartline from that staff. Hope he stays, but understand moving your career forward. He'll be a HC someday whether it's it college or the NFL.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I'd hate to lose Hartline from that staff. Hope he stays, but understand moving your career forward. He'll be a HC someday whether it's it college or the NFL.

I've seen enough of these that I can't help but gravitate to the 'right now' part.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was wondering if other teams would come after him. From everything I have read and heard, he sounds like a very intelligent coach who relates well w/his players.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Ohio State will be in the playoffs now that Utah beat the snot out of USC last night. I've thought USC was a pretend team all year long. I'm guessing that TCU stays in the top 4 even w/a loss.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought OSU belonged in over USC before last night's loss, both teams had 1 loss but OSU's came against what was the #3 team in the country at the time while USC's came against Utah who were the #20 team at the time plus USC didn't even play against 2 of the better teams in their conference in Washington and Oregon.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
T
Legend
Legend
T
Ohio State will be in the playoffs now that Utah beat the snot out of USC last night. I've thought USC was a pretend team all year long. I'm guessing that TCU stays in the top 4 even w/a loss.
I think back to when I happened to watch with one of only one non conf. college football gamez all year, I watched earlier in the year, Utah vz. Usc, and late in the first half, maybe five minutez to go in the 2nd,
and the Refz, made one call that changed what realistically would have been a thirty five to seven UsC lead

to a 28 to fourteen lead. A fourteen point swing on one call, a light touch to the shoulder pad of the Utah @B which waz called roughing the pazzer and took away a pick 6. and zet up a red zone pozezzion.

UZC got Robbed in the first game against UTAH their only 2nd lozz, a one point lozz in the end, where UTAH would have given up down by 4 Zcorez at half, instead of juzt 2. And then the whole Zet of teamz getting into the playoff would be different.
all from one referee whistle call.
thumbzdown.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I can read about one zentenze of your poztz before I get pizzed of and quit reading.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
LOL

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c….

Ohio State is going to get another shot at Michigan in the CFP. A shot at redemption.

Legend
Legend
I’d love to see UGA vs Bama and OSU vs UM

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Jester
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c….

Ohio State is going to get another shot at Michigan in the CFP. A shot at redemption.

I hope they will let Bama in, but I doubt it. Go Buckeyes!

R
Legend
Legend
R
j/c….

Please no. I'd like to see some fresh teams in the playoff.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
TCU deserves to be in over Alabama and I don't think it's all that close if you factor out SEC bias.

Legend
Legend
TCU deserves to be in over Alabama and I don't think it's all that close if you factor out SEC bias.
That’s how I feel too. Bama is 5 or 6 based on resume

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Bulldogs will give us a massive beatdown

Legend
Legend
They’re certainly the best team by my view

Legend
Legend
Buckeyes where they belong. #4.

#gmstrong
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Have fun secondary

Legend
Legend
Vs Georgia at 4PM

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I knew OSU was going to be #4 before they announced it. During the CFB playoff announcement show they were talking how Georgia was obviously #1 and UM #2 but the graphic showed a split screen of Kirby Smart and Ryan Day

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think the Committee got it right.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Vs Georgia at 4PM

It's at 8pm.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The Ohio State Football Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard