Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Former President Trump is facing sharp criticism from Republicans, including some who served in his administration, over his dinner with a prominent white nationalist. 

The incident underscores the types of headaches some in the GOP are hoping to avoid as they push to move on from Trump in the 2024 presidential race, even as they worry he could win a Republican primary. 

“President Trump was wrong to give a white nationalist, an antisemite and a Holocaust denier a seat at the table, and I think he should apologize,” former Vice President Mike Pence told NewsNation in an interview, while insisting that Trump himself is not antisemitic or racist.

Pence was the most notable GOP official to weigh in on Trump’s dinner late last week with the rapper Ye, formerly Kanye West, and prominent white nationalist Nick Fuentes. 

But a number of other GOP senators also criticized the president over the remarks as they were peppered with questions by reporters upon returning to the Capitol. 

Sen. Bill Cassidy (La.), one of a handful of GOP senators who voted to convict Trump in an impeachment trial over his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot, tweeted Monday that Trump hosting Ye and Fuentes “encourages other racist antisemites.”

“These attitudes are immoral and should not be entertained. This is not the Republican Party,” Cassidy tweeted.

Sen. Susan Collins (Maine), another one of the seven Republicans who voted to convict Trump in 2021, told reporters on Monday Trump “should never have had a meal or even a meeting with Nick Fuentes.”

Several GOP senators who voted against Trump’s conviction, including Senate Minority Whip John Thune (S.D.) and Sen. Rick Scott (Fla.), who led the GOP’s Senate campaign arm and is seen as a Trump ally, were also critical. 

Trump’s former ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, earlier had criticized Trump over the meeting, saying “even a social visit” from those espousing antisemitism was unacceptable.

Trump late last week hosted Ye at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. The rapper, who has been widely condemned and lost business deals in recent months for his own antisemitic rhetoric, brought with him Fuentes, an outspoken Holocaust denier who has in recent years hosted a white nationalist conference.

The former president has issued several statements in the aftermath of the meeting, none of which explicitly disavowed Ye’s or Fuentes’s past rhetoric.

“So I help a seriously troubled man, who just happens to be black, Ye (Kanye West), who has been decimated in his business and virtually everything else, and who has always been good to me, by allowing his request for a meeting at Mar-a-Lago, alone, so that I can give him very much needed ‘advice,’ ” Trump posted on Truth Social on Saturday. “He shows up with 3 people, two of which I didn’t know, the other a political person who I haven’t seen in years. I told him don’t run for office, a total waste of time, can’t win. Fake News went CRAZY!”

To some Republicans, Trump holding court with an avowed antisemite highlights the risks with nominating him for president for a third time.

“This is just awful, unacceptable conduct from anyone, but most particularly from a former President and current candidate,” Chris Christie, the former New Jersey governor who is mulling his own 2024 bid, tweeted in response to the Trump meeting.

The meeting also reflects how easy it has become for fringe figures to gain access to Trump since he left the White House. Former aides expressed concerns about who was in Trump’s ear in the waning weeks of his presidency, but without the infrastructure of the White House in place, Trump is more likely to grant an audience to extremists like Fuentes.

“Mr. Trump isn’t going to change, and the next two years will inevitably feature many more such damaging episodes. Republicans who continue to go along for the ride with Mr. Trump are teeing themselves up for disaster in 2024,” the Wall Street Journal editorial board wrote in a piece published Sunday.

While criticism from the likes of Christie and the Journal’s editorial board is nothing new for Trump, others in the party, including GOP leaders and potential 2024 candidates for president, have remained largely silent over the controversy.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has not weighed in on the meeting. McCarthy previously condemned Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) for attending a conference with Fuentes.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is expected to offer comments on the controversy on Tuesday.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley are among those believed to be eyeing presidential bids who have not offered any comment on Trump’s meeting with West and Fuentes.

Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has in recent weeks inched toward criticizing Trump without naming his former boss, and did so again over the weekend when he decried antisemitism as a “cancer.”

“We stand with the Jewish people in the fight against the world’s oldest bigotry,” Pompeo tweeted.

Republicans spent four years trying to deflect, explain or dismiss Trump’s latest controversial comments or actions, and it is likely to once again become a central issue for the party.

Trump has already announced his candidacy for 2024, and he may soon be back on Twitter, giving him an even wider audience to espouse unfounded or incendiary claims.

“Ever since the election in 2020, I think the president’s descended deeper into the heart of darkness here,” Marc Short, a top aide to Pence and a former official in Trump’s White House, told CNN on Sunday. “I think it’s a big challenge [and] another reason Republicans are looking in a different direction in 2024.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...GtL66y5V5NkKl7aVPHsHHq7E8rD9ZZlg1uEEqmEA

It appears the better late than never crowd has decided to finally show up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
At many levels, Trump needs to go away. The Justice Department has got a slam dunk case against him on classified documents. He's TOAST. Any idiot who voted for him should be self critiquing themselves- name another President- married three times, how many adulteries, how many bankruptcies, how many criminal suits, how many millions of lies- damn, he's SPECIAL. For sure we NEEDED a non-politician, because they/ his voters- wanted a never ending edition of " the Presidential Apprentice"- always trying to find best way for himself.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Most of that was known when the party of family values elected him the first time. And they had heard the "grab them by the pu$$y" tape too. Do you really think they care? It's all about pwning the libs.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Trump takes sharp GOP criticism over meeting with white nationalist"

Not enough, most sit silently looking the other way. Just like with Jan 6th its all very disgusting.

Joe Thomas #73
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am certain the polling will show that the moderates who rallied around Trump due to their disgust of Hilary the first time and rejected him the second time have not changed their minds. If anything he just drives them further and further away. It's not these regular hit pieces, it's the stuff he actually says getting more and more out of touch and weird.

Hit pieces calling trump and anti-Semite tho? OR at least alluding that he might be is the most ridiculous. Like anyone who followed the slightest bit of his campaign knows that is nonsense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by BpG
I am certain the polling will show that the moderates who rallied around Trump due to their disgust of Hilary the first time and rejected him the second time have not changed their minds. If anything he just drives them further and further away. It's not these regular hit pieces, it's the stuff he actually says getting more and more out of touch and weird.

Hit pieces calling trump and anti-Semite tho? OR at least alluding that he might be is the most ridiculous. Like anyone who followed the slightest bit of his campaign knows that is nonsense.

I think the moderates & Independents that voted for Trump over Biden mostly did so because they could see Biden was not mentally fit to be president and will definitely not vote for Trump in the upcoming election.

I think he has about a 5% chance of getting the ticket and I hope he keeps continuing to do these stupid things.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
O
Legend
Legend
O
rofl

So they voted for somebody 'competent' like Trump? You can't make this crap up.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
rofl

So they voted for somebody 'competent' like Trump? You can't make this crap up.

the devil you know or the devil you don't.

let's not pretend that Biden is competent either...

these political parties need to do better and give us better candidates.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Never heard of the Nick Fuentes.
I guess he is just another white nationalist, neo-nazi, far-right, fascist, holocaust denying, gun-toting, anarchist, white supremacist, election denying, canadian-trucker supporting, vaccine hesitant, ultra-MAGA piece of human excrement.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You can't make this crap up...

Looks like they are getting their civil war... inside the party, LMAO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
let's not pretend that Biden is competent either

You are pretending he’s not competent. rofl

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Say what you will. When you have people like Ye and Nick Fuentes over for dinner you are signaling you approve of them. You are sending a message that you condone their behavior. Just like when you had those white nationalists that created chaos in Charlottesville with one woman being killed and then say "There are good people on both sides". Pretending he isn't sending that message is ridiculous.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Now MTG is speaking out....

MTG Says Trump Should Stop Hanging Out With the Kind of Racist Riff Raff MTG Hangs Out With

Greene spoke at a conference Fuentes organized earlier this year.

The fallout from former President Donald Trump’s dinner with Ye and white supremacist Nick Fuentes has apparently resulted in new restrictions on who can meet with Trump at Mar-a-Lago, and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene thinks that’s a great idea.

That’s the same Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene who spoke at a conference Fuentes organized earlier this year.

After Trump’s dinner with Ye, Fuentes, and former Trump campaign staffer Karen Giorno at Mar-a-Lago, the former president was slammed by GOP rivals, and even some allies, for entertaining two well-known antisemites. Trump has said he didn’t know who Fuentes was—though at first he reportedly shied away from denouncing Fuentes for fear of angering his base. 

“I had never heard of [Fuentes],” Trump told Fox News Tuesday. “I had no idea what his views were, and they weren’t expressed at the table in our very quick dinner, or it wouldn’t have been accepted.”

As a result of the backlash, the Trump campaign is apparently putting “new protocols in place” to ensure that the people who meet with the former president are vetted, and will make sure a senior campaign official is with him at all times, the Associated Press reported Wednesday. 

Greene is a prominent Trump ally who has already endorsed his third run for president, which Trump announced earlier this month almost immediately after the Republicans’ less-than-stellar performance in the midterms. Greene praised the new protocols at Mar-a-Lago Tuesday, according to Semafor. 

“My understanding is they’re making big changes over who can come in and the vetting process, which I think is smart,” Greene told reporters.

But earlier this year, Fuentes cleared whatever vetting process Greene has, when she and Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona spoke at Fuentes’ America First Political Action Conference (AFPAC), the far-right counter-programming to the already right-wing Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). In fact, Fuentes introduced her before her speech. 

“My understanding is they’re making big changes over who can come in and the vetting process, which I think is smart,” Greene told reporters.

But earlier this year, Fuentes cleared whatever vetting process Greene has, when she and Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona spoke at Fuentes’ America First Political Action Conference (AFPAC), the far-right counter-programming to the already right-wing Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). In fact, Fuentes introduced her before her speech. 

After criticism from Republicans including Sen. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell for her appearance at AFPAC in February, Greene claimed that she didn’t know Fuentes. And on Tuesday, Greene denounced Fuentes while shirking responsibility for boosting his profile. 

“Of course I denounce Nick Fuentes and his racists [sic] anti-semitic ideology,” Greene said in a tweet responding to a CNN reporter. “I can’t comprehend why the media is obsessed with him.”

GOP Rep. Kevin McCarthy, the likely next Speaker of the House, said Tuesday that “no one should be spending time with Nick Fuentes,” and claimed Trump “came out four times and condemned him.” 

This was not true; Trump’s comments to Fox News, which were published after McCarthy claimed Trump had condemned him, were the first time Trump had even lightly condemned Fuentes.

Trump, for his part, excused his dinner with antisemites by saying he was pro-Israel during his presidency. “I gave [Israel] the embassy in Jerusalem,” Trump told Fox News, referring to his controversial decision to move the U.S. embassy from Tel-Aviv and acknowledge Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. 

“There’s nobody that has proven to be more of a friend of Israel than Donald Trump,” Trump told Fox News. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epz...aqcw9B9-jjjE45WRHPluOl5L5JEvsZxryI5U_cE4

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The leopard can't change their spots.

Trump gets exactly what he wants, tons of free media air discussion and hype, more than he could buy if he tried.

Oh the feigned outrage, the audacity of the man, let's talk about if for hours on end.

There should be a 5 minute limit per hour on Trump news coverage.

My approach would follow the lyrics of an old Who song....

... Let's forget you better still...

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Say what you will. When you have people like Ye and Nick Fuentes over for dinner you are signaling you approve of them. You are sending a message that you condone their behavior. Just like when you had those white nationalists that created chaos in Charlottesville with one woman being killed and then say "There are good people on both sides". Pretending he isn't sending that message is ridiculous.

Agree... no reason they should be having dinner at his place... it's ridiculous...

<><

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump takes sharp GOP criticism over meeting with white nationalist

Link Copied to Clipboard