Next Thread
Print Thread
#1990858 12/05/22 08:04 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I am requesting the posts in this thread just deal specifically about what happened in this particular game rather than our FO should have brought in better DTs in the off-season, our coach cost us games earlier in the year, etc. Thanks.

The O:

--Watson was putrid. I expected rust, but man, he was awful. He missed so many open throws. I thought he was trying to kill worms w/all the balls he threw in the dirt. Those short throws told me something. He was tight. He was trying to guide the ball. That caused him to hold on to it too long and that leads to short-arming the throws. Also, he may not have even trusted what he was seeing. Not sure about that part, though.

--We really miss Pocic. I don't want to be mean to Froholdt or whatever his name is because he is in a tough spot, but he is really hurting our OL. I also think Teller is still hurting w/the calf injury.

--Saw a lot of Hubbard as an extra o-lineman.

--Cooper was surprised by the velocity of ball when Watson threw it. He dropped one and bobbled another. I saw his eyes on the second one and he looked surprised.

--DPJ continues to make big plays and be an asset.

--Bryant gave us nothing.

--But, great play call by Stefanski when he brought JB in on 4th and 1. Faked them out big time.

--I think Chubb had 17 carries. I like him getting between 15-20.

--Hunt ran very angry. Nice game for him.

The D:

--Pierce is a violent runner. We struggled early, but improved as the game went along.

--We are going to miss Taki a lot. Our D really improved once he was inserted into the lineup. He's more physical than the other LBers.

--The secondary had a pretty good game, but their QB sucks ass.

--I thought JJ did a better job of providing help over the top in our zone coverages.

--Delpit w/a couple of missed tackles and a couple really nice tackles.

--Greedy w/a weak effort on a would-be tackle late in the game.

--Once again, it looked like we were the better coached team.

Special Teams:

I have to admit they have been playing better. Good all around effort by them. I really like our punter. Dude's been a blessing this year.

Bottom line:

Ugly, ugly win. The D and the Special Teams truly picked up the O for the first time this year.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

L
Legend
Legend
L
Watson was very very rusty, nervous, anxious to prove himself again, but at the same time a bit gun-shy. But you can see the talent, the athleticism. He’ll get better fast, the improvement will be quick.

The TV announcers didn’t mention the lawyer Buzbee and his entourage but they were fair to Deshaun, at the same time acknowledging he has to re-build his reputation.

ST:
Our punter has been killing it, DPJ had our first PR touchdown in like, eight years, and York was solid.

D: this is the second straight week that Winfrey has played and the second straight week the run D hasn’t been run over, except in the early part of the game. They were missing a key wideout and their QB isn’t very good, so I’m not getting giddy with delight and doing backflips.

They did however, cause turnovers and had two defensive touchdowns, and I can’t remember the last time that happened.

I agree that losing Taki will hurt significantly. He’s hot heart and is a good run stopper, not awful as far as I know at pass defending, and I hope we give him a fair shake in his contract year. I also hope someone steps up.

Oh well.
We’re on to Cincinnati.

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/05/22 08:56 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I tried to watch Winfrey closer this week. It's tough to always identify guys in the pile because the TV camera cuts away to show other things almost as soon as the ball carrier is down. He made some strong plays where he showed power when engaging the guard or center. He also got turned a few times and they ran through that hole. I didn't see enough to grade him accurately, but it was acceptable.

One criticism of Stefanski is when he ran Chubb out of the end zone and they tackled him for a safety. Chubb is a one-cut zone runner. He's not a hit the hole hard w/power. He's not really a short yardage back. That seems weird because he is so strong and powerful. It's just that his style is better in the ZBS than in man or base blocking plays.

I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere, but I really liked the rapport between Watson and Jacoby. JB was there beside him all game long and was really trying to help him. He's a great teammate. It was also nice that Watson was actually listening to Jacoby and not acting all superior.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol, forgot to acknowledge Fields. He had quite the game. And I truly don’t ever remember us scoring a TD after a fumble on a QB sneak. Not just us, but any team in any league.

Our punter booms them he has good placement.
We lost Bell & Schwartz to injury yesterday, or we wouldn’t have seen Felton at all. He won’t be in our plans for next year, I suspect.
Would like to see D’Ernest play.

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
When we were backed up, I thought KS at the time, should have used PA and used a play designed for a quick, short throw. I think when a team is backed up, a D is going to be hungry for a safety and will stack the LOS.

He did the second time and it worked, with the slant to Cooper, and I see what you’re saying about Chubb not as prone to being effective in that scenario.

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/05/22 09:32 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Fields had a game of a lifetime haha. He’s got a shot now to play the last 5 games and prove himself worthy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah guys, the thing about Fields is not just the pick 6 and fumble recovery, but he was active all game long. He got trucked once by Pierce, but that man is a violent, violent runner. I thought Fields was very active when he was on the field. I remember a few of us liking him during the preseason.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Does it not concern anyone else about this staff that there are a number of players who only see the field due to injuries, then perform really well once in the game? Taki, Fields, Green, etc.

These guys are too recipe and program driven. Very little feel, thought, gut. Just follow the script.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Why not just put that in the PostGame thread or the Bash Stefanski thread? I politely asked that we keep this thread just to things specific about this one game. Can't we have just one thread where it's just about talking about the actual game of football and not all the agenda crap? Just one?

R
Legend
Legend
R
My bad. This staff just has so many shortcomings I can't help myself. Every thread makes me think of it.

I'm not going to delete it, but the refs can move it if they want

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't want it deleted or moved. I am just hoping the thread doesn't become yet another thread that focuses on the topic of Stefanski being fired. I have no problems if you point out specific moves where he screwed up during the game. I just want to keep this thread about this specific game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
--Greedy w/a weak effort on a would-be tackle late in the game.

And when you watch the replay, a totally lame ass effort when chasing after the guy after he let him get away.

The effort after is worse than missing the tackle.

Say good-bye to that guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Hammer
Legend
Legend
Oh yeah I forgot about Greedy! He was totally loafing (and has a few times when I’ve paid attention). His time here isn’t much longer

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, that going through the motions on the tackle and chase by Greedy was ridiculous.

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already

- we are 1-0 on winning the coin toss with Watson as QB

- it was nice to see Jacoby and Watson doing a lot of smiling and iPad study after series

- I am a little surprised we didn't try any deep throws (unless I missed it). The only one I saw was a miscommunication where Watson threw deep, and receiver ran short route.

- Good challenge at the beginning of the game by Stefanski

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's disturbing the Browns offense could not find the end zone
Vs the Texans. Worst defense in the league.
Watson looked like a rookie. But having Pete Davidson at WR
Didn't help with the nice throw and fumble
It seemed like the offense could not overcome that
Too many penalties in the run game by the WRs.
Jedrick Wills looked uninterested. What a bust
The video doesn't lie.
The Browns defense was the beneficiaries of a porous QB
And unimaginative gameplan
The Browns defense had no issues diagnosing the Texans
Execution on offense

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Yea, that going through the motions on the tackle and chase by Greedy was ridiculous.

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already

- we are 1-0 on winning the coin toss with Watson as QB

- it was nice to see Jacoby and Watson doing a lot of smiling and iPad study after series

- I am a little surprised we didn't try any deep throws (unless I missed it). The only one I saw was a miscommunication where Watson threw deep, and receiver ran short route.

- Good challenge at the beginning of the game by Stefanski

Speaking of going through the motions, did anyone else notice the lack of effort by Cooper on the DW interception in the endzone? I went back and watched it again to make sure. I don't expect him to suddenly become a great tackler, but I do expect him to at least try to run after the guy. Don Beebe he was not.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I apologize in advance for posting this article that doesn't focus on only the negative parts of the game. You can check out the link to watch short videos that support his opinion.

Upon Further Review: What stood out from all-22 of Browns' win over Texans

Share this article
215 shares
share tweet email

Cory Kinnan
December 6, 2022 7:45 pm ET

It is time for Upon Further Review, where we diagnose some things that show up once we get a birds-eye view of the game film. The Cleveland Browns won by a score of 27-14 over the Houston Texans, and it looked ugly from live viewing. The all-22 was also quite ugly, but it is always nice to add some context to what is happening outside of the broadcast view.

What stood out after digesting the coach’s film of this less-than-stellar Week 13 matchup between the Browns and Texans? Here are four bullet points, two offensively and two defensively, that made impressions on a second viewing.

It did not take long for the Browns to mold their game plan to their new quarterback. While it may take some time to knock some rust off and get used to actual pressure in an NFL game, the Browns jumped right into the RPO action, allowing their guy to slip the ball out and either run or pass.

It was littered in their offense on Sunday, and will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Outside of stints from the likes of Seneca Wallace and Johnny Manziel, the Browns have never had a mobile quarterback to use to their advantage. Sticking strictly to the football field, this offense can unlock sides of the playbook they have not been able to over the prior two seasons under head coach Kevin Stefanski.

Running backs are now facing lighter boxes
Browns Texans
Browns RB Nick Chubb vs. Texans. Mandatory Credit: Thomas Shea-USA TODAY Sports

There need to be two things differentiated before we move forward: the running game can have success while the offensive line struggles. This was the case on Sunday against the Texans. The best example to give for this is by using the Browns’ run game from the middle of the field versus their run game in short-yardage situations.

In short-yardage situations, the Browns struggled as the Texans were able to load up and commit. However, on neutral down, the Browns were able to find a great deal of success on the ground. On the day, the Browns rushed the football on 30 designed runs, with Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt averaging a combined 5.5 yards per carry.

Again, adding in a quarterback who can consistently instill fear in a defense with his legs, and a consistent threat through the air, they have to gameplan fewer players in the box. The Browns’ run game has had its issues over the past few weeks, but their tides have begun to turn as the Browns can now spread out defenses a bit more.

Can young defenders keep stepping up?

It was the Tony Fields II day in Houston on Sunday, and his dad was there to celebrate. But he was far from the only first or second-year player to step up for the Browns. Once again, Martin Emerson stepped in, but 2021 first rounder Greg Newsome II had maybe the best game of his career as well.

On top of those guys, defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey is showing signs of life for the Browns over the last two weeks. Alex Wright was graded out as a top player for the Browns on the day as well, giving the Browns a good look at their young talent. This is a pleasant sight that needs to be built upon as the Browns are looking at quite a few holes in the face moving into the offseason.

The defensive tackles had... a good game?

This was the first game all season where it felt like the Browns had a defensive tackle group that looked like an NFL defensive tackle group. As mentioned, Winfrey has stepped up over the past two weeks, but Jordan Elliott had his fair share of good reps, and Taven Bryan found consistent pressure against the Texans as well.

Sure, they managed to look serviceable against a 1-9-1 team, but this makes two weeks in a row where the Browns have held their opponent under 100 yards rushing. The Browns were able to shut down the run game of the Bengals in their last matchup, but they are playing better football. The defensive tackles will need to continue to step it up if the Browns want to improve to 3-1 in the AFC North.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I apologize in advance for posting this article that doesn't focus on only the negative parts of the game. You can check out the link to watch short videos that support his opinion.

Apology accepted. Maybe if you're going to request others don't start crap on your thread, you should be the one starting crap yourself.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Maybe if you're going to request others don't start crap on your thread, you should be the one starting crap yourself.

Touche!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Good read Vers, thanks for posting. It’s just one guy’s opinion, but the writer’s props to Winfrey made me feel at least a bit better about the DL interior.

Oh and no need to apologize.

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/07/22 06:19 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Texans 14 Browns @ Texans Recap

Link Copied to Clipboard