Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
web page

Hatton camp backs referee choice

Ricky Hatton's team have given their approval to the appointment of Joe Cortez as referee for Saturday's showdown with Floyd Mayweather.
Cortez oversaw Hatton's win over Jose Luis Castillo in the summer with no complaints from the Briton's camp.

Trainer Billy Graham had voiced concerns that a weaker official might attempt to rein in the fighter's trademark rugged style.

"All we want is a fair shake and hopefully we'll get one," said Graham.

The veteran Puerto Rican is deemed more likely to allow Hatton to draw Mayweather into a close up confrontation, which many feel is his best chance of victory.

Graham also hopes the referee is not tempted to bring the fight to a premature end because of cuts.

"I'm a realist", he said. "I always worry about facial injuries and cuts but we've got a great cuts man in Mick Williamson and I hope we've got a referee who is not squeamish."

Mayweather has already drawn attention to what he sees as Hatton's aggressive approach, insisting the Briton should have been penalised for excessive use of his elbows during his win over Kostya Tszyu.

But Hatton is taking encouragement from the fact that the closest Mayweather has come to defeat was in his first fight with Castillo, another come-forward opponent, in 2002.

Hatton said: "In his first fight, was Castillo's footwork as good as Ricky Hatton's? Was his body punching as good? Is he as big a hitter? Does he have as much boxing ability?

"I would have to say no to all of them. I think even in his prime I am better in every department."

Castillo himself believes Hatton can cause an upset in Las Vegas on Saturday.

He said: "Mayweather is very quick and sharp but Hatton throws a lot of heavy punches, moves better and is faster than people believe.

"Hatton is a very proud, strong fighter and he can win. I have no doubt about that."

web page

Hatton banking on crowd support

Ricky Hatton says the vast majority of the Las Vegas crowd will be cheering for him when he fights Floyd Mayweather in Saturday's WBC welterweight clash.
The Briton even believes some American fans will back him at the MGM Grand.

"Even in his home town, I believe the vast majority will be cheering for me," Hatton told BBC One's Inside Sport.

"When you see how Floyd belittles people, throwing his money in their face - you're not going to get a following doing that."

Hatton, 29, said fans warmed to him because of his modest, down-to-earth demeanour.

In contrast, 30-year-old Mayweather is renowned for being brash and arrogant.

"That's why I have the following I do - not just because of the way I fight, but because of the way I am," Hatton said.

"There are only going to be 5,000 Brits in the venue on the night, but I believe there's 20,000 come out for the weekend.

"We even get fan mail and e-mails from the US. I shouldn't get patted on the back for being it, because it's the way everyone should be.

"Floyd has a 'look at me, look at you' type of attitude with his money."

Tickets for the fight at the 16,000-seat MGM Grand sold out months ago.

The fight is being billed as "Undefeated", because it pits champion Mayweather, who is undefeated in 38 fights, against Hatton, who has won all of his 43.

#gmstrong
Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
web page

Mayweather cools 'bad guy' role

Floyd Mayweather has sought to repair his public image ahead of his Las Vegas fight with Ricky Hatton on 8 December.
The WBC welterweight king has alienated many fans with his constant trash talk, while support for down-to-earth British challenger Hatton has been growing.

Mayweather said: "Each fight has to have a good guy and a bad guy, but I'm just saying I believe in my skills.

"Everybody's entitled to judge a person how they want to do, but I've got a good heart."

The American added: "I never did anything illegal, and all I did was go out there to dedicate myself to the craft of boxing.

"I conduct myself like a gentleman. I'm not out there pushing Ricky Hatton off the stage or shoving him.

"When I fought Oscar de la Hoya I was the bad guy, but when I fought Zab Judah I was the good guy because he was even worse than I was.

"Ricky Hatton is not a trash talker, Floyd Mayweather has been a trash talker for over a decade. I've been in 18 or 19 championship fights and I know what it takes.

"That's the hand you're dealt and you have to deal with it. Everything is a struggle, but you don't let anything break your confidence."

Mayweather, 30, seen as the world's current best pound-for-pound fighter, denied his brash confidence meant he was underestimating Hatton.

"I don't overlook any of my opponents," he claimed. "I always approach every fight in a great manner and I am always pushing myself to the limit and trying to get the best out of myself.

"I'll continue to do that. I always train hard and I dedicate myself so that in 20 years' time when my grandkids read stories about me they'll know that I was one hell of a good fighter."

Hatton preferred to stay focused on the fight and insists he is well prepared for what Mayweather might throw at him.

"The tactics are going to be clear; I'll be on the front foot and Floydy will be on the back foot," he said.

"We might stand toe-to-toe for a bit - he likes to stand in there and make opponents miss and soak up shots - but I've got to be careful I don't put in too many punches the first six rounds and leave a bit of energy for the final six.

"But, tactically, I think I know what he's up to and I believe I'm going to do it."

Now IRE....weren't we up for a sig bet?

#gmstrong
E
All Pro
All Pro
E
I have a really good feeling Ricky will give Floyd the beating he deserves. One of my mates is having a house party and has ordered the fight so I am looking forward to a great fight and an English victory

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
When is the fight?

I think I may look to watch it on sopcast.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope Ricky Fatton pulls this one off. I think the fight is going to hinge on if the ref allows Ricky to bully Mayweather around. I dont thing Mayweather has evenr really been challenged and it will be interesting to see how he responds to someone really pushing him.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Ricky is way too slow for Mayweather, I think Mayweather is going to do Hatton the same way he did Gotti.. ....Embarrass him

Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

When is the fight?

I think I may look to watch it on sopcast.

Quote:

Floyd Mayweather has sought to repair his public image ahead of his Las Vegas fight with Ricky Hatton on 8 December.

Let's go Ricky, in close and use them crippling body shots fatman.....

#gmstrong
Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
web page

Building up nicely this one.

Mayweather rejects injury concern

Hatton v Mayweather
Date: Sunday, 8 December
Starts from: 0100 GMT
Listen: BBC Radio 5live
Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Floyd Mayweather has dismissed rumours that his fragile hands will cause the postponement of this weekend's super-fight against Ricky Hatton.

Mayweather, 30, cancelled a training session on Monday, leading to reports that Sunday's fight in Las Vegas might be called off.

But Mayweather told BBC Sport: "The fight's not in jeopardy at all.

"My hands are great and there will be no excuses. I feel tremendous and training camp went well for me."

The American added: "He'll (Hatton) fight his heart out, but he's got a weakness and on fight night I'll show you what it is. It won't go the distance."

Mayweather, who was booed at a photo opportunity at the MGM Grand on Tuesday, said he was not fazed at being given such a hostile reception in his hometown.

"I'm always being put in that position," said the five-weight world champion, who will be putting his WBC welterweight belt on the line against Hatton.

"It was the same when I fought Arturo Gatti (Mayweather won by stoppage last June) and the same when I fought Oscar de la Hoya (Mayweather won by split decision in May of this year).

"You've got to have a villain and they'll always make me a villain. I'm used to it - it makes me work harder and it makes me fight harder.

"Ricky Hatton never had this many fans here before - it's all part of the Mayweather experience. I'm putting him in a position to buy a lot of Guinness."

Mayweather, who is unbeaten in 38 professional encounters, added that he believes Hatton is rattled and will be made to pay for any anger in the ring.

"Have you known Ricky Hatton to be a trash-talker before?" added Mayweather.

"No? Exactly. He'll fight hard because he's mad and upset. If you fight angry, you make a lot of mistakes, and when you fight a sharp, witty fighter like me, you can't make mistakes.

"He's been down, he cuts easily, he swells and he's fighting the best in the sport. Everyone talks about Hatton's pressure - pressure, pressure, pressure, it's been the same game-plan against me since 1987."

Mayweather was also confident experienced referee Joe Cortez would not put up with any roughhouse tactics from 29-year-old Hatton, who is unbeaten in 43 bouts.

"You can't use roughhouse tactics in Las Vegas," he said.

"Over here, we have the Nevada Commission and we have a tremendous referee in Joe Cortez, and they're fair and firm.

"Boxing is an art, a science. This is smart, intelligent boxing over here in the States."

#gmstrong
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Lots of guys had the same thought. Care to guess how many have had luck using that tactic ? I just hope that your boy will be entertaining because I honsetly don't hold much hope for him to win this fight . As for the ref ... I like Joe and he won't put up with any nonesense in the ring but I hope he stays out of the outcome and just lets them bang away . Any way it goes..here's to a good scrap and may the best man ( Pretty Boy Floyyd ) win.

Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Sig bet to run until Xmas??

#gmstrong
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Ugghh !! I really dislike Mayweather but I really think this will be a snoozer so sure why not . I don't have to fly the Union Jack do I ?

Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I don't have to fly the Union Jack do I ?

Well i "was" struggling for inspiration. (Note:Past tense)

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Just clicking..

Anyone watch the Mayweather/Hatton 24/7 series on HBO?

I am not a huge boxing fan by any means, but man, watching that series has me rooting for Hatton big time.

I heart winning
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Yeah, Mayweather is and always has been a punk but now Riddler has me in a position to actually root for this turd . I hope that Hatton rocks him early and often but I'm betting that won't happen ....sigh. Oh well it's a win/win for me saturday night either way it pans out.

Legend
Legend
i gotta see this fight...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i gotta see this fight...

Me too but I don't know if I can afford it. I need to figure out how to use SopCast and hopefully someone will have it on there. Never used SopCast before.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
some bar has to be showing it right?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Looks like all of England came down for this one at the weigh in. I hope Hatton can pull this off tonight, the Strip will be filled with Manchester's finest.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow, can't believe the sound of the Brits over there. They're always passionate about their sports.

My in-laws are out there now, wonder how busy it is. I'm sure it is.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Boxing just kind of bores me anymore. I love the sport but thee really aren't a lot of great fighters anymore (at any weight class) , atleast not like there used to be. Boxing also hasn't had a heavyweight super talent since Tyson and he fizzled out unceremoniously.

Legend
Legend
Is there a possible chance the winner and Kelly Pavlik ever get into the same weight class,...?? I don't follow close enough to know,...

In the meantime, I gotta go for the American, as loud mouth and foul that he is.

Then maybe a chance for KP to shut him up,...??

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Is there a possible chance the winner and Kelly Pavlik ever get into the same weight class,...???

Well the middleweight max is 160(whick Pavlik struggles to get down to) and the welterweight max is 147(which Haton struggles to make). I would think there would be a better chance of Hatton moving up the Pavs moving down.

After Hatton takes care of Mayweather tonight that could be a interesting scenario.

KING

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have my 7 mo old daughter to watch, wife has to work the closing shift tonight.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I have my 7 mo old daughter to watch, wife has to work the closing shift tonight.

We all have our problems,...

Just busting your chops,....I have a 28 year old, he is the joy of my life next to the old lady,...take care of that little diamond !!

Legend
Legend
WOW!!!

I was planning on watching UFC tonight, but I may have to go to a bar and watch thsi fight... wow...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

<><

#gmstrong
Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ricky sure is pumped for this one.

"Lets (________) ave 'im!"

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I am with you Riddler, GO Hatton!

I have about 6 buds comin over to my place for the festivities. Seems like all my buddies are rooting for Floyd strictly on nationalism.

Should be fun! My GF is outta town so I gots the apt to myself with beer, buddies, and a what should be a good fight.

I heart winning
Legend
Legend
What time is the fight?

<><

#gmstrong
Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
04:00 GMT.....which i think is 3pm Down Under....which means about 2 hrs 5o from now...but don't quote me.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Thanks Riddler... was trying to igure out when I had to get my sopcast going.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Alright!

I got UFC on my TV and Boxing on Sopcast!!! The sopcast channel I have going though is in spanish... kind of sucks, btu great quality so far.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Check that - I think it's french... doesn't matter.. no idea what they are saying.

<><

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If someone finds an english station please let me know....although the Romanian commercials make me chuckle a little bit in between rounds.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I cant get the sopcast to work, it keeps buffering between 27% and 32%.

What round is it?

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I cant get the sopcast to work, it keeps buffering between 27% and 32%.

What round is it?

prelime fight right now

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=3131&part=sports

go there - get the last channel ProTV - going fairly well.

<><

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm at 72% on 33767. Not sure what round...6 maybe? Guy in gold goes down!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm at 72% on 33767. Not sure what round...6 maybe? Guy in gold goes down!

You're ahead of me by like 30 seconds... wow - what a hit!

<><

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Cherry Bomb!!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ricky v Floyd... Let's get it on!!

Link Copied to Clipboard