Next Thread
Print Thread
#1993427 12/17/22 12:05 PM
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
How good is Amari Cooper among Browns WR's all time?

Well, Really, all time meaning from about the mid 80s which is when I started paying attention. I think, Amari Cooper might rank about the Top, or top 2 of WR's who have played for the Browns in thirty five years.

Now we can't say in production, not yet, but in RELIABILITY, and likelihood to win a game for you.
Other Candidates who were or would have been more reliable than Amari Cooper over the past 30 year...40 years
so Where would Amari Cooper rank on this list.

Webster Slaughter
Andre Rison
Josh Gordon
Braylon Edwards
Vice Grips, I can't google vice grips I always forget his name. edit: Jarvis Landry
Kellen Winslow Jr. as a WR from the TE position.
... Josh Cribbs
Micheal Jackson / Dyson
Eric Metcalf
Odell Beckham Jr.
Kevin Johnson
Taylor Gabriel.....
David Njoku as a WR from the TE position
Mark Edwards the TE
OJ Santiago the TE
Joe Jurevicious
Andre Davis
Dennis Northcutt
Reggie Langhorne
Brian Brennan
@uincy Morgan
JuJuan Dawson
. Derrick Alexander
and Rashard Higgins
Jordan Payton,
the first round player from the year Higgins was drafted with Payton and.. ... 2nd edit: Corey Coleman
Ricardo Louis
Travis Benjamin,
Andre Stalworth
Evan Moore the TE,
... Well of course the guy I didn't like who GM'd the Ravens for 20 years TE, Ozzie Newsome

Where would Amari Cooper rank on the all time or this list of Browns Wide Receivers
in terms of reliability?
I think he'd be pretty near the top, at least the top half.

And who is the biggest name I didn't mention or completely forgot. from memory? except Vice Grips and the first rounder from Higgins' year. ...... a couple from year 2020,

Last edited by THROW LONG; 12/17/22 12:14 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's OK minus all the drops.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think one season gives you that kind of ranking. It's not like he's putting up numbers anywhere close to a Jefferson or a Chase from last year, so I'll reserve judgement. As far as Browns players, he might have been before your time but a local boy from Warren, OH was one of the best if not the best in a Browns uniform, Hall of Famer - Paul Dryden Warfield was pretty damn good.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Cooper is somewhere in the following list:

Brian Brennan
Webster Slaughter
Jarvis Landry
Kevin Johnson
Reggie Langhorne

Eric Metcalf Was a RB but was as reliable as any catching the Ball ....

And Lets NOT Forget

Paul Warfield
Gary Collins
Dave Logan
Ozzie Newsome
Reggie Rucker
Ricky Feacher

To Name a Few that Watched

Last edited by PastorMarc; 12/20/22 02:48 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Cooper is good for this offense and what this offense demands
He is a good 2nd tier WR. He could start for a handful
Of NFL teams. The Ravens , Bears, Rams.
Very solid WR who is precise route runner.
Reminds me of Reggie Langhorne but bigger

V
Legend
Legend
V
There are far more teams that he could start for than your list. Hell, he was the #1 WR in Dallas just last year.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
really - just those three teams - lol.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
There are far more teams that he could start for than your list. Hell, he was the #1 WR in Dallas just last year.
As a #1...Colts Ravens..Texans...Saints...Bears...Pats..Giants..Jags.
#2...Raiders...Vikings...Cards..Packers.Falcons...Panthers...Steelers...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Cooper is an above average receiver and has played well, but he wasn't the #1 WR in Dallas last year. CeeDee Lamb was the #1 and was the main reason the Cowboys were able to part ways with Cooper - that and his excessive contract. To date, CeeDee Lamb is outperforming Cooper this year too.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry, I didn't do the research and I'm just winging it with this guess...but I think he could start for that Browns team that's in Cleveland. Could even be their #1 option. That's if they still have a team there. angel

V
Legend
Legend
V
The number of catches doesn't really tell the entire story. What is more important is which WR does the defense think is the #1. They roll coverages toward that guy or perhaps put their best cover corner on him. Here is an article about who was the #1, #2, and #3 WRs for Dallas last year.

https://thelandryhat.com/2021/06/07/dallas-cowboys-top-3-wide-receivers-2021/2/

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's kinda weird that sometimes we have elite talent. Other times we have terrible talent. It all depends on what point is trying to be made.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, it's very odd conversation.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
It's kinda weird that sometimes we have elite talent. Other times we have terrible talent. It all depends on what point is trying to be made.

Nah...what's weird is that last year everything that ailed the Browns was due to the QB who staked a flag on OSU's turf after beating their ass years prior...and then this year everything that ails the Browns is anything but what has been the consistent problem for (3) years now. That's not trying to make a point...that's just an observation.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't on the board last year. But, nice try.

P
Legend
Legend
P

And Dallas made the decision to elevate CeeDee Lamb to #1 over Cooper. Sure Cooper could start for many teams, but he wouldn't be the #1 WR on that many teams and that's what he's being paid for in Cleveland. There's a huge difference between "he could play for many teams" and "he would be the #1 WR on many teams". The amount their contract pays them determines who a teams #1 WR is supposed to be. And all one has to do is look at how the Browns WR contracts play out to see who is being paid to be #1.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

And Dallas made the decision to elevate CeeDee Lamb to #1 over Cooper. Sure Cooper could start for many teams, but he wouldn't be the #1 WR on that many teams and that's what he's being paid for in Cleveland. There's a huge difference between "he could play for many teams" and "he would be the #1 WR on many teams". The amount their contract pays them determines who a teams #1 WR is supposed to be. And all one has to do is look at how the Browns WR contracts play out to see who is being paid to be #1.

You sure like to move the goalposts just to start a fight. Here is the comment I was responding to. Read closely.

Cooper is good for this offense and what this offense demands
He is a good 2nd tier WR. He could start for a handful
Of NFL teams. The Ravens , Bears, Rams.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm sorry that pointing out Cooper is being paid #1 money but would certainly not be the #1 WR on many teams at all offends you. I believe my post is accurate. Just because you have no legitimate response for it doesn't mean I wanted to fight.

Amari Cooper is tied for the 11th highest paid WR in the NFL in 2022.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/who-are-highest-paid-wide-receivers-nfl

And while CeeDee Lamb is the 8th most productive WR in the NFL, Amari Cooper ranks 30th.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-wide-receiver-rankings-2022/ofv5eqcn35bwt2hbhf9vvdwa

Cooper is being severely overpaid.

Now you can certainly choose to address that or not. But dismissing it by some claim that I just want to fight is pretty weak on your part.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I wasn't on the board last year. But, nice try.

Yes - and there was so much less agenda posting and animosity. Coincidence? No.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Cooper is a pretty good Wr. Are they targeting him enough in the red zone?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don’t really see vers’s “agenda posting” in this thread. I know he likes to stir the pot but pit is pretty good at it, too, lol.

Cooper is a very good player for us, and he would be a #1 WR for a lot of teams. Great hands, excellent route-runner, I hope he’s here next season.

He’s above average, what’s wrong with keeping above-average players?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That doesn't offend me at all. However, I never said he would be the #1 WR on many teams. I objected to the stripper saying he could only START for a handful of teams. But, you do you.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I think Amari Cooper has made DPJ a better WR. I'm sure DPJ
Has asked Amari a billion questions on how
To do this better , how to do that better. Kinda of a mentor
Teacher kinda thing
Last year I don't think OBJ or Jarvis wasn't in any kind
Of mindset to help DPJ become a better WR.
The locker room was so divided and toxic
Leadership was void and invisible last season
Cooper is the best acquired WR the Browns have had
In quite some time. He is a pros pro.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That doesn't offend me at all. However, I never said he would be the #1 WR on many teams. I objected to the stripper saying he could only START for a handful of teams. But, you do you.

I was simply expanding the conversation as it fits the thread title. How good Is Amari Cooper" I think Cooper is a good WR. Who is "the stripper"?

I compared his pay with his production and pointed out he was replaced by a WR with better production and feel he is a bit overpaid. If you restrict the conversation to could he start for most if not all NFL teams I would most certainly agree with you. But one would hope a WR you're paying 20 million dollars to would make most if not all NFL rosters. That's a rather low bar to be setting at that price tag.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
He's OK minus all the drops.

I'm forgetting a lot lately but I can only remember ONE DROP from him this season. I definitely see Watson preferring DPJ over him lately. Talk about getting Hopkins this off season? Hey I'm telling you we are becoming a passing team more and more.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's dropped about 6 eo.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How Good is Amari Cooper.

Link Copied to Clipboard