Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...arctica-hole-united-nations/11022026002/

A new United Nations report says Earth's protective ozone layer is slowly but noticeably healing. The hole over Antarctica should be fully mended in about 43 years.
Scientists and environmental advocates across the world have long hailed the efforts to heal the ozone hole as one of the biggest ecological victories for humanity.
A 1987 worldwide agreement called the Montreal Protocol banned certain classes of chemicals. The level of those chemicals in the upper atmosphere has decreased.

Guess what? Humans can heal or further destroy life on earth. Takes a lot longer to heal the longer our leaders ignore it.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
what do you do when competing news organizations spin different information?

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/09/the-earths-ozone-layer-is-slowly-recovering-un-report-finds-.html

Scientists said the recovery is gradual and will take many years. If current policies remain in place, the ozone layer is expected to recover to 1980 levels — before the appearance of the ozone hole — by 2040, the report said, and will return to normal in the Arctic by 2045.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
F
Legend
Legend
F
What's the different information? It is almost the exact same article.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
What's the different information? It is almost the exact same article.

It’s exactly the same info from the same original source. The original article posted ….” The global average amount of ozone 18 miles high in the atmosphere won’t be back to 1980 pre-thinning levels until about 2040, the report said. And it won’t be back to normal in the Arctic until 2045.” And “ Over Antarctica, where the layer is so thin there’s an annual giant gaping hole, full healing won't come until 2066, the report said”

SB just trying to cause trouble like a good right wing nut.

As I mentioned the longer our leaders ignore environmental issues that threatens life on earth the longer the earth will take to heal.

– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow!!! It really does take more faith to not believe in a God, than it does to believe a God is in control!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
true……god is punishing us for destroying his creations. Enjoy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 01/10/23 05:03 PM.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
So are you saying that God was in control while man was destroying the ozone or that he only took control when made took measures to help save it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Let it be in name of the lord as we continue to wipe life off the face of the earth. Gods will be done.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
At least Christians aren't sacrificing infants to make god favor them anymore. I guess that's what progress is on the right.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I remember the early talk about the ozone layer.
Researchers had found that our man-made chemical compound chlorofluorocarbon was a major contributor. Easy to produce, it was used in almost all aerosol sprays.
I also remember the raging debate that took place. It sounded exactly like the climate change debate we're having right now. Same tone, same sides...

Well, here's how I'm seeing it: back in the 80's, gov't set some regulatory standards. Big Chem/Big Biz adapted, and found less harmful compounds to perform the same task. Here we are, 40 years later, with major progress on the ozone recovery front. And here's the kicker: it didn't take heroic human measures to get here. All it took was for us to put less poison in the air. When we got out of the way, better things started happening. Mother Nature is healing herself.

cause/effect.
if this/then that.

So... taking it one step further, I see our modern-day issues as taking the same trajectory. Gov't will set some standards (which won't be perfect), folks will howl, Big Biz will adapt, and we'll see improvements by, oh- maybe 2080 or so.

It just takes us so long.
When I was 14, I really thought that we'd be farther along by now.

Damn.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
At least Christians aren't sacrificing infants to make god favor them anymore. I guess that's what progress is on the right.

No Christians never sacrificed Children. That was a Pagan ritual that Christ spoke out against harshly. We continue it in our Country today. It is called abortion!!! When Abraham was going to sacrifice Isaac God provided Abaraham a lamb for sacrifice in place of Isaac. Just as he does us today, Jesus!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I always chuckle when people give credence to a fictional story about a mentally ill person hearing voices in his head telling him to kill as a religious revelation.

naughtydevil

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There goes your religion twisting your brain into a tizzy again. Relax and breathe the poison in the air that God put there for you.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Researchers had found that our man-made chemical compound chlorofluorocarbon was a major contributor. Easy to produce, it was used in almost all aerosol sprays.
I also remember the raging debate that took place. It sounded exactly like the climate change debate we're having right now. Same tone, same sides...

Well, here's how I'm seeing it: back in the 80's, gov't set some regulatory standards. Big Chem/Big Biz adapted, and found less harmful compounds to perform the same task. Here we are, 40 years later, with major progress on the ozone recovery front. And here's the kicker: it didn't take heroic human measures to get here. All it took was for us to put less poison in the air. When we got out of the way, better things started happening. Mother Nature is healing herself.

cause/effect.
if this/then that.

So... taking it one step further, I see our modern-day issues as taking the same trajectory. Gov't will set some standards (which won't be perfect), folks will howl, Big Biz will adapt, and we'll see improvements by, oh- maybe 2080 or so.

Damn.

Damn right. Tho I’m not surprised we are exactly where we’re at because of greed, and insane nutbags that think we aren’t in control of our own destiny on Earth.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

cause/effect.
if this/then that.

Damn.

Damn right. Tho I’m not surprised we are exactly where we’re at because of greed, and nutbags that think we aren’t in control of our own destiny on Earth.

I don't know that we are in control of our own destiny. Maybe to some degree in some ways. In others, we have no control. As an example, I don't think we have any control if and when Yellowstone blows it's stack.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
….um ok

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 01/11/23 10:56 AM.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Lol ,,,if I was god I’d have blown Yellowstone’s lid the minute Europeans walked upon the caldera. And even that wouldn’t have wiped out human life on earth.

And didn’t NASA just redirect a asteroid on a new trajectory recently?

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 01/11/23 11:03 AM.

– Jackie Robinson
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Read this thread while logged out. So glad this dude is blocked, very very odd.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Whatever... crazy crazy

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
You are certainly correct that some things are out of our control. I believe what most people are asking for is not to neglect doing the things that are. You see, I'm a believer in God. As such my opinion is he's not in favor of us purposely destroying the planet he provided for us to live in. Sort of like when parents give their child a car and they trash that car which shows zero appreciation for it. That child refuses to get the oil changed, do any maintenance, refuses to wash it and keeps throwing fast food trash in the back seat. I've known parents that has happened to. They were not happy about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There is only one thing out of control on this Earth that can completely wipe out all life.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
You are certainly correct that some things are out of our control. I believe what most people are asking for is not to neglect doing the things that are. You see, I'm a believer in God. As such my opinion is he's not in favor of us purposely destroying the planet he provided for us to live in. Sort of like when parents give their child a car and they trash that car which shows zero appreciation for it. That child refuses to get the oil changed, do any maintenance, refuses to wash it and keeps throwing fast food trash in the back seat. I've known parents that has happened to. They were not happy about it.

I'll bet your dad kicked your butt.
thumbsup

I don't know anybody who is in favor of trashing the planet. Any disagreements are more about the "how's and why's" rather than need or no need.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
Off topic:

When we were doing rentals, we would meet potential renters in the driveway, so that we could peak at and inside their vehicle. In our experience, how someone keeps their vehicle interior is telling of how they will keep their(OUR) house.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know about that Peen. You have many climate change deniers. You have many that claim nothing we can do will help. You have those fighting against alternative energy use.

I'm not sure denial and procrastination would be considered on the list of "how's and why's" to correct it.

That's almost the exact same things we heard back when those who were concerned wanted to have unleaded gas and prohibit the use of CFCs in the 1980's.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not really off topic. Seems they aren’t littering up our environment with all their car trash.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't know about that Peen. You have many climate change deniers. You have many that claim nothing we can do will help. You have those fighting against alternative energy use.

I'm not sure denial and procrastination would be considered on the list of "how's and why's" to correct it.

That's almost the exact same things we heard back when those who were concerned wanted to have unleaded gas and prohibit the use of CFCs in the 1980's.

...It's still how's and why's. I don't think anybody* is down with destroying the planet.

* ok, maybe there are a few nutjobs out there

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
They certainly do not state their intentions that way. And maybe they don't even believe that's what they're actuallly supporting.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Either way I think we agree on the environment. Now we are just trying to determine what shade of red the beans are.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really think the USA and our allies need to ban doing business with countries that refuse to have the same environmental standards we do.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I’d agree if the USA didn’t already have crappy environmental standards.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Freon and Acid rain was proven to be accurate, but climate change is speculation.

Politics and science don’t belong in the same sentence, but I did it anyway…

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
CO2 Proven to cause global warming. Global warming=Climate change. No speculating going on about it. No politics. No religion either.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe he is one of those "few people" Peen was talking about?

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Probably is. Those who speculate on proven science must be.

– Jackie Robinson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Earth's ozone layer is slowly healing, UN says; Antarctica hole could fully mend by 2066

Link Copied to Clipboard