Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Since Elon took over Twitter hate speech against black people is up 200% and others are way up too.

200%

What does that represent?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
So what does that have to do with what's happening in our country now? What does that have to do with white men running down a delivery driver and shooting at him. What does that have to do with white men running down and gunning down Ahmaud Arbery? Nothing, that's what.

And what does this have anything to do with it being open season? It isn't shoot a Negro month. It's a couple of idiots who shot some black guy for some stupid reason.

So you didn't like the thread title I take it? But thanks for the time travel. I haven't heard anyone call a black man a Negro in decades now. Thanks for taking me back to my childhood. You know, a kinder gentler time according to many.

I am taking you back to the time your thread represents.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
It would be akin to this: The u.s. pollutes too much, so we must curb our pollution. Great in theory, but when you have a hundred other countries that don't give a crap, and pollute like crazy, is punishing ourselves productive, or just a money thing?

This reminds me of what most children are taught when they are very young. "If lil Jimmy jumps off as cliff, do you think it's okay for you to jump off a cliff too?" I read this as you being a cliff jumper. Same with slavery. No matter who else does it, that doesn't make it any less wrong.

Both slavery and the genocide of over 200 indigenous tribes is our history. Even though those on the right think we shouldn't teach much about that in history classes.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
So what does that have to do with what's happening in our country now? What does that have to do with white men running down a delivery driver and shooting at him. What does that have to do with white men running down and gunning down Ahmaud Arbery? Nothing, that's what.

And what does this have anything to do with it being open season? It isn't shoot a Negro month. It's a couple of idiots who shot some black guy for some stupid reason.

So you didn't like the thread title I take it? But thanks for the time travel. I haven't heard anyone call a black man a Negro in decades now. Thanks for taking me back to my childhood. You know, a kinder gentler time according to many.

I am taking you back to the time your thread represents.

Do you mean back in February of 2020 when Ahmaud Arbery was hunted and gunned down or do you mean February of 2022 when this Fed Ex driver was chased down and shot at? Because nobody was using the term Negro then. Stop acting like this is history when it's still happening. It's quite unbecoming of you. Maybe that's a large part of the reason it can't be fixed.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Yep, now it's my fault.

Carry on

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Just the mind set. Not you as an individual. I thought that was obvious. Guess not.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Are we even sure his getting shot at was because he was black? Maybe he just parked too close to their meth lab/stash house.

rofl yeah that’s it. rofl Speculate much?

It wasn't to be taken literally. *shrug*

It was more a tongue in cheek satire on stereotyping and the assumption of racism.

I think the assumption of racism is one of the things that leads to continuing racism. Self-fulfilling prophecy and feedback loops. Jumping to conclusions (based on clickbait or a quick, two sentence post) is quite the American (/modern world in general) pastime. We're biologically wired to jump to conclusions for survival, but in non-survival situations this trait is problematic.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And in this case, the obvious racism involved can not be denied.

It's only self fulfiling because it keeps happening. I guess not pointing that out would be a better solution according to some.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was black and they were white, so the motive had to be racist? Based on what? The story in the initial post is light on details.

I don't know. The assumption of racism feels kind of racist.

Fiercely Independent.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Well we know that incidents like this are all about your feelings. I suppose three white men running down and killing Ahmaud Arbery was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with race either? Then let me ask you, how many white guys did these men chase down and shoot at when they witnessed them doing nothing illegal in their neighborhood? You're smarter than you're acting right now.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He was black and they were white, so the motive had to be racist? Based on what? The story in the initial post is light on details.

I don't know. The assumption of racism feels kind of racist.

The assumption that it wasn’t an act of racism feels kind of fascist.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Except, I'm not saying it wasn't racism. I'm saying that I don't know what it was. Whatever it was wasn't good, but I don't have enough information to know the motivation.

Why is it so hard for some people to admit ignorance? Nobody knows everything, and most people know a lot less than they seem to think they do. Assumptions are all too frequently treated as knowledge.

It appears racist, and the media appears to have tried to portray it that way, but the information in the initially quoted article doesn't do a whole lot to support that. To me, it looks like assumptions were made. They may be accurate. They might not.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: FATE
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I ask you again, how many white people which there was zero evidence of a crime being committed did these men chase down and shoot at? It plainly states that he had just "dropped off" packages. There was no evidence that he committed a crime. He was wearing his Fed Ex uniform. So if it wasn't based on race, surely you can provide some type of evidence these men treated white people the same way, right?

I think ignorance is dismissing what we do know.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was shot at in his vehicle after swerving around a different vehicle. Are we sure they saw his uniform? What time of day did this happen? Could they see through the vehicle's windows? Were they pissed that he nearly hit them while backing out of a driveway? Was it their driveway he was pulling out of? Were they blocking him in or were they trying to pull in? It could potentially be explained by road rage instead of racism. A road rage story wouldn't necessarily fit other agendas, though.

We've got one side of a story, and it is a very limited one.

Fiercely Independent.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The driver said he saw the men pulling out of their driveway in their truck before he even got back to his truck. He swerved to get around them after they attempted to block the roadway.

You're trying way too hard to overlook the obvious.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He said he saw the truck (not necessarily both men) pulling out of a driveway. I believe the shooter was outside the truck that pulled up behind him. It sounds like, perhaps, the elder Case dropped off his son at his son's home and then continued on his way to his own home/around the cul-de-sac. As I've said, the story isn't particularly clear. Then there's the whole what someone says and what actually happened isn't always the same.

There just appears to be a lot of hearsay and assumptions, and not a ton of evidence in the article.

It's also possible the elder Case dropped his son off and told him that he'd hold up the black man while his son got the gun. But, it's not really clear from the story.

Fiercely Independent.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

Brookhaven police chief asked to resign after shots fired at FedEx driver

Days after Black delivery van driver Demonterrio Gibson was chased and shot at while dropping off a package in Brookhaven, MS, two white men, Gregory Case, 58 and his son Brandon, 35 were arrested and released on bond on charges of conspiracy and shooting into a motor vehicle. 

Gibson, 24, told The Associated Press that he was in uniform on January 24th delivering a package shortly after 7 p.m. when the incident happened. He was in an unmarked van when he noticed a white pickup truck pulling away from another house on the same large lot. The pickup driver tried to cut him off as he exited the driveway. Gibson says he moved around the truck but encountered a second man. 

“I drive down about two or three houses and there’s another guy standing in the middle of the street with a gun pointed at my vehicle,” Gibson said in his statement. The man motioned for him to stop. “I’m looking at him, like shaking my head, because why would I stop for somebody with a gun? I start hitting the gas trying to get out of the neighborhood because I don’t know what his intentions are.”

Gibson said the man fired as he drove away, damaging the van and packages inside. As he fled, one of his FedEx managers called him, and when Gibson told her what had happened, she ordered him to return to the station. As he drove, Gibson noticed the pickup truck was following him. He said the white pickup chased him to the interstate highway near Brookhaven before ending the chase. 

The Lincoln County NAACP scheduled a Saturday press conference to address the incident but chapter president, Rev. Dr. Rico Cain, says they made the decision to cancel at the last minute because of what he says was an “overbearing police presence.” 

“There were law enforcement officers behind buildings and around corners,” he said. “We had people canvas the grounds doing different counts in different areas for law enforcement, and the police officers you saw were not the only ones.”

Gibson’s attorney, Carlos Moore, compared the incident to the killing of Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man who was shot running through a Georgia subdivision in 2020. Three white strangers chased him down. Those men were also a father and son duo. The two were convicted of murder and sentenced to life. 

“It’s just sad that it happens. It seems to be a copycat duo copying off the Ahmaud Arbery case,” he said. “They saw this man was a Black man, and they just hauled off and shot at him multiple times, at least the younger son did. The older guy tried to entrap him. They were working concertedly to try to entrap and kill this man. I mean, they shot at him several times. It’s amazing that he survived.”

Moore says he wants the men charged with a hate crime. 

“I want both of them charged with attempted murder,” Moore said. “They had no justification under the law to do what they did. This man had done nothing wrong, and we believe it was racially motivated.”

Cain says the victim’s family and the Brookhaven NAACP are asking for the resignations of Police Chief Kenneth Collins, Mayor Joe Cox, Lead Investigator Clint Earls, Investigator Vincent Fernando, and Assistant Chief Chris Case for what he says is their refusal to address incidents of racism that have happened in the city. 

Collins pushed back against those claims. He maintains Brookhaven is not a racist city. He says his department has opened an investigation with the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations to see if federal charges are warranted. 

“We’re not going to have outsiders coming in trying to stir that up,” he said. “Brookhaven is not a racist, prejudiced town. You can’t judge a town by the actions of two individuals.”

District Attorney Dee Bates said his office is aware of Gibson’s case and that once the police investigation concludes, the case will be presented before a municipal court. Then, it will go before the district attorney and a grand jury to seek an indictment. 

https://jacksonadvocateonline.com/b...esign-after-shots-fired-at-fedex-driver/

Yes this is all quite confusing.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Teacher and cousin of Black Lives Matter founder ‘Tased to death’ by LAPD

‘He needed help and was killed,’ says Patrisse Cullors, as police are seen repeatedly using stun gun on him after traffic accident

A cousin of Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors was killed by Los Angeles police after he got in a traffic accident and officers who showed up repeatedly Tased and restrained him in the middle of the street, according to body-camera footage and his family’s account.

Footage from the 3 January encounter released on Wednesday showed that Keenan Anderson, a 31-year-old high school teacher and father, was begging for help as multiple officers held him down, and at one point said, “They’re trying to George Floyd me.” One officer had his elbow on Anderson’s neck while he was lying down before another Tased him for roughly 30 seconds straight before pausing and Tasing him again for five more seconds.

“My cousin was asking for help, and he didn’t receive it. He was killed,” Cullors told the Guardian after watching the LAPD footage. “Nobody deserves to die in fear, panicking and scared for their life. My cousin was scared for his life. He spent the last 10 years witnessing a movement challenging the killing of Black people. He knew what was at stake and he was trying to protect himself. Nobody was willing to protect him.”

An officer who first arrived to the car collision at around 3.30pm at Venice and Lincoln boulevards found Anderson in the middle of the road, saying, “Please help me.” The officer told him to go on the sidewalk, and issued commands, saying, “Get up against the wall.” Anderson held his hands up, responding, “I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry.” Anderson complied with the officer’s commands and sat down on the sidewalk. After a few minutes, he appeared to be concerned with the officer’s behavior, saying, “I want people to see me,” and “You’re putting a thing on me.”

Eventually, Anderson started to flee, at which point the officer chased him on his motorcycle, shouting, “Get down to the ground, now,” and “Turn over on your stomach.” Anderson repeatedly responded, “Please help me,” and “They’re trying to kill me,” as multiple officers arrived and held him down. One of them placed his elbow and bodyweight on Anderson’s neck while he was lying with his back on the ground. At this point, the officer standing above him shouted, “Turn over or I’m going to Tase you.”

During the Tasing, Anderson repeatedly said, “Help me,” as the officer told him to stop resisting.

Paramedics later arrived at the scene and took him to a hospital where, according to the LAPD, he went into cardiac arrest four and a half hours later and died.

‘His death could’ve been prevented’
Cullors and other advocates have questioned why it was necessary for armed police to show up to a collision.

“It was a traffic accident. Instead of treating him like a potential criminal, police should have called the ambulance,” said Cullors. “If there was a policy in which traffic stops were met with unarmed professionals who come to the scene to help with whatever situation has happened, that would have prevented my cousin’s death. And that would have prevented so many other deaths.”

She added, “These types of killings and this type of force will not be interrupted unless we have courageous elected officials come forward and challenge not just the police, but also the policies.”

National data has shown that roughly 10% of killings by police each year start with a traffic encounter, and that one in three people killed were fleeing before lethal force was used. Last year was the deadliest year for police violence since experts started tracking killings nationwide in 2013, according to a recent analysis. The LAPD has also fatally shot two people so far this year, and in 2020 killed Daniel Hernandez after he was in a car accident.

While some law enforcement officials and reform proponents have argued that Tasers are a “less lethal” weapon and an important tool to reduce police violence, experts and racial justice advocates have increasingly raised concerns about the mass deployment of stun guns. There is growing evidence of the potentially fatal consequences of Taser use, with a Reuters investigation finding more than 1,000 cases between 2000 and 2018 where people died after they were Tased.

Studies have also raised questions about the claim that Tasers provide a useful alternative to firearms, with research in San Francisco and Chicago suggesting that the widespread adoption of stun guns did not reduce fatalities, but that police were using Tasers in cases when they previously would have used no weapon. There have also been more than a dozen shootings by police in which the officers claimed they accidentally used their gun instead of their Taser, including the deaths of Oscar Grant and Daunte Wright.

Dr Melina Abdullah, co-founder of Black Lives Matter Los Angeles, who went with Cullors to watch the body-camera footage, said on Wednesday: “It’s a reminder that when we say ‘Black lives matter,’ we mean our own Black lives, too. We’re not fighting for some cause, we’re fighting for our own lives and for our people.”

The LAPD chief, Michel Moore, said in a news conference that Anderson’s behavior was “erratic” and he suffered a “medical emergency”. He claimed that a preliminary blood test revealed cannabis and cocaine in Anderson’s system. A formal cause of death, however, has not been determined, and advocates have criticized the department for releasing that information and suggesting drug use was related to his death.

“Keenan’s murder is absolutely horrific. LAPD is not calling it a ‘killing’, but calling it an ‘in-custody death’. But Keenan was Tased to death. We know LAPD caused Keenan’s death,” Abdullah said. “We know that a minor traffic accident shouldn’t result in the death of anyone, let alone the death of this Black man, who was clearly unarmed and wasn’t doing anything wrong.”

Moore said the Taser was “activated” against Anderson 10 times, but that not all deployments were “effective”, adding, “It’s unclear what role the physical struggle with the officers and the use of the Taser played in his unfortunate death.” He claimed Anderson was in an “altered mental state” and that as the investigation continues, “I will play close attention to the use of the Taser.”

Under LAPD policy, he said, “There is no pre-set limit on the number of times a Taser can be used in a particular situation, however, officers should generally avoid repeated or simultaneous activations to avoid potential injury.”

Cullors said she didn’t know his mental state, but that he appeared to be “terrified of police” and in crisis after getting in a crash.

Mayor Karen Bass called the footage of Anderson and the two fatal shootings this month “deeply disturbing” in a statement, adding, “We must reduce the use of force overall, and I have absolutely no tolerance for excessive force … When there is no immediate risk to others, law enforcement must not be the first responder when someone is experiencing a mental health crisis.”

‘A committed educator’
Anderson, who leaves behind a young child, was working as an English teacher at the Digital Pioneers Academy, a majority-Black school in Washington DC, and was visiting LA, said Cullors. He previously worked at several other schools, including a charter school in Watts in LA.

Cullors said she and Anderson were part of a large family that migrated from Louisiana “to get away from racism, to get away from the terrorizing of white supremacists and the structures that impact our communities”.

Cullors, a longtime organizer who has talked about her brother’s abuse in LA jail, is one of three women credited with founding the Black Lives Matter movement in 2013 after George Zimmerman was acquitted of murdering Trayvon Martin in Florida.

“I think about the migration of Black people and what we do to try to keep our families safe, and coming to California and Los Angeles as this ‘western haven’. Given the impact law enforcement has had on so many of my family members and now the killing of my cousin, it’s painful, because he was so committed to family.”

Cullors continued: “He was so committed to his students. He was so present for them and was an educator who believed in education.” She recalled how Anderson at a young age was driven to “be a better human being, to make a difference and to impact people’s lives”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...founder-cousin-killed-los-angeles-police

Well, he was obviously out of it, and they did the right thing arresting him. I think the tasing was a bit excessive, but understandable. We need to do better. But since he was related to the BLM organizer, it will be thoroughly investigated. I don't understand how cocaine and pot caused that.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/13/23 01:28 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Very sad. But it's never a good idea to do an eight ball and run through traffic.

Are these some kindler, gentler tasers? They seem like a terrible idea as well. I wouldn't want my officers "buzzing" them for a half hour to get someone to submit. Opens the door for a bunch of other things to happen -- almost all of them bad.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
The whole FedEx sending him out in an unmarked van seems strange. I wonder if he had upset a supervisor recently. Even if it wasn't a nefarious set up, having him go back to the same area seems like poor handling of the situation.

Wait, are we sure he actually worked for FedEx? Did he maybe work for a contractor? FedEx uses a contractor to deliver. They don't get the same benefits or pay that a FedEx driver gets but do the same job. Quite often, they are confused as direct employees of FedEx when in fact they are employees of a different company.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It would be akin to this: The u.s. pollutes too much, so we must curb our pollution. Great in theory, but when you have a hundred other countries that don't give a crap, and pollute like crazy, is punishing ourselves productive, or just a money thing?

Ah, the Johnny jumped off the cliff so I did too defense. The "other people are doing terrible things too so we should too" excuse.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
5 Memphis police officers fired in death of Tyre Nichols

Five Memphis police officers who were involved in the arrest of Tyre Nichols – who died three days after a traffic stop earlier this month – have been fired, the department announced Friday.

The five officers were dismissed following an "internal investigation" which determined that they "violated multiple department policies, including excessive force, duty to intervene, and duty to render aid," Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis said in a statement.

The five officers were identified by the department as Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills Jr. and Justin Smith.

On Jan. 7, the 29-year-old Nichols, who is Black, was arrested after officers stopped him for reckless driving, police said.

There was a confrontation as officers approached the driver, and he ran before he was confronted again by the pursuing officers, who arrested him, authorities said. He complained of shortness of breath and was hospitalized. Officials said a cause of death has not yet been determined.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the state's police agency, said Nichols died Jan. 10. The agency is conducting a use-of-force investigation at the request of Shelby County District Attorney General Steve Mulroy.

The five officers who were fired are all Black, according to a Memphis Police public information officer.

Federal authorities announced Wednesday they were launching a civil rights investigation into the actions of Memphis police.

Relatives have said that the officers who pulled over Nichols were in an unmarked vehicle and that he experienced cardiac arrest and kidney failure because of a beating by officers.

Davis and Mayor Jim Strickland said Tuesday that video footage of the arrest will be released after the police department's investigation is completed and the family can review it.

After initially declining comment on the Justice Department's investigation, the city of Memphis sent out a statement late Wednesday afternoon saying it will fully cooperate with the federal agencies conducting the probe.

At a memorial service for Nichols on Tuesday, family and friends remembered him as a joyful, lovable man who worked making boxes at FedEx, enjoyed skateboarding and regularly drank coffee and chatted with friends at Starbucks. Some of those in attendance wore T-shirts that read "Justice for Tyre," and "Skate in Peace."

Relatives said Nichols was from California and moved to Memphis about a year ago. He had two brothers and a sister, relatives said.

Nichols' stepfather, Rodney Wells, said during the service that Nichols' supporters want the officers involved in the arrest to be charged with first-degree murder.

"We're not going down without a fight," Wells said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/5-memphis-police-officers-fired-death-tyre-nichols-traffic-stop/

Police body cam footage is expected to be released any day now to the public. Five officers have been fired and the family has already seen the footage. One thing that can't be disputed, the video footage is so bad the city is expecting violence once the public sees the video that will be released............

Sheriff Warns of ‘Civil Unrest’ When Body Cam Footage is Released

https://mighty990.com/sheriff-warns-of-civil-unrest-when-body-cam-footage-is-released/

Memphis DA: Video release may coincide with charge decision

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/2-fire-dept-employees-removed-amid-investigation-death-96639353

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sheriff Warns of ‘Civil Unrest’ When Body Cam Footage is Released

No kidding? You’d think they’d smarten up and fire these officers immediately and release the video weeks ago. Instead optics looks like an attempt to cover up.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The officers have already been fired. The family has already been shown the video. I do understand what you're saying but I think we both understand what is to come. And that would happen no matter when the video was released.

And actually I have mixed feelings about what is pretty much guaranteed to happen. I understand the anger and frustration that brings on such violent responses by the murder of blacks by the police. This is something that has been happening throughout our nations history that doesn't seem to be going away. In this case it was five black police officers that were involved and fired. And I'm sure we'll see people try to use that as a reasoning as to why this isn't race related. Because what they fail to see is that this issue is black and blue, not black and white.

But even though I understand the anger and emotions involved, I will never quite understand the actions used in response. I don't understand how reacting with criminal behavior can possibly help your cause. I can't understand how destroying the very community you live in helps your life or the lives of others in your community. I don't understand how destroying the lives and livelihood of local small business owners and making them yet other victims addresses the people who wronged you. I'm of course looking at this through the limited lens of my life experiences. But these are things I find very confusing and contradictory to me.

I believe in both cases, what the officers did as well as the response that's associated with it, that all parties should be held accountable according to the law.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Memphis police chief: 5 officers responsible for "physical abuse" of Tyre Nichols

Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis on Wednesday said she had fired five police officers who were found to be "directly responsible" for the "physical abuse" of Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man who died days after a forceful encounter with officers during a traffic stop.

Why it matters: Davis said other Memphis Police Department officers are also under investigation for department policy violations during the Jan. 7 stop, though she did not say how many officers in total are currently under investigation.

Per Davis, at least five officers involved in the arrest were fired last week.
The police department previously said that officers involved in the traffic stop were relieved of duty pending the outcome of a Tennessee Bureau of Investigation probe.
“Some infractions are less egregious than others,” Davis said of the ongoing investigations.

The Department of Justice and the FBI Memphis Field Office are investigating whether Nichols' civil rights were violated during the encounter with police officers.

Attorneys representing Nichols' family alleged earlier this week that video from the traffic stop showed police officers "beating" Tyre Nichols for three minutes.
The police department said earlier in January that Nichols was taken to hospital "in critical condition" after two confrontations between Nichols and officers during an attempted arrest on Jan. 7.
The family's attorneys said Nichols died on Jan. 10 and that preliminary findings from an independent autopsy revealed he "suffered extensive bleeding caused by a severe beating."
An official cause of death for Nichols has not been issued by the Shelby County medical examiner's office.

What they're saying: "This is not just a professional failing. This is a failing of basic humanity toward another individual," Davis said in a video address released Wednesday.

"As this investigation, and other external investigations, continue, I promise full and complete cooperation from the Memphis Police Department with the Department of Justice, the FBI, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the Shelby County District Attorney's office to determine the entire scope of facts that contributed to Tyre Nichols' death," Davis said.

Video of the traffic stop has yet to be publicly released by state and local authorities, though it has been seen by Nichols' family and their attorneys, who said it shows Nichols being subjected to “unadulterated, unabashed, nonstop beating” by police officers.

Chief Davis said the video will show that the incident "was heinous, reckless and inhumane" when it is released "in the coming days."
"I expect you to feel what the Nichols family feels. I expect you to feel outrage in the disregard of basic human rights, as our police officers have taken an oath to do the opposite of what transpired on the video."

"I expect our citizens to exercise their First Amendment right to protest, to demand action and results, but we need to ensure our community is safe in this process. None of this is a calling card for inciting violence or destruction on our community or against out citizens."

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/26/me...uZMsyNaIZzGJrhk2gWKISzmjfUJXKMHtQWQXb1VM

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A

Ah, the Johnny jumped off the cliff so I did too defense. The "other people are doing terrible things too so we should too" excuse.

Are you REALLY so bored that you are replying to a post that's 42 days old?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Are you REALLY that concerned with how I spend my time? I review certain threads. It only takes a couple of minutes. I'm sorry you feel some need to make an issue out of that. Are you REALLY so bored you needed to make a post about it? See how that works?

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
5 former officers in custody, charged with murder in connection to death of Tyre Nichols

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Five officers involved in the death of Tyre Nichols were taken into custody at 201 Poplar on Thursday morning.

Those former MPD officers are: Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmit Martin III, Desmond Mills, Jr. and Justin Smith.

All five are charged with two counts of official misconduct, one count of official oppression, second-degree murder, aggravated assault-act in concert and two counts of aggravated kidnapping.

Smith, Haley and Martin are in jail on a $350,000 bond. Mills and Bean were booked on a $250,000 bond.

One officer, Emmit Martin, was indicted and turned himself in, according to his attorney Bill Massey.

Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. to provide an update on the investigation. Mulroy will be joined by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and other members of the DA’s office.

Tyre Nichols, 29, died on January 10, days after a confrontation with police put him in the hospital.

Nichols was pulled over by Memphis police in the Hickory Hill area on January 7 for what was originally reported as reckless driving.

Massey will be representing Martin, and attorney Blake Ballin will be representing Desmond Mills, Jr.

Congressman Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) released a statement on the floor of the House of Representatives on Thursday, saying:

“Right now, much of the national media is looking at Memphis as there was an awful killing of a 29-year-old African American man by five police officers within the last few weeks. The five police officers have been fired by the Police Department for violating their oaths…It could be a situation where people want to exercise their First Amendment rights to protest actions of the Police Department, and people should. But they should be peaceful and calm.

“We have a new D.A. We have a new U.S. Attorney. And we have a new Police Director. They are the right people at the right time to bring about reform and to deal with this case to see that justice is rendered.

“I grieve for the life of Tyre Nichols, whose life should not have been extinguished. He was an outstanding young man and it’s extremely sad that he was killed.

“I pray for my city.”
Steve Cohen

The five officers were fired following an internal investigation for their involvement, as well as two EMTs with Memphis Fire being relieved of duty pending the results of their own internal investigation.

MPD determined the officers violated multiple policies, including excessive use of force, duty to intervene and duty to render aid.

The United States Department of Justice and FBI announced the opening a civil rights investigation into the death on January 18.

Wednesday night, Memphis Police Chief CJ Davis issued a statement regarding the investigation.

“In light of the horrific circumstances surrounding the death of Tyre Nichols, it is absolutely incumbent upon me, your chief, to address the status of what the Memphis Police Department is doing, has done, and will continue to do in furtherance of finding truth in this tragic loss, ensuring we communicate with honesty and transparency, and that there is absolute accountability for those responsible for Tyre’s death,” Chief Davis said.

Family members and attorneys got the chance to review the police body cam footage Monday before it was publicly released. They also met with Memphis police.

Mulroy said in a statement that he expects the video will be publicly released this week or next week.

The family retained civil rights attorney Ben Crump and attorney Antonio Romanucci to represent them following Nichols’ death. Crump called the video “appalling, heinous, violent and troublesome.”

Crump said Nichols’ mother was unable to sit through more than a minute of the video. In that first minute, Tyre asked police officers, “What did I do?” Crump said.

Nichols’ funeral will take place at Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church on February 1 at 10:30 a.m.

Church officials say Reverend Al Sharpton will be on hand to deliver a eulogy.

https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/01...DTgvjXyjMVQPD9ugc5ysCOAUqZJZ3s5GaYbyJpVw

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Why did it take them nearly a month to fire and charge these officers? Optics isn’t on their side once again.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think the DA's office is doing this much better than you give them credit for. Your sticking point seems focused around the speed with which this was conducted. You seem to think a month is a long time to do a thorough investigation and bring charges. I don't believe that's so. While it may not be what some find acceptable, the police have much more leeway in using force and have the power of their unions to fight back against the city and for some reason are given carte blanche for using force to a great degree by much of the public. So in the end, I don't feel it's quite as simple as you're making it sound.

But let's instead look at the strategy here it seems they employed. It is known they are going to release the video. Both the local politicians and the police chief have spoken out about just how wrong this was. They have neither attempted to cover or make excuses for the actions of these officers. They charged and arrested the officers BEFORE they released the video. I think that's very smart. It shows the public they too see what happened in this video. That they too were were outraged and the officers who committed those crimes are being held responsible and face justice.

I actually don't believe a city could have handled it any better after the fact and have done everything within their power to try and mitigate the violence and harm that may come to the community as a rssult of this young mans murder.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Why did it take them nearly a month to fire and charge these officers? Optics isn’t on their side once again.

Likely do to die process concerns and unions.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Due process for one side. And what union was Tyre in again?

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Due process for one side. And what union was Tyre in again?

The officers also have due process and they are in a union.

Or did you ask why it took so long for Tyre to get fired and charged?

Legend
Legend
Eww boy. notallthere

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M

Lolz......gotta love the racism-baiting headlines.

Tackles are tackles.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Yeah, people have crazy opinions sometimes. This is about people being placed in power and then abusing that power.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I see where they are about to release the video on the whole matter.. This should be interesting

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Fatal beating of Tyre Nichols - videos:

https://vimeo.com/CityofMemphis

Legend
Legend
I can't imagine any circumstance under which I'd ever subject myself to watching this, or anything like it.
Toxic to the human soul.

I refuse to invite the evil in.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Here We Go again... Open Season?

Link Copied to Clipboard